III

Humiliation

 

[A/N]: Just need to say, Luhan does not have a split personality. You can't judge a man by what he thinks, but only by his actions. Up until now he hadn't done anything bad or good. The more you read about him, the more you'll understand. And don't forget... everyone gets evil thoughts every now and then. Luhan is no exception. 

There will be no more author notes (unless truly necessary) so don't forget to leave feedback on each chapter. Don't make me hunt you down your profiles, 'cause I will do it, lol.  

Also, this is Hangeng for those who don't know him.

Enjoy your read.


 

 

 

Luhan

 

“Bom-ssi, this is Hangeng. I need an emergency number for student Luhan’s father, please. Yes, senior.” There was a short pause where he listened, and then, “Thank you. No I’ll call him. I have a free period. Thanks.” I saw him pull the phone away, hit the end button, and then dialed another number. 

 

“Hello, this is Mr. Han Kyung from Param Highschool. Is this Luhan’s father, Mr. Xi?” he said in an authoritative manner. “Yes, I’m afraid it’s about your son. Luhan’s been injured. He has a cut on his forehead and the right side of his lip, and probably more bruises all over his body. It might be more serious; he fell down the stairs and has been out for about ten minutes. The school needs your permission to take actions.” I heard the muffled shouts on the other side of the phone. My father probably didn’t believe it was an accident. He knew that I wasn’t accident-prone, and he knew I was bullied at school. This wasn’t going to pass by easily. I wanted to cry.

 

“I understand sir. You can bring all the authorities you want to school sir, but first let’s call an ambulance. Right now, Luhan’s health is most important.” Mr. Hangeng hung his head. My father was still scolding him like it was his fault I got pushed down a fifteen-step stairs. I groaned in discomfort, and Mr. Hangeng’s eyes were on me the next second. “Oh, he seems to be waking up sir. Right, I’ll meet you down stairs in ten minutes. Thank you, my pleasure to help. Okay.”

 

He dropped the phone on his desk and rushed over to the couch. “Are you okay little one?” he asked with real concern this time. It felt as if he wasn’t just worried because I got hurt on school property, and right in front of him, no; it felt as if he was really concerned about me. Maybe he wasn’t involved in Jaejoong’s scheme after all, and I was just being paranoid. I tried to smile at him but didn’t know if it had come out as a smile or a grimace. I couldn’t feel the muscles in my own face; my lip stung, my cheeks were slightly swollen, and my forehead felt like it has got an ax stuck into it.

 

I tried to sit up, but my head was still spinning so I fell back and couldn’t remain upright. “It’s fine, you’ll be fine. We’ll get you to a hospital soon.”

 

“No, I have to get to class,” I pulled myself up and forced my back to unravel its bend.

 

Mr. Hangeng’s eyes were almost overflowing with concern and compassion as he watched me. It made me wonder of his own past, and what had he endured growing up gay. I didn’t think I had ever really considered Mr. Hangeng as a person until this moment because he was merely just my teacher. I never considered his personal life. Kids usually didn’t think of their teachers lives outside school. The compassion he was showing me today told me that my gay art teacher might’ve been bullied a couple of times himself.

 

As I forced myself to endure pain, little by little I was able to sit up, and then stand on both feet. That ankle wasn’t really broken, perhaps just strained or fractured, but I would manage walking anyway. I closed my eyes in relief as I took the first step; glad I wouldn’t have to come to school in a wheelchair—that exactly would be the frosting on the cake, I did not need.

 

Everything became clearer as I calmed down. I won’t let them win, and I refuse to let them think they’d won. I have to get to class, no matter how battered and bloody. I have to show them that I wasn’t just going to roll over for them. I won’t let this happen. If I let them realize how much they terrorize me, it would never stop, and it would be a ing long year, just like the past two. This year though was my last to prove I was there; alive and fighting. Even if it ended up with me getting killed, I was going to prove myself worthy of the figure God had put me in. I was not born an animal, but a human, and I was so going to act like one this year. 

 

“You’re not going anywhere. Look at you. No sane teacher would let you in looking like that,” he said. “You could have serious injuries, Luhan, please. I dont think I can wait till your dad arrives; I’ll take you there myself. We’ll call your dad and tell him to meet us there.

 

I looked at his concern-filled eyes and could not disagree. I was hurt, my body felt too sore. Still, I knew I couldn’t let them get the better of me because that would hurt worse. At any rate now, I didn’t have a choice right then, so I let him help me; he’d wanted to carry me but I refused solemnly. I hooked one arm over his shoulder and he sank his around my waist, and we started walking slowly.

 

 

The doctor was examining my body as I sat wearing the hospital’s gown. His firm fingers were probing my backbone, saying that it was a miracle I hadn’t hurt it. My father was having a smoke outside because he got so stressed and couldn’t stand how I looked, so he left me with the art teacher and the doctor.

 

“I was afraid of this when I started hearing the rumors earlier this week.” Mr. Hangeng stood with his hands folded across his chest, watching as the doctor stitched the cut on my forehead. I couldn’t do anything but nod. “I’m sorry this is happening to you, but most of all sorry you lost your best friend. He was a great kid, and you must miss him very much.”

 

That did it.

 

It wasn’t the pain shooting all over my body, or in my throbbing head, but in my heart. The tears which I’ve been trapping so very well started flowing uselessly down my face as I nodded. Neither the doctor nor Mr. Hangeng tried to embrace me, and I was thankful to that. The last thing I needed was to be comforted by a couple of guys, my dad’s age. I never want to be in that position—it would only make me feel worse about my weak self.

 

They didn’t say anything, but let me cry, undisturbed. The doctor was taking care of my stitches while I took care of my wounded heart; carefully washing it with my overflowing tears.

 

 

“What’s his name?” dad shouted as he drove us back to school. Mr. Hangeng was in his car so at least my dignity was spared from strangers ogles for short while. “Kim Jaejoong,” I said firmly in a resigned tone, so dad wouldn’t have to lecture me of being feeble. I always tried to act strong in front of him, even though he knew the damn truth. Curse my mother for making me take ballet classes when I was younger. I wish I hadn’t. If only did they teach me how to wrestle instead...

 

“I’m not going to let this continue. It’s just a goddamn rumor that is ruining your life like that son. We have to stop it.” My heart warmed a little to hear dad speaking like that with an intention to defend and not assault me. He just earned himself a point in my black book. I mentally added it on the sheer blank page. I and dad haven’t been exactly close, but the way he was speaking his mind out like that, told me that he would stand by me.

 

“I can deal with Jaejoong on my own dad. It’s just that… he caught me by surprise is all.” It was not a lie; I hadn’t known Jaejoong was so low; didn’t know he’d push me down the stairs when I’m not looking. He was such a horrible person. I hated him.

 

“I appreciate your courage son, but just look at your face. I need the stupid ing administration to see your face and take action. School violence is not to be tolerated, that is number one rule in your school, and yet…”

 

 

When we got back to school the, classes were back in session. I couldn’t believe the whole thing had just taken only an hour. We followed the art teacher to the principal’s office, slower than normal because of my injuries, in total quietness.

 

I wasn’t looking forward to meeting Jaejoong again at the principal’s but my father’s presence made me just a little bit comfortable. We reached the office just in time as the secretary scrambled out of Mr. Yang’s office. She didn’t seem too surprised to see us. Actually she didn’t care for our presence at all, me and my father. Her eyes were on the art teacher and she gave one nasty look before he spoke to her, “Sunkyu, where is Kim Jaejoong? I’ve sent him down here before I left with Luhan.”

 

“Mr. Yang sent him back to class,” she replied bitterly. “He’s expecting Luhan and his father, but I feel the need to warn you, teacher; you might get into trouble because of what you did. You shouldn’t bring a student out of the school at any case.” Turning away from us, she walked over to her desk and picked up the phone to inform the principal of our presence. Moments later she ushered us through.

 

It was the first time I’d ever entered a principal’s office in all of my educational life, for I have never caused any trouble, nor reported ones that were caused against me. As we entered, I felt like I’m some culprit; my heart was pounding in my ears so loud. Under the principal’s stern look, me and my father took seats on the chairs across his desk while Mr. Hangeng stood by my side. The principal didn’t greet us and I can see it had irked my father to some extent, but he tried to keep his cool.

 

The fact that he continued to read the same short paper, with his eyes unmoving from the pattern of lines, gave him away, and he had to lend us some of his attention finally.

 

“Teacher Hankyung,” he looked up from his desk, “You are suspended for two weeks for removing a student from school ground without our permission.”

 

Horrified with the statement, and very coarse voice, I turned my head and looked at Mr. Hangeng—he didn’t say anything just nodded and looked down. And in a split of a second, my mind flash-forwarded to the future, and I could see myself standing in his position, accepting punishment like I had no choice. My heart ached for my sore future.

 

“Mr. Yang, I gave him permission. This is my son’s health we’re talking about here. In fact if he had refused to bring my kid to the hospital, I’m afraid I might’ve filed a lawsuit against your school, for bullying a student and neglecting his injuries afterward.”

 

“That is all well and good sir,” Mr. Yang propped on his elbow after acknowledging father’s authority, his attitude, however, was not too affected. “But then the Kim’s would have to file a lawsuit against your son, as well as the school. Do you know why?”

 

My father’s nose flared and he banged a fist onto the table, “Because of the stupid rumor of my son being a murderer. Believe it or not: he    is   not! Luhan did not kill that Minseok kid. He did not—”

 

“This is not what I’m trying to say here, Mr. Xi,” Mr. Yang said, suddenly capturing my attention as well as my father’s and the art teacher.

 

“Then what?” My dad asked, annoyed.

 

“Kim Jaejoong was attacking your son on self-defense and therefore will not be punished. He has confided in me that your son, Luhan, tried to kiss him. Five students confirmed his words too. I do not see him at fault at all—he was trying to stop your son’s ual advance, and your son lost his balance with the push, falling on his own.”

 

“What! No, that is not what happened.” I dared to yell. Mr. Yang turned his head and looked at me, surprised that I could actually talk. His gaze sent shivers down my spine and I looked down in dread. “Do you have a different version of the event?” he asked. I nodded slowly.

 

I was preparing the words I wanted to say in my brain before I said anything. Just as I opened my mouth to defend myself and say them, Mr. Yang beat me to it. “Do you have anyone to corroborate your version of events?”  I shook my head, remembering all of the students on the stairs and how none of them had defended me or even tried to help. None of them had cared as he shoved me. They were cowards. Useless pieces of whom would never be there for me. Why would they anyway? We were not friends…

 

“Very well. Then you are suspended for the next two days. We will see you back on Monday, where you will apologize to Mr. Kim and his son for your fouled actions.”