Impressions

Can't Get You Out Of Me

 

“Hey Babe.  What’s up?”

“What’s up?  Toby are you kidding me?”

Laughs.  “No I’m not.  You’re the one who’s calling that’s why I’m asking what’s up?”

“You don’t even know what’s with today?”

“Hey.  What’s with that tone Babe?  I’m pretty sure it’s not our anniversary and I’m 100% sure that it’s not your birthday.  So seriously, what’s up?”

“Never mind.”  Lorraine hung up.

“Chincha.  What have I done this time?”  Toby said with a scowl.  He continued playing his x-box 360 when he realized he ran out of food.  He stood up to get more and saw something in his desk.  “Aigoo.  Rainy’s performance is tonight.  How could I forget?”  He hurriedly went to the shower and in a span of 47 minutes, he was ready to go.

 

“Hi.  This is Toby Kim.  I know this is kind of last minute, but I want to order 12 dozens of red roses and a bouquet of pink Holland tulips.  And if it isn’t too much to ask, I want it to be ready in 30 minutes.  I’ll meet you at the Seoul Ballet Theater by then.”

“But Sir, I don’t think we can…”

“Don’t worry, I’m willing to pay triple for your effort Ms. Pretty Voice.”  He smiled.  “I’ll meet you there in 28 minutes araso?”

“Okay Sir.”

“Komapsumnida.”

 

Lorraine is sitting in her dressing room getting ready for her performance.  She’s not nervous at all.  She’s done this so many times.  Ballet had been her life for 20 years.  It still remains to be and will always be her life.

“But why do I feel like something’s not right?”  She cried.

“Ms. Lorraine are you okay?  Do you need anything?”

“No I’m okay.  I mean, yes I’m not okay.  It’s just that for the nth time, Toby forgot that my performance is tonight.  Chincha.  He’s always like that.  Every time there is something significant, he gets this amnesia syndrome and forgets about it.”  She snapped.

“Don’t worry Ms. Lorraine.  I’m sure Mr. Toby has a very good reason for that.”

“Yeah right.  He always has reasons for everything.  Never runs out of them.”

“Maybe he has a book of a list on how to make excuses to your girlfriend.”

With that, Lorraine laughed.

“That’s more like it Ms. Lorraine.  Just focus on tonight.  Don’t fret on something 20 minutes before your performance.”

“Thanks Pipa.”

Pipa has been Lorraine’s personal assistant for almost 12 years.  Pipa’s mother was Lorraine’s nanny and she eventually took over her mom’s job when she was 12.  Lorraine does not only treat Pipa as her personal assistant.  For her, Pipa is a friend, a confidante and a sister.  She tells her everything that’s why Pipa knows how to cheer her up when something’s wrong.  It’s hard to keep a secret from her.

“By the way Pipa, I thought you invited your friends to watch me tonight?  Are they coming?”

“Oh about that Ms. Lorraine, my friend Jolo is here but Martin has work so he can’t come.”

“That’s okay.  But I sure would like to meet the both of them.”

 

Lorraine’s performance was heart stopping.  No doubt she was dubbed as a future ballet superstar when she was 4 years old and she is living up to that title.  Before she gave her famous bow, she was searching for Toby in the audience but he was nowhere in sight.  She got irritated but she managed to smile and bow.  Her eyes were almost filled with tears.  She opened the door of her dressing room and was surprised at what she saw.  It’s like the entire dressing room experienced a storm of roses.

“You thought I forgot right?  Would I do that to my Princess?”  Toby whispered from behind.

“Yah!  Toby what’s this?”

Toby faced her holding a bouquet of pink Holland tulips.  Her favorite.

“Mianhe.  I didn’t mean to upset you, but seeing that look on your face makes it all worth it.”

“Toby, I don’t know what to say.”

“I love you Babe.  That’s all I need to hear.”  Toby said.

“Well then I love you, I love you, I love you.”  Lorraine said hugging Toby.

 

“Wow they’re so sweet.”  Jolo said.

“Yeah.  Until Ms. Lorraine realizes that Mr. Toby came and did this halfway of her performance.  What a jerk.”  Pipa said.

“Yah.  You sound like a jealous girl Pipa.  Why?  You want flowers too?  Okay I’ll pick some from Jang Ahjumma’s garden and give them to you.”  Jolo laughingly said while placing his arms around Pipa’s shoulders.

“Excuse me.  Just shut your mouth Jolo.”

 

“Oh hey Pipa.  Look at what Toby did.  Isn’t he the sweetest?  You’re right.  He really knows what to do to melt my heart.  Thanks Babe.”  Lorraine said.

“Yeah.  It’s so beautiful Ms. Lorraine.  That’s so sweet of Mr. Toby.”  Said Pipa.

“That’s not what you said earlier.”  Jolo whispered.

“Oh!  Is this your friend Jolo?  Hi I’m Lorraine and this is Toby…”

“Her boyfriend.  I’m Lorraine’s boyfriend.”  Toby snapped.  “I’ll meet you outside Babe.  Don’t be too long.”

“Okay Babe.”  “Sorry about that.  Anyway, hi Jolo.  Uhm.  Are you okay?  Is he okay Pipa?”  Lorraine asked.

“Hey Ms. Lorraine is talking to you.”

“Oh Ms. Lorraine.  Anyong hashimnikka.  You’re so pretty.  No not pretty.  You’re beautiful Ms. Lorraine.  Very beautiful.”  Jolo said almost in trance.

“Omo Jolo.  You don’t need to embarass yourself like that.”  Pipa said.

“It’s okay Pipa.  No worries.  Thank you Jolo.”  Lorraine answered.

“You’re welcome.  You’re really beautiful Ms. Lorraine.” Jolo stated still staring at Lorraine.

“Stop staring at Ms. Lorraine.  You’re going to give her the creeps.”

Lorraine laughed.  “It was really nice meeting you Jolo.  I hope to see you again next time.”  She faced Pipa.  “I’ll ride with Toby.  You can drop off Jolo at his place before you bring my things home.”  “Bye guys.”

 

“Omo Pipa.  How could you not warn me that she’s that pretty.  Aigoo.  I hope Martin Hyung would also get the chance to meet her.  He's going to be smitten.”

“Martin?  I can only imagine his reaction.  Come on.  He never looks at women.  All he cares about is earning money for his siblings.”  Pipa said.

“You’re right.  But I still hope that Martin can meet a girl and fall in love so he can at least have a time off doing his Appa duties.”

Pipa sighed.  “Let’s go.  Lucky you, you get to ride in Ms. Lorraine’s van.”

“Yeah.  I’ve never rode on those before.  I can’t wait.  Yehey.  Pali.”  Jolo excitedly stated.

 

Lorraine was smiling on her way to the parking lot.  This day had been a blast.  She never expected that so many people would come to watch her.  And somehow, meeting new people, such as Pipa’s friend, made her happy.  She spotted Toby’s Volvo and was shocked at what she saw.

“You liar.  I thought you already quit 2 months ago?  Huh?”

“Babe!”  Toby hurriedly threw the cigarette with a surprised look on his face.

“Don’t you dare make excuses Toby.  I caught you in the act.”

“I’m sorry Babe.  It took you longer than I expected so I…”

“Liar.  You didn’t really quit did you?”  Toby didn’t answer.

“I knew it.  The fact that you still keep that lighter says it all.”

“I’m sorry Babe.”  Toby said with a pleading look on his face.

“Sorry you did it or sorry you got caught?”  Lorraine asked.

“Babe don’t be like this.”

Toby grasped Lorraine’s face and was about to kiss her but she pushed him.

“I’m not in the mood to kiss that stinky breath of yours.”

“Woah Babe.  Stop overreacting.”  He again tried to kiss her but she slapped him and pushed him once again.

“Now you’ve gone too far Babe.”  He forcefully leaned her into the car and roughly kissed her.

“Mmmmmp.  Stop this Toby.  I mean it.”  Lorraine shouted in between Toby’s kisses.

 

Martin just arrived at the Seoul Ballet Theater.  He was searching for a place where he can park his motorcycle and after 3 minutes he finally found a place.

“Jolo, I’m already here at the ballet theater.  Where are you guys?”

“Hyung.  The show’s over.  Pipa and I are on our way to the parking lot.  She’s just fixing Ms. Lorraine’s things.  Meet us there.”

“Okay.  I’ll just wait here…  Hey, leave her alone."

“Yoboseyo?  Hyung?  Hello?  Martin?  What’s going on?”

 

“Hey!  Leave her alone.”  Martin hurriedly pulled the guy and punched him in the face.

The girl screamed.  “Stop it you two.”

“I’ll remember that face of yours pizza guy.”  Toby shouted.

“Shut up Toby.  I told you to stop.  Just go home.”

“No I’m not yet done with this pizza guy.”

“Why?  You want another punch?  Huh?”

Toby moved as if to attack the pizza delivery guy but Lorraine got a hold of him.  “Toby please.  Just go home.  I’ve had enough.  Please.”  Lorraine pleaded.

Toby was so pissed and just wanted to punch that pizza delivery guy, but he got scared that Lorraine might break up with him for this.

“Let’s go Babe.”  Toby said getting a hold of Lorraine’s hand.

“No.  I’m not coming with you.  I’ll call Pipa and I’ll wait for them here.  You shoud leave.   Go home Toby or else.”

“Araso.  We’re not yet done pizza guy.”  Toby shouted.

“Stop now Toby.”  Lorraine screamed.  With that, Toby went to his car and left.

 

“Is that Martin?  What did he say?”

“He said he’s in the parking lot and he’ll wait for us there, but something went wrong on the line and I thought I heard him shout at someone.”  Jolo said.

“What?”  Pipa asked.

“Pali Pipa.  Let’s go there now.”

 

“Are you okay?”  Lorraine asked the guy.  “I’m so sorry about that but I could’ve handled him myself.”

“With that guy’s temper?  I don’t think so Miss.”

“That guy is my boyfriend.  I know I could’ve stopped him right then and there if you hadn’t interfered.”

“Interfered?  Wait Miss.  I wasn’t interfering, I was helping you.  You should be thankful I got here in time before you were... Never mind.”  Martin said.

“I’m sorry.  So you helped me.  Thanks for that.”  Lorraine reached for her purse.  “Here take this.  It’s for the trouble.”

Martin was shocked at the 50,000 won the girl was giving him.  He could have grabbed it, go to the grocery store and buy lots of food for his sisters.  But no, this is not all what he amounts to.

“Thank you Miss, but a simple thank you could have been enough.”  With that, he turned to leave.

 

“Martin Hyung.”  “Ms. Lorraine.”  Pipa and Jolo simultaneously called.

 

“Wait.  You’re Ms. Lorraine?  The ballet dancer who performed?  Pipa’s boss?”  Martin asked.

“You’re their friend Martin.”  Lorraine concluded.

 

“Are you okay Ms. Lorraine?  What happened here Martin?”  Pipa asked.

“I’m okay Pipa.  Don’t worry.  Something just happened.”  Lorraine answered.

“What happened Ms. Lorraine?”  Jolo asked.

“Oh don’t worry.  It was nothing…”

“Just that her boyfriend was forcing her and I happened to be here to help her.  That’s it.”  Martin snapped.

“Hyung.”  Jolo said.

“I’m sorry for causing you that trouble Martin.  Thank you.  I am sincerely grateful.  Komapsumnida.”  Lorraine faced Pipa.  “It had been a long day.  I want to go home.”

“Yes Ms. Lorraine.  But are you really okay?”

“Yes Pipa.  I just want to rest.”

“Okay.  We’ll go ahead guys.  See you later.”  Pipa told Jolo and Martin.

“Jolo, you want a ride home?  We can drop you off.”  Lorraine said.

“Ah it’s okay Ms. Lorraine.  I’ll go with Martin Hyung.  You go ahead and get some rest.  Goodnight.”

“Okay goodnight.”  Lorraine said.  She smiled at Jolo and then at Martin.

 

“Yah Hyung.  That was so uncool of you there.  You were almost shouting at Ms. Lorraine.”  Jolo sighed.

“I was not.  I was just getting to the point.  All I needed was a thank you but she wanted to give me money.  Those rich people.”  Martin stated.

“Aigoo.  You know what Martin, Ms. Lorraine is not at all like that.  I met her earlier and she was so pleasant.  She event wanted me to ride in her van and drop me off.”

Martin didn’t answer.

“We both know she’s not like other rich people.  Pipa always tell us how kind she is.  They’ve known each other since we’ve known each other and Pipa is all praises about her.  I’ve never imagined that someone so perfect really exists Hyung.  She’s really beautiful, talented and kind-hearted right?  Yah.  I bet you're smitten.  She's gorgeous...”  Jolo continued.

“I’m tired Jolo, and really sleepy.”  Martin cut him off.

“Araso.  Goodnight Hyung.”

 

Lorraine was still in shock of everything that happened.  She didn’t know that so many emotions would come across her in just a day.  She is sure that she would not get to sleep.  “What’s wrong with me?”  She asked herself, because instead of Toby, she kept seeing another guy’s face.  Martin’s face.

 

Martin can’t seem to sleep.  He’s tired but he can’t feel at least even a little sleepiness.  “Aigoo.  What’s wrong with me?”  He asked himself because something keeps playing in his head over and over.  A woman’s smile, Lorraine’s smile.