CHAPTER 4.- TUTOR

INVITATION TO DISASTER

The seats of our favorite table lunch were filled with familiar faces. Dae Hyung was sitting on one side of me, Dara Noona in the other and the rest of the spaces were picked by Seung Hyung and his Sigma Tau friends. It was hard to hear something with the noises and loud voices that full the Cafeteria.

-Hey, Youngbae- Seunghyun said greeting the man in front of me. It was difficult for me to recognize the Mohawk man out of The Cage, but Hyung told me that Youngbae Is the Football Team´s Captain too. The Cage was just for money and funny.

-Missed you after the game Hyung, we won 2-1. At the end I drank four or six beers in your honor- He grinned.

-I´m sorry man; I took Daesungie out for dinner-He kissed Daesung´s head.

- You are sitting in my seat Bae-

Youngbae turned to see Ji Yong standing behind him, and then looked to me, surprised. -Oh, is he one of your fan boys, Ji Yong?-

-Absolutely not! Please Hyung I´m not like them- I shook my head with annoyance.

Youngbae looked to Ji Yong, who stared at him expectantly, in the end he moved to an empty seat at the end of the table.

Ji Yong gave me a triumphant smile and he settled into the seat- What´ up Panda? Why are you burying your face in that book?-

I didn’t miss the appraising eyes of those sitting at the table. Ji Yong´s behavior piqued their curiosity, and I subdued a smile at being the only person they had seen him insist on sitting by. –Ugh..English test and I - I grumbled

-That English test is after the lunch- Daesung said with a worried face

-Did you study?

-Are you kidding? I spent all night trying to convince Seunghyun, that you aren´t going to sleep with Ji Yong- I rolled my eyes. Suddenly all the students sitting in the table stopped their jokes and put all their attention in our conversation. I was impressed any little gossip related with Ji Yong was a big new.

-Please, Hyung. You’ve got it that bad, huh? - Ji Yong asked, throwing a packet of ketchup at his cousin. Seunghyun didn’t answer, but I smiled appreciatively at Ji Yong for the diversion.

Daesung rubbed Seunghyun´s back. -He’s going to be okay. It’s just going to take him awhile to believe Seungri is resistant to your charms.-

-I haven’t tried to charm her, Panda please defend me! – Ji Yong sniffed, seeming offended. -He’s my friend-

I looked to Seunghyun. -I told you Hyung. You have nothing to worry about, because I have an invisible shield against the Dragon power.-I put my cutest smile and Seunghyun finally met my eyes, and upon seeing my sincere expression, his eyes brightened a bit, he was trying to believe in my words.

Did you study for you test? –Ji Yong asked me.

I frowned -Believe me, even traveling to United States could pass the test, I really -

Ji Yong stood up –Come with me-

-What?-

-Follow me and bring your notes with you, we have one hour until the test. I´m going to help you to study-

-But Ji Yong….-

-Get your up, Panda. You’re going to pass that test.-

I touched Dae´s shoulder as I passed. -See you in class, Hyung-

He smiled. -I’ll save you a seat. I’ll need all the help I can get.-

Ji Yong followed me to my room, and I pulled out my study guide while he popped open my book. He quizzed me relentlessly, and then clarified a few things I didn’t understand. In the way that he explained it, the concepts went from being confusing to obvious.

He smacked the top of my head with the papers. -You got this. You know this study guide backwards and forwards.-

I sighed. -Well I have to admit that I have a great tutor…we’ll see.-

It´s almost time so; I’m going to walk you to class. I’ll quiz you on the way.-

I locked the door behind us. “You’re not going to be mad if I fail this test, right?”

-You’re not going to fail, Panda. The next time you have to trust in my words, I told you that you could ask me for help in any subject. We need to start earlier for the next one, though, - he said, keeping in-step with me to the language building.

-I didn´t want to bother you. How are you going to tutor me, do your homework, study and train for your fights?”

Ji Yong chuckled. -I don’t train for my fights. Youngbae calls me, tells me where the fight is, and I go.-

I shook my head in disbelief as he held the paper in front of him to ask the first question. We nearly finished a second round of the study guide when we reached my class.

-Kick that English test - he smiled, handing me the notes and leaning against the door jamb.

-Hey, Ji Yong- I turned to see a tall, mainly and handsome man smile at Ji Yong on his way into the classroom.

-Siwon Hyung, - Ji Yong waved with his hand not looking very happy

Siwon’s eyes brightened a bit when he looked to me, and he smiled. -Hi, Seungri-

-Hi- I said, surprised that he knew my name. I had seen him in class, but we’d never met.

Siwon continued to his seat, joking with those sitting beside him. -Who’s that?- Ji Yong shrugged, but the skin around his eyes seemed tenser than before.

-Choi Siwon. He’s one of my Sig Tau brothers.-

-You’re in a frat too? I thought only Seung Hyung was part of one - I asked, doubtful.

-I´m in Sigma Tau too. I thought you knew that- he said, looking beyond me to Siwon.

-Well…you don’t seem the…fraternity type-

Ji Yong turned his attention to me and grinned. -My dad was a student here, and my brothers are all Sig Tau’s…it’s a family thing.-

-And they expected you to pledge? - I asked, skeptical.

-Not really. They’re just good guys, - he said, flicking my papers. -Better get to class.-

-Thanks for helping me- I said, nudging him with my elbow. Daesung passed, and I followed him to our seats.

-How did it go? - He asked.

I shrugged. -He’s a good tutor and an excellent friend.-

We stopped to talk when the teacher entered to the classroom and started with the test. I saw the first page and thank Ji Yong in my mind; Seung Hyung had reason he´s a ing genius. I was one of the first that finished the test and then waited for my Hyung in the hallway.

-That was awful- He cried

-The next time you have to study with us, Ji Yong is a great tutor, he´s better that the teacher-

-You were not help at all!-Daesung groaned and leaned his head on my shoulder – Couldn´t your give some signal? - I hooked my arm around his neck and walked him to our dorm.

The next week, Ji Yong tutored me in English, and we used to do the history´s homework together because that was the only class that we shared. Ji Yong was walking me to the language building to see the grades. We stood together scanning the grade board outside Professor Campbell’s office. My student number was three spots from the top.

-You are the third highest grade in class, Great Panda! -  He said, squeezing me. His eyes were bright with excitement and pride, and an awkward feeling made me to take a step back.

-Thanks Ji Yong, without your help I would´ve never achieved this grade- I said, pulling on his T-shirt.

-Fifty and fifty, do you agree? - I nodded and he tossed me over his shoulder, making his way to the classroom- C´mon make away people. This boy´s brain needs rest, because he´s a genius!-

I giggled at the amused and curious expressions of my classmates. As the days went by, we fielded the persistent rumors about a relationship. Ji Yong’s reputation helped to quiet the gossip. He had never been known to stay with one girl or boy longer than a night, so the more times we were seen together, the more people understood our platonic relationship for what it was.

Even with the constant questions of our involvement, the stream of attention Ji Yong received from his co-eds didn’t recede. He continued to sit next to me in History, and eat with me at lunch. It didn’t take long to realize I had been wrong about him, even finding myself defensive towards those that didn’t know Ji Yong the way that I did.

-You don’t have to walk me to every class, Ji Yong. I know how to get there on my own. - Ji Yong was easily distracted by Kiko Mizuhara, she walked towards him and smile.  He followed her with his eyes and nodded throwing down his cigarette.

-I’ll catch up with you later, Panda-

-Yeah- I said, rolling my eyes as he jogged to the Kiko’s side.

Ji Yong’s seat remained empty during class, and I found myself a bit mad with him for missing a class over a girl. Professor Cho finished the class early, and I hurried across the lawn, aware that I was to meet Dara noona at three to lend her my laptop.

-Seungri?-

Siwon jogged across the grass to walk beside me. -I don’t think we’ve officially met- he said, holding out his hand. -Choi Siwon, nice to meet you-

I took his hand and smiled. -Lee Seunghyun but my friends call me Seungri-

-I was behind you when you got your English test grade. Congratulations- he smiled, shoving his hands in his pockets.

-Thanks. Ji Yong helped me lot, or I would’ve been at the bottom of that list, trust me.-

-Oh, are you guys….-

-We are Friends- I answer rapidly.

Siwon nodded and smiled. -Did he tell you there’s a party at Sig Tau´s House this weekend?-

-We mostly just talk about English and food-

Siwon laughed. -That sounds like Ji Yong- Standing at the door of the design building; Siwon scanned my face with his black eyes. -You should come. It’ll be fun.-

-I can´t promise nothing, first I have to talk with Daesung Hyung, but I don’t think we have any plans-

-Great. I’ll see you there- he said. He flashed his perfect, G-Market-model smile with his square jaw and naturally white skin, turning to walk across campus. I watched him walk away; he was tall, clean shaven, with a pressed pin-striped dress shirt and jeans. I bit my lower lip, flattered by his invitation.

-Now he’s more your kind of guy- Dara said in my ear.

-When do you come noona? - She shrugged -He’s handsome, right? - I asked, unable to stop smiling.

-But, what happen with all the handsome boys in the earth, are all gays? – She said meanwhile made dramatic gestures with her hands- Hell you are a lucky boy Seungri first Ji Yong and now that perfect swimsuit model, he’s handsome, in top of me, of course-

-Noona! - I cried, smacking her on the shoulder.