Giddy

Clarity

The first minutes were awkward – they barely talked to each other. They kept stealing glances at each other through the menu book in front of them. When their gazes met they would quickly hide their faces behind the menu book. “Are you ready to order yet?” the waitress asked for the umpteenth time. “No,” they chorused together. She sighed, and muttered, “What a strangle couple.” That made the two blush hearing they were seen as a couple.  Shin, not being able to handle the awkwardness any longer, put down his menu book. His gaze remained on the table, as he sheepishly rubbed his neck. “U-Um, how about we go to the café down there instead? The-there’s drinks there, since it’s already past lunch time.” Why was he stuttering? “O-Okay,” she squeaks. Shin laughed a little to remove the awkwardness weighing around them.

 

They apologized for not buying anything, and went out of the restaurant. The waitress clucked her tongue in disapproval. “They go here not buying anything, and go just like that. Who they think they are? The President?” The elder woman chuckled. “I think I’ve seen those two before.” The waitress’ eyes widened. “Really? When?” “I don’t really know,” she watches their retreating back from the glass door.

 

“But I think I’ve seen them somewhere.”

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

“What do you want to drink?” the woman on the counter asks. “I’ll have caramel macchiato,” Shin replies. “How about you?” he asks. Seeing Suzy’s thinking face, it took all of his power not to pinch her cheeks seeing how cute she looks. “I’ll just have the strawberry ice tea.”

 

Shin insisted on paying, even though Suzy whined for him to not. After getting their drinks, they took their respective seats. The atmosphere became awkward once more, as both sip their drinks. Now that there was no menu book to hide behind, they both stared outside. “This is so awkward,” she unintentionally spits out. Shin chuckled, and nodded his head. “I feel like we’re on a blind date.” Suzy’s cheeks became rosy, and he thought she looked very beautiful that way.

 

“I’m Suzy,” she introduces herself, wanting to converse with the stranger. “I know.” Her heart beats faster. How does he know- “I saw it on your phone, your name was written there.” Suzy nods in return, and sipped on her iced tea. “Oh! Right!” Shin faced the girl, and she couldn’t help but look back. He gave her a smile that sent her heart racing. “I’m Shin, Shin Wonho.” “Shin,” she says. “Then I’ll call you Wonho!” she exclaims. Shin liked the way she said her name, it felt like the birds chirping merrily in the morning. Not bothering to correct her to call him Shin, he nodded. “Nice to meet you, Suzy.”

 

His smile is infectious,” she thought and smiled back.

 

“Nice to meet you too, Wonho.”

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

The two continued on chatting to one another for the next hour. Their conversation consisted of picture frames, the sun, and flowers. “I like how the sun sets,” she explains. “The orange and yellow blend well with the greyish-blue sky and the gradient is really pretty – it sorts of reminds me that dull things can be beautiful as well.” “Dull things can be beautiful,” he repeats. Shin smiles at her, and spoke, “You seem to know a lot about gradient, are you majoring in art? Or painting?” Suzy shook her head. “I don’t really paint,” she meekly smiles.

 

“Have you given it a try?” “Not yet.” He grins goofily. “Then you should give it a shot. You sound like you’re going to do great in that field,” he encourages. Suzy nods, and smiles just as big. “How about you? What do you want to do?”  “I want to become a doctor for children,” he says, determination coated in his voice. “Your future child would be lucky then,” she commented. “How so?” “They won’t have to face scary doctors.” Shin snorted. “So you’re implying doctors are scary?” Suzy nodded, and gave him a playful smile. “They’re the scariest human beings in the world.” “Why?” he asked, curious. “They could tell the truth or lie, and no one has any choice but to believe them.”

 

Shin falls silent at her words. It was true. “But that’s why your child is lucky,” she continues. “He or she would never be lied to.” Shin nodded and sipped on his once warm caramel macchiato.

 

“Artists have an even scarier job,”

 

“How so?”

 

“They keep showing the truth, whether they like it or not.”

 

He looks up to her.

 

“And sometimes, the truth is the scariest thing in the world.”

 

Suzy felt shivers running down her spine from his intense gaze. Shin then smiles once more, breaking off the tension. “You are so bipolar,” she comments. “That’s why I’m fun to be with.” She snorts at his self-remark. “You’re just the opposite of him,” she whispers. “From who? ‘Prince Myungsoo’?” he quotes in the air. Suzy felt her cheeks heating up, as she faced him. “How did you- Oh my gosh,” she digs her face into her palms, after her epiphany. He chuckled, enjoying how embarrassed she looks. “Oh right, that reminds me!” He digs into his jacket’s left pocket, and fishes out her phone. “I forgot I was here to return this to you.” Apparently the two momentarily forgot of what their meeting was intended to be, it felt more of a reunion of two close friends rather than returning her phone. “O-Oh right,” she timidly takes back her phone. “Thank you,” she bows. “Do you become formal when you’re embarrassed?” he asks. “Not that I’m aware of,” she remarks. He chuckles, and accidentally speaks out, “You look cute.”

 

All the sudden, their atmosphere was awkward once more, as heat rose up to both their cheeks. “Tha-thank you?” she replies, more like a question. He laughs awkwardly, and rubs the back of his neck. “Y-yeah.” “I-I should call Myungsoo now,” she announces. Shin feels a slight annoyance hearing his name said by Suzy, but he nods anyways. “O-okay.” Suzy had to bite back a smile, as she dialed Myungsoo’s number. Why was she suddenly feeling so giddy?

 

“Hello,” Myungsoo’s voice finally answered. “Hi Myungsoo, I finally got my phone back.” “That’s good.” Suzy could hear traces of doubt in Myungsoo’s tone of voice, and her forehead creased in curiosity. “Is something wrong?” she asks, worried. “U-um, Suzy, could you not go home today?” Suzy’s crease increased, what did he just say?

 

“Why, is something wrong Myungsoo?” “No, it’s just that I have a lot going on in the house today, and I’m afraid you wouldn’t be comfortable.” Suzy’s crease disappeared, and she sighed. “Myungsoo don’t worry, I’m a big girl already, I can take care of myself just fine.” “Are you sure? Do you want me to ask Woohyun to work overtime?” He asks, concerned. “Don’t bother, he still has a family to go home to, you know. Don’t worry, Myungsoo. I’ll be just fine.”

 

“You have your credit card with you right?” “Yes.” “Then just stay at a hotel there, and text me the name of the hotel and I’ll ask Woohyun to pick you up by tomorrow morning,” he announces. “Alright Myungsoo. Take care,” Suzy says. “You too.” A moment of silence came afterwards, before Myungsoo finally whispers, “I love you.” Suzy smiles, and hangs up the phone.

 

“What happened?” Shin asks, curious. “Looks like I’ll have to extend my stay here,” Suzy glances up to him, meaningfully. His smile widens, and he rose up from his seat. “Come on, I’ll give you a little tour of the city.” He gestures her to get up from her seat, and they walked out of the little café together.

 

Post%2Bdivider%2B1.png

 

Myungsoo hung up his phone, and loosen the tie around his neck. Thank God, that Suzy was not a busybody, so he didn’t have to explain much. “Myungsoo? Where are you?” He sighs, and gets out of Suzy’s bedroom. He quickly locks it, and places the key inside the pocket of his suit. “I’m here.” She glances at him, and her smile broadens.

 

“You have a beautiful home.”