Investigation

Testing Times

 

Yoona had never jumped so high upon hearing her own doorbell ring. It was like the bells of the cathedral were being tolled. Tae couldn't stop laughing as Yoona became flustered and nervous, she straightened her skirt and walked to the door. Taking a deep breath she opened it, trying to act nonchalant.

Yoona: Heyyyy, how are ya?

Jessica: Hiii, good, you?

Yoona: Goooood good.

Yoona smiled brightly, she thought Jessica looked y in her casual outfit. Her mind slipped back to her thoughts of Jessica in the shower. Yoona purred playfully.

Yoona: Mmmmmmmmmm.

Jessica: Whaaat?

Yoona: Hmmm? Ohh nothing, come in.

She smiled a cheesey grin as Jessica stepped in. Yoona slid her arm around her waist, pulling her in for a little hello kiss. Jessica pulled back after the initial contact.

Jessica: Yoona! We shouldn't...

Yoona: It's okay, Tae knows... I told her.

Jessica: You did what?

Yoona: Chill... it's okay.

Tae walked around the corner and saw them, causing Jessica to step away from Yoona nervously. This was going to take some getting used to.

Tae: Heyyy Jessica, great to see you.

Jessica: Hi Tae... I'm so sorry to hear about..

Jessica hugged Tae tight, Yoona looking on and smiling.

Tae: Thanks Jess, I'm okay, we'll get through it.

They all went into the kitchen and sat around chatting about things. Jessica purposely kept her distance from Yoona, still dealing with the whole comfort thing, in front of a friend, WITH a friend. It was almost 6pm and Yoona invited Jess to stay for dinner, she was going to get some takeout to bring back. Jessica accepted of course, and excused herself to go to the bathroom. While in there, Yoona recruited Tae for a fact finding mission.

Yoona: Can you do me a favour Tae.

Tae: Well that depends on if you want me to grill Jess for information about her feelings or not.

Yoona: Okay... see... that whole mind reading thing... you should use that power for good, instead of evil.

Tae: In other words, use it on Jess?

Yoona raised her eyebrows and chewed on her drinking straw as she tried to act the innocent. She yelled out to Jessica that she'd be back soon, gave Tae a kiss on her forehead and told her not to make it TOO obvious. Tae nodded and motioned for Yoona to go already. Jessica came back and sat on the couch with Tae. There was an awkward silence, as if Jessica knew what was coming since they were alone. Tae began tentatively.

Tae: So Jess, Yoona mentioned that you and her had an interesting conversation last night.

When she said the word conversation she signalled quotation marks with her fingers, by way of highlighting the "conversation" was a little more than just words. Jessica blushed and giggled nervously.

Jessica: Ohhh... yeah we ummm...

Jessica swallowed hard as she tried to form the right words.

Tae: It's okay Jess, certainly nothing to be ashamed of, you know me.

Jessica: I know... I know it’s just that I'm so used to telling Yoona about this kinda thing and she always comes back with some catty remark. This is soooo confusing, not like anything I've had to face before.

Tae gave Jessica a comforting rub on her arm as she opened up her thoughts to Tae.

Tae: Anything new is confusing, no matter what the history is behind the two people involved. But personally... I think it's wonderful. You know deep down that as a friend Yoona loves you right?

Jessica: ... Yeeeaah?

Tae: So there you have it. If this thing you are starting with her is grounded in love, then in a lot of ways, it’s going to be a lot easier. There's no nervous getting-to-know-you phase, no wondering if she likes you, you should already know that part.

Jessica: Yeah I know, but I'm finding it far from easy. There's still a lot I don't know about her... particularly her romantic side...

Tae: But that's the fun part that will be interesting to find out, ya know? Otherwise there'd be no challenge, and well, you might as well just get married right now.

They both giggled, then Tae realised what she said and became quiet. Jessica noticed the change in mood and gave her friend a hug.

Jessica: I'm sorry, maybe we shouldn't talk about this kinda thing, considering...

Tae: It's okay Jess, we're working through things slowly, strong foundations keep the shakiest buildings standing.

Jessica smiled and felt comforted by Tae's outlook. Anything can work out if you do it right, and she really wanted to do things right with Yoona.

Jessica: Maybe I should talk to Yoona more before I start dismissing this in my mind before its even begun.

Tae nodded in agreement and patted Jessica 's hand.

Tae: There you go girl, now you're using your head. Everything is scary if you over-think it, just let nature take its course, go with the flow, let it happen. Talk to her. Start the communication early, you'll both benefit it in the long run.

Jessica: You're right Tae, thanks.

They hugged again. Jessica had a thoughtful expression on her face and Tae noticed, smiling, she knew what Jess was thinking. That damn mind reading again, for good Tae, not evil, remember. She reminded herself of Yoona 's words.

Tae: You're wondering what she's thinking now aren't you. You wanna know what I know hehe.

Jessica blushed and laughed, trying to deny it.

Jessica: Noooo, no no... well maybe... what... you mean she's told you things about me?

Tae: Hun don't be so shocked, she normally tells you, but ummmm yeah she can't, so she had to tell someone.

Jessica: So spill it, what did she say? Is it good, bad, what... tell me.

Right on cue, Yoona returned with the food. Tae and Jessica both stared at her as she walked in.

Yoona: Whaaaaat?

They both giggled and reassured Yoona that it was nothing, setting up the table for dinner. After they'd finished eating the small talk began and soon became a counselling session for Jess and Yoona as Tae tried to help them make sense of their new beginning.

Tae: You know I love you both right, and I wouldn't be any kind of friend if I didn't try and help you both with your new adventure.

Jessica and Yoona both looked at each other nervously and spoke at the same time.

Jessica: Tae I...

Yoona: Tae I...

Tae: Listen, I'm not going to be a go-between for you, especially when from what you both tell me, you're pretty much on the same wavelength. I think the best thing you can do is talk to each other. I understand that for relationship things, you used to confide in each other, and now that's kinda hard to do since well, you know.

They both nodded in agreement, exchanging nervous glances.

Tae: But I will say this. You two were going to go out to dinner, like a date?

Yoona: Yeah, I mean we gotta start somewhere, and I wanna take this seriously.

Jessica grinned and felt her heart beating faster as she looked at Yoona and heard her words. This was the reassurance she was looking for.

Tae: I understand that, what I'm suggesting is this. Dates are for people to get to know each other. You two are so familiar... why don't you just cut to the chase and be together?

Jessica: Oh my God... Tae do you mean.

Yoona laughed, struggling to hold back one of her usual smart-assed comments.

Tae: Noooo Jess, I don't just mean to hop in the sack and go for it. I mean that you should not be so formal, maybe not call it "dating". Just go out and talk, like you'd normally do with a friend, which you two are, and hopefully will always be.

Yoona: Ummm isn't that what we're going to do?

Tae: Noooo... you two were going to go on a date and talk pleasantries, then come back and ask me what the other said about them.

Yoona and Jessica both blushed and noticed the other blushing. Tae got up and started clearing the dishes. She kept talking as she cleaned.

Tae: I think you both should talk, tonight, get all your feelings out now, good, bad, whatever. Because believe me, it's more time consuming going through a third person, and well, that will cut in on all the fun you could be having.

Tae wiggled her eyebrows and smiled. Yoona and Jessica both laughed at the realisation. Neither had thrown much thought to the whole thing. God if they were that awkward about the talking, and the kissing, then the ... oh Lord. Yoona shook herself from her thoughts.

Yoona: You're right Tae. We should do this, we're adults...

They hugged, Jessica joined in and they were giggling in a group hug. Then silence... they stood still in the hug, Tae pulled her head back and looked at Jessica.

Jessica: Yoon... is that your hand on my ?

Yoona grinned and gave a squeeze making Jessica jump out of the hug, the group bursting into giggles.

Tae: On that note, I'll make myself scarce, I'm gonna go out for a while, say hi to someone...

Yoona: Tiffany?

Tae didn't answer, only smiling. Yoona went to speak.

Tae: I'll be okay, I'll call if I need you.

Yoona: Okay Tae, your powers are scary... just do me a favour and don't use them on me and Jess in about an hour okay?

Yoona smiled mischievously at Tae, getting slapped on the arm by Jessica.

Yoona: Owwww geez, you're gonna pay for that.

Jessica: Oh really, like how?

Yoona: Well maybe I'll just have to tie you up... at least you won't be able to run away all embarrassed.

Jessica: Yoona!!

Taeyeon headed for the door unnoticed with a smile on her face, having used her powers for good.

 

~ to be continued ~