Still the winner

Stupid Snoopy

The milk tea shop was located next to the entrance of the park. Amber thought that they would only buy one for each and then drink in the car. But when they reached the destination, Henry asked her to go out and buy drinks first while he parked.

“I’m full. Wanna have a walk”- Henry said.

Amber shrugged her shoulders, then stepped out. She wouldn’t say no to milk tea, and she wouldn’t refuse to spend more time with Henry, either. She made her way to the store and started to order for both of them. She knew his favorite flavor as clearly as hers. By the time Henry was back, Amber had already had two cups of milk tea at hands. She gave one to him and he smiled to thank. He didn’t need to ask which flavor she chose for him since he knew that it would definitely his favorite.

He led her into the park. It was quite late already. The park was quiet, so they wouldn’t need to be worry to avoid others’ curious look. The place was lit up just enough by some lamps. Amber enjoys it, she felt peaceful here. After a while, she suggested Henry to sit at one of the park benches nearby and he agreed.

Wind started to blow. Not strongly, but enough to make Amber tremble a bit in the cool air at night. She was grabbing more tightly around her cup in order to get some warmth from it when suddenly a jacket was wrapped around her shoulders. She turned her face to see Henry was fixing his jacket to prevent her from the wind. The older grinned when catching her glint.

“Much better?”

“What about you? The director of your drama will murder me if you get ill because of this”

“No way could I get ill because of some small wind, L.A girl. I’m from Canada, remember? It’s much colder there. I used to it. Don’t worry”- He beat his chest in an exaggerate way while boasting.

Amber laughed “You’re so dramatic, Canadian boy”, then smiled “But thanks, anyways”.

“My pleasure, Miss”- Henry bowed 90 degree, being his dorky self again and Amber hit his arm playfully.

All they did next for a few minutes was just sitting there silently and sipping their own drink. “There goes the silence again”- Amber thought. It seemed that she was not the only one who was thinking about the awkward situation since Henry started to hum some melody softly. The music echoed some seconds in the air before fading away.

“Did you come up with any new song back in China?”- Amber asked, praising quietly inside her head how he could create music so easily and naturally. It was like music has a natural connection with him since birth.

Henry blinked because of being suddenly pulled out of his own thought and finally got her question “Actually, yes. Do you want to listen?”

“I would love to”- Amber set her cup down and turned to his side excitedly. “Am I the first judge?”

“If you don’t count Noize Bank, so yeah, you are”. He winked and started to adjust his voice, ready to sing.

“This would be more awesome if we have a guitar here”- She suddenly said and realized that she had just interrupted him. “Oops, sorry. Please continue”.

But Henry simply gazed at her, as if he was considering something “You want a guitar?”, and stood up. “Stay here. I’ll be right back”

Amber hardly had time to react as he left already, heading towards the car park. She smiled and wrapped his jacket a little more tightly around her body. If it’s beyond his ability, Henry would always do anything Amber wants and he barely let her be disappointed. She felt safe even when she was alone. His scent lingered around her, his jacket kept her warm.

She jumped when hearing rush footsteps coming close, and turned to the direction immediately, just to see Henry rushing back. He panted when reaching her, mumbling something like sorry for how stupid he was to leave her alone in the dark. She just patted his back and waited until he was able to recover his breath, felling happy to be cared.

“You brought a violin along while hanging out? Like seriously? You are really something, Violin boy”- She said when finally noticing the instrument he was holding.

“I left a spare one in the car, in case I get any sudden inspiration”- Henry grinned and Amber rolled her eyes. He always made composing sound really easy as a piece of cake, while it wasn’t that simple at all.

“You don’t bring its bow”- she pointed out. “You were that hurried? How silly, I can survive myself in some minutes, you know”.

“You want to hear it with guitar, don’t you? That’s why I don’t take the bow”- Henry blinked in confusion.

“It’s the violin that you are holding”- Amber wondered whether his concern was too big that it was able to make a music prodigy become confused between his precious instruments.

Henry burst out laughing when he saw the worrying look on his best friend’s face. “Of course I know it!”, and ruffled her hair. “Just enjoy the show, OK?”- he winked.

And his delicate fingers started to strum over the strings, creating magical sounds. Amber was stunned for a moment, admiring his so called violin skills. She knew that he was capable of using a violin as a ukulele since he had performed on some shows, but this was the first time ever she had the chance to see it live. Unconsciously, she held her breath, closing her eyes and sinking into his mini show, which was dedicated only to her. Henry looked so peaceful and happy when singing and Amber loved that expression of his. It reminded her of what first brought them together: their mutual love for music. The melody flew over them and blended into the air, until he finally stopped, waiting for her comment. She opened her eyes and smiled with him.

“That’s really nice. I like it. Is it a sad song?”

“Yeah, it’s supposed to be. But I don’t know, I found it sound much better at home. I can’t really sing a sad song when you are around since you always make me merry”- Henry rubbed the back of his neck.

Amber’s eyes widened. Had he just confessed to her? But when she gave a gaze to the awkward boy besides, she knew that was just one of his unaware admission. “Oh clueless boy”- she tried to hide a smirk.

Henry was now staring intensely at the violin in his hands. Feeling the silence was threatening to cover them again, Amber couldn’t take it any longer::

“Spill it, Henry”

“W-What…?”- His head snapped up, an eyebrow raising.

“What have been bothering you all night?”- Amber studied his expression carefully.

Henry blushed a little, trying to avoid their eye contact “No…, nothing…”

“Don’t even think of deceiving me”- She threw him a glare.

“I…”- The musician weakly protested when her phone sudden rang.

-----

Gen and Neil had forced Isaac to call Amber in order to check out the process between their two friends. Isaac sighed as if he was feeling unpleasant, mumbling: “Stupid Snoopy, you annoy me so much”, but deep inside, he gladly take the mission. His finger scrolled down the list until reaching the llama’s number. He pressed “Call” button and grinned when hearing her ring tone “1-4-3”.

“Hey, dude”- He heard Amber’s voice from the other end.

“Hey, llama. Long time no see. What’re you doing?”- He asked, even though he knew clearly the answer.

“Hmm? I’m hanging out with Snoopy”- and that’s what Isaac expected. “Our silly boy is strange tonight, I’m telling you. I have never seen him thinking this much in the whole 7 years”.

Isaac held in a sigh. That meant Henry still didn’t make any more move yet. Alright, it was Isaac’s task to add some more impact.

“Am, do you have free time this week?”

---

Henry observed Amber who was on the phone.

“This week? Yes, I am free on Friday. What’s for, Isaac?”

He jumped at the mentioned of his friend, eyes wide.

“Go for a movie? I see no reason to refuse as long as you pay”- the girl laughed. “OK, deal. Bye”

Amber shoved her phone into the jeans pocket and looked up, gasping in surprise when realizing that Henry’s face was so near.

“What’s now, Snoopy?”- She pushed him back lightly.

“It’s Isaac!”- It was all his response. Not a question but a claim.

“You’re becoming more and more ridiculous tonight. What an intense reaction to your OWN friend”- Amber rolled her eyes, but then stopped as the revelation sank in. “Or they are the things that have been bothering you?”

Her suspicion was confirmed by the way Henry messing his hair nervously.

“Care to tell me why?”

He sighed and finally told her the whole conversation he had with his Berklee friends that afternoon. Amber was surprised to eventually know his matter. She frowned. Those guys like her? That’s impossible, at least impossible considering in the romantic way. She was quite sure that they were some of the biggest Henber shippers, perhaps only after her band-mate Luna.

But then it came to her realization, and she smirked as she could see through all the hidden purposes under the conversation. His Berklee friends must be in the same boat with her label-mates. Amber was happy to know they all cared for them. The only problem now was, unfortunately, the leading character, a silly Snoopy who was sitting right next to her. She decided to a bit more.

“Wow. I honestly never expect this”.

“Do you like them?”- Nervousness filled in his question.

“Of course I do. They are your close friends after all”.

The poor boy totally missed her hint again, instead he turned his face away and shifted uncomfortably. “Is that so? OK… I get it”

Amber was kinda amused now. “But why do you want to go spying on us if we really have a date?”

“I… I don’t know… I just feel uncomfortable about it”- he looked into her eyes. “I guess I am being too selfish. I shouldn’t keep you for myself like this”

Amber cracked a smile at the clueless boy. He was always so straightforward and totally didn’t know how to lie. And that was how he often let out his honest thoughts which he didn’t even realize himself. She wondered why a boy can manage all skills related to music ranging from singing, dancing, rapping, playing instruments to composing yet still be so dense at the same time. Perhaps he had used all of his brain cells for music, she chuckled at the conclusion. She had made her decision already. Being an American girl, she was definitely not an old-fashioned girl who thought that boys must always take the lead and confess in a relationship. It was only her aggressiveness that kept her silent about her feelings. She didn’t want to be considered the one to fall for him first. But now Amber knew that it was no longer important. Stepping out of their safe friend zone first, she was still the winner. Plus, the boy was so adorable- a cute idiot as Kyuhyun had said once, and had touched her heart so many times.

“I like you being selfish like that”

Henry tilted his head up, right in time for her lips to touch his. Her hands grabbed the front of his hoodie to tug him down. He sat there in shock. But in a pleasant way. Her lips were so soft, sweet and warm, and they fit perfectly against his. No sooner had he closed his eyes, ready to response the kiss than she pulled away.

It was just a quick kiss, but those short moments felt like eternity to him. And he finally fully comprehended the fact about his long-time-already-hidden-feelings-for-his-best-friend. Never had he been more conscious of the wave of emotion that is threatening to explode in his chest. His heart was running wild, about miles per minute. And it didn’t help that when he cocked his head up again, searching for her gaze, he found hers immediately as her eyes were still boring into his face since they parted. She was smiling, her eyes sparkling in happiness, minored his own. Henry awkwardly cleared his throat and she chuckled.

“You really are a Stupid Snoopy, Henry”

There were no more any hidings between them. Henry found himself snaking his arms around her waist after carefully putting the violin aside and pulling her closer. She let him. Henry looked deep into her brown eyes and grinned mischievously.

“Am I adorable? I thought I am your Sweet Snoopy?”

“Adorable? Gain back your Mochi cheeks and I will reconsider it”- Amber pinched his cheek. “But for Sweet Snoopy, I guess, yes”.

With this line, she wrapped her arms around his neck and he bent down, capturing her lips again in a longing kiss.

“I love you”.

-----

Author's note: I know it is ridiculous to have a chaptered-fic with the story line happening only from the afternoon to the night in the same day @_@ But it's because this was supposed to be a one-shot at first, but it kept lengthening when I started writing :")

Anw, it's my first fic here, and my first completed one ever, so hope you all enjoy it ^^