Awkward night

Stupid Snoopy

Amber couldn’t help but let a matching smile spread over her face. That’s Henry’s affection on her. She found everything worth smiling more when being around him. Perhaps it because Henry had to learn how to think positive all the time and see good points in anything to keep himself strong during those harsh days back then, she guessed.

He was still smiling, showing off his adorable dimple. He made some more honking, signaling for her to come in the car. Amber observed the situation again. Hen was in his casual clothes: hoodie and jeans, no ridiculously solemn suit, and he didn’t seem to bring anything unusually like a huge bouquet of rose or something as horrible, and he didn’t bother to go out and open the door for her also- all the actions that she was quite sure he would do if he intended to make a confession. OK, that meant today was just another friend’s hanging out, she concluded, not being sure whether she was feeling relieved or disappointed, and made her way to the car.

“Hey, Snoopy”- She greeted cheerfully once she settled in the front side seat.

“Hey, there, Miss. Stitch”- He stretched an arm to ruffle her hair. “It’s been a long time. Do you miss me?”

“Dream on, Snoopy”- She laughed. “You should be the one”

“Uhm, yeah? I admit it”- Henry grinned as he helped her buckle the seat belt.

Amber paused at his words. “OK, maybe, me too. A little” and watched  Henry’s expression lighting up a new level of brightness.

“That’s it! I was about to send you out of the car and cancel our hanging out. It’s no need spending time with one who doesn’t care about me”- Henry said dramatically.

“And that’s exactly why I said so. I don’t want to miss the chance being in Siwon oppa’s car”- Amber stuck her tongue at him.

“Oh. You know this is his car?”- Henry started the engine and drove off.

“Of course. There is nothing that Awesome Amber does not know. And Siwon oppa showed it to me once before”.

Henry observed Amber through the mirror and said quietly “I’ve never known that you are close to Siwon hyung, too. You are seriously a ball of friendliness”.

Amber blinked confusedly at Henry’s sudden comment and change in his attitude. Isn’t “friendly” a good point? “Uhm… Not really. I just met him in the garage by chance… So, why are you driving it?”

“I borrowed him some time ago but didn’t have time to give it back yet”

“Liar! You must keep it on purpose!”- She made a face at him.

It seemed to bring the normal Henry back successfully. He grinned “You caught me. He has several cars though. I just dare to borrow the cheapest one”.

After some more chat, they were wrapped by silence. Of course they were not always noisy and talkative but even if they keep quiet, it should still be a comfortable atmosphere. Yet Amber didn’t know why she felt different today. Maybe because the silence came so fast, despite Henry being away filming for quite a long time. Normally, he would have tons of things to tell her in English, in a happy way, which she really liked.

Being unable to stay in awkward silence any longer, Amber decided to break the ice: “Hey, let’s start the music!”

Henry knew that she was trying to comfort the situation and he appreciated that. His mind was still stuck around Noize Bank’s confession that made it hard to focus on their conversation. So he smiled: “That’s a good idea”.

His CD was still in the player, as expected and Amber threw him a teasing look when “Trap” started playing. Henry beamed widely as he saw Amber singing along with his song. She really knew the lyric by heart, and somehow he felt kind proud of that. Music helped him relax and he began to sing as well. Their voice continued to harmonize together like that until the next song “1-4-3”. This was the original with Henry’s rap part, since their duet version was in the repacked digital single only. But when it came to that part, Amber jokingly lowed down the volume and rapped her part instead:

“I can’t express my heart, it’s like an endless silent film
How, who, what, when or where, the drama keeps repeating
We don’t speak but we trust in each other’s signs
Cause your 1-4-3 is my 4-8-6, saying I love you, are you gonna love me?”

It had become her habit to lock her eyes on his face at the last line and this time was no exception “Saying I love you, are you gonna love me?”. She didn’t expect him to react but when she looked up, her heart skipped a beat since she found his eyes were looking straight at hers. They remained so in a split second before Henry turned back to face the way. Amber blushed. Heat filled up her cheeks while she tried to calm down her heart. She didn’t have enough courage to observe the boy’s expression or else she would see his new-formed-pink-ears.

The incident threw them back into silence again. And Amber noticed that this was the first time they hung out together, just the two of them, after the 1-4-3 promotion, which meant also the first time after she realized her own feelings. This was so awkward, Amber thought, before letting herself sinking into her own thought. So did Henry as he paid attention on driving and stayed mute.

10 minutes passed and this time Henry managed to sweep the uncomfortable atmosphere away: “Hey, you didn’t even ask where we are going. Are you not afraid that I will kidnap you?”

“Oh, please. With your ability? I don’t find the slightest threat”- Amber laughed, which made Henry unwind a little bit. “But anyway, where are we going? I’m starving, you’d better treat me something good”- She rubbed her stomach.

“And why am I treating?”- Henry pouted.

“You’re not gallant at all, Snoopy”- Amber rolled her eyes.

“Being a man brings no good in such case. Oh right, I will treat you tonight. And here we are”- he stopped the car.

Amber’s eyes were sparkle at the sight of their favorite Mexican restaurant. And Henry was happy to see that. Food, was always one of their biggest common things.

They entered the restaurant with Henry wrapping one arm around Amber’s shoulder casually. Amber enjoyed her meal blissfully but then she noticed something. Henry never said no to food, except for spicy one. But now he didn’t seem to be as glad as usual. And he didn’t talk much, too, like when he was driving.

“Are they mistaken to serve you spicy food?”- Amber questioned carefully.

“Hmm? No, it’s delicious”- he tilted his head up, eyes slightly windening.

“So why are you eating so little today?”

“Oh, that… I am just… uhm… being parsimonious, saving bite by bite”

Amber frown. That sounded NOT Henry-like AT ALL. Henry she knew NEVER did that, he preferred a big bite at once. So she distracted herself from her dish a bit to observe her best friend. Henry caught her look and started to try to act as normal, because he didn’t want her to worry. But sometimes, she spaced out and Amber didn’t let it pass. “There must be something bothering him”- she stated in her mind, yet  she didn’t ask or say anything however much she wanted to know. “It’s his right to keep secret”, she sighed.

After the meal, they head back to the car and Amber caught Henry spacing once again. She waved her hand in front of him and made him jump in surprise. “W-What!!?”- he yelled.

“You are strange tonight, Hen. Are you tired? If you, go straight home. I know you have to be back to China for filming tomorrow. You’d better rest well”- Amber patted his shoulder.

“N… No”- Henry murmured. “I’m OK”. And to prevent her from asking anything again, he suggested “I want to drink milk tea. Let’s have a cup before going back”.

He knew Amber would never reject her favorite drink, and he was right again this time. “A cup will bring no harm. Plus it can make him more comfortable to let out what’s bothering”- she reasoned with herself while letting the Canadian boy drag her away. She didn’t want to say goodbye to him yet, either, and that was another reason.

--------

Author's note: OK, only one chapter left and that Stupid Snoopy still didnt move even an inch -_-
Please keep a little more patient with the guy :))