Chapter Sixteen

Bent, Not Broken

By the time KyuJong left JungMin for the night and headed back to his own apartment (without ever returning to JungMin's place), he'd made up his mind. The best thing he could do for their situation was to remove himself from it for a while. Not a break-up…just some time away, to think, and give SungMin time to get the help JungMin said he needed. It would be hard, but he had to learn to trust his boyfriend.

It had been years since he'd gone back home to Jeonju.

YoungSaeng hadn't been there when he got back to the apartment, worrying KyuJong a little. Calling his best friend, there was no reply, the phone ringing before going to voicemail. It was probably a good thing…YoungSaeng wouldn't be able to talk him out of it. And his friend could take care of himself.

It took a bit of arranging to get enough time off work, but having a flawless record on the job worked in his favor this time. By the time he fell asleep, he had booked his train tickets and phoned his parents to let them know he was making a surprise visit back home. EunAh had nearly gone through the roof when she found out her big brother would be back in Jeonju by late afternoon.

The following morning he spent packing. With two hours left before he had to catch his train, KyuJong sat down on his bed and tried phoning YoungSaeng again. There had still been no sign of the older man.

Sighing softly when he got voicemail — he would have preferred talking to YoungSaeng directly — KyuJong left a quick message. "Hey, Saeng…I'm uh, I'm going back home to Jeonju for a while. I've got about two weeks off of work, so I'll be back once that's over. Take care of yourself, don't forget to eat, you workoholic. Bye." He ended the call, before scrolling through his phone to JungMin's name.

Chewing on his lower lip, his shoulders slumped a little as he pressed the 'call' button and held the phone up to his ear.

The line rang a few times before it was picked up, the sound of sheets rustling as JungMin sat up. "Kyu? Hey, something wrong?" he asked, his voice in a near whisper. SungMin was still asleep beside him. "It's... really early."

KyuJong couldn't help the small smile at JungMin's voice, even if it was very tired. That had been one thing he'd always found funny about them…how KyuJong was a complete morning person, but you couldn't pay JungMin to wake up before noon. Maybe with some time to himself, he'd be able to remember those good points more clearly. "Hi…I just wanted to let you know, I'm going back to Jeonju in a couple hours. So…I won't be around for a while."

"You're... what?" JungMin blinked, rubbing at his face to wake up a bit more. He'd only gone to bed a couple of hours before having worked most of the night. "You're going where? For how long? Is everything okay?"

"I’m going back home….I've got two weeks off of work. Everything's fine, I just…need some time away."

"But... can we talk about this? I mean... it's just so sudden," JungMin said, his shoulders slumping. "Can I see you before you go? You're coming back right?"

KyuJong chewed on his lower lip, gaze on the floor. "Of course I'm coming back. You said it yourself yesterday…we just need time. I'm catching the train in a couple hours, need to head down to the station soon."

"I'm coming over," JungMin said, grabbing his pants from off the floor. "Don't leave, please, until I get there? I just... I need to see you okay?"

"I'm just going for a couple weeks, Min…" KyuJong listened to the rustling on the other side of the phone. "I'll be back, I promise."

"A couple weeks is a couple weeks too long Kyu," JungMin said, pulling up his pants. "I'm coming over just stay there. I just... I want to see you before you go. Please."

KyuJong knew he should say no, but JungMin's voice uttering please stopped him. Either way, JungMin wouldn't be able to stop him from leaving for Jeonju, not when KyuJong knew he was doing the right thing. Sighing softly, he nodded. "…Okay."

"I'll be right there, ten minutes tops," JungMin said, hanging up his phone and tossing it on the bed while he scrounged for a clean shirt. He didn't bother waking SungMin since he'd likely be back home before the other man woke anyway. Finding something moderately clean, he snatched up his phone and keys before leaving.

The ride over on the train seemed an interminable amount of time, but JungMin was pretty accurate in his time estimate, and was pressing the door buzzer for KyuJong's place just over ten minutes from when he'd left his apartment.

Rolling his suitcase to the doorway, KyuJong stopped and picked up the phone. He already knew who it was. "Hi Min," he said quietly, pressing the button to let his boyfriend in.

JungMin blew out a sigh of relief, pulling open the door and starting up the stairs. He hadn't been entirely sure that KyuJong would still be there. Within seconds he was at the door, not even bothering to knock and trying the handle. When it swung open, he stepped in. "Kyu..." he breathed, closing the door behind him even as he reached for KyuJong to pull him into a kiss.

Turning towards the door when it opened, KyuJong made a surprised noise into the kiss before returning it. His arms wrapped tightly around JungMin's waist, hands pressing against his back and eyes closing tightly.

He pulled back after a moment, looking into JungMin's eyes. KyuJong was dressed to travel, wearing a light jacket, his favorite hat and his shoes. "Sorry I woke you up," he whispered.

"I'm glad you did," JungMin said, shaking his head. "Why do you have to go Kyu? Why can't we work this out without you leaving the city?" Even as he was talking he was nudging KyuJong away from the door.

But KyuJong stood his ground this time, not letting JungMin move him more than a foot. "Because you were right…we need time, time to sort things out. At the very least, you'll be able to help your friend without dealing with me and my paranoia." He forced a small smile.

"... This isn't what I had in mind," JungMin said, looking over KyuJong's features. "You promise you're coming back?"

"I promise," KyuJong nodded. "I love you, Min…that's why I have to do this. It'll be good for us." He reached up, fixing JungMin's bed hair. "I…have to trust you, have to learn to trust you."

JungMin sighed, resting his forehead against KyuJong's and closing his eyes. "I'll miss you... Can I call you at least?"

KyuJong let his own eyes close. "You can call," he whispered. "Try not to break your phone bill." He brushed his lips softly against JungMin's. "I have to go."

"You said you have a couple hours still," JungMin said, pouting a little, his grip tightening on KyuJong's hips.

"I still have to get down to the station," KyuJong murmured. "And you can't convince me not to go, Min. I'm serious about this."

"The station doesn't take an hour to get to," JungMin said, kissing KyuJong lightly. "I know you're serious Kyu, I just want to hold you for a little bit longer."

Returning the kiss, KyuJong rested his cheek against JungMin's shoulder and closed his eyes. "Take care of yourself while I'm gone," he said softly. "Don't eat just ramyeon, okay?"

"But I like ramyeon," JungMin said, burying his nose against KyuJong's neck. "You sure you can't wait just.. fifteen more minutes? I'm not ready for you to go yet."

"And you'll be ready in fifteen minutes?" KyuJong ran his hand slowly along the younger man's back.

"No, but I'll take what I can get," JungMin said, pressing light kisses to KyuJong's neck.

"You're going to make it worse," KyuJong whispered, not moving his cheek from JungMin's shoulder. "Ten minutes, then I go."

"Okay," JungMin quirked a smile, pressing more kisses to KyuJong's neck as he slid a hand up the back of KyuJong's shirt. "I love you."

"I love you too," KyuJong murmured, biting his lower lip at the wandering hand. "Min…don't."

"Don't what?" JungMin replied softly, pulling back a little so he could get better access to KyuJong's neck. "I'm going to miss you so much Kyu... I need you."

A couple days ago KyuJong would have let JungMin do what he wanted, but now he shook his head slowly. "I'll miss you too, Min…Min, please listen," he whispered, pulling back enough to cup JungMin's face with both hands and get the younger man to look at him.

"We're doing this properly, right? Our first time isn't going to be less than ten minutes with me rushing out after." He kissed JungMin, trying to hide the trembling of his lower lip. "I'm trusting you to wait for me."

As much as he didn't want to admit it, JungMin knew KyuJong was right. Being with KyuJong was what he wanted, and he wanted to do it right. Not a rushed ten minute grapple before KyuJong left. "You're right," he sighed, covering KyuJong's hands with his own. "You can trust me. I'll wait for you, and be here when you get back, ready and waiting... and probably as hell."

That coaxed a laugh out of KyuJong, eyes misty as he laced his fingers with JungMin's. "Don't forget to actually say hi before you start stripping me down in the hallway," he murmured.

"I'll try my best," JungMin chuckled, leaning in for another kiss before pulling away. "I wish you wouldn't go... but if you think this is what you need.. what we need, then I'm not going to stop you. I'm trying to do right by you Kyu. You can trust me."

"Thank you," KyuJong smiled at him. "I love you, Min…this'll be worth it, promise. Are you going to let me go now?"

"If I have to," JungMin said, slowly letting go of KyuJong's hands. "You want me to go with you to the station? Or would that be too hard for you."

"I'd…rather start crying here than in public," KyuJong gave a watery chuckle, wiping at his eyes. "Go home…get some sleep."

"Okay, call me when you get home," JungMin said, leaning in for another quick kiss. "I'll help you with your bag," he said when he finally pulled away, grabbing KyuJong's suitcase by the handle.

"Thank you." Picking up his backpack and slinging it over his shoulder, KyuJong took one last look around the apartment before heading out into the hallway. It took him a minute to lock up before they took the elevator back down to the lobby.

When they reached the street, KyuJong turned around and wrapped his arms around JungMin in a tight hug. "I'll see you in a couple weeks," he said.

"You better, and you better not come home with some hot country boy," JungMin said, returning the hug. "Don't forget about me."

"No country boy could beat you." KyuJong closed his eyes for a moment before pulling back. "I won't forget about you if you don't forget about me…deal?" He flagged down a passing taxi.

"Deal," JungMin snorted. "As if anyone could forget you and your legs." When a taxi finally stopped in front of them, JungMin opened the door for KyuJong. "I'll call you."

"I'll let you know when I get there," KyuJong smiled at his boyfriend, loading his suitcase and backpack into the taxi before slipping into the seat. "Bye, Min."

"Bye Kyu," JungMin said, closing the taxi door for him. He waved as the car pulled away from the curb and he sighed heavily. Two weeks was a long time. In the end it would be worth it because time apart should do them good. Didn't mean it any less. The real problem would be not falling back into old habits and JungMin felt like he could really use a drink right about then.

Hands in his pockets, JungMin turned and started down the street. He barely noticed the walk back to the train, or even the ride back to his place until he was stepping in the door. Maybe it had all been a bad dream and he'd wake up any second to find out that KyuJong was still at home and he'd see his boyfriend later that day. Soon as his head hit the pillow back on his bed though he knew it wasn't. Maybe he'd just be able to sleep the two weeks until KyuJong got back. He'd stay out of trouble for sure that way.

 

 

 

 

For a few brief seconds as he woke, YoungSaeng wasn't entirely sure as to where he was. It was familiar, but definitely not his bedroom. Two things clued him in as to where he was, one being the distinct smell of cologne and the other a warm body pressed against his back. When he finally realized that he was in HyunJoong's bed, his stomach clenched tightly into a knot. It was the first time he had spent the night in another man's bed that wasn't KyuJong's and though they hadn't slept together, his cheeks still reddened at the thought of what they had done.

Easing his legs out from under the covers, YoungSaeng tried to sit up but was hampered down by HyunJoong's arm gripping his waist tightly. "Hyun..." he murmured sleepily, poking the sleeping man in the ribs. "Wake up."

HyunJoong mumbled in his sleep, barely responding to the poke. If anything, his arm tightened around YoungSaeng's waist and he buried his face against YoungSaeng's bare shoulder before continuing to doze.

"Ow," YoungSaeng winced as he tried to push at HyunJoong's arm. "Hyun, you're hurting me," he complained nudging him again a little harder.

Groaning quietly, HyunJoong's eyelids fluttered slightly and he loosened his grip a little, moving his arm up to YoungSaeng's chest. "Sorry," he mumbled, still not letting go.

"You're impossible to wake up," YoungSaeng sighed, giving up and trying to settle back into the bed. "I should probably go soon."

"One of my charms," HyunJoong replied sleepily, finally cracking one eye open at YoungSaeng. "What's the rush?"

"KyuJong's probably blowing up my phone wondering where I am," YoungSaeng said, turning a little so he could look at HyunJoong. "Your hair's a mess."

"I was asleep. Yours is too, anyways." HyunJoong lifted his arm from YoungSaeng's chest to absently brush down the dark locks of hair. "Morning."

Taking that opportunity to sit up, YoungSaeng brushed his hand through his hair. "Morning. I really wasn't planning on staying the night."

"You know you can stay over whenever you want." HyunJoong rolled onto his back, rubbing his eyes to wake up a little more.

"I don't know if I'll make a habit of it," YoungSaeng said, lips quirking a little. "But... last night was nice." He turned a little leaning on one hand as he looked down at HyunJoong. "It's not fair that you can look this good just waking up."

HyunJoong peered up at YoungSaeng with a sleepy grin. "I thought my hair was a mess." He reached up with one hand, tucking his fingers under YoungSaeng's chin and drawing him down into a kiss.

YoungSaeng just about melted into that sleepy kiss, shifting so he could support his weight better and not crash down on top of HyunJoong. Okay, so maybe waking up with someone in bed had it's perks. "You still manage to somehow make that look good," he murmured around the kiss.

"Years of practice," HyunJoong replied cheekily, fingers tucking YoungSaeng's hair behind his ear. "Stay for a while?"

"Only if you feed me," YoungSaeng chuckled. "I should really call KyuJong before he calls the cops though."

"Call your friend then, and I'll call for some food," HyunJoong gave a lop-sided smile, kissing YoungSaeng again before slowly shifting to sit up. "And maybe shower. Unless you want to join me."

"... I.." YoungSaeng wanted to, he really did. Any way that he could admire HyunJoong's body up close and all slippery and wet... He shook his head, turning away as his cheeks heated up again. "We'll see."

Watching YoungSaeng, HyunJoong's lips quirked in amusement. "I'll see you in a few." He leaned over to brush his lips against YoungSaeng's temple before climbing out of bed and going to hunt for some clean clothes.

It was difficult for YoungSaeng not to watch HyunJoong as he moved around the room. One side of him was wanting to jump and tackle HyunJoong to the floor and not let him up for a few hours, while the other side wanted to run away as quickly as possibly. It was the side that sounded like his father, telling him to go find a nice girl to settle down with. It was the side that was slowly losing the battle the more time YoungSaeng spent with HyunJoong and became more comfortable with who he was.

Reaching over to find his pants, YoungSaeng checked his pockets for his phone, expecting to see at least twenty missed calls. He was a little surprised when there was only a couple from his roommate. Listening to his messages, his expression downturned into a frown and hung up before the message had even finished, dialing KyuJong number.

It took a few rings before KyuJong picked up on the other end. "Hello?" He asked, quiet voice almost overrun by the noise in the background. The chatter of other people, and the constant hum of an engine. "YoungSaeng?"

"Kyu? What the hell is going on?" YoungSaeng asked, scowling at the floor. "What happened? Whose do I have to kick?"

"You don't have to kick anyone's ," KyuJong sighed into the phone. "I just need some time away, I'm sorry…I tried to call you last night but you didn't pick up. I'll be back in two weeks."

"...Two weeks?" YoungSaeng replied, flabbergasted. "Kyu, talk to me, what happened? You can't leave me alone for two weeks, I'll starve."

"I'll just have to call every mealtime and not leave you alone until you eat something," KyuJong tried to tease his best friend, but his voice wavered. "We decided we need some time to sort things out, that's all. This was my idea, so don't you dare go beat up anybody but me."

"But something had to have happened for you to want to spend time apart, you guys seemed okay yesterday?" YoungSaeng said, shoulders slumping. "Why couldn't you have waited until I got home so we could talk about this?"

"If I waited, he would have found some way to talk me out of it. Or you would have. I…this is something I have to do, Saeng. I know it might not make much sense right now, but we need some space apart."

"Well... if you think this is for the best," YoungSaeng sighed. "But you better call me every day okay? And I don't care what you say, I'm still kicking his next time I see him."

"Saeng, don't," KyuJong sighed. "You take care of yourself, okay? Where are you, anyways?"

"I'm... at HyunJoong's," YoungSaeng said, glancing towards the bathroom door. "I spent the night."

"…Oh?" KyuJong was surprised. "That's…that's awesome! How're you feeling? You guys didn't…"

"No... no, we didn't," YoungSaeng shook his head. "I kind of chickened out on him. I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm the most frustrating person he's ever met. I don't know how I'm feeling yet. I'm okay I guess? I don't know. Maybe I'm rushing into all this."

"You do what you feel is right, Saeng. Go at your own pace…if he's worth it, he'll understand and stick around. And if he isn't worth it, I'll come back from Jeonju and beat him up for you."

"I'll beat him up myself," YoungSaeng snorted. "I should probably go. I'll talk to you later right?"

"Yeah. I'll let you know I got home in one piece. Saeng…call me whenever, my phone's always open to you, okay?"

"Okay, and same goes for you too," YoungSaeng said, saying his goodbyes before hanging up the phone. He sighed a little as he placed his phone on the beside table, not sure what to do. He had hoped he'd be able to talk to KyuJong later about what had happened and how to move forward. That would have to wait until KyuJong got back, and hopefully things wouldn't explode in YoungSaeng's face before then.

Getting to his feet, he eyed the bathroom door for a moment before approaching it. The problem with going at his own pace meant he wanted to run away most times, and that wasn't helping anyone least of all himself. Pushing the door open, he peeked his head in, making HyunJoong's form out from behind the shower door. "Okay if I come in?" he asked, wondering if he could even be heard over the sound of the water.

There was a pause, and the shower door slid open enough for HyunJoong to look out. "Hm? Of course."

"Just making sure," YoungSaeng said, approaching the shower. "Didn't want to surprise you or anything." Sliding in, he closed the shower door behind him and leaned up against the shower wall. "I think I just wanted an excuse to look at you some more."

HyunJoong snorted in amusement, watching YoungSaeng as he washed his hair. "Just look?"

"If that's alright with you?" YoungSaeng replied, lips curled in amusement. He wasn't even hiding the fact that his eyes were wandering.

"Why wouldn't it be?" HyunJoong smirked, continuing what he was doing. "Your friend wasn't too mad at you?"

"No, he's actually heading out of town," YoungSaeng said. "I think he got in another fight with his boyfriend so he's left me alone for two weeks."

"Oh," HyunJoong frowned. "If you need company, my place is always open. Or I could come over."

"I don't know... KyuJong might not be happy with me bringing strange men home while he's out of town," YoungSaeng said, lips quirking a little. "And I have a lot of work to do still."

HyunJoong rinsed the shampoo out of his hair, blinking the water out of his eyes. "I can try not to be a distraction," his grin was cheeky as he stepped closer to YoungSaeng. "Won't even notice I'm there."

"Impossible, you are the definition of distraction," YoungSaeng replied, eyes finally working their way back up to meet HyunJoong's. "You're too hot not to look at."

"Well I'm not going to be walking around without any clothes on," HyunJoong smirked. He brushed the damp hair out of YoungSaeng's eyes. "Most of the time anyways."

"Doesn't matter," YoungSaeng said, bring up a hand to run over HyunJoong's chest. "I'll just be imagining you if you aren't."

"Well I can't do anything about that." HyunJoong drew YoungSaeng closer, brushing his lips against the other man's.

"You could try," YoungSaeng replied, snaking his arms around HyunJoong's neck. He tried for a more solid kiss, hips bumping against the older man's.

HyunJoong inhaled sharply, deepening the kiss and leaning YoungSaeng against the shower wall. "You're such a tease, you know that?" he murmured, nipping at YoungSaeng's lower lip.

"I think you've mentioned that," YoungSaeng replied, humming at the kiss. "I hope I don't frustrate you too much."

"Only sometimes," HyunJoong ducked his head to press kisses to YoungSaeng's jaw and neck, following a drop of water. "I'm trying to be good here, you don't always make it easy on me."

"I know... I'm trying to get better," YoungSaeng replied, letting his head roll back against the shower wall. "You're helping me with that more than you know."

"Glad to be of help," HyunJoong murmured, hands running up and down YoungSaeng's sides. "Just so you know, you're one of the most gorgeous guys I've met. I don't hand out compliments freely, so you're not allowed to deny it." His hands settled on YoungSaeng's hips, bringing their hips together.

YoungSaeng couldn't help the shudder at that, eyes darkening as he looked at HyunJoong. "I'll take your word for it," he replied, leaning forward to kiss HyunJoong again.

HyunJoong deepened the kiss, pinning YoungSaeng to the shower wall and pressing up against him. At this rate they'd end up having a repeat of the night before, but neither of them seemed to be complaining. As long as they got out of the shower before the water turned cold, that is.

 

 


 

Both HyunSaeng and KyuMin have a lot to work on, but what do you think? Are they getting there, or are they just making things worse?

Please comment, favorite and subscribe if you like the story!

 

@Jasminscent: Thank you for the comment hun <3 Hope it was worth the wait!

@Forest_pixi: Yeahh everything in KyuMin needs sorting out. They're both to some degree to blame for what's going on (and SungMin's not making things any easier, even if he isn't trying to sleep with JungMin). Question is, is KyuJong's decision to take some time off for better, or for worse? Your comments always make our day bb, hope you're doing well <33 Hope the midterm assignments went okay!!

@LovelyYS: Hope you liked the HyunSaeng in this update ^^ I can't say they'll be in every update, but since they're one of the 3 main pairings they'll be around a lot.

@ping501: Looks like Saeng wasn't ready after all xD;; And KyuMin have their own issues to work through. SungMin may not be trying to get between them, but his presence is definitely a source of tension. Thank you for the comment! <3

@tehreem: It may take a while ^^;; We'll see~ thanks for the comment!