Ch. 2

The Arcade

Minahs POV

Another boring day going through the same routine; waiting for Eunji to get her lazy outta her house, then school. I guess what made today so special was the fact that I was going to be forced to go to a nerd convention against my own will. What does Eunji even see in arcades? It just eats up your money for like 5 minutes of pacman.... I can't even beat pacman, I get to like round 2 before every single little ghost thing decide to gang up on me. That game is the reason I have trust issues.

The bell that ends the day's lessons rung, usually it's music to my ears but today, I knew that bell sounded the beginning of my torture.

"Minah! Minah! Minah! MINAH!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS!?!"

"Time to go home and nap..?" I replied lousily.

"INCORRECT. Its about time for the bell to ring. ABOUT TIME TO GO TO THE OLYMPIC STREET ARCADE." By this time, she was shaking the living life out of me yet again.

I barley had enough time to put all my school items in my bag before Eunji began to drag me out by my arm. Within 3 minutes of the bell ringing, we were already out of the school and running to the arcade. She wanted to get there just in time to see the ribbon be cut, she claims it would be an absolute honor to see this "magical moment" happen live. This is not what i signed up for when i signed our friendship contract, but I guess it's just something im going to have to live with!...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eunji's POV

// I can smell it in the air... the sweet smell of heaven. It's so close i can almost feel the buttons in my hand... If only I could fly like Superman or Pit, that would be a whole lot faster! Why the hell is Minah so slow!? I thought she was like 2nd best in track... //

I was basically dragging Minah by now, but you know the saying, No pain No gain.

Minah and I finally got to the arcade center and were shocked by the amount of people standing outside. You had people ranging from ages 10 to 60. There was maybe over 40 people in a giant cluster surrounding the red ribbon that seperated the mob from the paradaise that awaits us inside, I just had the luck of being in the very back of the cluster. I pushed and shoved my way through the crowd, still holding onto to Minah to make sure she didn't try to escape, and did everything in my best to get as close to the entrance as possible. Being short usually has its benifits, but in this case, there were no upside. Once me and Minah found a spot in which we could see the entrance perfectly, we stood there until it was time for the grand opening. Everybody around us was chatting and it was quite noisey, it began to get quieter and a stream of "shhh"s began to spread across the crowd as a man that looked to be in his 70's stepped up behind the red rope. It soon fell silent and I had to try in all my best to stay calm as I was now in the presence of the founder of the old arcade.

"I welcome you all... to the Grand Ceremony of the re-opening of the Olympic Street Arcade. It has been years since we've been closed and now we are back in the game. Your parents enjoyed this place, and now its their childrens turn to relive the childhoodhood they had." In a way, I felt like this was like the Hunger Games, the way he was announcing everything. It resembled the way President Snow spoke, a very modest and powerful tone for such an old man. He took out a pair of silver scissors that glared brightly in the sunlight and brought it up to the red ribbon.

"Are you ready to get your game on?" He declared as he cut the ribbon, stepping aside to show two men, dressed as Mario & Luigi, opened the doors that soon became flooded with a line of people walking into the place. Minah and I were one of the first couple in, thankfully, and we were both amazed by the way it looked on the inside. Bright lights shining everywhere, on the walls, from the games, it was like a vegas casino in there except with arcade games instead! There was a range of old games such as Tetris and Frogger but also a ton of newer games like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty(arcade version). It was everything I hoped it would be like, no... IT WAS EVEN BETTER!

"MINAH. HEAVEN, I CAN SEE HEAVEN." I could see a mixture of confusion and fright on her face, she just doesn't understand.

I took out a wad of quarters i had been saving up since the summer of last year and split it up between me and her. She declared she was going off into the classic games section and left my side. Me on the other hand, I had a high score bar to set up on Skee Ball and Street Fighter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minah's POV

Wow what the heck did I get myself into. So many flashing lights at every corner and kids running everywhere you look, there was a strong smell of new flowing through the air, almost like a new car smell... I can already feel a headache building up...

I headed over to good ol' Pac-Man. It had a seat and that's all the mattered to me, maybe I could take a nap and by the time i wake up, it'd be time to go. I put in a quarter and began to move the joystick back and forth, running away from the little ghosts only to get caught a minute later. I always did at this game I don't even know why... I feel like the game has always hated me and was out to get me.

After about $10 in quarters spent on Pac-Man,I began to get frustrated with the game so I gave up. I still just sat on the chair at the Pac-Man's game and looked out into the arcade, watching everyone having fun at each game, trading prizes theyve won from tickets of those games that gave out them, and groups of people laughing. I was wondering in which game Eunji was feircly playing so I got up to look for her. As I got up, a noise above all the rest caught my attention, a strange clicking noise. I looked to my right and noticed a game in the corner of the arcade, one that wasn't flashing with neon lights or even playing 8-bit music. It looked as if it weren't even plugged in at all which was strange because why would this game not be working while the rest do...? I brushed off looking for Eunji and slowly made my way to the game which was 8 games down from Pac-Man. The closer I came to it, the more the clicking noise seemed to be saying my name... I tried to read the name as I came closer but it was too dark in that corner to see the wording and the title was faded. I was almost there when Eunji came out around a corner to get me, the arcade was getting ready to close.

"Closing time already? We've only been in here for an hour though..." I said still focused on the game, trying to make out anything that would tell me what it was called. Eunji looked at me like I was some ghost.

"Minah... It's been six hours we've been in here..." That cracked me up and I laughed a little louder than I had planned to.

"Nice one. I think I wouldve known if I had been in a nerd cave for 6 whole hours. Plus it couldn't have been, I only played Pac-Man like 20 times and got to level 2 each time..." I looked at my phone and she was right, we had been here for 6 hours. I must've actually taken a nap and just slept too hard to remember. I laughed at my stupidity then headed to the exit with Eunji who must've thought I was drunk as heck. At the door, the founder thanked everyone for coming and as we passed him, I let him in on the broken game in the back corner. He just stared at me for around 10 seconds before nodding and thanking me for informing him. He said it in a blunt and bored kind of way, it was really creepy...

It was really late so Eunji and I went our seperate ways to go home.

"So... shall we do this again tomorrow? You seemd to have had so much fun, you didn't even realize the time passing by!" Eunji said with a laugh. I just laughed aswell and turned to go home.

------------------------------------------------------------

authors note:

HELLOOO FELLOWS SUBSCRIBER (or readers in general), hope you enjoyed this chapter, oooooooo the suspense is killin' ya isn't it...? GOOD. Im on spring break so I thought i'd update the story~ I have a ton of good ideas for future chapters so hit that subscribe button to stayed tune B| huhuhu 

Thanks for reading~

--Author Harmony