See you

Can't Get You Out Of Me

 

“Ms. Lorraine.  We’re here.”  Martin said as he carefully shook Lorraine’s shoulder.  Lorraine’s head was still tilted in his shoulder that’s why he can’t just move.

“Huh?”  Lorraine asked a little disoriented.

“We’re here.”

“Oh.”  It was then that she realized that she had slept the entire ride, leaning on Martin’s shoulder.  Embarrassed, she quickly jerked in an upright motion but then stopped herself.  “Oh right.”  She reached for her purse.  “Here Ahjussi.  Keep the change.  Thanks.”  She said to the cab driver and gave him the money.

 

“Oh my God Ms. Lorraine you’re here.  Omo omo.  Where did you go?  What happened?  Gosh.  I’m so glad your home safe and sound.”  Pipa said in a sequential manner.

“It’s been a long day Pipa.  I’m really tired.  Can you run me a bath?  Thanks.”

“Ah yeah.  Just give a minute.  Wait for me Martin.  We have something to talk about.”

 

“Ms. Lorraine.”  “Martin.”  They simultaneously called each other.

“Yeh?”  “Yeh?”

Lorraine smiled.  “You go ahead.  What is it?”

“Uh.  I just want to say sorry about my mom.  She’s just like that.  She had always wanted me to have a girlfriend and seeing you was… Aigoo.  Mianhe Ms. Lorraine.”  Martin stated looking on the floor.

“Hey.  It’s okay.”  Lorraine winked at him and his chest once again tightened.  “I should be the one saying sorry.  You got fired because of me and then I insisted on coming with you.”  She looked down.  “Thank you.  Thank you for last night.  Gosh.  If you hadn’t got there in time Toby could’ve…”  She trailed off and then she looked at Martin and reached for his hand.  “Thank you for this day.  I don’t know why but I’m really glad that you were the one I ran into.  Omo.  I don’t know.  I’m too happy.  Meeting you, I mean meeting you and your sisters, it’s like…  Thank you for letting me know how it feels to have sisters.   Thank you.”

Martin can’t help but smile.  He doesn’t know why, but something about Lorraine makes him want to protect her.  “Uhm.  Well.  You’re welcome.  It may be hard for you to believe but I had a great day too.  Yes it had been tough, as I now have to face unemployment, but I’m glad to be of help to you.”

Lorraine squeezed Martin’s hand and he squeezed hers in return.

 

“What the hell is going on here?  Huh?”

“Toby?  What are you doing here?”

“What am I doing here?  Why?  Am I not allowed to visit my girlfriend anymore?  Huh?  Care to explain why this pizza guy is here?”  He faced Martin.  “Let go of her hand or I swear I’ll cut off yours.”  He shouted.

It was then that Lorraine and Martin realized that they are still holding each other’s hands.  They immediately let go and looked down.  Lorraine touched her hair and Martin placed his hands on his pockets.

“Toby.  Stop overreacting it’s…”

“Woah?  I’m not overreacting.  I’m acting just right.  Just the way someone is supposed to act when he sees his girlfriend holding hands with someone else.”  Toby shouted at the top of his lungs.

“Yah.  Don’t shout at her.  After what you’ve done last night, the least you could do is just shut up and listen to her.”  Martin angrily stated at Toby.

“And who gave you the right to meddle on our conversation?  You better get going before I lose control.  I’m really just restraining myself, but I really wanna shoot your head and kill you now.”

“Toby.”  Lorraine shouted.

“Bring it on.”  Martin replied.

“Oh yeah?”  Toby was ready to attack him but Lorraine got in the middle of them.

“Ms. Lorraine.  Oh my God.  Martin let’s go.”  Pipa said trying to get a hold of Martin who was also ready to attack Toby.

“No.  This guy must get what he deserves.  I’m gonna give him…”

“Martin please.”  Lorraine looked at Martin with pleading eyes.  “I think I’ll handle this by myself.”  She faced Pipa.  “Can you guys give us a minute?”  She was still holding Toby’s arms.

“But are you okay Ms. Lorraine?”  Pipa asked.

“Yes.”  She faced Martin and gave him a reassuring smile.  Martin nodded and walked away.

 

“Now.  Could you please tell me what that pizza guy is doing here holding your hand?  Huh?”

“Toby.  Whatever it is you’re thinking, you’re definitely wrong.”

“What?  We just had a misunderstanding 24 hours ago and now you’re inviting another guy over here?  And not just any other guy huh?  A guy who punched me in the face last night.”  He his hair with his fingers.  “When I woke up this afternoon they told me that they got a call from Pipa asking if you were there because you where nowhere to be found.  I even called everyone and drove straight here but then that’s what I’ll see?  How do you expect me to react huh?”  His tone became softer.  “I was so worried of you.  We had a fight last night and I just thought so many crazy things like you ran away because you won’t ever want to see me again.  You know I can’t handle that.”

“Toby…”

“I love you so much Lorraine.  You know that.  I’m sorry if I always do things that upset you.  But you know that everything I do is based solely on you.  I love you.  More than anything in this world.  More than my life.  I know you know that.  I love you.  Babe please.  Let’s just end this fight.  Please.”  Toby said softly grasping Lorraine’s shoulders.

“I know that Toby but I hope you realize that not everything should be dealt with a hot temper.  You’re always like that.  You always tend to do things on a spur of the moment attitude.  You don’t even think of the consequences your actions might bring.”

“I know Babe.  I’m sorry for that. Look, if it will ease you up, I’ll even say sorry to that pizza guy.  Just please forgive me.  Huh?”

“Yeah.  I think you should say sorry not only to me but also to Martin.”

Toby glared.  “Araso.  I will.  But before I do that, I want you tell me what is that pizza guy doing here?”  He asked.

“He has a name Toby.”  Lorraine said.

“Yeah yeah.  What is Martin doing here?”  Toby impatiently asked.

“Well.  I just wanted to go somewhere without even thinking of everything that happened last night.  I turned off my phone on purpose so no one would contact me.  I went hungry and ate at Mr. Pizza.  Some customers there recognized me and asked for pictures and autographs.  They kinda got out of hand and I was lucky enough that Martin was there.  That was where he worked.  Anyway, to cut the story short, he saved me from those customers who got a little rowdy back there.”  Lorraine explained skipping the part that she went to Martin’s house and stayed there all day.

“So that’s why you we’re together?”

“Yes Toby.  That’s why he’s here.”

“But you were gone the whole day, meaning you were with him the entire time you were gone?”

“Yes.”  Lorraine said looking down.

Toby didn’t answer but his expression told Lorraine that it was not okay with him.  Lorraine held both of his hands.

“Babe.  I know that look.  You don’t have to be jealous or anything.  In fact, we should be thankful to him.  If not for him, it could’ve gotten worse back there.”

Toby rolled his eyes.  “If that’s what it is, then I believe you.  I love you.  Everything that comes out from that tiny mouth of yours is what I’ll believe.  I love you so much Babe.”  He gave her a little peck on the lips.  Lorraine smiled and hugged him.

“I love you too Babe.  But please don’t do that again okay?  Last night I mean.”

“Yes Babe.  I promise I won’t do that again.  I’m really sorry.  I won’t force you like that again.  I love you so much.”  Toby said hugging her tightly.

 

“Chincha.  Just like that and she already forgave him.  Just last night that guy was forcing her.  If I hadn’t got there in time that guy could’ve her.  And now, they’re kissing and hugging as if nothing had happened.”  Martin angrily muttered.  He and Pipa are standing outside in the garden but they can see Lorraine and Toby from there.

“What?  They’re always like that.  That’s the way how love goes Martin.  You fight, break up, forgive, forget, kiss and make up.”  Pipa said facing Martin’s back.

“Oh yeah?  I think that’s crazy.  That’s why I won’t ever fall in love.  I don’t want to subject myself on something so crazy.  Not ever.”  He exclaimed.

“Yes it’s crazy.  But that’s how love is.  Crazy.”  Pipa sadly whispered looking at Martin’s back.  “Anyway.  You have some explaining to do.  What exactly happened?  How did Ms. Lorraine got to your house?”

Martin explained everything to Pipa not leaving anything out.  Pipa just nodded at everything, but she felt that something was different from Martin.  She can’t figure it out exactly but it made her nervous.

“So you mean to say that you got fired today?”  She asked Martin.

“Yes.”

“Omo Martin.  Ottoke.”

“Aish Pipa.  That’s okay.  The schedule there is crazy anyway.”

“But what will you do?  You’re supporting Jang Ahjumma and your sisters.  How are you gonna do that if you lost your job?”  Pipa asked.

“Yah.  I’ll go job hunting tomorrow.  I know there’s lots of work out there that I can do.  Don’t worry.”  Martin smiled.

“But it’s not fair.  You shouldn’t have lost your job from a mere incident…”

“It wasn’t just a mere incident.  It’s… It’s worth it.”  Martin cut her off.  Pipa don’t know why but what Martin said didn’t make her feel good.

 

“Pipa, Martin.  Uhm.  Toby here wants to say something.  Babe?”

“Araso araso.  Ah.  Martin.  I want to say sorry.  Aigoo.  Furthermore, I want to thank you for helping Lorraine.”  Toby said gesturing a handshake towards Martin.

Martin didn’t feel good about it.  He looked at Lorraine and she smiled at him.  He sighed.  “Okay.”  He accepted the handshake and smiled at Lorraine.

Lorraine and Pipa smiled.

“I’ll have to go ahead first.”  Martin told them.

“Oh okay.  You take care and again, thanks for everything.”  Lorraine said.

“I’ll walk him outside Ms. Lorraine.”  Pipa said.

 

“Thanks for doing that Babe.”  Lorraine said circling her arms around Toby’s.

“I did it because you told me so.”  Toby said pointing a finger at the tip of Lorraine’s nose.

“Fine.  But that’s a start.  You made me happy.  Thanks Babe.”

“So what are we gonna do tonight?  Should we watch a movie Babe?”  He asked.

“Actually.  I’m really tired Babe.  Can we just do that tomorrow?  I barely slept last night.”  Lorraine said with a yawn.

“Oh Babe.”  He sighed.  “Okay.  I’ll walk to your room.  You go get a goodnight’s sleep okay?  I love you.”  He said planting a kiss on hear forehead.

 

It’s 7:07 a.m.

“Ms. Lorraine?”  Pipa said trying to wake her up.

“Hmmmm.”  Lorraine muttered.

“Your mom is on the phone and she wants to talk to you right away.  Mianhe Ms. Lorraine.”

Her mom on the phone so early in the morning?  Lorraine immediately eased up from her sleepiness and tried to calculate the time difference.  If it’s 7:00 a.m. in Seoul, it’s more or less 1:00 a.m. in Spain.  She wondered what could have been so urgent that her Mom was calling.  She took the phone from Pipa’s hand and answered.

“Yoboseyo?  Oma?  Wae?”  She sleepily asked.

“Yah.  Lorraine.  I just got home and checked on my messages.  What is this message that Pipa left me saying that you went missing?  Huh?”

Lorraine looked at Pipa with her eyes so wide.  Pipa gave her a look that was saying I’m sorry.  She glared at her.

“Oma.  I just went somewhere.  But look, I’m home now.  I’m okay.  You didn’t have to worry.”  She assured her mother.

“Araso.  It’s a relief that your home safe and sound, but there’s another thing dear.  Some photos of you are posted on a Korean internet site.  You were eating at a pizza parlor and there were people who commented there that those people got a little crazy and out of hand.  Are you okay honey?”

Lorraine rolled her eyes.  “Of course I am.  It wasn’t really that much of an incident Oma.  They just happened to recognize me and asked for some pictures and autographs.  They just got so many that I hadn’t been able to handle them easily.  That’s just about that.”  She carefully explained.

“Kure?”

“Yeh.”

“That’s it Lorraine Moon.  I’m getting you a bodyguard.”

“Oma.  You can’t do that.”

“And why can’t I huh?  You’re safety is all I’m after.  With me being miles away that’s the only thing that would keep me from worrying.”

“But I don’t need a bodyguard.  Pipa is always with me.”  Lorraine said.

“No buts dear.  Wae?  Could Pipa help you shove away people who got out of hand?  Of course not.  I’m getting you a bodyguard and that’s final.”

Lorraine sighed.  There’s no point in arguing with her mom because she will never win.

“Araso.”

“Good.  I’ll contact a friend of mine in Seoul and have him find you a bodyguard.  Okay?”

Lorraine didn’t like the idea of her having a bodyguard, but she already agreed and she can’t back down now.  She irritatingly sighed and then smiled.

“Oma.  Wait.  You don’t have to do that.  I already have someone who will be my bodyguard.”  She said.

“Really?  And who would that person be?  Are you sure he can be trusted?”  Her mom asked with a tone of suspicion in her voice.

“Yes Mom.  He can be trusted.  I know he’ll guard me with his life.  So don’t worry okay?  He’ll be my bodyguard starting this day.”

“Send that guy’s resume to me via e-mail right away.  I have to check on his background first.  He won’t start until I’m sure of him.  You understand?”

“Araso.  I’ll give you a call once I’ve sent it to you.”

“Okay dear.  It’s 1:00 am here.  I can now sleep because I know you’re okay.  Thank God.  Take care always okay?  I love you.”  She hung up.

“I love you too Oma.  I miss you.”  Lorraine said without her mom hearing it.

 

Pipa entered the room with a breakfast tray.

“Mianhe Ms. Lorraine.  I really didn’t want to call your mom but I got so worried when I haven’t heard from you for five hours.  Sorry.”  She said.

“Oh well Pipa.  What’s done is done.”  Lorraine smiled.

I think I heard that from someone before.  Pipa thought to herself.  “Here.  Have breakfast Ms. Lorraine.”

“Thanks.”

“I’ll go ahead first Ms. Lorraine.  I have to fix your things anyway.”  Pipa was about to leave the room when Lorraine called her again.

“Uhm Pipa.  Can I have Martin’s number?”  Lorraine asked.

“What?  I mean of course Ms. Lorraine.”  Pipa took her cellphone from her pocket and tried to find Martin’s number with her hands shaking.  “Here.”

“Thanks.”  Lorraine got her cellphone and copied the number.  She dialed and felt her heart skip a beat when she heard the other line ring.

 

Martin was about to leave home.  He woke up early because he has to find a new job.  He hasn’t told his mom that he got fired and he immediately has to find a new one so as not to worry her.  He was sitting by the door tying his shoelace when his cellphone rang.  He looked at the caller id, but it was an unknown number.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Martin?”  He almost fell on where he was sitting when he heard the voice on the other line.

“Yoboseyo?  Martin?  Are you there?  It’s Lorraine.”

He felt his chest tighten.  “Ah yeh I’m here.  Ms. Lorraine is that really you?”  He asked.  Aigoo.  What a question. I sound stupid.  He heard a little laugh.

“Yes it’s me.  Hi.”

“Hi.  Uhm.”

“Well.  I called because I have something to ask you.  But I think it would be better in person.  Are you busy?  Can you come here?”  She asked him.

“Sure.”  He immediately replied.

“Gee thanks.  I’ll wait for you then.  Say hi to Ki and Ka for me.  See you.”

 

Lorraine hung up the phone smiling and covered her face with a pillow.  She suddenly got conscious and breathed a sigh of relief when she realized that Pipa didn’t see how she reacted.  “See you again.”  She whispered.

 

Martin was dazed at the call he got.  Chincha?  He can’t help but smile and run his fingers to his hair.  “See you again.”  He whispered.