CHAPTER 6

What You Do To Me

I take back what I said. Hanbin has not stopped annoying me at all, and I don’t think I can handle it anymore. The other day in class, he would not stop turning around to talk to me, and he ended up getting us both in detention after school, which made me late for work. And for some reason, he won’t stop following me during and after school.

“Whatcha doing?” he’ll ask me, every time he sees me, even if I’m just walking. And that’s the nicest he ever does. If I walk by, he’ll trip me. If he’ll walk by me, he’ll either kick my bag away or throw my books onto the ground.  He just won’t leave me alone. During lunch, he’s started to command me to do things for him like get napkins or put his lunch tray away. What’s weird though, is that the bullying of the other students has gotten a lot better. From what it was before, it’s only down to me and another guy in my grade at the lunch table. But from the gossip being spread around, he’s transferring to another school soon, which means I’ll be the only left.   

The worst part about all of this though is the rumors that have been spreading. They’re starting to get worse and worse. The other girls have even started to harass me at school. I’ve found some pretty gross things and some nasty letters in my locker, which confuses me because how do they even know my locker combination. I’ve been actually finding myself running away from the other students more than the Seoul National Six. I would have never thought that what the students do to me is worse than being bothered by them.

I’m sitting in class, and I hear the students whispering words about as they glance over to my direction. I want to leave, but I can’t just get up in the middle of class and leave. Focus on the teacher, I think to myself, focus on what she’s teaching. I try to focus, but all I hear is the whispering. Okay breathe, Yoonjin, let’s try to write. I try to write notes, but my hand won’t stop shaking.

Out of reflex, I frantically go into my backpack and start looking for something that I haven’t seen in a long time. When I hear the rattle of a bottle, I know I’ve found what I was looking for. Hearing the ruckus, Hanbin turns around and looks at what I’m doing.

Ignoring him, I open the bottle without pulling it out of my bag and quickly grab two pills. I put my hands back onto my desk, the pills still in my grasp.

“Turn around, Hanbin.” The teacher says, annoyed with his shenanigans. As she continues to teach, Hanbin lets out a sigh and turns around.

I open my right hand, and I stare at the very familiar pills that I took when my social anxiety was at its worst. I quickly pop them into my mouth, and wash it down with some water from my water bottle.

This has to stop, I think to myself, I’ve had enough of it. I don’t think I can take anymore of this harassment, and I don’t know what will happen if it gets worse. I’m going to have to stop this from the source itself. I’m going to confront Hanbin and tell him to leave me alone, so the students can too.

As I’m formulating my plan, I feel my determination increasing. I can do this.

===

“Turn around, Hanbin.” The teacher calls on me. I let out a sigh, and turn around; It’s like the teacher has eyes on the back of her head or something, I didn’t even see her turn around from the board.

I rest my head on my desk, and I wonder what Yoonjin is looking for in her bag. I heard a little bit of rattling, but that could’ve been anything. And she looks like something is really bothering her. From what I’ve been noticing, it’s probably how the other students have been treating her, and it makes me mad when I overhear the rumors that are being spread.

I’ve talked to the other guys about this, and they told me that it’s because I’ve been treating her too well, compared to the other targets we’ve had. Which is why I’ve started to pick on her a bit more, hoping the other students will stop.

And yes, I like Yoonjin. I don’t even know why. Sure, she’s really pretty and from what I’ve heard she’s smart too. But other than that I know nothing about her, besides the fact she works a lot of part time jobs. It’s just something about her that makes me her different from all the other girls at school who throw themselves at me, which by the way, I find very annoying when those girls do that. For some reason I only notice her.

I know it’s cheesy and cliché to say, but I think I started liking her the first time I saw her. I remember how I wondered why she tolerated all that crap from that manager; she should’ve said something when it wasn’t her fault. The thought stayed in mind for a long time, and for some reason I just couldn’t think of a reason why anyone would not stand up for themselves like that.

And then when she was crying in that alleyway; I remember walking by with the guys, and I saw something in the corner of my eye, so I looked to see what it was. When I looked, Yoonjin was sitting there, tears falling down her face and she was looking right at me. Even though I only walked by, our eye contact felt like forever. I remember vividly how my heart was hurting for her, and how I wanted it to stop. I had no idea who she was then, but I wanted to hold her and tell her that everything was going to be okay, even if it wasn’t. I wanted to protect her from anything that would hurt her.

And then finding out that she’s in my class, made me selfish. I wanted to keep her close by so I decided to make her one of our targets, which was such a mistake because it just made her open for all the students to judge. It bothers me that I can’t do anything about it. If I do nothing, it won’t stop, but if I stand up for her, things will just get worse.

The class bell rings, and I lose my train of thought. As I pack by books, I turn around, and of course, Yoonjin has already left the classroom. I leave the classroom and subconsciously head for her locker.

From far away, I can already spot her at her locker. She’s packing her things before heading to her first part time job. She closes her locker and flings her backpack onto her back, and I see a book fall out of her bag. Immediately, I get to her locker and pick up the book she dropped. Dodging the crowds of students, I finally catch up to Yoonjin, and I put a hand on her shoulder to stop her. She turns around, and I hand her her book.

“Thanks…” she quietly says, and reaches forward for it. I already start to hear students talking about us, and I react to it by pulling the book out of her reach. I can tell that she’s getting annoyed by all of this, but things will be better if I keep this act up.

“Give my book back.” She says.

“Why should I?” I ask her.

“You know what, keep it, because I’ve had enough.” She says coldly.

“What?” I say, out of surprise.

“You heard me. I’ve had enough of you and your annoying antics. It’s not like I’ve done anything to you, can’t you just stop all of this and leave me alone?”

“I didn’t mean to – “ I say, taken aback by her confrontation, when she cuts me off.

“Didn’t mean to what? Make me one of your targets, as the whole school watches. Well guess what? It happened, and I went from a nobody to a somebody” she pauses, and I can see tears starting to well in her eyes, “A somebody that is being talked about and judged by all the other students. I can’t even walk down a hallway without hearing people talk badly about me and spread disgusting rumors. Seriously Hanbin, was this part of your plan for targeting me this whole time?”

“No, it wasn’t I – “

“Then why are you doing this to me?” she exclaims, and a tear falls.

I don't know what to say to her. Yoonjin is still talking to me, and a couple of her words register in my head. But I’m not listening because all I’m focusing on are the tears that keep falling from her eyes. I can’t stand to see her cry; I don’t want to be the one doing this her. Please stop crying, I plead in my head. I want to tell her everything I’m thinking, and of all the millions of thoughts, only one comes out of my mouth.

“I like you.” I mutter, under my breath, without thinking.

“What?” Yoonjin says, questioning whether she heard what I just said or not.

“I like you, Jung Yoonjin.” I say, clearly, and I regret it immediately after I say it. Hearing what I just said, everyone around us goes quiet, and stares at us. Yoonjin looks at me, eyes wide. As the students start talking and making a commotion, Yoonjin looks around at the students, and I can see a hint of fear in her eyes. She gives me one last look before she pushes her way through the crowd around us, running away.

I continue to stand here, in a trance. What did I just do? I was supposed to make things better for Yoonjin, not worse. What was I thinking telling her that I like her, and of all places here? I hear the students talking already.

Doesn’t she have a boyfriend? What a , she must be two timing. Two timing? She probably has more than two guys. I keep hearing more and more bad things being talked about, and it’s all my fault.

“Let’s get you out of here.” A familiar voice says, and I feel hands grab my shoulders. I look and it’s the guys. Bobby-hyung is beside me giving me reassuring grin, while Yoonhyung-hyung has his hands on my shoulders, pushing me to walk forward. In front of me are Donghyuk and Junhwe making way for us to walk. I let them lead me out of the school, until I can get a hold of myself. 

And I don’t, until Yoonhyung-hyung sets me down in one of the chairs in Bobby’s condo, which Bobby’s mom gave us as a present because she was getting tired of all the noise we were always making when we were over at their house.

“Hyung,” I say.

“Dude.” Bobby says, “You messed up big time.” 

 

==============

Kyaaaaa 101 subscribers?! T^T Really really...thank you guys so much for reading! *90 degree bow* I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter...I don't feel as good about it than the other chapters, but hopefully it was still ok?