Mun vs. Muse

A Guide to Tumblr KRP

Chapter Vocabulary
Mun - you; the typist; the person in control of the Muse
Muse - the character
Typist - you; the Mun; the person in control of the Muse
IC - in character
OOC - out of character

 

Something that you must know and is often overlooked in any RP genre is the separation and difference between Muse and Mun. While it may be fun to model a Muse exactly after yourself, as it may help you grow closer to your Muse, it is very ill-advised. Please never fail to remember the difference between yourself and the character you're playing! Remember that something someone does IC may or may not be what they would do OOC. Remember that if something isn't marked as out of character, that it was not directed toward you, and not to take it heavily. This is supposed to be fun!

While there's a deep connection between Muse and Mun (they're in your head, of course you're close!), you and your Muse should never be so close as to share everything about each other. Remember that what makes everyone unique is their quirks, hobbies, how they speak, how they carry themselves, etc., and the same goes for your Muse! They should never think exactly how you do, or love everything you love. Remember that the fun lies in making them their own person!

Remember not to take anything personally when it comes to roleplay. You will more than likely come across another Muse that doesn't like your own and may not act too friendly, but keep in mind that that is not someone talking to you, but another Muse talking to yours! If you come across something like this, remember that there's someone else on the other end of the conversation, and they are more than likely a very friendly person! If you ever have any questions pertaining to another's Muse, or their Muse's relationship with your own, you may speak with the Typist out of character and talk it out.