Assumptions

Can't Get You Out Of Me

 

“Can I be of any help?”  Lorraine asked Martin who was busy slicing beef meat for bulgogi.

“Huh?  I don’t think so.  You can just sit there Ms. Lorraine.”  Martin went to the refrigerator and got a bottle of orange juice and poured some in a glass.  “Here.”  He placed it in front of Lorraine.

“Komapta.”  Lorraine told him.  He was about to get back at what he was doing when Lorraine held his wrist.

“Wait.  Here have some juice too.”  Before Martin could protest, Lorraine gave him a wink.

“Oh.  Komapta.”  He answered with a dumbstruck expression.  Aigoo.  Here she goes again with that wink.  How am I supposed to react with that?  He thought to himself.

 

Lorraine stood up and wore an apron that was hanging beside the fridge.  “I should at least help you with these.”  She told Martin.

“Aniyo Ms. Lorraine.  Your hands would just get dirty.  Besides, you’re a guest in this house.”

“Please let me help you.  Please.”  She stated with her eyes blinking.

“Araso araso.”  Martin stated feeling his chest tightening.

“Yehey.  Thanks.”  Lorraine gleefully stated and picked up a knife.  “I’m going to chop these.”  She told Martin pointing at the carrots with the knife.

“No.  Not with that.  You might get hurt with that.  You can wash the other vegetables.”  Martin said while carefully getting the knife off of Lorraine’s hand.

“Oh.  Okay then.”  Lorraine told him with a wink.

Aigoo.  What is really with those winks?  I can’t think straight because of those.  Martin thought to himself, holding his chest.

“Gwenchana?”  Lorraine asked him.

“Yeh.  I’m okay.”  Martin answered still holding his chest.

“Are you sure?”  Lorraine approached him and held his shoulders.

“I’m okay.”  He hurriedly backed off from Lorraine’s grip.  “Just please…  Please don’t do that again.”

“Do what?  I’m sorry, but what have I done?”  Lorraine inquired.

“Nothing.  I’m sorry.  I need to go to the bathroom.”  Martin hurriedly walked away.

 

Omo.  What have I done to upset him?  Omo.  I must be washing these the wrong way.  I’m such a meddler.  I should have listened to him.  Did I just ruin their lunch?  Oh no.  Ottoke.  He makes me nervous.  Chincha.  Lorraine worriedly thought.

 

Aigoo.  Those winks have got to stop.  I can’t think straight right now.  And that grip.  Aigoo.  She makes me really nervous.  My chest is tightening.  What in the world is going on with me?  Aigoo.  Martin thought to himself still holding his chest.

 

“Oppa.  Unnie.  We’re here.”  Ki and Ka announced their arrival.

Thank God.  Both Martin and Lorraine thought to themselves.

“Oh what a cutie.  Who is he or is he a she?”  Lorraine asked the twins.

“Unnie.  This is our friend Jolie.  She’s so cute right?”

“Yes she is.  What a nice name Jolie.”  Lorraine stated while caressing the dog’s head.

“She’s named after Jolo Oppa.”  Ka said.

“Oh.  So she’s Jolo’s dog?  So cute.  Jolo and Jolie.”  Lorraine muttered with a smile.

“Oppa.  We’re hungry.  Are we going to eat lunch now?”  Ki asked Martin.

“Huh?  Ah yeh.  I’ll just set the table.”

“Let me help you.”  Lorraine followed Martin.

 

“I’m here.”  Jolo shouted with a big smile on his face.

“Jolo Oppa.  You’re here.”  Ki and Ka chorused.

“I’m hungry.  What’s for lunch?”  Jolo asked while hugging Jolie and walking to the kitchen.

 

“Hyung.  I’m hungry.  What did you cook for today?”  Jolo asked Martin.  “Omo.  Ms. Lorraine you’re here.”  He exclaimed with a shocked expression on his face bowing to Lorraine.

“Oh hi Jolo.  What’s up?”  Lorraine bowed to him.

“I’m okay.  How about you?”

“What a surprise that Pipa brought you here.”

“Actually no.  Pipa wasn’t the one who brought me here…”

“Yah Jolo.  I thought you’re hungry.  Come and help me set the table so we can eat.”  Martin cut her off.

 

“Martin Hyung this is so delicious.  Awesome.  I never thought you know how to cook bulgogi.”  Jolo stated in between mouthfuls.

“Just mind your food.”  Martin irritatingly stated.

“Chincha.  You never cooked something this special before.  Perhaps because Ms. Lorraine is here.  Trying to impress her hah Hyung?  Aigoo.  I knew it.”  Jolo said.

Martin kicked his foot under the table.

“Ah Hyung.”

“Sorry Ms. Lorraine.  This guy really doesn’t have proper table manners.”  Martin said facing her but not meeting her eyes.

“Oh.  It’s okay really.  It’s really delicious Martin.  You’re a good cook.”  She stated.

“Oh.  Cheonmaneyo.”

“Here Unnie have some more meat.”  Ki said.

“Unnie have some more of the banchan.”  Ka said.

“Unnie?  You call Ms. Lorraine Unnie?”  Jolo asked the twins.

“Yes Jolo Oppa.  She’s our Unnie now.”  They stated.

“Ah that’s great.  Hah Hyung.  You seem tense.  What’s with you?  Your cheeks are burning.”  Jolo said with an amused expression.

“Chincha.  Stop it or else.”  Martin whispered to Jolo.

 

Lorraine remained quiet the rest of the meal but she can’t help smiling.  This is the best lunch she had so far.  She felt like she belongs to a family with them as her siblings.  Unnie.  So nice to hear.  She thought to herself.

 

“Aigoo.  I ate too much.  I think I need to go to the bathroom.”  Jolo said with his hands on his tummy.

“I think you overate Jolo.  Maybe you need to drink tea.”  Lorraine stated.

“I think so too Ms. Lorraine.”  He faced Martin who was washing the dishes.  “I’ll go ahead Hyung.  I badly need to go the bathroom.”  He again faced Lorraine.  “It was nice having lunch with you Ms. Lorraine.  I hope to see you again.”

“Chincha.  That guy.  He just left right after eating.”  Martin whispered while shaking his head.

“That was a superb lunch Martin.  I haven’t eaten like that for ages.  Thank you.”  Lorraine said and winked at him.

Aigoo.  There she goes again.  Martin thought to himself feeling his chest tightening again.

 

Cellphone ringing.  “Yoboseyo?  Yeh Pipa?  What’s up?”  Jolo asked.

“Why is your voice like that?  Where are you Jolo?”

“Oh.  I’m in the restroom.  Ah chincha.  My stomach hurts so much.  I ate so many.  Martin Hyung cooked bulgogi for lunch and I was lucky enough to be there.”

“Yeah right.  You’re always there when it’s time to eat.  Chincha.”  Pipa said.

“Why did you call?  You miss me?”  Jolo asked her.

“Of course not, but you could go on dreaming.  Aigoo Jolo.  I have such a problem.”

“Omo.  What is it Pipa?”

“Ms. Lorraine is missing since this morning.  I’ve contacted her manager and the other staff from the ballet theater but no one seems to know.  I even called Mr. Toby’s home but the one who answered said that he just got back at around 4:00 a.m. and is still sleeping.  I don’t know where to find her.  If her Mom finds out.  Ottoke.  Jolo.”

“What do you mean Ms. Lorraine’s missing?  She’s not.  I just had lunch with her at Martin’s house.”

“Yah.  I have a big problem here and you don’t take me seriously.  Chincha.”

“I’m not kidding Pipa.  Ms. Lorraine is really at Martin Hyung’s home.  I swear.”  Jolo muttered.

“Jeongmal?  Aigoo.  Why would I believe you?”

“If you don’t believe me you can just call Martin yourself to confirm it.  You’re hurting me.”

“So you’re not kidding?  Ms. Lorraine is really there?  Why is she there?”  Pipa asked.

“I don’t know Pipa.  But I’m really not kidding.  Uhg.  I gotta go now.”

 

“Yoboseyo?”

“Martin.  I just talked to Jolo.  Is it true?  Ms. Lorraine is there?  Why is she there?  Omo.  I’ve been looking for her since morning and you don’t dare to call me and tell me that she’s with you?”

“Wait Pipa.  Hold it.  Aigoo.  It’s a long story…”

“Who is that?”  Lorraine asked.

“Is that Ms. Lorraine?  Huh Martin?”

“It’s Pipa.  What should I tell her?”  Martin mouthed to Lorraine.

“Let me talk to her.”  Lorraine stated and got the phone from Martin.

“Pipa hi.  What’s up?”

“Ms. Lorraine is that really you?  Omo.  Thank God.  I was worried sick.  Where have you been?  Aniyo.  Why are you there?  I’ll go there right now.  Wait for me.”  Pipa stated.

“Don’t bother Pipa.  I’ll go home later.  Martin will take me.”  She looked at Martin and he nodded.

“What?  No Ms. Lorraine.  I’ll pick you up right now.  Omo.  Your Mom will kill me if she learns about this.”

“Don’t worry Pipa.  Just stay calm.  Oma won’t kill you.  Just stay there.  Martin will take me home.  Okay?”

“Oh okay.  But promise me that you’ll be back soon.  Please Ms. Lorraine.”

“I promise.  Pinky promise.  Araso?”

“Araso.  Uhm.  Can I talk to Martin?”

“Oh sure.  I’ll see you later then?”  Lorraine smiled and gave the phone to Martin.  “She wants to talk to you.”

“Hello?”

“Hey.  Be sure to take back Ms. Lorraine here safe and sound as soon as possible.  Aigoo.  I was so worried.  You have a lot of explaining to do.”

“Yeah right.  I’m hanging up now Pipa.  Bye.”

 

“I think you really need to go home.”

“Yes.  I think so too.”

“Shall we go now?”

“Yes.  But I just have to say goodbye to Ki and Ka first.”

“Oh okay.”

“Ki, Ka, I have to go home now.  Give me hugs and kisses again please.”  Lorraine told them.

“Oh Unnie.  You’re leaving.”  Ki said looking disappointed.

“Yeah.  But don’t worry.  I’ll come visit you again real soon.  Okay?”

“Chincha?  Wow.  Please come again soon Unnie huh?”  Ka said and both girls jumped to give her hugs and kisses.

 

Martin and Lorraine are standing at the curb in front of the house waiting for a cab.

“Thank you so much for this day Martin.  I really had fun.”  Lorraine stated.

“It’s okay.  It had been a long day.  Glad to be of help to you.”  Martin said almost pacing.

Lorraine reached for his hand.  “I really thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I can’t quite explain it but this day is such a happy day for me because of you.  Uhm.  I mean because of you and your sisters.”

“It was nothing.  Thank you also for being nice to my sisters…”

“Martin, who is she?”

“Oh.  Oma.  You’re back early.”

“Anyeong hashimnikka.”  Lorraine stated bowing to Martin’s mother.

“Oh hi dear.  I’m Martin’s mom, and you are?  Omo.  You’re his girlfriend?  It’s so nice to meet you.  You’re so pretty.”  She gave Lorraine a hug.

“Oh.  Komapta.  But…”

“Oma.  What are you saying?”

“What?  You’ve never brought a girl here before, of course with the exception of Pipa.  She’s pretty son.  You’re girlfriend is very beautiful.”  She faced Lorraine.  “You’re so beautiful dear.  I couldn’t ask for more for my son.”

“Oh.  Komapta Ahjumma.”

“Ahjumma?  What’s with the formality?  We’re basically family now.  Call me Oma.”

“Chincha?  Yeh Oma.  Komapta Oma.”

“What?”  Martin interrupted but Lorraine winked at him.

“What’s with the what huh?  Go set the table.  I bought dukbokki.”  She held Lorraine’s arm.  “Let’s go eat dinner dear.”

“Oh.”   She looked at Martin as if asking for help.

“She has to go now Oma.  She has to go home right this time.”  Martin stated.  He faced Lorraine.  “I’ll go call a cab.”

“Mianhe Oma.  I really have to go now.  I need to do something important.”

“Jeongmal?  Oh okay.  But promise you’ll go back on Martin’s birthday next week?”

“It’s his birthday?  Oh I mean yes Oma.  I’ll surely come.”

“Okay then.  It was nice meeting you Lorraine.”  She again hugged her.

“The cab is here.  Let’s go.”  He faced his mom.  “I’ll be right back soon Oma.  Have dinner with the twins.”

“Okay.  Be safe guys.”  She said with a wide smile.

 

The cab ride was quiet. 

 

What?  So in my Mom’s eyes she’s my girlfriend now?  Aigoo.  Martin thought to himself.

“I’m sorry about my mom assuming that you’re my girlfriend.  But you really shouldn’t have agreed to her.  Mianhe.  My mom is really persistent.  Don’t worry.  You don’t have to see her again so we don’t have to pretend.  Besides, you already have a boyfriend.  Ah chincha.  What’s with me?  As if you’ll really be my girlfriend just because my mom thinks we’re together.”

Lorraine was already asleep and her head fell on Martin’s shoulder.  “Oh so you’re asleep.  Aigoo.  That’s good.  At least you didn’t hear all those nonsense I just muttered.”  Martin stated laughing at himself.

When you were here before
Couldn't look you in the eye
You're just like an angel
Your skin makes me cry
You float like a feather
In a beautiful world
I wish I was special
You're so f* special

But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here

I don't care if it hurts
I want to have control
I want a perfect body
I want a perfect soul
I want you to notice when I'm not around
You're so f* special
I wish I was special

But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell I'm doing here?
I don't belong here

She's running out the door
She's running out
She runs runs runs

Whatever makes you happy
Whatever you want
You're so f* special
I wish I was special

But I'm a creep
I'm a weirdo
What the hell am I doing here?
I don't belong here
I don't belong here

A song was playing on the cab's stereo.  Martin knew that this song is telling him something and it's making his chest tight, his palms sweaty and his pulse racing.