CHAPTER 8

What You Do To Me

Aren't you guys surprised at how quickly I update this time? Hehe enjoy!! =D 
=============== 

Well one thing has definitely changed since that night when Hanbin came crashing into the manhwa café I work at. Hanbin has completely stopped with his teasing. To be clear, Hanbin has stopped talking to me in general, which is nice because since Hanbin confessed in front of everyone in the hallways, the bullying from the other students have been starting to get worse.  But I’ve been getting better at avoiding the other students as much as possible. Go to class, go to work, go home, study and then sleep. Sticking to the usual routine will get me through.

===

I can’t even face Yoonjin, let alone talk to her. Knowing that that is cheating on her just tears me apart. I can’t even remember his name.

The guys see that it’s tearing me apart too, and I can tell that they try to avoid certain conversations in front of me.

I’m wandering around the streets, trying to kill time before I have to go home, when I bump into someone.

“Sorry, my bad.” I say, not paying attention.

“Hey aren’t you the guy from the theatre who knew Yoonjin?”  I snap out of my daze.

“Oh, yeah. Yoonjin’s boyfriend right?”

“Sunghyun.” He said reaching out for a handshake.

“Hanbin.” I say, shaking his hand out of politeness. We are about to go our separate ways, when I decide to go for it. “Hey. I know what you’re doing behind Yoonjin’s back.”

“What?” he says confused, and it just makes my anger boil even more.

“I know you’re cheating on Yoonjin.” I say, and it doesn’t even faze him. “And you should tell her because you clearly don’t like her, so why are you stringing her along?”

“What’s it to you?” he asks, on the defense. “Do you like her?”

“I do, actually.” I say, without even hesitating.

“Well whatever happens between us is none of your business.” He says, as he steps into my personal space.

“It is my business when you’re ultimately hurting her.” I say, trying not to punch him in the face.

“What she doesn’t know won’t hurt her.” he says, smirking, before turning around and leaving. I clench my fists tight, resisting the urge to lose it.  But I think of Yoonjin and how she would’ve disliked it if I hit him. When my anger starts to simmer down, I call Jinhwan-hyung asking if he’s busy.

“I’m a little busy right now, but come over anyways.” He says, sensing something in my voice. I can always count on Jinhwan-hyung for advice or just someone to talk to. After hanging up, I head over to his place. When I ring the doorbell, I am greeted by Jinhwan’s mother, who gives me a warm hug and welcomes me in like she would to her son. The thought of my mom comes to me, and all of sudden I really miss her.

===

“Yoonjin, can you please deliver one of the small boxes of coffee beans to the other branch café? They’ve run out, and the new delivery doesn’t come in till tomorrow morning.” The manager says to me. “Yes, sir.” I say, and leave the café with the box in my hands. I got this job two weeks ago, and thankfully, the manager and other employees treat me very well.

“I’m here to deliver this.” I say to one the employees, when I arrive at the other café.

“Oh my gosh, thank you so much. You definitely saved us this shift.” He says, taking the box. “Wait right here, you need to sign something to ensure that you delivered this.” And he heads to the office in the back.

Standing by the counter, I look at the café, and it almost looks exactly the same as the one I work at. It almost feels weird.

I see a couple sitting at a table, talking and holding hands, and I smile at how happy the girl looks. A quick thought comes to my head, and I think about how the guy, whose back is towards me, is similar to Sunghyun-oppa.

“Here you are, sign here please” the employee hands me the sheet, and I sign it. He thanks me again, and I head out, back to the café I work at. I pass by the couple on my way out, and I hear the guy talk. Huh, he even sounds like Seunghyun-oppa, I think to myself. I turn around to take a look at the guy, out of curiosity, and my body freezes on the spot.

The guy is Sunghyun-oppa. Why is he here? Didn’t he say he’s always busy with studying? Even bigger question, who’s the girl?

“Su-Sunghyun oppa?” I say, not believing my eyes. Sunghyun looks up, and his eyes widen. No words come out of his mouth. The girl he is with turns around, and looks at me.

“Babe, who’s that?” she asks Sunghyun-oppa. I fully understand what’s going on, but my body just won’t react to it.

“Huh?” Sunghyun-oppa says, snapping out his trance. He smiles back at the girl. “Nobody. I have no idea who that is.” His words hit me like arrows.

The two of them continue their conversation, smiling at each other. My mind has gone blank, and my body goes into autopilot.  I push the door open, and a gush of wind hits my face. And at that moment, all the emotions hits me at once.

I’m walking back to the café, and tears just keep streaming down my face. All this time, I thought Sunghyun-oppa was the perfect guy. When did he start seeing someone else? Was it something I did wrong? The more I think about it, the more I cry. It’s getting more and more out of control, to the point where people are staring and I don’t even have the brain capacity to think about them.

When I get to the café, I try to take deep breaths to calm myself down. I quickly wipe my eyes and nose with my shirt, and walk in.

“I’m back.” I say, as I hand a copy of the signed sheet to my manager.

“Thank yo-“ my manager takes a look at me, and stops mid sentence. “Yoonjin, are you okay? Did something happen?”

“Yes, but I’m totally fine.” I manage to say in a cracking voice.

“You are definitely not okay right now. You were fine before you left, something bad must have happened” he says, “Do you want to take the rest of the night off?”

“No, no. I’m fine. I can keep working.” I plead, not wanting to seem incapable.

“It’s okay.” he says, patting my back. “Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble. Just take the rest of night off, and feel better. I know you’re worried about the pay, I won’t deduct anything from tonight’s shift.” He gives me a fatherly smile; I can feel tears prickling my eyes again.

“Thank you, sir.” I say, giving him a bow. “I’ll go get my stuff.” And I walk to the back offices, bawling. On my way out, I thank the manager again for his generosity.

“I have a daughter your age, so I understand.” He says, “It’s tough sometimes. Hang in there.” Hearing his words, I break into a full out sob. I miss my dad.

“Don’t cry, Yoonjin” he says, chuckling “You’re going to make me cry.”

“Sorry, I’ll stop.” I say, trying to regain composure.

“Now go on home. I hope you feel better soon.” I give the manager another bow, and I leave the café, heading home.

===

“Have you talked to Yoonjin-noona lately?” Donghyuk asks me, during lunch.

“No I haven’t, why?” I reply.

“Nothing.” He says, shaking his head “She just doesn’t seem herself lately.”

“I don’t know, I haven’t really noticed.” I say. But it’s a lie, I have noticed it too. I’ve been avoiding her, but I’ve seen her from afar. All day, she only looks down, whether it’s looking at her feet while she’s walking, or staring at her book during class. Even when teachers call on her, it takes a couple of calls before she realizes that someone is talking to her. And during breaks and lunch, she is nowhere to seen, most likely up on the roof by herself. I want to go see if she’s okay, but she thinks that no one knows she goes up there.

The lunch bell rings, and the five of us head to our own classes. As I pass by a group of girls in the hall, I hear a bit of their conversation.

“So after school today?” one girl says,

“Yeah, we’ll have to quick though. That b*tch leaves right after the bell rings, so it’ll be hard to get her.” says another girl. I continue walking, without stopping, but I can’t help to feel like I should keep a close eye on Yoonjin.

I have my things all packed up before the end of the class. The bell rings, and I’m about to follow Yoonjin out of the classroom, when the teacher calls my name, and asks me to stay for a second.

“Hanbin, I’ve been noticing your grades lately,” she starts, “And I just want to say that I’m proud of the improvement you’ve been making.”

“Thank you.” I say, wanting to just run out of the classroom.

“With the progress you’re making, I think you’ll be able to finish the year with above average marks.” I nod, looking at the door every few seconds.

When the teacher finishes, I give her a quick bow and run out of the classroom. Right outside the classroom are the guys waiting for me. I run right past them, and they follow me.

“What wrong?” Yunhyeong says, running beside me.

“Yoonjin.” Is all I can say. None of the guys say anything more, and continue to run behind me. I really hope that nothing bad has happened, and that it was just my paranoia. 

================

Duh-dummmm! Thank you again for reading! I'm gonna start chapter 9 right now, so it should be out soon!