Questions

Testing Times

 

Watching Yoona drive away, Jessica felt her head swimming with endless questions.

"What was that all about?"... "What did I just do?"... "Where did her kiss come from?"... "And where the hell was MINE hiding?".

Her mind flashed from Yoona to Yuri, and every other relationship she’s had in the past ... she couldn't stop the whirlwind of images and words from consuming her emotions. She took a deep breath to compose herself and headed back inside. This was all too much, sleep wasn't going to happen, Jessica needed to think, now.

She returned to the bedroom where her fiancé lay asleep on the bed still. Jessica placed her hand on Yuri's bare shoulder and whispered that she had to go out for a while. Yuri sat up and began questioning Jess, who could only shake her head and say "I can't explain, I just ... I can't sleep right now, I'll be okay". She got dressed and left saying a quick "bye" without even looking at Yuri, who was now wrestling with her own thoughts and questions.

Jessica got in her car and drove. Where was she headed? She couldn't go to Yoona's ... although she was probably awake too. Jessica decided to head to the gym. It was closed of course, but the parking lot outside had a magnificent garden beside it. She parked her car and turned it off, enjoying a peaceful moment of solitude as she contemplated the events that had taken place.

"OK Jessica, focus, focus". She took a deep breath and put her hands over her eyes, rubbing her face as she started to process her thoughts and actions.

"Was that the REAL Yoona?"... "Was she drunk?"... "Was she crazy?"... "Why did she kiss me?"... "How long had she wanted to do that?".

Jessica ran through every interaction with Yoona that she could remember. She tried to find any hint of previously hidden attraction... comments, touches, looks, anything. Yoona always had a sharp tongue when it came to Jessica, teasing her and making her painfully aware of her dorky shortcomings. Jess recalled the times she would hear Yoona comment "yuck!" whenever she showed affection to Yuri.

Was this her oh-so-subtle way of expressing her wish that SHE was the one with Jessica?

It didn't make sense to Jess, and no amount of thinking could make Yoona's side of the story any clearer. "I have to talk to her" Jessica stated matter of factly.

She took a deep breath and turned the key in the ignition. Jessica went to change gear but a peculiar look spread across her face. "Goddddd!" she exclaimed, turning the engine off and leaning her head forward, gently banging on the steering wheel. She kept her head down and let out a long "grrrrrr!".

"Why did I kiss her back?". Jessica let out a long sigh as she sat up and rested her head back against the seat's headrest. She gazed out the window deep in thought, searching for explanation. Why did she, engaged-to-be-married dorky gym instructor, kiss her gossipy condescending, but undeniably cute best friend? What had changed? Why now?

Jessica's mind flipped back to the kiss. She recalled the moment Yoona finally looked up into her eyes, and they connected briefly. Long enough for Yoona to take the bull by the horns and move in for the kiss. THAT kiss... the feel of Yoona's lips against hers made Jessica close her eyes and sigh again in recollection. She remembered the closeness and the sensation of being in that kiss. The confusion that ran through her head at the realisation of what was taking place.

"YOONA is kissing ME!... what the hell?". On that thought the kiss had ended. Jessica recalled how quiet it soon became, and how awkward the moment was. But most vividly she remembered thinking "hey... don't stop now... I was just getting into that!". From that point on the passion that ensued was a fuzzy tingly blur to Jessica. She knew she was liking it, as much as any other kiss she'd had, but this was Yoona. Why did that make it so different, so unexpected, so damn good?!

Then it hit her... Yoona. It was Yoona, that's why. This was her friend, the woman who had been there for Jessica through thick and thin. And even though Jess felt Yoona was overly critical of her, underneath it all the love and care was always there. She remembered all the times that Yoona would have a laugh at Jessica's expense. It was akin to the notion of a boy teasing and picking on a girl in school, but deep down he actually had the hots for her.

"So that's what this is... she likes me, she actually likes me?" Jessica said, trying not to sound too Sally Field-ish. "Do I like her?" Jessica pondered... "yeah, I do" she said as she nodded. She gripped the steering wheel and grinned as she pictured an image of Yoona's sweet portrait in her mind. She relaxed her hands and caught a glimpse of something that made her heart sink. The contrast in her facial expressions in those 3 seconds of realisation went from a giddy happiness to gut wrenching torment.

"Yuri" she whispered to herself as she spun her shining engagement ring around her finger.

 

~ to be continued ~