Matchmaker Halmeoni

Never Planned to Fall in Love with You [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Welcome 13 new subs!! :D

 

It was a Saturday, and Eunhyuk had a day off. He took his car to the local old folks’ home nearby, intending to visit his grandmother. It had been a while since he paid her a visit, so he remembered to bring along a couple of small gifts for her he knew she’d love. However before setting off he was careful to tweak his hairstyle a bit and don more casual clothes than he’d usually wear as a stylist.

He finally reached the home and greeted the guard cheerfully. A nurse passing by told him where his grandmother was. She had been sitting on a bench in the middle of the garden admiring the spring flowers since early in the morning. Eunhyuk thanked the nurse and noiselessly made his way to the elderly woman, wanting to surprise her.

She never suspected a thing until a couple of birds nearby flew off in fright. Surprised, she whirled around just in time to see Eunhyuk crouching a little, getting ready to take her by surprise with a silly grin on his face. He smiled sheepishly at his ruined surprise and ran up to hug her, smothering the poor old lady in a tight, suffocating hug.

“Halmeoni!!”

“Hyukjae, you came!!”

Halmeoni exclaimed happily and returned the hug, squeezing the man as hard as her elderly frame could. She cupped his smiling face and kissed his cheek multiple times, leaving red lipstick marks all over (yes, she still loved wearing makeup). Eunhyuk giggled and tried wriggling away from her smooches; the comical yet heart-warming scene made the passing nurses and other old folk laugh in amusement.

“Halmeoni, that’s enough,” Eunhyuk whined, rubbing away the lipstick marks he knew she’d left on him. Halmeoni finally settled down on the bench beside her grandson, happily chattering away.

“Hyukjae!! I haven’t seen you for a week!! You’re such a bad boy; you never even gave your poor old Halmeoni a single call!! What happened to you?”

“I’ve been busy with work, Halmeoni. But what matters most is that I’m here with you right now, don’t you think?” Eunhyuk smiled, taking her hand in his and giving it a small squeeze. “I missed you.”

“Aw, I missed you too, Hyukjae,” she cooed, pinching his cheeks. Suddenly she stopped and looked all around him. “Where’s that no good hyung of yours, by the way? Didn’t he come with you?”

“He… Uhh, he told me he couldn’t come with me today, Halmeoni. You know he just opened a new hair salon branch lately. He must be really busy.”

Halmeoni sulked. “Is he that busy that he can’t even spare his poor old Halmeoni a visit, huh Hyukjae? Look at you, you even come to visit me when you’re busy and he can’t even give me ten minutes of his time. Ahh, that boy. He’s such a workaholic. Don’t be like him, Hyukjae-ah. You love your Halmeoni very much now don’t you?”

“Neh, Halmeoni. I believe Eunhyuk-ah loves you very much too,” Eunhyuk answered, patting her hand gently.

“I don’t think so,” Halmeoni wrinkled her nose and looked away. “He’s still the same; he hasn’t changed a bit at all.”

“Don’t be like that, Halmeoni-ah,” Eunhyuk chuckled. “He’s busy, but he loves you a lot. See, he even asked me to give these to you…”

Eunhyuk dug into his pockets and took out a picture of Shinhwa. An autographed picture of Shinhwa, to be precise. He handed the picture to his simply delighted Halmeoni who threw her hands around Eunhyuk’s neck and peppered him with kisses for the second time.

“Oh my goodness, Hyukjae!! I can’t believe you actually got these!! Thank you so much!! Now there’ll be another picture to add to my Shinhwa collection!!”

Eunhyuk laughed at the lapful of Halmeoni. “Actually, hyung specifically requested me to give them to you, so please will you forgive him for not coming today? See, I told you he loves you.”

Halmeoni nodded in delight. “Ahh, Hyukjae you bad boy. You must have told him about my obsession for Shinhwa. He wouldn’t have troubled himself to find out. Thank you, Hyukjae-ah.”

The man scratched his neck, laughing rather awkwardly. “Um, guilty as charged, Halmeoni. I might have mentioned it to him one day without meaning to…”

“It’s okay, that just means I can have more Shinhwa pictures in my collection!! Ahaha, I can’t believe an old woman like me is going crazy for youngsters like Shinhwa. What’s the word you young people use lately? Fanning?”

“You mean fangirling?” Eunhyuk giggled. “Or fanwomaning?”

Halmeoni shrugged. “I don’t know, you figure it out.”

Eunhyuk cleared his throat, smiling in hilarity. “Uh, actually Halmeoni, Shinhwa isn’t very young already. They’re in their late thirties, you know that?”

“Eh, doesn’t make a difference to an old woman like me, Hyukjae-ah.”

“Right. But Halmeoni, you’ll always be the youngest, most beautiful and most attractive woman in my heart; always.”

“Uh-huh, seeing your own preferences as that, I’ll probably be the only woman you ever find beautiful and attractive,” Halmeoni mused, nudging her grandson and giving him a mischievous wink. “I still want great-grandchildren, you know!! I don’t care if you adopt them or not. Which reminds me, Hyukjae. When are you gonna find a nice man and settle down together with him? I can’t wait for my great-grandchildren!!!”

“Halmeoni!!” Eunhyuk exclaimed, turning red in the face. “I’ll find one when I find one. You can’t rush things like that!!”

Halmeoni giggled and pointed to the entrance of the old folks’ home. “Well, you could try getting to know him. He’s a really nice young man,” she giggled again, waving cheerfully to the person she was referring to.

Eunhyuk nearly spluttered when he saw who she was gesturing to. He mumbled his name in disbelief.

“Donghae?”

 

* * *

 

“Halmeoni!!” Donghae yelled, waving frantically at her. He ran towards the old woman who was standing up for a hug and gave her a tight squeeze, making her protest in laughter.

“Aigoo Hae-ah!! You’re squeezing me to death!!” She giggled, pushing away the hugging man. Donghae gave her a huge grin before his eyes travelled to the man standing behind her. His hand flew to his mouth.

“Eunhyuk?”

Eunhyuk stared at him, a ghost of a smile wavering between his lips. Halmeoni mistook the awkward silence as ‘love at first sight’ (she has always been such a romantic) and couldn’t stop giggling to herself.

“Hae-ah, this is my grandson, Hyukjae. Hyukjae, this absolute sweetheart here is Donghae,” she introduced. “Hae-ah is such a dear; he visits us once a week and cooks and cleans for us too!! Sometimes he even trims our hair for us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter