Prologue: The Beginning

Divisi
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Chorong, no one wants to be in the choir. If they did, they would have already formed a line to sign up.” A lean boy lay across a line of chairs in the risers of the choir room. His hands rested behind his head and his eyes were closed shut.

 

A brunette girl with soft facial features whipped her head around to face the boy’s lazy figure. Her eyebrows slightly scrunched together in annoyance.

 

A thwacking sound resounded throughout the room.

 

“Ow, Chorong!” Junmyeon was startled awake and out of the chairs by a sharp blow to his head. He rubbed at the sore spot and sat up. He winced as he took notice of the girl’s clenched fist, the cause of his current pain. Damn, why was this girl so strong?

 

Chorong did feel bad for hitting him so hard, but there were more important matters at hand that he needed to be focusing on! “That’s not true! It’s just that no one is aware that our club even exists. We just need to find a way to promote the choir more.”

 

He looked up at her. “I don’t get it Chorong. Why do you want this club to succeed so badly? Every year we try to recruit new members and every year we fail.”

 

“Junmyeon oppa, we’re seniors! This is our last year to make anything count. Don’t you want to make it worth looking back on? And...” She faltered a bit. “And...I just want this to succeed. I really do.” For a split second, Chorong’s eyes turned hazy, as though her mind were someplace else. Just as quickly she snapped out of it and returned to whining. “So help me this year and actually be motivated about it?” She grabbed his arm pleadingly.

 

He still didn’t truly understand her desperation, but he softened at her touch. “Does it really mean that much to you?”

 

She nodded enthusiastically.

 

He let out a sigh, smiling a bit as he did so. “Alright then. I have a friend on the school’s newspaper. We can start there.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Namjoo! I didn’t know you were in the newspaper club!”

 

A petite girl perked up from the printer at the sound of her name. “Oh, Chorong unnie! Yeah, Oppa told me it’d be a great way to spice up my college applications, especially since I’m planning to major in journalism.”

 

Chorong’s eyes widened in surprise. “You already know what you’re going to major in?”

 

“Mhm! Even though I’m only a freshman, I figure it’s best to just decide to go with what I’ve always liked in the past: writing and finding out the latest information.”

 

Junmyeon let out a snort. “Or gossiping.”

 

Namjoo flushed red. “That’s not the same thing, oppa!”

 

He ruffled her hair, which the sh

Please log in to read the full chapter