CHAPTER 3. - DATE?

INVITATION TO DISASTER

My school day finished earlier because Mr. Yang was sick, so I decided to go to my dorm and take a nap. Meanwhile was walking out of the classroom I saw Ji Yong standing near to my classroom and he was talking very happy with a girl that I recognized like Kiko  Mizuhara a transfer student from Japan and one of his “Fan Girls”, I keep walking my way since I decided that Ji Yong wasn´t “My business”. I haven´t talked with him since the day that I went to his apartment so I thought that after all he lost the interest on me and I was happy for that.

-Panda wait!-I heard someone screaming and suddenly a hand took my wrist I turned around and I saw him- Panda, why are you hiding from me? - I raised an eyebrow and he smiled.

- I´m not hiding from you, by the way what do you need?-

- So cold Panda, you need be more polite I´m your Hyung, do you know it, right? - I rolled my eyes I had forgotten that little detail because this boy really pissed me off- Now you have to do something to fix your mistake-

I was about to say something when suddenly he took my arm and pulled me through all the hallway, I was so embarrassed because all the students were watching us with amazement- Hey stop it, what are you doing and where are we going?- I said when I can react and took off my arm from his grip.

Ji Yong stood up - I was just taking you out to lunch. Are you hungry Panda?-

-I´m not hungry I ate a sandwich before my last class-I shrugged.

 

-C’mon you don´t have any class, do you prefer go to you dorm and locked there? I doubt a little but I know Ji Yong was stubborn, he wouldn´t accept a negative for answer. I sighed- Where are you going?-

 

I could see how a shy smile had been drawn on his face-Wherever you want. There is a new Pizza restaurant near of the campus. What do you think?-

 

It´s ok Hyung-he widened his eyes with amazement and stared at me- What? I have something in my face-I asked with concern.

 

-Jajajaja, No is just that you call me Hyung I think that is a beginning- He smirked

 

We keep walking and stopped in the parking lot. I was watching in a horror how Ji Yong walked toward a black Motorcycle. He shot me an impatient glare- Oh c´mon. I’ll go slowly-

 

 -W…what is that? - I asked with horror in my face.

 

-My Little Panda, this is a Harley Davidson. She’s my baby and the love of my life, so don’t damaged it when you get on- he said meanwhile hugged his “Baby”.

 

-No way, I’m wearing my converse! - I felt stupid with my lack excuse but I had never ridden a motorcycle, so YES I was scared.

 

Ji Yong stared at me as if I’d spoken a foreign language. –And I’m wearing boots. Get

On-

 

He put on his sunglasses, and the engine snarled when he brought it to life. I climbed on and with hesitation I started to look for something to grab on to, but my fingers slipped, There isn´t nothing to grab.

.

I wanted to get out when Ji Yong grabbed my wrists and wrapped them around his waist. - There’s nothing to hold on Panda just me, so please hug me tight and don´t let me go, Ok? - He said, pushing the bike backward with his feet. With a flick of his wrist, he pulled onto the street, and took off like a rocket. The pieces of my hair that hung loose beat against my face, I have to accept that the feeling is really good like Freedom.

.

He parked his motorcycle near to the restaurant and I wasted no time to get out far away from that devil machine. I felt so relieved when I could feel the security of the concrete under my feet –Are you crazy…Do you want to kill us? - I said still remember how Ji Yong rebased two trucks without precaution.

 

Ji Yong chuckled, leaning his bike onto its kickstand before dismounting- You are overreacting I went to the speed limit-

 

-Of course that is speed limit if we were in Moto GP, NASCAR, F1 or something like that!-I said meanwhile I was walking to the restaurant entrance.

 

Ji Yong was faster than me and he was holding the door open for me- I wouldn´t let anything happen to you Panda, I never forgive myself if you get hurt or something-

 

I stopped for a moment and I stared him then I past him into the restaurant, my head and my eyes couldn´t be quiet because I was scanning the place. I followed him across the red, breadcrumb-speckled carpet. He chose a table in the corner, away from the patches of students of Seoul University and families, and then ordered two beers.

 

-Sure, Ji Yong- The waitress said, writing down our drink orders. She looked a bit nervous and I saw a blush in his cheeks amazed for “The Dragon´s presence” and then she turned to the kitchen.

 

Do you come here often? You said me that this was a new restaurant- I asked a little anxious I was starting to feel a little awkward because I felt a lot of eyes pointing at me. How I said I don´t like people´s attention.

 

Ji Yong didn´t look affected for the stares of the students, then leaned on the table with his elbows, his brown and penetrating eyes fixated on mine-So what’s your story, Panda? Are you a man-hater in general, or do you just hate me?-

 

I almost drowned with the beer with his question, what the hell, was he asking me about my preferences?-I think my preferences isn´t your business but I´m going to answer you, first yes I’m gay and that left us just an answer for your other question I think It´s just you the person I hate you- I grumbled.

 

He laughed once, amused at my mood. -I can’t figure understand you. You’re the first person that’s ever been disgusted with me before . You don’t get all flustered when you talk to me, and you don’t try to get my attention-

 

-It’s not a pose Hyung and I’m not trying to act cool and different in front of you to gain your attention, I just don’t like you-

 

-You wouldn’t be here if you didn’t like me- he said meanwhile was playing with his beer.

 

My frown involuntarily smoothed and I sighed- I don´t think you are a bad person Hyung, well I can´t judge you because I don´t know you very well. Is just that I don´t like to be the mouse in your game and don´t like when people take me lightly- I focused on the grains of salt on the table until I heard a choking noise from Ji Yong´s  direction.

 

His eyes widened and he quivered with howling laughter -Oh my God! You’re killing me! That’s it. We have to be friends you have to be my dongsaeng. I won’t take no for an answer-

 

-I don’t mind being friends, but that doesn’t mean you have to try to get in my pants every five seconds-

 

-You aren´t sleeping with me I think I get that point. In the other hand you must know that in Tom and Jerry the cat always lost-I tried not to smile, but failed.

 

His eyes brightened- A smile well that is a great step- He put his right hand in his chest and raised his left hand- Little Panda I solemnly swear that I won’t even think about your pants…unless you want me to.”

I couldn´t help and I started to laugh for his childish comment when I was calm I rested my elbows on the table and leaned into them -And that won’t happen, so we can be friends-

 

An impish grin sharpened his features as he leaned in a bit closer.-Never say Never- who is he? Justin Bieber? I thought.

 

-So what’s your story? - I asked-Have you always been “G-Dragon” Kwon, or is that just since you came here?” I used two fingers on each hand as quotation marks when I said his nickname, and for the first time his confidence waned. He looked a bit embarrassed.

 

-No. YoungBae started that after my first fight-

 

His short answers were beginning to bug me-That’s all? You’re not going to tell me anything about yourself?-

 

-What do you want to know?”

 

-The normal stuff. Where are you from? What do you want to be when you grow Up? Your hobbies, dreams and hopes…things like that-I said with confidence.

 

-I’m from here, born and raised, I’m studying law, my hobbies are motorcycles and fights but sometimes I like to write wherever thing that come to my mind about my dreams and hopes I think that right now I´m working in that and I´m confident that am going to achieve it- With a sigh, he took a piece of pizza and ate it. He looked over his shoulder, and I noticed his jaw tensing a bit at those around us. Two tables seating some students from our University erupted in laughter, and Ji Yong seemed to be annoyed at what they were laughing about.

 

-Are you kidding me right? - I said in disbelief.

 

-No, I’m a local- he said, distracted.

 

-I meant about your career. You don’t look like a lawyer type-

 

His eyebrows pulled together, suddenly focused on our conversation. -Why?-

 

I scanned the tattoos covering his arm. –Don´t be mad I’ll just say that you seem more criminal and less justice-

 

-I don’t get in any trouble…for the most part. Dad was pretty strict.-

 

-Where was your mom?-

 

-She died when I was a kid- he said as a matter-of-fact.

-I’m…I’m sorry- I said, shaking my head. His answer caught me off-guard.

 

He dismissed my sympathy. -I don’t remember her. My brothers do, but I was just three when she died-

 

-Four brothers, huh? How did you keep them straight? - I teased.

 

-I kept them straight by who hit the hardest, which also happened to be oldest to youngest. DongWook, Jaebeon and finally the Kwon twins…Yongdeunk and Yongdon; I learned half of what I do in The Circle from them.-

 

I shook my head, daydreaming about five Ji Yongs running and fighting around a house-Do they all have tattoos?-

 

-Pretty much. Except DongWook, He’s a business man in Busan- His jaws were working again, increasingly irritated with the students in the other table.

 

-Why are they laughing? - I asked, gesturing to the rowdy table. He shook his head, clearly not wanting to share. I crossed my arms and squirmed in my seat, nervous about what they were saying that caused him so much aggravation. -Tell me-

 

-They’re laughing about me having to take you to dinner. It’s not usually…my first movement-

 

-First movement?- When the realization settled on my face, Ji Yong winced at my expression. I spoke before I thought. -And I was afraid they were laughing about you being seen with- I grumbled.

 

-Why wouldn’t I be seen with you?-

 

-What were we talking about? - I asked, trying to cover the blush in my cheeks

 

- What’s your career? - He asked.

 

-Oh, I´m studying the general subjects, for now. I’m still undecided, but maybe I choose Business, I´m good and I have a lot of lucky-

 

-You are not from Seoul right; you look like a country boy-

 

-I´m from Gwanju but I lived in Japan 6 years. I came back to Korea 2 years ago-

 

-And why did you come back?-

 

I was starting to play with my pizza, was feeling really nervous. -I just had to get away-

 

-From what?-

 

-My parents-

 

-Oh. What about Daesung? He´s not getting along with his parents either?-

 

-No, Mr. and Mrs.  Kang are great. They practically raised me and when I came back from Japan I lived with them. Is just that Dae Hyung didn´t want me to come alone, how can I say it? We are like brothers and like I’m the younger he always take care of me-Travis nodded.  

 

The questions were drifting from small talk to personal, and I was beginning to get uncomfortable. So I decided to change the subject of conversation- What do you call me Panda? I´m sure you know my name-

 

Several chairs knocked together as the students left their seats. They traded one last joke before they meandered toward the door. Their pace quickened when Ji Yong stood up. Those in the back of the group pushed those in front to escape before Ji Yong made his way across the room. He sat down, forcing the frustration and anger away. I raised an eyebrow.

 

-Everybody call you SeungRi or SeungHyun. I like more Panda because only me can call you like that, so it´s different… is special and is our first step- He bite his lower lip meanwhile opened his menu again- By the way you can call me Hyung or Ji Yong, I don´t care.