Sharing

Elusiya

It was two years later when the first real conflict happened between Jongin and Kyungsoo and it was over crayons.

Kyungsoo had been visiting his house for the afternoon. His mother called it a playdate but that just made Jongin want to barf, dating was gross. Everything had been going peachy keen, he wasn’t much fond of that phrase but the boys teacher said it so much it just stuck, until they had been drawing stuff with the crayons. Jongin had went to borrow the blue crayon from Kyungsoo only to be met with resistance. This went on for five minutes until both children were rolling around on the floor fighting to have the crayon.

They kept at it until Jongin’s mother came into the room, having overheard the noise they were making, and separated them. Both of them were a little scuffed up but the one who looked worse for wear, not from being physically hurt though, was Kyungsoo. Big eyes were rapidly welling up with tears, ones that would never fall because big boys simply don’t cry, and his normally pouty mouth was going into over drive with its wibbling. All the while he clutched the blue crayon to his chest.

His scrunched up face filled with distressed inspired similar feelings in Jongin who was frowning like someone had just spit on his favorite snack.

Jongin’s mother sighed at the two boys before kneeling in between them.

“Now what started this then?” she probed sounding both stern and soft as only a mother can.

Terse silence was her answer for a minute before Jongin finally muttered grumpily, “He wouldn’t let me have my blue crayon.”

This elicited a sigh from his mother as she looked at Kyungsoo to see if he had anything to say about it. He preferred pouting instead of talking and thus offered up nothing.

Jongin's mother knowing both boys better than they currently knew themselves sigh and stood. “Okay then I'm going to go call your mother Kyungsoo since you two don't want to talk about it.”

She left the room quietly the numbers necessary to call Kyungsoo mum already in her head.

Silence was left in her wake as the boys entered a staring contest.

Eventually the raging war of stares was broken by the sound of Jongin’s mother on the phone with Kyungsoo’s own mom. As the woman talked for a bit Kyungsoo whispered to his friend, “I don’t wanna leafe.”

Lisping a bit on the last word, something that his mother always found so adorable she would kiss him, the young boy looked searchingly at Jongin. He really didn’t want to leave, spending time with Jongin was one of his favorite things besides pasta.

“Well then,” Jongin said more than a bit of bossy in his tone, “Give me my crayon.”

Kyungsoo clutched the blue crayon to his chest protectively and shook his head.

“Then go home,” Jongin growled turning his back to his best friend.

That made Kyungsoo kinda wanna cry, but he was a boy and boys aren’t supposed to do that, because Jongin never turned his back on him, never. Balling up his small fists too stubborn to just give him the crayon he huffed at Jongin’s back, and when that didn’t make him turn around he huffed again even louder.

Jongin scooted back to face Kyungsoo with a deep frown. “Why can’t you just share the stupid crayon?”

Now that was a good question. It took the other boy a few seconds to formulate the right answer.

“I wasn’t done drawing a blue elephant for grandma. Mum said it is time to visit her again and she likes blue stuff.”

Jongin sure didn’t expect that to be the answer he got. A year Kyungsoo’s grandmother had died and so he knew that had to mean they were gonna visit her grave.

All of a sudden Jongin felt very, very bad for having been grumpy at his friend. Sighing at the feeling of guilt in his young heart he smiled softly at the still wibbling Kyungsoo. “Okay you can use the blue crayon as long as you want.”

A few minutes later when Jongin’s mother was off the phone she was only a little bit surprised to find the boys once more getting along and drawing together. Proud of the boys for having so quickly settled what was really their first fight she smiled and leaned against the wall. She turned to go and call Kyungsoo’s mother back, she wouldn’t be needing to pick him up early after all.