Fifteen

What Lurks

 

The training sessions become a regular thing almost weekly, and Jongin is slowly introduced to each member of the pack that attend, even if this is the only time he gets to see them. The short haired girl is called Elizabeth, but hates the name and implores that she just be called Beth. The tall guy is called Canlie, and he hasn't spoken to him much. Everyone else is nice to him however, even if it's slightly forced, like they're only being polite because of his ties to Kyungsoo.

Beth tells him laughingly that Kyungsoo performs better when Jongin's around, and she thinks it's because he's trying to show off for him, because he doesn't want to look weak in front of his mate. She has a good laugh at his expense every time Kyungsoo makes the mistake of leaving them alone together, and the both of them take delight in making fun of him, but Jongin always apologises later, kissing him and telling him he didn’t mean it. Most of it. Some of it.

Jongin's at his fifth training session as a spectator, when Kyungsoo's mum comes running outside waving a phone, face frantic,

“Their attacking the west side! Leanne doesn't know how long she'll be able to hold them back without help!” the reaction is immediate: all of them spring into action in well-rehearsed formations he’s seen before a few times, and most of them are out of the garden within minutes. Only a few remain behind, and Jongin is left confused and worried as Kyungsoo is one of the ones who left. He doesn’t know what to do now.

“What's going on?” he asks shakily, “are they going to fight?” no one answers, because they're all in wolf form and Kyungsoo's mum has gone back inside, presumably to monitor things. Jongin surveys who has been left behind, and notes that one of them is Canlie. .

He looks down, to be respectful like he's been taught. Kyungsoo told him that the reason Canlie is so aggressive is because he has a shot at being the next alpha if he can beat Kyungsoo. And his fighting is getting better and better so it's hard for Kyungsoo to fight him off.

He avoids meeting the eyes of any of the wolves in the vicinity, as none of them are ones he knows. But when he hears a familiar sickening crack, like a bone breaking but louder and wetter, he looks up quickly to see who has changed. It's Canlie and he's coming straight for him, not caring in the slightest that he has no clothes on. Jongin recoils into the cushion of the swingseat with every step closer.

He really doesn't want to have whatever conversation he's going to start, simply because of who it is-

“We're here to protect you. But all of us would rather be helping keep the enemy off our land, so I have a proposition: if we take you to where they are we can do both jobs at once,” Jongin doesn't think he has much of a choice. He would rather stay here, where it's safer, but Canlie seems dead set on this plan,

“And how do you propose to do that?” he replies, as scathingly as he can manage without insulting him too much.

“Ride me,” Jonigin recoils, the idea of even touching this person is unappealing,

“Uh, no?”

“Will, then. Ride Will,” He has no such aversion to William however, but he still does not want to go with them. What could possibly be so good about fighting? Jongin doesn't get it, is it the glory? That sounds ridiculous, but maybe he’s just a coward. Or maybe he actually has common sense.

“Are you that desperate?” he asks, eyebrows raised in incredulity but the answer is obviously and unashamedly yes,

“Do I need to help you up?”

“No, I'm not going,” Canlie nods and squints at him like he's considering something, then reaches out to pick him up under his armpits like a child and although Jongin struggles fiercely, he's no match for Canlie's strength. He's easily lifted off his chair, and placed on top of presumably Will's back. He hadn't noticed him sneak up beside them.

He clings onto Will's fur as he starts to move, and screams wildly as he leaps over the fence. He lands with a judder and Jongin’s surprised he hasn’t bitten his own tongue off. He pushes of again immediately, the building's flying by at this speed, and how can nobody see them? This is crazy, but he can't get down, without killing himself. It would be like jumping out of a moving car.

“Please! Please stop!” but he doesn't let up, if anything he goes faster claws scratching the pavement. He's pretty sure he's crying, horizontal tear tracks staining his face by the time he stops-he's never been good with rollercoasters and this was worse than a rollercoaster because it seemed like a never ending carousel, the lurching up-and-down motion making him sick. He can’t even see anymore, eye screwed up tight.

When they finally slow down, he gets down shakily, and is close to throwing up, clutching at some fur he's pulled from William's coat.

“No,” don't leave me alone. He shivers on the ground, and they leave in the same direction- all three of them perfectly synchronised. He curls up into a ball and gags, clutching his head until the spinning stops. He looks up, peeking through his fingers into the murky light of the night. They've dumped him on the edge of a woodland area, virtually unable to walk. He tries to get up, using tree branches for support.

He takes one unstable stride towards the distant sound of fighting, to where Kyungsoo must be, but his legs aren’t holding him up properly. But Kyungsoo will be able to help him, he's sure.

He takes another step, and another and discovers he can walk, as long as he uses the tree for balance despite feeling dizzy from the journey. How far have they travelled? It could only have been ten minutes or so, and Jongin has no idea how fast the can go. He has no idea where he is. He’s breathing out puffs of steam, it’s so cold.

The trees begin to thin out a little bit, and through them he can see movement which means he's getting closer, right? That's a good thing, isn't it? A stick snaps under his feet, unbalancing him enough that he nearly falls, and twists his ankle. He hisses in pain, and hops as close as he can to the battle field. Why does all of this have to happen to him? Worst night ever.

He crouches beside one of the larger tree, clutching his hurt ankle and anxiously searches for Kyungsoo and/or Blaidd. He spots him on the far side of the clearing, and he seems to be holding his own, against two other wolves. He smiles, but can't hold it for long. He still feels sick and terrified that one of these wolves is going to smell him. He probably reeks of fear and human combined with wolf, which makes him a huge target.

Shuddering, he hunkers down and waits, having absolutely no idea how long a fight like this could go on for. He hates Canlie. Why couldn't he just leave him behind with Kyungsoo’s mum? He's never hated someone before, never had the reason to. He knows he's going to resent this, remember it every time he sees him. He ducks his head down, and breathes deeply and slowly, hoping to calm his roiling stomach.

Once he's pretty sure he can keep his dinner down, he relaxes his posture slightly against the tree behind him. The fighting is both boring and edge-of-the-seat exciting. Jongin doesn't know how that works, but it just does.

One of the wolves near to him falls-he's pretty sure he's one of the ones on their side, and yelps, panicking momentarily for them.

Momentarily because the moment he hits the ground, the enemy is leaping over him, and heading straight for him.

The incoming canine is huge, black, and has horrifying yellow eyes that bear down on him like a separate entity, and it's so quick his reflexes are no match for it. Its’ hackles raised, it sprints towards him, and the most he can do to protect himself is put his arms up to cover his face and scream as loud as he possibly can.

The pain is immediate and excruciating; the wolf has bitten his hand, he can feel the teeth scraping against bone, and there's already blood everywhere, saturating his clothes. But how can he concentrate on that, even register that, with the pain?

He screams again, flailing to get away from the cause of it, but the thrashing just makes the tearing worse, skin tearing like paper under its blade-like teeth . The wolf lets go only to bite again, and again, going further up his arm. His arm isn't on fire: that would be a blessing. This feels like-

He blacks out.

--

im sorry aah

please comment but dont murder me im not ready for that (/。\)