CHAPTER 11

What You Do To Me

“So how’s your mom doing?” Junhwe turns around, and asks me. I’m sitting in the back of his car with Donghyuk, and Junhwe is sitting in the front. He offered to give me a ride home because my place is on the way.  

“Good.” I say, “She hasn’t been coming home drunk like she used to. It’s nice to see to getting better. Seriously, you don’t know how thankful I am for you two.”

“It’s nothing really.” Donghyuk says reassuringly.

“Yeah, you really don’t have to worry about it.” Junhwe adds, and then chuckles “And tell your mom that I said thank you and that I’m okay with being at home by myself.”

“Huh?” I say, confused.

“She stopped by my house after her first paycheck to pay back some of the money, and she found out that my parents are out of town a lot. So she’s been sending me money along with boxes of side dishes. I’m not even close to finishing the first one yet.” Junhwe laughs. For the first time I see Junhwe, the teenager, and not the Junhwe who always keeps his mature, adult-like composure.

“Oh, I didn’t even know she was doing that.” I say, embarrassed. “I’ll tell you to stop sending them.”

“Well…she doesn’t have to stop sending them…” Junhwe says, shyly. “Maybe just smaller portions…”

“Okay,” I smile, “Smaller portions, then.” Junhwe gives me a wide smile, and faces forward.

When the rest of the guys came back to Bobby-sunbae’s condo, Hanbin and I ate as the guys asked me questions about what happened. And I ended up telling them about almost everything. Of course, I wasn’t the only one to talk. I got to know all of them a lot better, and time just flew by. We talked, ate, and talked some more. We talked for so long that the guys got hungry again and ordered more delivery to the condo. 

“So,” I start and both guys turn to me, “I never said this at Bobby-sunbae’s condo, but I think I’m gonna call Sunghyun-oppa out and officially end things with him tomorrow.”

“Yeah?” Junhwe says, and I nod. “Do you want us to come with you? You know, for like…emotional support?”

“No, I think I can handle it myself.” I pause. “And could you not tell the rest of the guys, especially Hanbin? I feel like he’d do something he’ll regret.”

“Agreed.” Donghyuk says and Junhwe nods in agreement. “Don’t worry noona, we won’t say a thing.”

“Thanks.” I say, and the car comes to a stop. I look out and we’re right in front of my place. “Ahjussi, thank you for the ride” I call to the front, and the driver gives a friendly nod.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow?” I ask Donghyuk and Junhwe, as I get out of the car.

“For sure, good night noona.” Junhwe says, while Donghyuk waves.

 

I’m sitting on my bed, looking at my phone nervously. I have to do it, I think to myself and I call Sunghyun-oppa.

“Hello?” he says.

“Hi.” I say, trying to keep my composure together.

“Hi.” He says back. And we stay silent for several moments. I gather up all of my courage and say what I wanted to say.

“Can we meet up and talk tomorrow?”

“Yeah. I’ll come to you.”

“At my school, at 4.”

“Okay.”

“See you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow.” And we both hang up. I lie down, and I rehearse, in my head, what I want to say to Sunghyun-oppa tomorrow.

 

Since what happened yesterday, there’s a weird buzz around the school, especially with the girls. I was expecting the girls to try to corner me again or continue with the bullying, but they’ve been avoiding me all day. I walked into the washroom during lunch, hoping not be noticed, but instead, as soon as I walked in, all the girls stop talking and quickly filed out of the washroom.

But maybe it’s just my paranoia because I’m running on minimal amounts of sleep right now. The only thing on my mind today is what I’m going to say to Sunghyun-oppa after school. I look up at the clock and it’s 2. Two more hours.

 

The final bell rings signaling the end of the day. Instead of leaving immediately, like I usually do, I sit at my desk and take my time.

“Hey, you’re still here.” Hanbin says, as he’s getting up. “You’re usually gone by now.”

“Yeah. Um...I don’t have work today.” I say, not expecting him to ask me that.

“Well… I’m meeting up with the rest of the guys, if you want to come.”

“Um…Maybe next time.” I’m trying to find an excuse, “I have to…meet up with a friend later.” As soon I say it, I regret it. Since when did I have friend to meet up with, and Hanbin knows I don’t have any friends.

“Oh, okay. Um, maybe next time then.” He says, giving me a slight smile. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” He packs the rest of his books and leaves the classroom.

“Yeah, see you tomorrow.” I say quietly, as he’s walking out the door. I feel bad for lying to Hanbin, but I can’t tell him, at least not until after I end things with Sunghyun-oppa. I check my phone and it’s almost 4. I pack up my things and head to my locker.

It’s a couple minutes past four, and I’m still at my locker, putting away books. It feels weird being here, I’m never at school at this time, and it’s awfully empty in the halls. I guess everyone leaves as soon as possible.

“Yoonjin?” I hear a familiar voice say and I turn around to see Sunghyun-oppa.

“Hi.” I say.

“How are you?” he asks, in that voice that I used to find so much comfort in. But not anymore. I can’t have any second thoughts, I think to myself; this has to be done.

“I’ve been okay.” I say, “So what I wanted to talk about is-“

“Wait, Yoonjin. Can I talk first?” he asks, and I let him talk.

“I’m really sorry” he says, “What I did was wrong, can we just act like none of that happened?”

“Like it didn’t happen?” I say back. Well there goes everything I planned to say last night.

“Yeah.” He says, “I just want to go back to how we were before.”

“How am I supposed to act like it didn’t happen? For all I know, you’ve been seeing that girl for a long time, how am I supposed to know what was real and what was a lie?”

“None of it was a lie, I promise.”

“How do I know if you aren’t lying like you were before? I can’t trust you oppa, I’m sorry.”

“You can’t trust me? After all I’ve done for you.” he says, and I can tell he’s starting to get irritated. “Oh wait, let me guess, did you listen to that little b*tch who likes you?”

“This has nothing to do with Hanbin, don’t drag him into this” I say, trying not to yell. “All of this is from my own thoughts. I want to end our relationship.”

“No, I won’t let it.” Sunghyun-oppa pleads, grabbing my shoulders really hard. “Yoonjin, I said I was sorry, just take me back and forget about all of this.”

“Ouch, stop it, oppa. You’re hurting me.” I try to struggle free.

“Yoonjin, listen to me please.” His grip on my shoulder gets tighter.

“No I’m not going to. I’m done with all of this. Please, oppa, just let go.” I feel the pain in my shoulders, and I continue to try to get shake him off.

“I said, listen to me!” he shouts, and slams me against the lockers. The wind is knocked out of me, and I look at Sunghyun-oppa who looks furious. Immediately realizing what just happened, Sunghyun-oppa’s expression changes. He finally lets go out my shoulders, and, losing the strength in my legs, I slump to the ground. I can’t believe this is Sunghyun-oppa. This isn’t the caring and gentle oppa who I thought I knew.

“Oh my god. Yoonjin. I’m so sorry” Sunghyun-oppa apologizes, and reaches toward me to help me up “I don’t know what happened, I just – “

And before he could finish his sentence, a fist comes flying towards Sunghyun-oppa’s face. Sunghyun-oppa falls to the ground and Hanbin jumps on him.

“Don’t ing touch her!” Hanbin yells, as he continues to punch Sunghyun-oppa. There’s blood coming out of Sunghyun-oppa’s nose and mouth; bruises are starting show on his cheeks and his eyes are already swollen. The guys are trying to pull Hanbin off, but Hanbin shakes them off and continues to punch him.

“Hanbin, stop it.” I manage to say. I’m horrified by what’s happening, and my body won’t listen to me. “Hanbin.” I say again, a little louder this time, but Hanbin can’t her me.

“Hanbin!” I finally yell. He freezes and turns to me, his eyes full of rage. “Stop, just stop.” I say, feeling tears running down my face. Our eyes are locked onto each other for several seconds, and Hanbin’s eyes widen, realizing what he had just done. His shoulders slump and he lets the guys pull him off of Sunghyun-oppa. Sunghyun-oppa groans and tries to get up, only to fall back down.

“Damn, Hanbin. You beat him up pretty badly.” Yunhyeong-sunbae says, as he puts Sunghyun-oppa on his back.

“Noona, you okay?” Donghyuk rushes towards me and helps me up. “I’m sorry we showed up,” he whispers “Junhwe and I tried to get him to avoid you, but he knew something was up.”

“It’s okay, Donghyuk.” I say.

“Donghyuk, take Yoonjin home.” Bobby-sunbae says. Donghyuk nods and takes me away.

We walk in silence, and when we leave the school, Donghyuk stops walking.

“What’s wrong?” I ask.

“I don’t have my driver with me today. Junhwe’s driver usually drives me home after school.” He says, looking worried. And for the first time all day, I laugh.

“Come on.” I say as I keep walking.

“Wait noona! Where are we going?” he yells as he catches up to me.

 

“Here we are.” Donghyuk says, as he puts down our drinks and sits down.

“Thanks.” I say, taking my drink and letting the heat warm up my hands. Since we have a lot of time to kill, we decided to stop at a café. “So, any news?”

“Nothing serious.” Donghyuk says, “The doctor said that he’s fine.”

“Thank goodness.” I let out a sigh of relief. “How’s Hanbin?”

“Pretty shaken up. They’re all at the hospital right now, waiting for the guy’s parents to come. Hopefully they won’t take it up with the school, or else Hanbin will be in a lot of trouble.”

I stay silent.

“Don’t worry about them. It’s nothing Hanbin can’t handle, and no one was seriously hurt.”

“I know.”

“Then why do you look so upset?” he asks.

“It’s nothing.”

“It’s not nothing.” He says, “ There’s something on your mind, I can tell. Maybe I can help you with some of it.”

“I was just thinking how…” I try to find the words to say it. “Every time I’m in some sort of trouble, Hanbin is always there. And I can’t help but feel like I’m that ‘damsel in distress’ type of girl, but I don’t want to be that girl.”

“Well all of us guys are usually there.” He says, with a straight face.

“That’s what I mean!” I say, trying to clarify. “You guys have always been there.”

“I was just kidding” he snorts, “I know you only have eyes for Hanbin-hyung.”

“That’s not it!” I say, blushing, and Donghyuk laughs at me.

“You’re wrong, you know?” He says, “You’re not a damsel in distress.”

“Then why am I always being saved?”

“Because sometimes friends can’t help but to come to the rescue, even if they know you can handle yourself.” He says, with a warm smile. I give Donghyuk a smile, and I remain silent again. I feel like if I continue talking, I’ll start tearing up. 

===========

Ah! I keep saying that I'll update quicker, but I've been gone longer than last time! Sorry sorry! School has just been way too hectic for me to juggle everything T^T and right when I think I have a break, I have finals coming up. Sad life as a student! Anyways, thank you for being patient with my ever so slow updates, and thank you for reading! Every time I log on, I either have new subscribers or new story comments so I feel extremely grateful :) cyber hugs to everyone!