June 24, 2014 - 11:30AM

Shinhwa's Secret

                Over the next couple of years, Mi Young remained dutifully by Shinhwa’s side, working as a background dancer for their performances or occasionally stepping in for violin, cello, or piano parts that were needed. When she wasn’t rehearsing on stage with the members, she was working with managers and foreign relations, taking care of planning for their Asia tours, helping with Shinhwa broadcast, or doing other business negotiations.

                The members—as well as the rest of the company—grew fond of the young woman who wasn’t very smart outside of business and musical discussions, but tried her best in everything that she did. As most of the staff was older than her, she was Shinhwa’s little sister; In a way, the members recognized her fierce determination and eagerness from their younger years—and her energy gave them the drive to keep doing their best. Naturally, there were mistakes that came back to haunt them and obstacles to overcome, but over the next year and a half, Shinhwa continued to preserve and support each other, with Mi Young and the other staff and managers backing them up every step of the way.

                After the company realized her skill in handling emergency and medical situations—particularly during Hyesung’s knee injury, Jun Jin’s back injury, and Minwoo’s trip to the emergency room before his end of 2013 concert, as well as her caring for staff that fell ill—she was promoted to Security Supervisor under Shinhwa Company’s name.

 

                In the middle of one incredibly warm June—after about half a year working at her upper-level position—she received a phone call at the office she shared with the other Shinhwa managers.

                “This is Shinhwa Company, Ji Mi Young. How may I help you?” As a larger part of the business negotiations process, she was required to introduce herself in her greeting. It had been a long time since her receptionist life, just working as an unknown voice who handled transfers, hadn’t it?

                “Mi Young-ssi, hello.”

                “Jun Ho-nim, nice to hear from you again,” Mi Young had long since grown used to his sporadic, seemingly random check-ups on her. This call was no exception. “How are you?”

                “I’m doing well,” Jun Ho replied on his end. “How is your job as Security Supervisor?”

                “It’s a handful, but I love my job.” She answered, completely honest.

                “That’s wonderful. Because ESP has another request for you.”

                Mi Young’s pause was almost unnoticeable. “What is it?”

                “We would like you to come in to the office tomorrow morning.” Jun Ho said.

                “Tomorrow?” She pulled up Shinhwa’s schedule for the next day. “Well, Shinhwa has a meeting at ten, so I’ll have to come in once they’re settled…”

                “Don’t worry about it. ESP has already informed them of your absence and has taken care of things.” Jun Ho told her firmly. “We’ll need you here at 10:30am, so everything has been arranged.”

                “O-oh,” Mi Young was a little taken aback. “All right, I’ll be there.”

                “See you then.”

 

                Mi Young walked into ESP’s building, heading up to the office where she had been employed almost three years ago. Curiously enough, the same receptionist that had shown her to her interview was still there.

                “Hello, Mi Young-ssi.” The woman was much friendlier this time.

              “Please come this way,” The two women headed down the same hallway. Mi Young let herself look around this time, much more at ease. Before the office had felt cold, but now it didn’t seem so bad.

                The receptionist knocked once and gestured towards the closed door, signaling that Mi Young should step inside.

                 “Ah, there she is.” Jun Ho’s voice was the first to greet her.

                 “Hello…” Mi Young stopped short in the doorway, confused. It wasn’t just Jun Ho seated at the conference table. He was surrounded by six others.

                 “Hello,” The members of Shinhwa were all greeting her, motioning her for to take a seat.

                “Oppas… what are you all doing here…?” Mi Young was suddenly worried. Why had her employer and the company she worked for come together to meet with her? Had she done something wrong? Was she getting fired? What other explanation could there be?

                “It’s okay, Mi Young-ah.” Andy gave her a friendly smile. “It’s nothing bad.”

                She swallowed. Had her expression been that easy to read? She took the empty seat between Jun Jin and Dongwan. Jun Jin gently touched her arm, a reassuring gesture, and Dongwan had a protective, almost fatherly expression in his gaze.

                “Mi Young-ah, I’m sure you’re confused as to why I’ve called you here today.” Jun Ho began, his tone gentle.

                “Yeah, a little.” Blunt honesty. It was something she excelled at.

                “Well, to tell you the truth, Shinhwa actually contacted me to schedule this meeting.”

                Mi Young gave each of them a look. They avoided her gaze, something that made her feel worse than she already did.

                “You’ve been employed with this company for three years, and after checking several times with the group, they finally decided that it was time.”

                “Time? For what?” Mi Young asked.

                Jun Ho exchanged glances with Eric, who gave him a definitive nod. “My company, ESP, is contracted by many individuals and groups. Mi Young-ah, do you know what ‘ESP’ stands for?”

                Mi Young frowned, wondering if she was being tested. “I don’t think I ever found out, unfortunately…”

                “That’s because you aren’t told unless you are given clearance.” Jun Ho said lightly.

                ‘Clearance?’ The term rang a bell in Mi Young’s mind. Hadn’t Jun Ho dodged a question a few years back by using a similar excuse?

                Oh, that’s right.

                ‘That’s classified information that will be disclosed to you at a later point.

                So… Was this finally the time where she would get that information?

                “With Shinhwa’s approval, you have been granted access to knowledge you were barred from before.” Jun Ho continued.

                Apparently so.

                “What kind of information are we talking about?” Mi Young asked hesitantly.

                “Well, firstly, my company’s name.” Jun Ho replied, smiling. “ESP stands for ‘Extrasensory Sanctuary Program’. It is a company that caters to the needs of certain individuals with… special talents.”

                “Extrasensory… what?” Mi Young didn’t understand. “Is this a hidden camera?”

                Shinhwa burst into laughter, knowing that the young woman was well-aware of their prankster history.

                “No, seriously, it’s not.” Minwoo was the first to be able to talk again. “Really.”

                “Yes, indeed.” Jun Ho looked sheepish. “My company works with Shinhwa because each member has an ability that requires concealing from the public eye.”

                Mi Young was still skeptical. “Abilities? Like super powers or something?”

                “Told you she wouldn’t believe it.” Andy said, giving Dongwan a look.

                “I know, I know. You probably cheated, though.” He shot back.

                Andy grinned. “Maybe a little.”

                Mi Young stared at them. “What are you talking about?”

                “Ah, we should stop… We’re just confusing her more.” Andy sighed.

                Jun Ho raised his hand, quieting down the group. “Mi Young-ah, you were hired by me and my company because we believed you had the potential to one day know of our purpose and protect the secrets of the group that was assigned to you.”

                Mi Young sobered up at the seriousness in Jun Ho’s normally cheerful voice. “So, this is real?” She turned to Shinhwa. “You all have some sort of… otherworldly ability?”

                They nodded, just as solemn as Jun Ho.

                She couldn’t help but chuckle uneasily. “How am I supposed to believe something like that?”

                Hyesung nodded. “It’s not something anyone in their right mind should believe.”

                “But doesn’t that mean Jun Ho and his company are doing a good job?” Eric replied back.

                Hyesung couldn’t argue with that.

                “It is a lot to process,” Jun Ho commented.

                Mi Young wasn’t able to say anything in reply.

                Jun Ho sighed, glancing at the six men. “Normally those that give consent have to show their abilities to our employee. As proof, basically.”

                “I figured as much,” Eric sighed, cracking his knuckles. “Well, let’s get this done.”

                Without warning, all the Shinhwa members except Andy recoiled away from Eric. Mi Young jumped at the sudden flurry of movement. “What the hell?”

                Eric grinned. “Not like that, pabos.”

                Andy covered his mouth, trying not to laugh. “He’s using a light bulb, hyungs.”

                Jun Ho pulled a small box out from under the desk, handing it to Eric as the other members of Shinhwa sat down.

                “A light bulb…? What’s that for?” Mi Young leaned over the table to see it better. Inside was a the object in question.

                “Don’t be frightened, okay?” Eric gave her an uncomfortable grimace. “For as long as I can remember, I’ve had the power to use electricity.”

                As he talked, the light bulb in his hands flashed to life. Mi Young leapt to her feet, startled, and the bulb glowed brighter as Eric flinched as well.

                Dongwan was at her side immediately, blocking her way to the door in case she decided to bail and flee from the office in shock.

                “What… How is that even possible?!” She exclaimed.

                “It’s all right. Eric’s ability is the easiest to prove out of all of the others… So it’s only natural for him to show you first.” Jun Ho said conversationally, obviously not ruffled in the slightest.

                Eric set down the light bulb and it flickered off immediately. “I can channel electrical currents in my hands to power or shock things… It seems unbelievable, I know…”

                “Eric-oppa…” Mi Young tried to understand. She really did. She picked up the light bulb in her hands, turning it over. There were no wires connected to it, no switch or batteries that made it light up on its own—it was just an ordinary light bulb.

                That Eric Mun had been able to power just by touch.

                “It’s not a hidden camera or a prank, Mi Young-ah.” Andy said softly. “It’s the truth.”

                She looked at him. “How…?”

                “I guess I’m next,” Andy shrugged. “My ability is… kind-of like mind-reading, but it’s not that powerful. It’s more of reading thinking processes and auras instead of individual thoughts.”

                Mi Young stared at him. Suddenly things were starting to make sense. Too much sense. Andy always had a knack for calling bluffs or singling out lies. And his ability to win in games of rock-paper-scissors and other games of luck was almost unnatural.

                ‘Could it really be…?’

                Andy grinned. “Maybe I should’ve gone first, since you’re finally starting to believe us.”

                Mi Young made a face. Knowing someone was able to hear your thoughts—even if he said it wasn’t that strong—was an indescribably weird feeling. She still in a state of disbelief, but if everything that they were saying was true... She really had no choice but to continue on with it. “So… What about everyone else?” She took a seat, trying to ignore the trembling in her hands.

                Everyone seemed to settle down as she gradually got ahold of herself. Dongwan gestured at Minwoo.

                Mi Young looked at the shortest member as if he were about to sprout wings and fly. With how everything was going at the moment, maybe he would. Luckily for her, that wasn’t the case.

                “Like Eric-ah, I use my hands for my ability.” Minwoo held out his hands. Unlike when Eric made the motion, none of the others seemed alarmed. “I don’t channel electricity, though. I use energy.”

                Mi Young looked at his outstretched hands. Nothing special seemed to be happening, but as she leaned a little closer, she realized there warmth radiating off of them. She reached out and gave him a tentative glance. He nodded.

                “It’s warm,” She said, her eyes widening in amazement. His hands were positively glowing with a comfortable heat, and as she kept a hold on them, she felt her energy and fatigue drain away, like a shot of coffee.

                “I can transfer energy to people as I want, so it tends to help a lot… especially during rehearsals and stuff.” Minwoo gave her an eye smile.

                She blinked. Of course. Minwoo was king of charisma, Shinhwa’s battery and source of encouragement and vitality. Everyone always thought it was just his cheerful demeanor and drive that kept the energy up in the room, but now she knew it was for a completely different reason.

                “Jin-ah, your turn.” Hyesung said softly.

                Jun Jin nodded. “My power is a little harder to explain,” He looked almost apologetic. “Technically that’s a good thing, because using my ability means that something bad has happened.”

                Mi Young tipped her head to the side, waiting for him to continue.

                “Using my energy, I can heal myself or other people.” Jun Jin scratched the back of his head. “It’s not a strong power like the hyungs and takes a lot of energy, but it’s helpful.”

                “That’s how you recovered from your back surgery so quickly!” Mi Young was taken aback. “The doctor said it would take a month and yet you were back and working in two weeks… The staff just thought you were pushing yourself too hard… But you were already healed?!”

                Jun Jin grinned. “Yeah, I was tired after using my energy all the time to heal, but it was better than sitting in a hospital not doing anything.” He gave Minwoo a friendly cuff. “Minwoo-hyung helped restore my energy anytime I got too tired, so that helped, too.”

                Minwoo gave the younger member a cute eye smile, leaning his head against the taller man’s shoulder.

                Hyesung looked at the rest of the group for a few moments before speaking. “My power revolves around my ability to perceive things before they happen… although it’s somewhat limited.”

                “Like, seeing the future?” Mi Young felt as though out of all the abilities, that was the one she could understand the most. Hyesung was always fairly cautious—if he said something was dangerous or to be careful, the members would take what he said to heart.

                “I only see things that are threatening to me or people I am close to… And even then my powers vary.” Hyesung was looking at his hands. “Sometimes they can be as detailed as dreams or actual visions, while other times I’ll just get a bad feeling in my chest moments before the event occurs.”

                Mi Young suddenly remembered Hyesung in 2012, nervous about their comeback concert. He had severely injured his knee on the second night and was forced to spend most of their promotion period singing off stage while she danced with Yong Gyu, one of the back-up dancers. But before the performance, he had been worried about platform jump for the encore—the leap that would tear through his knee ligaments and send him to the emergency room moments later… Had that been part of his powers?

                Beside her, Andy nodded. “You’re pretty observant, Mi Young-ah. You’ve noticed a lot more than you think.”

                Mi Young was still trying to comprehend everything, but she forced herself to continue. “What about Dongwan-oppa?”

                The last member gave her a wan smile. “My power is the ability to shut down their abilities.” He said simply. “I have to be in contact with them, but if something happens that makes things get out of control, like Eric’s electricity… I can stop it.”

                Again, Mi Young felt as if she was able to justify his power. Dongwan was always a mediator in the group. Unless he was involved in the argument or conflict, it seemed like he was always lingering around to play moderator and now there was a legitimate explanation for it.

                Mi Young took a deep breath. No matter how she looked at it, people with extrasensory powers should have been impossible. But knowing Shinhwa and how everything seemed to add up perfectly… It had to be true, didn’t it? “I… I don’t really know what to say…” She sighed.

                Jun Ho folded his arms. He had been silent as Shinhwa revealed their powers, but now was his time to talk again. “It is a lot of information to process, I understand. Honestly, you’re taking it pretty well, considering some of my other employee’s responses.”

                “Am I?” Mi Young gave a shaky laugh, not entirely believing him.

                “Now that you know of Shinhwa’s abilities, what will you do?” He locked his gaze with hers, dead serious.

                A chill ran through the room, but Mi Young didn’t look away. “I’m not going to tell anyone, if that’s what you mean. No one would believe me even if I did anyways…” She shook her head slowly. “You’ve managed to hide your powers from everyone for so long, so nothing will really change, right? You’ll continue to hide your abilities and I’ll just have to pretend as if they don’t exist, is that it?”

                The six members all looked relieved, the tension dissipating from the air like fog.

                “Well, yes you are to take this information in the strictest confidence.” Jun Ho nodded. “No one is supposed to learn of their abilities. However, as an employee of ESP you also now have the responsibility of protecting Shinhwa and their secret from any who might seek them out.”

                Mi Young blinked. “There are people who do that?” She couldn’t believe it. “Others who look for people with special powers?”

                The six men around her nodded grimly.

                “Andy-ah and Hyesungie-ah’s powers are the most sought after and they’re the easiest types of abilities to find.” Minwoo explained, gently nudging the youngest member with his arm. “Andy-ah especially.”

                Mi Young frowned. The power to read minds or auras… It would come in handy, wouldn’t it? “That makes sense, I guess…” She cleared , a sarcastic grin on her face. “So, Shinhwa has superpowers. No big deal, right?”

                Jun Ho lightened up, the friendly glint returning to his eyes as the other laughed. “I’m glad to hear you say that. For the most part, nothing should be different about your job.” He rolled the light bulb back into its box, cleaning up. “It’s only in certain emergency situations that you’ll have more to deal with. Hopefully that shouldn’t happen, but you are Shinhwa’s defense for such cases. Understood?”

               Mi Young nodded and the six members all smiled at her.

                "We're counting on you, Mi Young-ah."

 

[Hello! It’s FINALLY happened: after all your patience and waiting you all get to see the powers I’ve given our dear Shinhwa members!!

When I first came up with this idea, I was still a new SHCJ watching a ton of Shinhwa videos and a few stuck out: When Andy went up against a line of people in rock-paper-scissors and—to everyone’s amazement—won against ALL of them; Shinhwa Broadcast episode 6 when Hyesung mentioned he had a bad feeling before the concert that he would later be injured at; and again in Shinhwa Broadcast when Andy confidently guesses the two team leaders for the episode (Eric and Hyesung), much to the dismay of the PD and the other staff filming him.

I wanted their powers to be realistic and true to their personalities. It’s kinda funny, since I actually came up with their powers only two or three weeks after joining the SHCJ; I was still confusing names and faces at that point. But the more I watched and learned about Shinhwa, the more I realized the abilities I had given them made sense, and so I decided to start writing instead of letting the idea stew in my head.

Anyways, enough about me. It’s already been the longest chapter yet and I don’t want to keep you too much. I want to thank you for continuing to read. Here’s to a great start to 2014!~ Part two of this chapter will be up shortly!!]