V

Humiliation

 

 

 

Luhan

 

“I said stop it!” Her voice rang so hard on the second attempt to stop the bullying. I couldn’t believe the thing that was happening—Im Yoona, the very person who dragged me into hell and closed the door behind me, is also the very person who tried to save my from being fried there to death. Through the misty vision I had in my eyes, I managed to see the thin form of a girl—whom I assumed was none other than Yoona—approach me.

 

I sat on the floor, waiting for her, like a cornered animal who’s trying frantically to find a way to get out of his zoo cage without having the oglers see him, just sneak away undetected. Those thoughts consumed me, from a moment to the next. All I wanted to do was escape the cafeteria for now, and maybe escape the whole universe for later… but no; the latter was highly unlikely—I wouldn’t give up; I won’t do what Minseok did no matter what happened to me, and no matter how much I got bullied. I was not going to die. Not because of a couple of bullies who couldn’t get their thoughts straight.

 

“Are you okay?” I haven’t realized she was so close, even knelt down next to me. There was no levity in her voice, and her voice didn’t convey any humor as she apologized while examining the shoulder and arm I used to cover my face from the attack. “Luhan, I’m so sorry.”

 

The tears rolled down my cheeks before I could stop them. Without even thinking my words through, I found myself talking back to her. “It’s your entire fault. Because of you, I am being treated that way all the damn time. Because of you, I wasn’t even allowed to grieve over the loss of my only friend.” I know it was the stupidest thing to say, at the worst time I could’ve ever picked to say them too, but I was desperate to get them out of my heart, and to her face. What’s even worse is the way I reacted after telling her what I’ve wanted to say for the past two years.

 

Instead of getting up with her and fleeing the hell out of here, I hunched my shoulders as I hugged my knees and let the tears wash away my sorrow. I couldn’t keep my eyes locked with hers for longer than a few seconds, and then I sat with my face in my hands for a long time, just trying to get it all out.

 

The chants around us resumed—this time badmouthing Yoona alongside myself. I couldn’t help thinking; she brought this upon herself, and well… she deserves to have a taste of her medicine as well. I lifted my head to see what kind of expression she had on her face when bullied like me, only to see her, surprisingly unfazed. She kept staring at me apologetically, her hands never leaving my dirtied sleeve. “We need to get out of here first, and then we can talk,” she told me, and I started to respond properly by nodding.

 

Even if she was my enemy, even if she was the last person I wanted to be with right now, she was the only one who was willing to help me out of this situation—this impossible situation with all of its impossible odds.

 

Reality reminded me that we were locked in; literally locked in, so fleeing through the doors wasn’t technically an option. My eyes slumped shut and I let out a shuddered breath as I broke it down to her, “there’s no way out. We’d have to wait for someone to come and save us..” which means endure the humiliation until we get our asses saved, but I didn’t say the rest of it since she knew how this would end anyway. And I was right.

 

Yoona squeaked when someone splashed her back with water. Her whole blouse became a see-through as the gallons of water, from every direction, soaked her up. Her wavy hair turned flat and dripping with water as the next buck hit her face right dead on. Yoona gasped sharply, hung open from the shock. She wiped her face and slumped down next to me—she’d been sitting on her haunches earlier. A smile found its way to my face, and as wicked as this seemed, I couldn’t bring myself to feel sorry for her. I could only snicker like a sick psycho, and watch her glare at me with turmoil-filled eyes. At least she knew how I truly felt about her now; I never, and will never pity her... ever.

 

“There’s a way out of here. Around the kitchen, no one is guarding it. If we can get there fast..” Despite her ugly feelings toward me at the moment, Yoona got up first and then pulled me up. I ignored the discomfort in my hurt leg and allowed her to help me. “Quick!” on her cue we ran like cowards—or she ran in narrowed, close steps while I hopped beside her.

 

“Hey!” Jaejoong’s voice roared behind us. “Faster!” Yoona squeaked right next to my ear. The rush in my ears sent me tripping over nothing. I brought Yoona down with me as I fell. She cussed and got up before me. I looked behind me and saw three jocks hurrying in our direction with Jaejoong on their tail. “Yoona!” I called for her to help me, but she didn’t approach me; she was so close to the exit, and was terrified to come back for me.

 

I was certain she’d abandon me. I would do the same if our positions were switched—who would want to get a beating from the three angry jocks chasing behind us.

 

I tried to help myself by myself, but I was too slow, and in no time the rushed footsteps were no longer running because they have already reached me, and then I was pounded to the ground with horrible slam. I was captured, and it was too late for me to escape. I tried to look at Yoona’s direction and maybe tell her to go. But once I looked up, I saw her spot empty and the door to the kitchen was closed. The bitterness inside me grew bigger, and though I knew, she would’ve fled whether with or without me, it still hurt to know I was abandoned.

 

Sadly, being abandoned was now my farthest worry. I learnt that my fate was literally in their hands once they’ve rolled me onto my back for Jaejoong to punch at my face freely. I endured the first and second punches, but the third seemed to have knocked out some of the consciousness I had in me. I was no longer fighting them. I didn’t even react in fear when I saw the basketball team captain yank a nearby chair and raise it so high in the air.

 

I knew I was ed, and for the rest of my life, I will never forget the hatred I saw in their eyes.

 

 

Yoona       

 

Luhan was shrieking in pain. Everyone else was shouting in joy. The voices penetrated the darkness in the kitchen where I hid. It was painful to hear, but even more, painful to watch—I couldn’t watch him get beaten over and over again without being able to save him. I don’t know what was going to happen to me once they were done with him, but I wasn’t planning to stay in this school any longer. That is why I decided to help him this once, and apologize to him.

 

I wanted to appear good to him even once; maybe he would forgive me for the hellish, nightmarish curse I’ve brought upon him.

 

“You guys, stop it!” I heard someone scream inside the cafeteria. “Teachers are coming!” another voice said, more masculine.

 

I stuck my ear closer to the door side, trying to listen to the things going on, on the outside.

 

“Oh god! There’s so much blood. Someone call an ambulance. Everyone else, better not move from their spots, you all are going to pay for this. You, call the principal down here; tell him to hurry, someone’s dying.” I could hear a roar filled with authorization. Our art teacher was here to rescue him again. They have formed a strong relationship, and to that, I was thankful.

 

Finally, I can leave without bearing the burden on my shoulders. Tomorrow, I will change schools. I’m glad someone who is trustworthy is going to take care of Luhan from now on. Finally, I can put my head at rest now. Finally, I can breathe again.

 

I’m sorry Xi Luhan. I will always be sorry for all the pain I’ve caused you.     

 


Comments? Upvotes? Critiques?

Sorry for the late update.. I just finished exams, and am trying to update all dozen of fictions I’m running.