January 2006

Shinhwa's Secret

                It was a chilly start to the new year and Mi Young was headed on location to meet up with the Shinhwa members, who were gathering for a photoshoot. She greeted the other staff members cordially before spotting a cheerful familiar face waving her over.

                “Ahaha…” Dongwan gave Mi Young a strange look as she stood at his side, watching him get his make up done. “Are you hiding a pimple or something, Mi Young-ah?”

                Andy perked up at her name, turning in his chair to smile at her, but his expression changed as he saw her face.

                “Aish, don’t ask weird questions like that,” Mi Young adjusted the face mask concealing her nose and mouth shyly. “It’s because I have a cold…”

                “Ah, it’s your throat…?” Andy frowned. “It sounds like it’s pretty bad.”

                “No, I’m all right.” Mi Young spoke in a lower voice, obviously trying to mask the hoarseness in it.”

                “You’re not feeling well?” Jun Jin clapped her on the shoulder and she ducked away.

                “I’m all right,” She repeated, clearing and assuming a more professional manner and formal speech. “Andy-ah, you’re first up for the solo shoot, so after the group shots are taken you need to get changed, okay?”

                Andy didn’t answer, instead giving Minwoo and Jun Jin pointed looks as Mi Young left to consult the photographer and PD. They returned the glances with small nods.

 

                Mi Young watched the photoshoot closely, giving the members tips for their positioning and lightly reprimanding them when they began to act too crazy.

                “Yah, Dongwan-ssi! Not so far from the group, we can’t see you on camera.”

                “Yes, yes,” Dongwan laughed, scooting closer to Andy, who was standing slightly in front of him.

                “Okay, everyone smile!” The photographer directed.

                “YAH!” Andy leapt a foot in the air and the flash of the camera captured his jolt. He whipped around to glare at the vocalist. “Hyung!”

`               Dongwan cackled, a malicious look in his eyes as he held his hands out protectively, in case the maknae decided to attack him. “Andy-ah, your is just too cute.”

                “Aish…” Everyone laughed at Andy’s overreaction, making the maknae blush in protest. Any other day he would have sensed the older member’s ill intent and would have been prepared for it, but with his back twinging and his concern over Mi Young being at the front of his mind, Andy was caught off-guard by Dongwan’s naughty hand.

                He took a deep breath, willing himself to focus on the task at hand. With Minwoo and Jun Jin working with him, Mi Young would be okay.

 

                Mi Young began noticing that when the members would step back to view the photos behind the camera, either Jun Jin or Minwoo would hover over her shoulder. Normally Andy would be jumping at any opportunity to be close to her, but for some reason he wasn’t. It wasn’t until she felt Minwoo’s hand subtly grasp her shoulder and her exhaustion fade away that she realized what they were doing.

                Once the staff had begun the solo shoot and Andy was called to have his photos taken, she pulled Jun Jin and Minwoo aside. “Yah, quit it already.”

                Jun Jin feigned a look of surprise. “Why, why? What am I doing?”

                “Yeah, what are you talking about?” Minwoo pouted, shrugging his shoulders.

                “Did Andy-ah ask you to watch over me today?” Mi Young folded her arms, putting on an annoyed expression that didn’t quite register under her face mask. She lowered her voice. “I know you’re using your abilities on me.”

                There was a long silence, broken by the photographer and PD speaking somewhere in the next room.

                “Aish,” Minwoo scratched the back of his head. “Well, it’s not only Andy-ah. We’re concerned, too. You do seem like you’re really coming down with something, so why not give you some energy to help a bit?”

                “And I can’t really do anything to prevent you from getting sick, but at least I can do something to give you a boost.” Jun Jin dropped the façade as soon as Minwoo conceded, keeping his voice low in case any of the other staff were listening in.

                “I’ll be fine. Every time you get close to me, you risk catching my germs and falling ill, too. With Andy-ah’s back injury, the rest of you have to be even more careful about getting injured or sick.” Mi Young shook her finger at them. “No more of that, all right?”

                The two members exchanged defeated looks. “Okay, Mi Young-ah.”

 

                After she distanced herself from the members, Mi Young’s energy level plummeted. She hadn’t realized how much strength Jun Jin and Minwoo had been lending her, but she forced herself to shake off the nagging weariness and kept her expression bright, not wanting them to worry.

                She sorted through the array of outfits the members would be using during the shoot, keeping everything organized as the PD and photographer worked diligently to get the best shots possible.

                “Smile while looking away from the camera,” The PD instructed as the cameraman moved around, trying to get a good angle on Hyesung, who was shooting his solo photos.

                “Yes,” Hyesung nodded, turning up the corner of his lips.

                There was a flash.

                “…Less awkward smile, please.” The photographer shook his head, getting back into position.

                “Ah…” Hyesung laughed, sheepish. The camera flashed again, capturing his moment of embarrassment and startling the main vocalist. “Oh, was that…?”

                “That’s better, but look away from the camera.”

                Hyesung continued laughing, amused that his shyness had given the photographer something better than his forced smile.

                “YAH, HYESUNGIE!” Eric and Dongwan suddenly began shouting, catching Hyesung’s attention.

                “Aish, so awkward, so awkward…” Dongwan chanted, cupping his mouth in his hands to amplify his voice. “What kind of look is that?”

                “Awkward smile, Jung Pil Gyo,” Eric agreed.

                “Aigoo…” Hyesung—unable to keep his concentration—threw a glare at the two of them.

                “Oh, that’s a very charismatic look.” The PD commented, checking the photo that had just been taken.

                “I’m taking another shot…” The cameraman informed Hyesung.

                As Hyesung attempted to refocus, Eric and Dongwan interrupted again.

                “Aaaaaaaaaah!!” They both yelled, clinging to each other as their shout increased in volume, deafening the others sitting close by.

                “YAH!” Hyesung exclaimed, bursting out laughing.

                Mi Young shook her head, amused at the members’ antics. She continued shuffling through the hangers, putting Minwoo’s outfits in front so he could change quickly after Hyesung. As she turned to grab a pair of pants off the second hanger, she blinked as her vision suddenly blurred.

                ‘What…?’

 

                Andy jumped at the sound of a crash, quickly buttoning his shirt and peeking into the room where all their clothes were hanging. “What happen--”

                He froze at the sight of Mi Young on the ground.

                “Mi Young-ah!” He ran over, ignoring the ache in his back as he knelt by her side. Eric, Minwoo, Jun Jin, and Dongwan also came in, looking alarmed.

                “I… I’m all right.” She sat up, looking unsteady. “I just got a bit lightheaded, that’s all.”

                Andy helped her back to her feet, holding onto her arm in case she collapsed again. “Hyung, can you get water…?”

                Dongwan disappeared as Mi Young was led to a seat. Minwoo and Jun Jin stepped forward, ready to use their abilities, but Mi Young slapped their hands away.

                “What did I tell you about that?” She muttered. “I just need a moment to rest.”

                Andy frowned. “Mi Young-ah, you’re really ill.”

                “That was just a dizzy spell, I’m fine.” She shook her head adamantly. She whined in protest as Andy placed his hand on her forehead, checking her temperature. He tsked softly.

                “More like a fever.” He corrected.

                “You’re just being paranoid, Andy-ah.”

                Andy scowled, annoyed by her stubbornness. He turned to Eric, folding his arms and gesturing down to Mi Young. “Hyung, I’m not lying, am I?”

                Eric stepped forward and repeated Andy’s gesture, his eyebrows knitting together in concern as he checked for himself. “That’s not good. Mi Young-ah, you need to go home and rest.”

                “Aish…” Mi Young grumbled. “I’m not…”

                She broke off as the room began to spin. A pair of strong hands gently kept her upright. Andy? She couldn’t tell, not when the room was blurring in and out of focus.

                “Here, I have the water.” Dongwan’s voice came from somewhere on her left.

                “Mi Young-ah?” Andy spoke again, close to her ear. She blinked at the cup of water held out to her. “Can you drink?”

                She nodded, closing her eyes and letting her vision settle before taking a sip. The water was cold—much colder than she expected… Or was it that the room was just really hot?

                “I can go back with her.”

                “All right.”

                “It’s only the solo shots left, so I’m done, right?” Andy asked.

                “…Yeah, there aren’t any more group shots.” Eric confirmed. “Should I have Jong Hyun-ssi drive you?”

                “No, I’ll go with my manager.”

                “Okay, I’ll let the staff know.”

                “Thanks, Hyung.”

 

                Mi Young couldn’t recall how she had gotten back home. She dimly remembered Andy helping her up to her apartment and tucking her into bed, but everything was fuzzy before that.

                Andy sighed, watching as she stared at her nightstand blankly, her eyes glazed over with the fever that had only worsened during the drive home. “Mi Young-ah, you pushed yourself too hard.”

                Her gaze slowly traveled over to him. “Hnn…” She made a noise of mild annoyance in .

                He leaned over, gently pulling the face mask away from and letting her breath freely. Suddenly her vision sharpened and she made a vague gesture over to the dresser across the room, swatting his hand away weakly.

                Andy glanced over, not really comprehending what she was trying to tell him. “…Huh?”

                She pointed again. “You can’t get sick.” She mumbled, her soft response even more muffled under the thick fabric.

                He looked closer and saw another mask sitting on the top of the dresser, still wrapped in plastic. “Aish… Fine, I’ll wear it.”

                Once Mi Young had confirmed that Andy was protected from her germs, she let him remove her face mask and set it on the night stand. “Better?”

                “Yes,” She replied, content.

 

                Mi Young fell into an uneasy sleep a little after, leaving Andy with nothing to do. He wandered around the apartment, washing the dishes in the kitchen and putting them away neatly. Unable to sit still and forever neurotic about cleanliness, he even folded the laundry he found in the dryer and set them on her dresser before returning to her room.

                Once he had run out of things to do—Mi Young was generally a neat and organized person to begin with—he settled down and pulled out his Nintendo DS, passing time by playing Pokemon and checking on Mi Young as she slept. She was restless, hugging her second pillow close to her like a stuffed animal and occasionally sniffling in her sleep.

                After a couple of hours, Andy found himself nodding off. It had been a while since he had been out and actively doing things with the group—or anything at all, due to his back injury—and even a simple photoshoot wore him out quickly.

                “Yah…”

                Andy shifted, clearing his throat lightly as he continued to doze off, his eyes shut.

                “Yah.” He felt a weak aura flickering somewhere in the back of his mind, nagging persistently at him and preventing him from falling asleep. He frowned, trying to drown it out.

                “Andy-ah, stop using thunderbolt on a ground-type. It doesn’t have any effect!”

                He jolted awake, his DS almost slipping from his fingers. He had been mashing the A button subconsciously, using the same ineffective move over and over again as a result of his lapse in attention. However, he didn’t pay the game any mind, instead setting it on the nightstand and leaning over her. “Mi Young-ah, how are you feeling?”

                “Mmmph.” She groaned. Her face was puffy and her eyes—even after getting rest—were red. “Do you even know how to play Pokemon?” Was her only response.

                Andy rested his hand on the side of her neck, checking her temperature again and ignoring her comment entirely. “Aish, you’re skin is really hot,” His eyebrows knitted together in concern. “You definitely have a fever.”

                “Hnn… Andy-ah, your hand is like an ice pack… It’s nice…” She mumbled, her eyes sliding shut in delirious bliss.

                ‘Ice pack? Why didn’t I think of that before?’ Andy suddenly had an idea. “Mi Young-ah, I’ll get you something to cool down.”

                She hummed faintly, her thoughts protesting as he moved his hand away. “…No, it’s too hot…” She made a weak grab at his hand, missing completely.

                He gave a soft sigh. “I’ll be right back, I promise.”

                He left and searched through the kitchen cabinets until he found a small bowl and filled it with ice and a little bit of water, heading into the bathroom. Then, he found a washcloth and got it just damp enough to cool down, setting it in the ice bath for a few moments before returning and placing it on Mi Young’s forehead.

                Her nose wrinkled in protest. “Aigoo, that’s too cold!!” She whined.

                “Yah, don’t remove it… It’ll bring down your fever.” Andy nudged her hand away, making sure the cloth wasn’t going to fall off before sitting back down beside her.

                She blinked at him for a few moments and Andy laughed. “What, is there something on my face?”

                “…No, nothing,” She replied, instead turning to the DS he had retrieved. “Pokemon Emerald?”

                “Ah, yeah,” He showed her the green cartridge in the bottom slot. “With all the rest I’ve gotten with my injury, I was finally able to catch up with it.”

                “Sapphire was one of my favorites… Especially since that’s the version Latias is in.”

                “Latias…” Andy pursed his lips thoughtfully, trying to recall the distantly familiar name. An image of a pretty red and white Pokemon appeared in his mind. “Oh, I remember. It has the blue twin, right?”

                “That’s the one,” Mi Young nodded. “She’s my favorite.”

                “I don’t know if I have a favorite Pokemon,” He sat back, returning his attention to the game so Mi Young could watch. “Never gave it much thought, I guess.”

                She watched quietly as he worked his way through one round of trainers before speaking up. “Oh, I just remembered… There are instant noodles in the cabinet if you want food.”

                He looked up. “Oh, are you hungry, Mi Young-ah?”

                She stuck out her lip. “W-well, I was just saying in case saying in case you needed something to eat…”

                He couldn’t help but grin. If she was trying to be subtle about wanting food, she wasn’t doing a very good job. “Yes, but would you like some, too?”

                She didn’t answer right away, shy. “…Yes please…”

                It didn’t take long for Andy to find the packages of ramen in the cupboard and he quickly went to work, boiling the water and rummaging through the fridge as he waited.

                ‘Aha,’ He brightened as he pulled out a carton of eggs and some meat, deciding to surprise Mi Young with something in addition to the soup. He rifled through the cupboards again, finding some spices and laughing to himself as he added the noodles to the boiling water and rubbed his hands together, eager to experiment.

 

                Mi Young had fallen asleep again by the time Andy came back into her room, donning his face mask and carrying the small breakfast tray with one hand.

                “Mi Young-ah,” He crooned, waiting until she had opened her eyes blearily. “Your food is ready.”

                “Ah,” She pulled herself into a sitting postion and he set up the tray over her lap. Her eyes widened as she stared down at the bowl in front of her. “What’s this?”

                “Ramen,” He disappeared into the kitchen and came back with his own bowl. “I added a little to it, though.”

                “A little?” She repeated blankly. “Andy-ah, did you buy this from a noodle shop?”

                He laughed, pulling his chair back a little so he could remove his mask and eat. “No, I really made this. Try it.”

                Mi Young pushed out her bottom lip and obliged, her exhausted eyes brightening as she took a sip of the broth. “It’s really good. Yah, you seriously didn’t get take-out?”

               He leaned forward over his bowl swiftly, catching the noodles that hung out of his mouth as he suppressed laughs. “I promise that I didn’t. I used the eggs and some meat in the fridge with spices.”

                Mi Young quietly took her chopsticks, her speech muffled as she spoke through a mouthful of noodles. “I always heard about how amazing your cooking was, but I never got to try it.” She smiled once she had swallowed. “I’m glad I got the opportunity to since it’s so good.”

                Andy sat back. “You heard? When?”

                “You said so in some interviews and in…” Mi Young trailed off.

                Andy pursed his lips, thinking carefully. “I don’t think I’ve ever been asked about my cooking in an interview before.”

                Mi Young looked sheepish. She sniffed lightly, staring down at her bowl. “Forget I said anything. It might not have happened yet…”

                “Ah, I see.” Andy grinned. “It’s not like you to forget things like that, hm?”

                “…I’m sick,” She whined, pointed her chopsticks lightly at him. “It’s not fair.”

                “Hahaha,” Andy dipped his head. “I know, I’m just kidding.”

                “But really, your cooking skills are no joke.”

                “Thanks, Mi Young-ah,” Andy smiled. After a moment, his expression turned a little somber. “…I learned how to cook a lot from my mom, so when I’m on my own I like to try out different things when I make food at home.”

                “I see…”

                They ate quietly after that, a content, comfortable silence filling the room. Andy hadn’t realized how hungry he had been—he hadn’t eaten all day and had been so worried about Mi Young that he didn’t even notice his hunger until he had taken a sip of the ramen. Likewise, Mi Young’s condition improved as her body gained the nourishment and energy it needed to fight off her illness and soon both of their bowls were empty.

                Andy took the finished bowl and tray, setting it aside and replacing the washcloth on Mi Young’s forehead with a fresh, cooler one.

                “Just leave the dishes in the sink so I can clean them tomorrow.” She mumbled as he disappeared into the kitchen.

                “Sure, sure…” Andy shrugged his shoulders. He set his used bowls down and ran the tap to rinse them out, looking around for a sponge. It wouldn’t take him that long to clean, would it?

                “Yah, I hear the sink running,” Despite being ill, Mi Young managed to make her voice just loud enough for him to hear. “What did I just say? I’ll wash the dishes when I’m better!”

                “Aish,” Andy sighed, shutting off the tap. “It’s not that much work for me to do,” He folded his arms, returning to her bedroom.

                “Still… What kind of person has someone else clean for them in their own apartment?” Mi Young had settled back down in her bed, giving him a frown.

                “A sick person,” He countered promptly. When Mi Young opened to protest, he cut her off. “You’re always so worried about being polite. It’s okay to let things go once in a while, especially when you’re not feeling well.”

                “It’s… It’s just the way I am,” Mi Young muttered. “And besides, aren’t you the one being too polite?” She tipped her head towards the dresser, where a stack of neatly folded clothes was sitting. “Really, isn’t folding someone else’s laundry a little strange?”

                Andy laughed. “I’m surprised you noticed that already.” He scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. “That’s not really being polite though… I just didn’t have anything to do and saw it in the dryer, so I started folding out of habit.”

                “…You’re weird, to even be going through another person’s dryer in the first place.”

                “You think so?”

                “And I’m guessing you’ll try and wash the dishes again anyways once I’m resting, right?”

                He grinned. Even with her fever, her perception wasn’t dulled in the slightest. And neither was her sharp tongue or blunt speech.

                Mi Young pouted. “I guess I can’t really do anything about it, then…” She lay back, blinking her eyes slowly, but she frowned and shook her head a few times.

                “What’s wrong?” Andy asked.

                She gave him a strange look. “N-nothing… It’s just…”

                Andy activated his ability. He could feel waves of sleepiness and exhaustion pulsing from Mi Young’s aura. “You know, if you’re tired, you can sleep. You don’t have to wait up with me or anything like that.”

                “Is anyone else here?”

                “No, we just got dropped off at your apartment. The hyungs were still working on the photoshoot when we left.”

                “So… Is your manager going to come pick you up?”

                “Well, I can call… But your fever still hasn’t gone down.” He pursed his lips. “I don’t want to go because it might get worse.”

                Mi Young bit her lip. “So basically, you’re going to be staying here?”

                Andy shrugged. “Unless you want to go back to my place, but there wouldn’t be any point to that since you’re already resting here. I won’t leave you alone until you’re better.”

                She shifted, giving him another strange look that he couldn’t help laughing at.

                “Really, what’s wrong with you? If you want to say something you can.” Andy huffed.

                Mi Young gave him a good-natured glare before finally speaking her mind. “Y’know, I can beat you up if you try anything funny…” She poked at his chest threateningly, but with no strength behind the gesture, her hand just ended up flopping over to the side.

                “Aish, is that what you’re worried about?” Andy shook his head. “I’ll sleep on the couch if you’ll be able to rest better like that, okay?”

                “Hnnf…” Mi Young’s fingers twitched in what he presumed to be a ‘yes’.

                He sighed, readjusting the washcloth before it slipped off the side of her face and making sure the glass beside her bed was full of water.

                Mi Young watched him methodically check everything over, a somber look in her eyes. ‘You’re taking such good care of me…” She mumbled shyly.

                Andy didn’t look up, soaking another washcloth in the newly replaced ice bath in case the one on her head got too warm. “Of course. Taking care of your health is the most important thing.”

                Mi Young looked a little surprised. “You think health Is most important?”

                Andy nodded, still avoiding her gaze. “Being in good health is everything to me,” His voice changed. “It’s not something my family is very good at.”

                Mi Young looked down at her bedsheets. So it was about that. “Is… How is your mother doing?”

                Andy glanced her way. “Some days are better than others… It comes and goes, y’know?”

                She nodded slowly. “You worry a lot about her, don’t you?”

                He sat down, finally meeting her gaze. “Yeah, I do.”

                “Sometimes you worry too much about her and don’t take care of yourself.”

                A small smile appeared on his face, one that made his eyes glitter even under his face mask. “You think so?”

                Mi Young gave him a pointed look. “I know so. But Andy-ah, don’t forget that you’re the son.”

                “I’m the son?”

                “Yeah,” Mi Young sat up a little straighter, her eyes brightening despite her fever. “Even though your mom is ill, you should still take care of yourself and be happy so she won’t worry about you.”

                He paused, thoughtful.

                “She’s just like every other mom. She carries all of your concerns as well as her own, so don’t forget to take good care of yourself so she won’t have to worry about you.

                He smiled again. “Yah, you’re telling me this while you sit, sick in bed with a fever. How does that look?”

                Mi Young giggled weakly. “I guess that does ruin my message a little. But maybe it’s because I’m like a mom, too. I worry about everything.”

                “Yeah, that is true. You also worry too much.”

                She stuck out her tongue. “Aish, no need to be so blunt about agreeing. I know my own character flaws, okay?”

                Andy burst out laughing. “Really, ’chracter flaws’? What is this, a novel?”

                “Yah, it might be,” Mi Young replied jokingly. “Aigoo, I don’t even know what I’m saying anymore…”

                “Well, you should be resting, so I’ll go so you can sleep.” Andy checked the temperature of the washcloth before flipping it over. His gaze softened. “Thanks for the advice, though. I’m sure Umma would agree with you, so I’ll try not to worry so much.”

                Mi Young nodded, closing her eyes.

                He paused in the doorway, removing his face mask from safety of the hall. “Good night, Mi Young-ah. Get some rest…”

 

[GUYS I’M ALIVE (But just barely)! So… again with my incredibly horrible updating schedule… Finals week, summer work, and a whole crap-ton of other stuff has me exhausted and blocked when it comes to writing anything nowadays… I was hoping to have the whole fanfiction DONE by August, but I’m still only in the year 2006… Aish…

Well, about this chapter: Yeah, my favorite Poke’mon is Latias :D And I know the members like playing video games (I remember Hyesung doing a shoot with a Nintendo DS) so I thought that would be fun to throw into the mix. I like bringing Andy’s cleaning habits into the story (after watching WGM how can I not?) since he’s SUCH A NEAT FREAK. Then again, it’s just another thing to love about the Shin-maknae. And WHOO breaking the 4th wall at the end of the chapter~

I would say updates are going to happen regularly from now on, but with life being such a pain in the and everything always changing around me, I don’t want to let you all down more than I already have… :/ I’m sorry…

RicSyung incoming! Abort abort!!]