August 2011

Shinhwa's Secret

                Mi Young didn’t really know what to say. She was paralyzed in shock from being employed with Shinhwa… The Shinhwa!!! She had walked into the interview hoping for a job that would keep a roof over her head and walked out with the occupation of her dreams. It was almost too unbelievable.

                Of course, as a job as a receptionist working on the floor Shinhwa Company was stationed at, she didn’t expect much in terms of seeing the actual members of Shinhwa and interacting with them.

                It didn’t hurt to hope for it, though.

                However, the thought of actually working with Shinhwa made her nervous—what would she say? Would she even be able to act professional around them, or would she be reduced to a quivering, star-stuck fan who got fired because she was unable to do anything productive in their presence?

                Jun Ho seemed completely confident in her abilities, but Mi Young wasn’t so sure.

                “Aish, I’ve really got to get it together…”

 

                For the next couple of weeks, Mi Young reviewed paperwork that was passed along and made sure they reached the proper hands. Occasionally she would have to leave paperwork for Eric to sign, but most of the time he was out and she would just leave the papers on his desk, a little disappointed.

                That wouldn’t last for long, though.

                “These papers need to be reviewed and proofed, and then signed by the CEOs so they can be taken down to the Liveworks management office.” Lee Jong Hyun—Eric’s manager—handed her a folder containing several sheets of paper.

                “Yes, I’ll do that right away Jong Hyun-nim.” She gave him a bow, smiling.

                “You don’t have to be so formal.” He reprimanded lightly.

                Mi Young ducked her head. He had said the same thing before but she was resistant, knowing all the hard work he did for the group and respecting that.

                “Mi Young-ssi, you’re doing very well for just starting out. Keep it up.” He waved to her as he headed out.

                She reviewed the paperwork carefully, making sure there were no errors with the information and scrawling her signature at the bottom to show she had gone over it.

                ‘He said to take it to the CEOs… Eric-nim and Minwoo-nim…’ She took a deep breath before getting to her feet, clutching the folder close to her and heading down the hall.

                She figured they would probably be out, preparing for their comeback or rehearsing something. So when she knocked and a voice answered her instead of the usual silence, she jumped.

                “Come in,” She had only heard the voice rapping on her CDs and in her headphones. It was deep, and vaguely familiar.

                “U-Uh, I have some paper…” She opened the door slowly, expecting to see the leader of Shinhwa sitting idly at his desk. However, she didn’t’ expect all six members to be staring back at her through the crack in the door. suddenly went very dry. “…Paperwork.” She managed to squeak out, staring fiercely at the floor.

                “Oh, hello.” She chanced a glance up and saw that Eric—who was wedged between Minwoo and Jun Jin was giving her a strange look. He obviously didn’t recognize her, even though she knew tons of information about him—and the other five, for that matter.

                “Is that the paperwork we have to sign?” Minwoo stood quickly, approaching Mi Young and giving her a friendly smile.

                “Y-yes it is, Minwoo-nim.”

                Minwoo’s smile grew as he broke out into laughter. She could almost feel the charisma radiating off of him in waves. It was little wonder why so many Shinhwa Changjos favored him once they met the group in person. “You’re so formal! It’s okay, you can call me ‘Oppa.’”

                Mi Young didn’t know how to reply, she was too shocked.

                “Aish, hyung…” Andy’s soft voice was exasperated. He averted his gaze shyly as she turned to him. “She’s already nervous as it is… Don’t be weird like that.”

                She pursed her lips. Were her nerves really that obvious to them?

                “You’re the newest hire, right?” Dongwan asked from his spot next to Jun Jin. He seemed genuinely interested and charming, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he grinned at her.

                “Yes, I’m Ji Mi Young. It’s v-very nice to meet you.” She bowed low and earned another muffled laugh from the group. Her face heated up in embarrassment.

                “You’ll learn pretty fast that you don’t have to be so formal with us. It’s okay,” Jun Jin spoke next. “Are you hungry? We’ve just ordered food.”

                “O-Oh… Well, I was g-going to take my break in a bit…” Mi Young stammered. Eat lunch with Shinhwa? She knew Jun Jin often expressed his worries and concerns about the other staff—not just the members—but offering to treat someone who he didn’t even know? What in the world had she done to deserve such good fortune?!

                “Hmm,” Jun Jin scratched his head. “I think we’ll have enough for one more. What do you say, Hyesung-hyung?” He nudged the main vocalist, trying to get him to at least acknowledge the new person in the room.

                “Yah, why are you asking me? I wouldn’t know…” Hyesung playfully shoved at Jun Jin’s shoulder. He gave her a timid, offhand nod, briefly meeting her gaze before looking away. Awkward and shy, even to the point of seeming a little cold… Mi Young knew exactly how Hyesung—her bias—would have greeted her, and he didn’t disappoint.

                “I think it’ll be okay. The managers, us, and one more… There should be some extra left.” Eric folded his arms, half attempting to sound like a leader and half joking around. “Plus, we have to go over the documents anyways, and talking over food is more fun.”

                “’More fun’? Hyung, you sound like we’re playing a game.” Jun Jin chuckled, easily keeping the atmosphere of the group light and cheerful.

                Minwoo waved Mi Young into one of the vacant seats beside Andy, who gave a bashful nod. She could feel her hands trembling slightly and when she looked up again she noticed Andy and Hyesung exchanging glances.

                However, there was something in Andy’s expression that gave Mi Young a strange feeling. As a fan of Shinhwa, she knew of how well the six men worked as a group and how over a decade of experience made it seem like they could read one another’s minds. But even so…

                Why did it look like Hyesung and Andy were having an entire silent conversation just by looking at one another?

                “So, shall we talk over lunch then?” Minwoo was talking again, catching her attention. His gaze was cheerful and personable, but looked a little concerned, as if she had noticed something she wasn’t supposed to.

                “U-uh… Well, I guess I could stay…” She said softly, shuffling through the folder before handing it over. “Here’s the paperwork…”