CHAPTER 4

What You Do To Me

Happy New Year everyone!! I wish everyone a wonderful 2014! =D 

=============

A month has passed, and my life has become a lot more complicated, but it hasn’t been as bad as I imagined. I’ve only been forced to each lunch at the same table with the Seoul National Six, along with the other targets. The targets at the table are usually treated harshly, like getting food dumped on them or whatever the guys want them to do. But strangely, none of it happens to me, which makes me very uncomfortable sitting at the table.

“Eat your lunch.” Hanbin would just say to me, as all the other targets are getting bullied. It’s hard to watch them get bullied, while I’m just sitting here getting told to eat my lunch. Which is why I don’t. I don’t think my conscience could stomach it. Besides this, I just have to put up with their occasional teasing, but it’s nothing too harsh.

As a result of this, the students have been making a big deal out of it. I’ve heard some rumors being spread as to why I’m being treated differently, and it makes me sick thinking about it. Even the students, who I was somewhat close with, have stopped talking to me. At first, it was because they didn’t want to be associated with the Seoul National Six in any way, fearing they’d be targeted too; but now, they just don’t want to be associated with me in general because of the rumors. Everywhere I go in school, I hear students whispering about me as I walk by, and it’s starting to get to me.

I’ve noticed that my old symptoms have been coming back slowly, and I’ve been spending more and more time trying to clear my head, whenever I can get away. And since the bathroom is usually occupied, I’ve had to sneak up to the roof all the time to use as my hiding place.

Doesn’t she have a boyfriend? I hear a group of girls whispering, as I walk down the hallway to my locker.

I wonder what kind of dirty things she has to do to get out of being tormented. I hear from another girl. I keep my head down and clench onto my books tightly, trying to block their voices out. I finally get to my locker, and I think I’m safe, when two girls from another class come up to me.

“Tell us your secret.” One of the girls say.

“What secret?” I reply, trying to act like I don’t know what they’re talking about.

“You know,” the other one says, as I’m pulling my books out of my locker “Your secret to have the Seoul National Six in the palm of your hand. You must be doing some…extra curricular activities with them.” And both girls start to snicker. Taking it out on the locker, I slam my locker door shut. Both girls startle and look at me wide-eyed. I’m about to open my mouth and say something back at them, when a familiar voice says behind me.

“Who said you two could talk to her?” he says. I turn around and sure enough, it was Hanbin.

“We’re, we’re sorry.” They both apologize and run away. When they’re out of sight, I start walking to class.

“Hey, where are you going?” Hanbin catches up to me, and puts his arm around my shoulders. “The least you could do is thank me fro getting rid of those two girls.” And immediately, students are pointing at us and whispering. I quickly push his arm off me, and I walk faster to get away from him. I guess Hanbin is right, if it weren’t for him those two wouldn’t have left me alone. But before I start to feel thankful, I remember that if it weren’t for him, none of this would be going on right now.

 

I manage to finish my day of school without many problems, and work is going well, until I get a call from my mom. I haven’t seen her a week, so I wonder what she wants, but then it worries me because she never calls me. If she wanted something she would just talk to me at home.

“Yoonjin,” she says in a shaky voice. I can hear the desperation “Please come help me, I’m in a lot of trouble.”

“Mom, where are you right now? What happened?” I quickly say, worried.

“I’m at Club Blue,” she says, sobbing. “Yoonjin, you have to come help me please. They won’t let me leave, they said I have to pay back my debts today. I was supposed to work it off, but all of a sudden they told me I had to pay it all back.”

“Calm down, mom. Everything will be okay” I say to her, my hands shaking. “How much do you owe them?”

“One…one million won” she quietly says,

“One million?!” I exclaim. “We don’t have that kind of money, how are you supposed to pay that off?”

“I – I have some money saved up, hidden in the drawer in my room. Please Yoonjin, come quickly.”

“Okay. I’ll be there right away.”

“Yoonjin, I’m so sorry” my mom continues to cry.

“It’ll be okay mom. I’ll be there soon.” And I hang up. It’ll be okay, I say to myself and I take a couple of deep breaths. I run to my mom’s room and dig through her drawers until I find a box at the bottom. I open it and dump out all of its contents. I count all the money my mom has had saved up, but it’s not even close to a million.

What do I do? Where else can I get money? I ask myself, when I think of the money I’ve saved up from work. I run back to my room and pull out my checking book. The money I’ve been slowly saving up for the past two years for university. I feel reluctant about taking it out, but it’s an emergency, I have to use it. I stuff all the money into an envelope, put it safely in my backpack and I’m out the door.

While running to the club, I stop at the closest ATM, and withdraw all the money from my account, and then putting it together with my mom’s money. Even though it’s not even half the amount my mom owes, hopefully they’ll let me pay them back at a later date.

When I get to the club’s entrance, I bump into two guys walking in, and my backpack drops onto the floor.

“Sorry!” I apologize, as I pick up my backpack and run in. I make my way down the stairs as quickly as possible, and I’m about to open the doors, when two bouncers stop me.

“Miss, you’re underage, you can’t enter here” one of them says to me.

“My mom’s in there.” I say to them, out of breath. “I’m here to pay her debt.”

Upon hearing this, the two bouncers look at each other and nod. The other bouncer ushers me in, and tells me to follow him. We make our way through the club, and we end up in a hallway where all the private rooms are. The bouncer points to one of the rooms, and I proceed down the hallway. I stop at the door he was pointing at, and I take a deep breath before I go in.

When I open the door, the first thing I see is my mom lying on the couch unconscious. I immediately, run to her to see if she’s okay. I lift her head up, and her face is all bruised. As I’m trying to wake her up, the door opens and a middle-aged man in a suit walks in.

“Ah you must be her daughter.” He says. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“What have you done to her?” I ask, furious.

“Well,” he starts “This b*tch here owes me money. And I want her to pay me back tonight. I told her she couldn’t leave until she pays me back, but she tried to escape, so I had my men take action so she wouldn’t run away.”

What did my mom get herself into, I think to myself. These men are dangerous, why would she even ask them for money to begin with?

“Well?” he continues to talk, “Do you have the money?” I slowly walk up to the man, hand him the envelope of money and cautiously back away.

“I know it’s not enough.” I pick my words carefully, as he opens the envelope “But – but, I promise I will pay you back soon. I’m even working – “ And before I could explain myself, the man throws all the money onto the ground and looks at me.

“Did you honestly think you were going to be able to get away with this small of an amount?” he asks, as he walks and stops right in front of me. “From what I saw, that’s not even an eight of the amount your mom owes me.”

“I’m sorry.” I say, trying to keep myself standing without falling over in fear, “I only make so much from my part time jobs, and most of it goes to our rent.”

“I don’t want to hear excuses.” He says

“I promise that I’ll pay you back the money as soon as possible, I just can’t right now and – “ I start to beg

“I said I don’t want to hear excuses!” he yells at me, and raises his hand to hit me. I see him swing his arm towards me, and I close my eyes, hoping that everything will disappear.

==============

I just saw that I have 88 subscribers!!!!! Wow, I can't even believe people actually read my fanfics let alone having 88 subscribers..you guys have no idea what this means to me! Thank you, thank you, thank you <3 I'll definitely keep working hard with my fanfics, and try to update as much as possible! Thank you again~~