Fourth Try

Love Fool a.k.a. How To Confess When You Love The Most Oblivious Person In The Whole World

It had been a few days since his last confession. After a night full of tears, Kyungsoo had finally calmed down. After thoroughly thinking about it, he had realized he had been stupid crying so much. Of course Chanyeol's words had hurt him. Like they were knives tearing his heart apart. But maybe he had just misunderstood his friend's intentions. Chanyeol was slow, Kyungsoo knew it. Maybe he had thought Kyungsoo meant he liked him like a friend. I should have just told him I loved him. That way, he would have understood. Are you sure?, a little voice inside of him wondered, last time you said you loved him, he didn't even hear it. There's still hope, Kyungsoo reassured himself. He would just have to find a new way to confess his love. He would have to think about it carefully, it was not an easy task to make his dumb crush understand his feelings.

 

Chanyeol himself gave him a golden opportunity. On an afternoon where he and Kyungsoo were chilling in the taller male's room, he asked his best friend out of the blue, “Is there really a Baby Boy out there?” Surprised, Kyungsoo looked up from the book he was reading. “Huh?”

“I mean, I've never seen him. You hang out with me all the time, so I wonder when you can meet him. Plus, I asked Jongin and Sehun and they won't tell me anything.”

“You... You did what?” the shorter boy asked incredulously.

“How come they know something I don't?” Chanyeol went on, not answering the younger's question.

“They know nothing more than you.”

“Liar. I know they know something. Do they know who he is?” Kyungsoo said nothing, he just looked away. “They know.” It was not a question. “Why?” When Kyungsoo kept his mouth shut once more, Chanyeol repeated his question. “Why did you tell them and not me? I thought I was your best friend!”

“You are!” Kyungsoo exclaimed. “And I've never told them. They guessed it. They said it was obvious.”

“For me it's not!” Chanyeol shouted. He took a deep breath, trying to calm down. “So they've already seen him.” he coldly said. Once again, it was a statement.

“Yeah, but you've seen him too. You just don't know it.” the younger male told his friend, wondering how he would react if he told him he just had to look in a mirror to find out who his crush was.

“I don't understand, is he a ghost or something? I've seen him but I don't remember...”

Kyungsoo couldn't help it, he started to laugh. “He's just like you and me,” he told his friend.

“When do you see him?” the older male asked, slowly calming down.

“We text and talk on the phone.” Before thinking about it, the shorter boy added, “he's taking me on a date next Sunday.”

“A date? So, are you guys going out?” Chanyeol asked suspiciously.

“No. I said it's a date but we'll just go out as friends.”

“Where are you going?” the tall boy went on with his interrogation.

“Why are you asking? Do you wanna spy on us?” Kyungsoo joked.

“Maybe,” the older male retorted with a smirk.

“Don't you dare!” the other exclaimed, face burning at the thought of his friend realizing it had all been a lie.

“Just kidding.” Chanyeol chuckled. “Anyways, aren't you nervous? It's your first date after all.” The tall male sounded curious.

“Actually, I am.” Kyungsoo got an idea. “Maybe you could help me about it,” he told his best friend.

“How?”

“Can you just... pretend you're him... and go out with me this Saturday... I mean, it would be like a rehearsal...”

“Huh?” Chanyeol didn't think his younger friend would ask him something like that. “But I thought you didn't wanna pretend,” he exclaimed.

“Yeah, but this is different. Wait! No, forget it!”

“Okay.”

“I said forg... What? Is it okay?” he couldn't believe his ears. Had Chanyeol really accepted his offer?

Said boy confirmed it seconds later. “Yeah, I'll be your Saturday boyfriend,” he said with a chuckle. The tall male didn't know what his words made to Kyungsoo's insides. My boyfriend?, he thought, heart racing wild with hope.

 

***

 

Saturday came by and Kyungsoo was excited. Excited and nervous. A date with Chanyeol. Even in his dreams, he had never thought he could date the tall male. Of course it was not real. But Kyungsoo would make sure to enjoy it and maybe this time his feelings would be understood. When the doorbell rang, Kyungsoo dashed down the stairs and opened the door, almost ripping it off its hinges. Chanyeol was there, smiling and holding flowers in his hands. “Hi,” he said. “Oh, these are for you. I didn't know if Baby Boy would bring something... so... yeah... Here.” He handed Kyungsoo the flowers and scratched the back of his neck, a slight blush on his cheeks.

“Err... Th-Thank you...” Kyungsoo was blushing too. “Do you wanna come in?” he asked., wondering why the atmosphere seemed so awkward.

“I'd like to, but we have to leave soon unless we wanna be late for the movie.”

“Okay. Give me five minutes.” That being said, Kyungsoo went to the kitchen and put the flowers in a vase, then grabbed his coat and got out. “I'm ready,” he told his boyfriend for the night.

“Great, let's go,” said boyfriend exclaimed joyfully.

“Are we walking?” the short male asked as they started heading for the theater.

“Unless you don't wanna...”

“No, its fine.” They walked, both silent and awkward. “So... Err... Which movie are we gonna watch?” the younger boy asked, trying to break the silence.

“You'll see when we'll be there,” his friend answered and both boys became silent once more. “It's kinda cold, don't you think?” the older male suddenly exclaimed.

“It is. But I like it. I wish it was snowing.”

“Yeah, snow is beautiful,” Chanyeol agreed, smiling happily.

Kyungsoo chuckled, thinking about the way his friend would always act like a cute puppy every time he would see snow. The atmosphere seemed to be less awkward. He's still Chanyeol, Kyungsoo reminded himself. Plus, it's just a game for him. I don't need to take it too much to heart. His logical thoughts disappeared seconds later when Chanyeol's fingers accidentally brushed against his. The younger boy's heart almost jumped out of his chest at the contact. “Sorry...” Chanyeol muttered. Of course he didn't mean to touch my hand, Kyungsoo thought. “What for?” he asked nevertheless. The taller male once again touched his fingers then slowly grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers. “That.” Omo, omo, omo!, the younger was screaming in his head. He's holding my hand! He didn't expect something like that. He knew his friend would do his best to try and help him, but this was much more than what he thought Chanyeol would be willing to do. Maybe he'll kiss me too, the boy hoped. Stop! Don't get your hopes up! But this was a great feeling. Both males were walking hand in hand, as if they were a real couple. Some people were looking at them but they didn't seem disgusted by the sight of two males holding hands. And Chanyeol didn't seem bothered at all by it. They arrived at the theater. When Kyungsoo took his wallet out to pay for his ticket, Chanyeol stopped him. “It's on me.”

“No, it's okay. I can...”

“I said it's on me,” the taller male interrupted him.

“But... Why?”

“I'm your boyfriend, remember?” He smiled sweetly at his friend, paid and dragged a dumbfounded Kyungsoo inside the theater. They sat down and waited for the movie to start. The younger male realized he had still no idea what they were about to watch. “So...Which movie is it?”

“You'll know soon,” his friend answered. Before Kyungsoo could express how annoyed Chanyeol's answer made him, the tall male smiled innocently at him. “By the way Kyungsoo,” he started, “why don't you talk a bit about you?”

The shorter boy was confused. “Huh?”

“I don't know you very well and I'd like us to be friends. Very good friends.” He smirked after his statement.

“Chanyeol!” the other boy cried, feeling embarrassment wash over him at his friend's words and at the way people in the room were now looking at them. Whispering, he added, “Why are you...” Chanyeol shushed him by putting a finger on his lips. “I'm not Chanyeol tonight,” he whispered in a seducing tone. Then he frowned and added, thinking out loud. “Who am I?”

“Huh?” Kyungsoo couldn't think straight with Chanyeol's finger still pressed against his lips.

“What's my name?” The tall male eyed his friend curiously. Said friend turned his head towards the boy who had just spoken, freeing his lips and his mind from the almost magical power that had controlled him. “Chanyeol,” he deadpanned.

“Stop joking Soo!” the older male said, laughing. “What's Baby Boy's name?”

“I'm not gonna call you by his name,” the embarrassed male stated. Okay, I'm a liar. I'll call you by his name. But I can't tell you it's his name because it's you. You are Baby Boy. And I'm... Wait! “Let's call him Chanyeol,” he said after a moment of hesitation.

“But... It's my name,” the older male stated, starting to feel confused.

“Yeah, I know.” Kyungsoo looked at his friend intently, trying to notice a change that would tell him the boy had understood what his words implied. Now he knows!, he thought when the other opened his eyes widely. They were now so wide it was almost comical. “Oh! Y-You... You don't want to call me by his name... Am I not good enough?”

Kyungsoo could see he had just hurt his friend. He panicked. “No, no, no! You're wrong!” he exclaimed, no longer caring if people were staring at them. “I... It just feels strange. And I'm here with you so I just wanna call you by your name. I mean, I know I said it's like a rehearsal and you can pretend you're him but it was wrong. You don't have to be him. You're Chanyeol and nobody else.”

Said boy looked up, a shy smile on his face. “Soo...”

“Hmm?”

“I...” Chanyeol was looking in his friend's eyes. He gulped. “I...” Just then, the lights went out and the movie began. It turned out Chanyeol had chosen a romantic comedy. He really tries to make it feel like a date, Kyungsoo thought. Yet, had Chanyeol asked him at the end what had happened in the movie, he would have realized his friend had paid no attention at all. The shorter boy couldn't concentrate. He kept thinking about Chanyeol's last words. What was he about to say when the lights had gone out? It bothered him to no end. And Chanyeol didn't help him concentrate. As the movie had just begun, he had decided it was the right time to mess with Kyungsoo's head as he had gently taken his hand and had kept the back of it with his thumb through the whole movie. Thus, Kyungsoo had no idea what the movie had been about. At the end, they got out, Chanyeol still holding his friend's hand. “When will you let go?” the latter asked, finally gathering the courage to speak.

“I don't know,” his best friend answered, “maybe when we'll be at your house.”

“Maybe?”

The older male chuckled. “Time will tell.”

“By the way Chanyeol, what were you saying when the movie began?”

“Huh? Err... I... I just wanted to thank you.”

“What for?” Kyungsoo asked, genuinely surprised.

“For being the best friend I'll ever have.”

Kyungsoo blushed furiously. “No problem.”

They spent the rest of their walk back in silence. Kyungsoo felt happy and sad at the same time. It had been a great night. But the end was near and it saddened him to no end. He didn't know if he would still be able to pretend he just wanted to be friends with Chanyeol. He wanted more and his desire seemed harder to resist now that he knew how it felt like to be Chanyeol's boyfriend. I have to find a way to make him realize my feelings, the boy thought. “We're here,” the tall boy said and Kyungsoo realized they were in front of his house. Chanyeol walked him to the front door. “So... Err... G'night Soo.”

“Do you wanna come in?” the younger male shyly asked. “I could make us some hot cocoa.”

“I don't think you'd invite Baby Boy in on your first date so I'm gonna say no. But it would have been great.”

“Oh, okay.” Kyungsoo felt disappointed. “Goodnight then.”

“'Night Soo.” Chanyeol quickly leaned forward and kissed Kyungsoo's cheek. “Sweet dreams!” he whispered in the boy's ear, then left an embarrassed Kyungsoo in front of his house. A few meters away, he suddenly turned around and walked to his friend once more. “D-Did you forget something?” the latter asked, still in a daze after what had happened only seconds ago. Chanyeol didn't answer, but instead he lifted Kyungsoo's chin; he leaned down and kissed him on the lips. The younger froze. His crush's lips were pressed against his. He had dreamt of it thousand times but it felt so much better in real life. He didn't want to think about the reasons behind the kiss. He just wanted to feel Chanyeol's mouth moving against his. The kiss only lasted a few seconds but Kyungsoo felt like hours had passed. At the same time, it felt too short. He wanted this kiss to last forever. But Chanyeol pulled back. He blinked several times, as if waking up from a dream and his cheeks soon turned a deep shade of red, just like Kyungsoo's. “'Night,” the tall male quickly said before walking - almost running – away. What was that?, Kyungsoo wondered, fingers brushing against his still warm lips. 

 

 

A/N: here is chapter 4! Hope you didn't mind the wait. I didn't know if I would be able to update this week but finally I did it. =) 

Thanks for your comments, I'm always happy to know your thoughts. 

Chapter 5 is on the way. See you there~