September 18, 2005

Shinhwa's Secret

                “Yah, Youngmi-ah, answer your phone.”

                Youngmi looked up at her brother. “Yes, yes, I know.” She silenced the ringtone—she didn’t know why he was so annoyed by it; it was one of his songs—and held the phone up to her ear. “Hello?”

                “Uh, Youngmi-ah…”

                “Oh,” She immediately recognized the hesitant voice on the other end. “Hello, Mi Young-ah! It’s been a while.”

                Minwoo perked up, interested. “Mi Young-ah? Why’s she calling?”

                “Yes, it has,” Mi Young replied. “I hope this isn’t a bad time…”

                “No, no,” Youngmi waved a hand, ignoring the fact that Minwoo was hovering over her shoulder, attempting to listen into the conversation. “I’m visiting my brother, but we’re not really doing much. What’s up?”

                “Well,” Mi Young sounded very tentative. “I have a favor…”

                “Sure, what can I do?”

                There was a long pause. Youngmi was beginning to recognize it as one of Mi Young’s speech habits and patiently waited for the reply. “I… Andy-ah, uh…”

                Youngmi sat up a little straighter, highly interested in what her friend might have to say about the rapper. Her brother—equally intrigued—also leaned in closer, his ear almost pressed against the back of her cell phone. “Oh, did something happen?”

                “He… he asked me to go on a date--”

                Youngmi squealed, thrilled by the news. “Really?! That’s wonderful!”

                Minwoo’s eyes were wide. “Our Andy-ah asked a girl out…?” He immediately began looking around, probably searching for his own cell phone to contact the other members.

                “Ahahaha…” Mi Young sounded embarrassed and pleased. “But Youngmi-ah, I was wondering if you…”

                “I know, you want me to come with you, yes?”

                There was another pause, much shorter than the last. “If it’s not too much trouble…”

                Youngmi shook her head, a smile on her face. “Of course not! I’m so happy you chose me to go along.”

                “Thank you so much, Youngmi-ah. Andy-ah will be picking me up a little after noon on Friday.”

                “All right, I’ll see you then!”

 

                Mi Young glanced up at the sound of her doorbell, frowning. She shut off her kitchen tap, setting down the dish she was washing and drying her hands as she checked the clock.

                ‘Youngmi-ah’s really early…

                She padded down the hall, slipping a little on the tile as the bottom of her sweatpants caught on the heel of her foot. She pushed her hair out of her face—still wet from the shower she had taken—and opened the door.

                “Hello… Ah!” She froze as she came face-to-face with Andy.

                “Hi, Mi Young-ah,” He was grinning sheepishly.

                “A-Andy-ah,” She quickly hid back behind the door, leaving it only cracked enough for her to peek through. “What are you doing here so early?!”

                “Well, I was running an errand and it ended much earlier than I thought… And going back home is too far.”

                “I…” She glanced around, not sure what she was looking for but also not wanting to make eye contact with him. “Aish, do I have to let you inside…?”

                “I don’t mind if it’s messy,” Andy said reassuringly. “I know I was unexpected…”

                “It’s not the mess I’m worried about,” Mi Young pursed her lips. However, after a moment she opened the door again and stepped aside to let him pass.

                She gave him a subtle once-over as he slipped off his shoes in the hallway. He was wearing khakis with a white dress shirt that was mostly hidden under a red sweater vest, already dressed for the date they would be going on in a couple hours’ time. Mi Young grumbled to herself, fussing with her wrinkled t-shirt and baggy sweatpants, knowing how homely she looked compared to him.

                Andy didn’t seem to notice her anxiety, instead looking around the apartment curiously. He smiled at her, but his expression changed when he met her gaze.

                “I… I haven’t started getting ready yet--” She mumbled, attempting to defend herself from what she thought would be a comment about her appearance. However, the remark wasn’t what she expected at all.

                “Mi Young-ah, I didn’t know you wore glasses.”

                “I… Oh,” Her hands immediately darted up to her face, readjusting the wire-framed spectacles. “I only wear these when I’m at home… I have contacts.”

                “They look… nice on you,” He grinned.

                “Nice? Aish, quit being cute.” She folded her arms.

                “But if you wear glasses and contacts, your eyesight must not be so great, right?”

                “Of course.”

                “How bad is it?” Without warning, Mi Young’s vision blurred as he deftly snatched the glasses right off her nose.

                “Hey, Andy-ah!!” Her voice rose in protest and she grabbed blindly in his direction as he raced down the hall, staying just out of her reach. “Why?!”

                “Aigoo, my eyes! Everything looks crazy…” He was laughing.

                “Don’t wear them, pabo, give them back!!” Mi Young whined.

                She lunged for him again and Andy sidestepped, expecting her to turn back towards him. However, she didn’t. Instead, she kept going…

                Right into the wall.

                “Oh my god,” He covered his mouth, trying not to laugh as she whimpered, rubbing at her forehead. He guided her safely away from the wall and very deliberately placed her glasses back into her hands. “I didn’t know it was that bad…”

                Mi Young shoved the glasses back onto her face, her nose scrunched up in a tearful pout. “Yeah, yeah, I’m blind. So what?” Her eyesight back to normal, she focused on him, her gaze much sharper through the lenses.

                “Ahaha…” Andy burst out laughing, unable to contain himself anymore. “Yah, Mi Young-ah, you’re so cute!”

                She scoffed at him, not completely ready to forgive him for intruding into her home and stealing her glasses, but unable to stay angry at him when he was smiling so brightly at her. “You… You’re weird.”

                They both looked up at the sound of her doorbell. Mi Young gave Andy a strange look, waving him into the kitchen area before answering the door.

                “Hello…?”

                “Mi Young-ah!”

                “Oh, Youngmi-ah, please come in.” Mi Young smiled, moving aside to let her friend in.

                The two young women headed back down the hall, chattering happily. However, Youngmi stopped short when she spotted Andy.

                He waved, a little uneasy. “Hello, Youngmi-ssi.”

                She turned to Mi Young, a suggestive look in her eyes. “Are you sure you need me to come along? You two seem to be getting along well enough already…”

                “Aish, it’s not like that. Andy-ah came over a lot earlier than he was supposed to.” Mi Young explained, embarrassed.

                “Yah, what the hell?!”

                A familiar voice made Mi Young jump.

                “Minwoo-hyung…?” Andy tipped his head to one side to see behind the two women.

                Sure enough, the shortest member was standing in the hallway, looking offended. “Andy-ah, what are you doing alone in a woman’s apartment like this? Are you trying to create a scandal?!”

                “Yah, what are you doing walking into a woman’s apartment without being let in?!” Mi Young shot back with equal ferocity.

                “Me?” Minwoo held his hands up, backpedaling rapidly. “My sister can’t drive, so I’m like a… what’s the word… chaperone!”

                “Hyung isn’t mature enough to be a chaperone…” Andy said in a low voice.

                “What was that?!”

                Mi Young exchanged looks with Youngmi before raising her voice over the bickering members. “Minwoo-yah, Andy-ah…”

                She placed one hand on each of their shoulders and steered them back towards the door.

                “Get out of my apartment!!”

 

                It would be another hour before the two women would come down and join the men in the car. Mi Young was wearing a red knitted sweater that hung off one of her shoulders and was long enough so that it reached halfway down her thighs like a short dress. Her black leggings and boots covered the rest of her legs and her hair was swept to the side, pinned so it hung over her bare shoulder, making for a very cute, modest look.

                Minwoo turned partially in his seat as he started the car, giving Mi Young and Andy a weird look. “Isn’t it a little early to be wearing couple outfits? This is your first date, right?”

                “Yah,” Mi Young protested, her cheeks coloring. She shifted uncomfortably, well-aware that Andy was wearing almost the exact same shade of red as she was. “I had this already laid out on my bed before Andy-ah came over.”

                “It’s true, she did.” Youngmi verified. “It’s just coincidence that they’re matching.”

                The car ride was relatively quiet and after a while, they arrived at the restaurant. It was a small, cozy joint that wasn’t very well known, making it a perfect place for Andy and Minwoo to eat at without the risk of fans finding them.

                “Ah, I always forget why we don’t come here more often with the other members…” Minwoo sniffed the air of the restaurant, taking in the delicious scent of cooking food. “The barbecue is so good…”

                “It’s too far from the city for everyone to bother with.” Andy shrugged his shoulders, offering Mi Young a seat before turning back to the older member. “I only reserved a table for three, Hyung.”

                “I know,” Minwoo waved a dismissive hand. “I’m hungry, so I’ll get myself a table and go eat over there.”

                “Aish…” Andy folded his arms, obviously annoyed with the nosy dancer.

                “So, what should we start with?” Youngmi handed out the menus, opening one eagerly. The smell of food had whet her appetite and she smiled up at the other two.

                “I’m not sure… Andy-ah, you’ve had the food before, right?” Mi Young looked over at him expectantly.

                “Yeah, but what would you want?”

                “Anything with barbeque!”

                The three ordered the starter dishes and drinks, settling down and chattering happily. The appetizers came quickly, making the conversation much brighter as they debated between what to get for the main course.

                Youngmi blinked as her cell phone vibrated. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes as she realized it was a text message from her brother.

                ‘Really, why send me a message when you’re sitting twenty feet away… Pabo…’ She flipped open her cell and skimmed through the text.

                ‘They’ll be okay on their own. Can you come over and help me eat the food I ordered?’

                Youngmi frowned and looked up. True to Minwoo’s words, Andy and Mi Young hadn’t even noticed that she had gotten distracted by her phone—they were so absorbed in their conversation with each other that they weren’t paying her any mind.

                “I know that some idols use glasses as an aegyo point. I’ve done it before in a photo shoot. I bet you would be able to pull that off, Mi Young-ah.”

                “Yah, maybe, but not with my glasses. They’re ahjussi glasses…”

                She couldn’t help but laugh. Her brother was a dork sometimes, but he did make a good point. It was obvious that they were completely comfortable and at ease with one another, and there was no need for a third party to smooth over any awkward patches of conversation. Andy and Mi Young already seemed like a steady couple—not at all like they were on their first date. Then again, the fact that they were wearing matching outfits probably didn’t help with that, but…

                Andy paused, giving Youngmi a strange look as she continued to giggle. “Youngmi-ssi, what’s so funny?”

                “Ah, nothing… But, I got a text from my brother.” Youngmi got to her feet. “He ordered too much food for himself, so I’m going to go help him out.”

                “What? But…” Mi Young was surprised.

                “Don’t worry, you two are doing just fine. If you need anything, I’ll be sitting right over there.” Youngmi waved her fingers, picking up her coat and purse and scurrying away before they could protest.

                “Aish, hyung…” Andy shook his head, a small grin on his face. “He gets angry at me for being at your apartment on my own, but then he goes and does this… Pabo.”

                Mi Young pursed her lips. “He planned it this way, didn’t he?”

                “Probably,” Andy shrugged.

                “Aish… Sometimes you guys…” Mi Young took a sip of her soda, rolling her eyes.

                Andy leaned closer on the table, still smiling. “Are you getting tired?”

                “Tired?” Mi Young blinked. “It’s not even dark outside yet.”

                “Not like that.”

                “Then what do you mean?”

                “You’ve never taken any sick days and even on the days we have breaks you always call to see if there’s anything you can do.” Andy swirled his glass, contemplating it. “While most companies dream of having a model employee like you, sometimes it worries me… Don’t you have days when you get sick of us?” He laughed, but his question was completely serious.

                Mi Young considered his question. “I guess any normal person would get tired… Even some of the managers talk sometimes about how difficult it is.” She pursed her lips. “But for me… I don’t.”

                Andy blinked down at the table as she continued.

                “It’s probably a little strange for me to say this, but for me I don’t feel like I’m going to a job. Instead, I feel like when I work with you all, I’m coming home.”

                He looked up, thoughtful.

                Mi Young rested her head on her arm, pensive. “I think I might have some sort of unhealthy dependence on you all. I don’t think of Shinhwa as ‘work,’ I think of it as my life.” She laughed sheepishly. “Sorry, I must sound like a really creepy sasaeng fan right now…”

                Andy shook his head. “No, you don’t… Because I feel that way too.” He quieted down. “I think before, when I left them for the first time… I realized that I feel how you do.”

                Mi Young tipped her head to one side, waiting patiently for him to continue.

                “I didn’t come back to them right away… At first it was because I was too scared to ask for help. I didn’t want to be a burden with my personal problems…” He sighed. “But that was only part of it. At that time, I felt guilty for everything that was happening in my life. So, in a way, I made myself stay away… Almost like a punishment.”

                She stared at him with wide, understanding eyes.

                “It’s like how kids get grounded and have things taken away from them. I felt like I didn’t deserve to be happy or share the hyungs’ successes. And it took me a while to figure out that I could barely function without them… It took me so long to realize that the reason why I was struggling so much was because they weren’t there by my side. I’m the same as you, Mi Young-ah. I depend on the hyungs way too much.”

                He grinned in spite of himself, trying to lighten the suddenly heavy mood. “Maybe I’m a crazy sasaeng fan, too.”

                Mi Young smiled too. “But aren’t you all like that? You depend on each other, and that’s what makes you all so successful. You can’t really count me into something like that.”

                “Maybe that’s a little true,” Andy shrugged. “But we wouldn’t have been able to get far without the other staff either… It’s not just the six of us. All the staff makes up parts of Shinhwa, and you’re included in that.”

                “I guess so…”

                “Excuse me, are you ready to order?” A waiter came by, effectively ending their discussion.

                “O-Oh…”

                “Uh, a few more minutes, please.” Andy replied.

                “Of course.”

                Mi Young flipped open the menu, looking a little sheepish. “I don’t really know what to order… Andy-ah, I’ll just share whatever you’re getting.”

                Andy couldn’t stop his lips from curling up into another smile. How could he not be happy? He was with Mi Young. “Okay. Is there anything you can’t eat? Like, allergies or things you don’t like?”

                “Just tofu.”

                He paused, caught off-guard by such a strange request. “Tofu?”

                “Yeah,” Mi Young tipped her head to one side. “I’m allergic to tofu.”

                “I… I’ve never heard of a person being allergic to tofu before.” Andy mumbled.

                “It might be the soy or something… I haven’t really tried to find out.” Mi Young said slowly. “Is that really weird, though?”

                “No, it’s fine,” He brightened again. “I think it’s a good thing.”

                She sat back, giving him a look. “Good?”

                “Of course,” He nodded. “Because tofu can get expensive, and I don’t like the taste anyways.”

                Mi Young laughed. “Well, I guess you’re right, then.”

                The waiter came by again and Andy ordered for the both of them, glancing at Mi Young for confirmation. The entrees—just like the appetizers—arrived quickly and the two gratefully dug in, their conversation momentarily interrupted as they enjoyed their food.

                “This is really good!” Mi Young exclaimed lightly.

                “You like it?” Andy grinned. “That’s what I had the first time I came here.”

                “What did you get?” She asked.

                “I wanted to try something new, and it’s good too.” He picked up a small portion of his food with his chopsticks and held it out to her, a playful look on his face. “Want to try?”

                Mi Young made a face. “Aish, okay…” She accepted his offer, resisting the urge to blush. “It’s also good.”

                Andy smirked at the embarrassed expression on her face. “Can I have some of yours?” He leaned forward, tipping his chin down slightly in what he knew was an irresistible puppy-dog pout.

                “Yah, stop being cute, pabo,” She whined, humoring him and feeding him with her chopsticks. “You’re horrible, Andy-ah.”

                He laughed. “We’re on a date, so why not do date-like things?”

                Mi Young covered her face, self-conscious. “Aigoo, I feel like I’m in a drama or something…”

                “Well, I am, so that’s not so bad, is it?”

                “Yah, you’re the step-brother, not the romantic interest.” Mi Young looked between her fingers. “That doesn’t count.”

                Andy stuck out his lower lip. “That’s true. I only got a few lines last episode…” He continued eating his meal, looking thoughtful. “I hope I turn out okay…”

                “Hm? You did really well in your last shoot. You’re not as stiff as the first recording.” Mi Young also returned to her food. “I’m sure it’ll be okay. I’m just glad that Lovers in Prague is getting good ratings.”

                “Yeah, I wasn’t sure how people would like it, but it’s not doing too bad.” He agreed, speaking between mouthfuls. “But I wonder how my character will be by the end.”

                Mi Young raised her eyebrows. “Are you worried you’ll be a bad guy?”

                “A little.” Andy confessed. “I mean… I guess I’ll be okay if he turns out wicked. I bet the fans will be surprised if I have to do something bad.”

                “Can you do it, though?” She pointed her chopsticks at him. “Will you be able to act evil if you have to?”

                “Of course!” He scrunched up his nose, speaking confidently.

                Mi Young giggled and Andy immediately sensed the doubt lingering in her thoughts.

                “You don’t believe me?” His voice suddenly dropped lower and his expression turned serious. “You don’t think I can pull it off?”

                Mi Young met his abrupt change with equal force, her expression also darkening. “Try me.”

                The two locked gazes, briefly forgetting about their food as they stared one another down. Mi Young’s eyes immediately pinned him with a sharp glare that sent a chill down his spine. Her thoughts went blank as she blocked out his ability, making her stare much more eerie and haunting.

                “Oooh,” Andy broke off, rubbing his arms to chase away the gooseflesh. “Mi Young-ah, you’re really scary!”

                Mi Young blinked, the amused sparkle returning to her eyes and a smile appearing back in place of her frown. “Am I?”

                “I thought you were going to try and kill me for a second,” He pressed his hands over his chest in an overdramatic display of fear. “Aigoo, look at my arm, I have chills.”

                Her expression became timid, her eyes round. “You do… I’m sorry for scaring you, Andy-ah.”

                “No, no, it was cool!” Andy brightened, easily chasing away her reservations. “If I have to be evil in the drama, can you teach me how to make a glare like that?”

                “I… I guess so,” Mi Young fussed with her chopsticks and began picking at her rice. “You had a pretty good stare, too.”

                “With expressions like that, you should be an actress.” Andy said.

                “What? Oh no, I couldn’t…” She shook her head.

                “You would be really good though,” He prodded earnestly, taking a hefty bite of his food before continuing. “Really powerful expressions.”

                “No, I don’t like being in front of a camera,” Mi Young insisted. “I’d rather be performing music than be an actress. I’d choose the stage any day.”

                “The stage…” Andy paused. “Like, a musical?”

                “Well,” Mi Young hesitated. “More like concerts, but I guess a musical wouldn’t be so bad. It isn’t really all about the singing or acting… it’s a cool combination of that.”

                That had Andy thinking. “I wonder… would I do well in a musical?”

                Mi Young’s expression suddenly straightened out and Andy sensed her thoughts shift frantically, attempting to hide something from him. A memory from the future?

                “I don’t,” She mumbled. “It’s something you’d have to try and find out…”

                He forced his ability to shut down, knowing that Mi Young was trying to block out something she didn’t want him to see. “Something to try, huh? Perhaps I will then. None of the hyungs have done any musicals, so maybe this is something I can try out first.”

                Mi Young nodded, a vague, unreadable look on her face. “Whatever you feel is best, Andy-ah.”

                He couldn’t help but laugh. “You’re not very good at hiding your feelings, Mi Young-ah.”

                “Y-yah, I’m trying…” She complained, her voice pitching indignantly. “It’s just… you have an unfair advantage.”

                “I know… Thanks for working so hard.” He dipped his head, truly grateful for her thoughtfulness.

 

                Once they had finished eating, Andy, Mi Young, Minwoo, and Youngmi left the restaurant, deciding to go get some ice cream. Despite the chillier weather, the four didn’t mind as they found a cute, quiet café nearby to eat their dessert.

                ‘I don’t know if I can finish one on my own…’ The thought crossed Mi Young’s mind and Andy immediately took advantage of it.

                “Want to share?” He offered, raising his eyebrows at her cutely.

                Mi Young gave him such a deadpan look in response that he almost fell out of his chair laughing.

                She shook her head, hiding a smile. Even though they were on a date and were supposed to be doing charming, sentimental things like that, she couldn’t help but feel like Andy was trying too hard.

                “Aish, so cute…” Minwoo grinned at the two of them. “It almost makes me sick.”

                “Yah!” Youngmi smacked her brother lightly. “You’re ruining the moment.”

                Andy sat back up, his laughter finally settling down to poorly suppressed giggles.

                “Minwoo-yah’s right though. If you keep using aegyo so much, I’ll just get tired of it.” Mi Young stuck her tongue out at Andy, not even bothering to cover what she knew was a heinous lie—she could never get sick of seeing him act adorably.

                “Okay, okay,” Andy held up his hands in surrender. “But seriously, do you want to share one? It’s a pretty large portion…”

                Mi Young regarded him for a moment before conceding. “Yes, I would.”

 

                After the four had finished their desserts, Minwoo drove them back to Mi Young’s apartment.

                “This was a lot of fun,” Youngmi commented as Minwoo pulled into a parking space outside the complex.

                “I’m sorry you didn’t get to eat with Andy-ah and me, though…” Mi Young looked down at her hands, a little guilty for ignoring her companion.

                “Yah, that was this dongsaeng’s fault, not yours.” Youngmi shook her head, nudging Minwoo’s shoulder. “And you two looked like you didn’t really need me around anyways.”

                “Aish, I didn’t know the food portions were that large,” Minwoo complained, putting the car in park so he could turn in his seat and properly join the conversation.

                “Of course you didn’t, Hyung.” Andy grinned, grabbing the older member from around the driver’s seat in a rough hug.

                “Well, either way, I had a good time.” Youngmi talked over the scuffle that had broken out between the two men, giving Mi Young a pointed glance.

                “I’m glad… I enjoyed myself, too.” Mi Young answered, a tiny smile on her face as she returned the exasperated look.

                “Yah, are you two five or something?!” Youngmi raised her voice as Minwoo hit the lever and reclined in his chair back as far as he could, effectively trapping a wailing Andy underneath it.

                “Really, now.” Mi Young added, laughing as Andy squirmed out from underneath the seat, slapping away Minwoo’s hands.

                “He started it!” Minwoo replied, diving into the backseat.

                “Aish…” Youngmi shook her head, gesturing towards the apartment building. “Well, I’ll talk to you soon, okay? Give me a call if you ever need anything…”

                “Yeah, I will,” Mi Young nodded, opening the car door. “Thank you so much, Youngmi-ssi, Minwoo-yah.”

                Andy and Minwoo looked up as a cold breeze blew into the vehicle.

                “Oh? Mi Young-ah, wait!” Andy freed himself from Minwoo’s grasp, practically lunging out the door after her. “See you, Hyung, Youngmi-ssi! Thanks!!”

                Mi Young didn’t look back as she headed into the complex, but she could hear Andy scrambling to catch up to her and she resisted the urge to laugh. ‘How cute…’

                It wasn’t until she was outside her apartment and unlocking the door that she turned back towards him. Andy had quieted down from his bout with Minwoo, his expression thoughtful.

                “Uh,” Mi Young looked down at her feet. “I don’t know if you heard in the car, but… I had a really good time.”

                “Y-yeah,” Andy leaned his hand against the doorframe, a deliberate move that put him much closer to Mi Young. “I did too.”

                Mi Young shifted back against the door, well-aware of his proximity. Andy’s expression was different—pensive and cool—but his eyes glimmered with a shyness that made him look much less confident than his posture suggested. Was he trying to be cool? It just looked strange to her.

                “Well… I guess I’ll see you later, Andy-ah.” Mi Young pursed her lips, self-conscious.

                “Ah…” As she turned towards her door, she heard Andy protest softly.

                She sighed and faced him again, folding her arms as she tried to conceal the fact that her heart was pounding. “Andy-ah, what is it?”

                The suave look in his eyes had disappeared, replaced with a nervous smile. He didn’t answer her question, just staring endearingly at her.

                “W-what?” She complained, his apprehension making her just as edgy.

                Andy laughed, looking up and running a hand through his hair. “Aigoo…”

                He didn’t really understand why he was having such a hard time. He had been kissed by his hyungs on countless occasions before and had returned the gesture just as many times. Even if this was a completely different scenario, why couldn’t he just lean forward and…

                He blinked as he saw that Mi Young had closed her eyes, mumbling timidly under her breath. He couldn’t understand what she was saying, but he couldn’t miss this opportunity.

                The moment Mi Young shut her eyes, she felt something warm against the side of her face. Her eyes snapped open and she came face-to-face with Andy, who had just planted a shy, clumsy kiss on her cheek.

                “Yah,” He jumped back quickly, putting a little space between them.

                “A-Andy-ah…”

                His face was beet red and he had a smile on his face that vanished as he covered his face with his hands. “I… I just wanted to do that.” He muttered before turning and fleeing. “Bye, Mi Young-ah!”

                Mi Young couldn’t move, but she gave a start and raised her voice as he ran away. “I… Yeah! I’ll see you, Andy-ah!”

 

[First off: I’m really sorry for everyone who has been patiently waiting for an update… The flashdrive that this (and most of my schoolwork) was saved in got corrupted a few weeks ago and I ended up losing a lot of my files!! Thankfully, I was able to recompile most of what I had lost, but that set me back a lot in terms of publishing chapters (especially since this chapter was lost and had to be completely rewritten from scratch…) Suffice to say that I’ve learned a really hard lesson in terms of backing up my files—recompiling 200 pages of work is the WORST experience to have to go through, so a tip to all my fellow writers/computer enthusiasts: you can NEVER have enough back-ups. EVER.

Add all that to the fact that I’ve been on the verge of a panic attack for a few weeks and the fact that I was ill several days before all my midterms… I can honestly say that I’m really glad April is over and I can refresh my outlook for May. But enough about me. What about the story?

Well, I remembered that Youngmi is the older sibling, not Minwoo… So I made a mistake in the earlier chapters when she called him ‘Oppa’, and I apologize for that… I am legally blind in terms of how terrible my eyesight is, so the little glasses anecdote is a real thing that happened to me. Also, I made some fun references to Lovers In Prague, which I finished watching at the end of March. It was my first Korean Drama and I squealed every time Andy was on screen, even if he was a little strange at times. But hey, that’s why we love him, right?

Also, some people might be confused as to why Youngmi came along for the date as an awkward third wheel—or at least that’s what we call it in America—but upon looking into dating culture in Korea, it’s normal for a woman to bring along a friend to a first date, in order to not appear ‘easy’ to the man, especially if it’s a blind date. I wasn’t really sure how to write that in since I don’t have much experience in dating either way(let alone from another country) and I ended up sending Youngmi off in the end anyways, but I found the concept really interesting. Plus, Andy knows American culture, so I guess that’s excuse enough. XD

More on our favorite maknae: cute, ‘I-wanna-be-cool-and-suave-like-the-hyungs’ Andy is ridiculously fun to think about and write… I imagine that all those episodes of Love Letter and X-Man have given him at least some idea of how to flirt, but whenever I see him attempting to do so in those variety shows, it only looks awkward and endearing instead of y… So I felt that Andy in a ‘real’ date would be super awkward, too! And yeah… I don’t really know how to end dates well, so bye Andy! Run away as fast as you can!!

I have some inspiration for what I’m going to do for the next couple of chapters, including more real event references relating to their solo activities during this time, so please look forward to it!]