Chapter Five

Tangled

The next day, she went to Younha's label, We Alive, to meet up with the producer for Younha's new music video, together with Kim Woo Bin.  She had noticed she was underdressed when she went inside.

"Hi. I'm looking for Mr. Go?"

After eyeing her from head to toe with disdain, the receptionist told her to wait as she talked to someone over the telephone.

"Seuk Hye-ssi" It was Kim Woo Bin. "You're early."

She smiled sheepishly at him. "I didn't want to leave anymore bad impressions. Please call me Joo."

"Mr. Kim!" The receptionist greeted, too happily if I may add, "They are waiting for you in Studio 3.”

"Let's go?" He grabbed Joo's arm and guided her towards the venue.

"I'm sorry Mr. Kim, but she can't go inside without..." The receptionist started, but Woo Bin cut her off.

"Don't worry, she's with me."

-x-

They headed directly towards the studio. The director wanted them to finish filming all the scenes today. Pretty much, they were fully booked.

The crew immediately attended to her as soon as she entered the room. They had a deadline to meet, and they didn’t want any unnecessary delays.

She was ready in 45 minutes.

“Five minutes!”

They will be starting in five minutes. Joo was nervous. It was her first ever breakthrough and she didn’t want anything to jinx it.

“I can call you Joo right?” The director asked and she nodded. She was used to everyone calling her Joo that it was already uncomfortable to hear someone call her by her real name. “Can you sit on the swing beside Woo Bin, Joo?” She nodded again and did as she was told. “Now I want you both to talk and look like you’re enjoying each other’s company. We will be playing the music in 5, 4, 3, 2…. ACTION!”

Several hours later, they wrapped up. After thanking the staff and everyone who was involved in the MV, Joo silently congratulated herself for a job well done. The director had some minor issues with her acting, but she had perfected them the second time and it wasn’t that bad.

“You were awesome.” Woo Bin  gave her a two thumbs up sign. They were now walking towards the building’s parking lot.

“I still need a lot of training though…”

“For a first timer, you sure did great. I remember my first CF. I was really, really, really nervous that I kept on forgetting my lines and the director almost kicked me out of the studio because he got annoyed.” He admitted.

“It’s probably a good thing I didn’t have any lines then?”

Both of them laughed. “Probably. But anyway, you were amazing.”

“Thanks.” She blushed. Woo Bin has been really nice to her and she was really grateful for his support. “I’m just so happy that I made it this far. Acting makes me happy. I guess I got it from my mum.”

It was true. It was probably a trait her late mother passed on to her. Her dad said she was a very good theatre actress He never skipped a show, not even once. Maybe that was also the reason why she wanted to become an actress in the first place. It was for her mother.

She stopped walking as soon as she reached the door and turned to face him. “I’ll go ahead. See you and thank you for everything. Really.”

“I can give you a ride home.”

“No, it’s alright. I need to stop by my friend’s place anyway. Thank you though.”

He looked at her reluctantly, “Are you sure?”

“Yep.” She gave him a salute. “I’ll see you tomorrow!”

-x-

 "We have a problem." The producer, Mr. Go, told Woo Bin the next day.

"What are you talking about?"

"About the music video... The CEO is pissed that we didn't wait for his daughter to recover and replaced her with someone else."

"So?"

"He wants to sue."

"What? Is that even possible?"

"Well he's the CEO. He can do anything."

"So What do we do now?" Kim Woo Bin asked.

"I really have no idea."

 -x-

It was finally the day that Joo had been waiting for. Today, the teaser for the music video would be released. She was excited and her insides tied into a knot. The minutes seemed like hours. The MV will be aired at 8 p.m. 

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock.

She could hear her heart pounding now. She was ecstatic. Luckily, since it was a Saturday, she didn't have work. 

Thirty more minutes to go.

Her phone suddenly rang. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Joo? It's Woo Bin. I've been trying to reach you. I looked around for you at the filming set but you weren't there, and I just got hold of your number now through Cheri so..."

"What's up?"

"Where are you now?"

"I'm at home. Why?"

"Text me your address. I'll be there in ten minutes. I have to tell you something important."

-x-

She let Woo Bin inside as soon as he arrived. She knew something was up from his facial expression. "What brings you here?"

He sighed. "Don't get shocked." He looked at her before he continued, "The CEO got angry that we didn't wait for his daughter to recover for her injuries, and he wanted to sue."

She already knew what he was about to say next, but everything seemed to fade away.

"They will compensate you for everything. I'm really sorry..."

8 p.m.

The MV teaser played on the television screen in front of her. It was perfect.

But the girl wasn't her.

It was heartbreaking.

She didn't even notice when Kim Woo Bin hugged her.