Ch. 4

The Arcade

Minahs POV

All during school, I couldn't concentrate on anything. I kept looking at the clock and clicking my pen to the rhythm of the second hand; eventually Eunji got annoyed and took the pen from me, replacing it with an ordinary yellow No. 2 pencil. During lunch, I just stared and picked at my food as I daydreamed about my late night visit from that guy.

"Minah... are you okay? You seem a little more of a nervous wreck than you usually are..." I just nodded, assuring her that I was fine. I had to be wise on who I told about what's been happening lately, Eunji has quite a big mouth and would probably tell her xbox friends or even worse, her mom. That'd only get me a one way ticket to a mental institution and i'd rather not spend my summer there. 

"Was it your parents? Did they yell at you for coming home later than we promised? Look Minah, tell them it was all my faul-"

"Eunji. Its nothing. I just didn't get a whole lot of sleep, too much homework..."

"Well if you're up all night doing homework then maybe we should skip  our trip to the arcade today so you can catch up" My head perked up and turned to her very sharply, I gave her a glare.

"That won't be necessary, I'll be fine with homework. We're going to that place after school, okay?" I said with a slight smile and nodded. Eunji just snickered and laughed at how crazy I probably seemed.

"Have I finally got you hooked on the wonderful world of gaming?" She waited for a response but that was one question I didn't plan on answering.

[DURING STUDY HALL]

Eunji and I were sitting in an aisle of our schools grand library. The mahogany bookshelves reached all the way to the ceiling which was a good 15 maybe 20 feat at the most. I swear these belong in Hogwarts, they sure are huge enough. Eunji and I sat in the very back and in between two shelves, leaning up against the wall and just rambled on about how stupid homework was. I kept reliving the dream over and over again inside my head.

// "I'm Hakyeon and welcome to Neverland." //

// What does that even mean... Is he Peter Pan or something? That's the only time I've ever heard the term "Neverland"... And he said he was Hakyeon, what a strange name. I've never heard of anybody with that kind of name before. Wait a minute... I just realized that maybe he was connected to the game. Why didn't I think of this before!? //

I turned to Eunji with wide eyes and a rabid smile shot across my face.

"EUNJI! I NEED YOUR HELP"

"Dude, keep it down or Mr. Brodie will kick us out..."

"Sorry but this is really important, do you know a list of people who went missing from the arcade?" Eunji just shook her head and said that she would need to have access to a computer in order find the full list. One way or another, I was going to get my hands on that list. Something in my gut told me that it was important to have a look at.

[LAST LESSON OF THE DAY]

The roles were now reversed; instead of Eunji waiting impatiently for the bell, it was now me who was staring that clock down intensely. Only a couple more minutes and I'd finally be free to find out what the heck is going on in that arcade and why I had a dream that seemed so real.

The sweet sound of the bell ringing was music to my ears. I jumped up and reminded Eunji to meet me at the arcade in 15 minutes, she was going to the computer room to do some research on the kids who went missing.

I ran as fast as my legs could take me, I didn't want the arcade to be packed with people by the time I got there. I arrived completely out of breath and pushed open the doors and to my surprise, there were only about 8 people there at the moment. I casually walked to the back of the center, giving a smile to the owner as I passed him. I had wondered if he took the time to fix it, I sure would love to give the game a spin and see what it wanted from me. I turned the corner and, passing Pac-Man, made my way, down the aisle. Approaching the game, the old guy sure did take a look at the game; he sealed it off with yellow police tape and posted to the game's screen was a white paper with the words "OUT OF ORDER" printed on it. Well that's not what I was hoping for but maybe by tomorrow it would be all fixed up. I turned around to head toward the exit when I accidentally bumped into the founder. I looked up at him, he was a giant compared to me. He looked a lot more tired than he did the day he cut the ribbon to open the arcade. I looked at his name tag and the name "Ruth Lee" was printed across it in bold black letters. 

"Is there something I can help you with, young miss?" He asked me in a quiet tone. Still looking up at him, I shook my head.

"I-I was just... looking around at all the different games, my friend should be coming to get me soon." I said awkwardly. not really knowing what else to say. "I noticed you marked off the game, it's a real shame it wasn't able to be apart of the reopening, will it be working again soon? I'm a big fan of classic games and would love to give it a try sometime..." I said nervously. I was just hoping he couldn't smell fear because at the moment, i reeked of it.

He looked at the game then back at me. "I'm afraid it won't be working again miss. It's been around since the late 40's and has finally gave in, it seems. It's a great loss but maybe its for the best."

"Oh, What a shame... Well, I must be on my way, I do hope you enjoy the rest of your day." Mr. Lee tipped his hat at me then walked off into his office not too far from where we were standing. After that encounter, I just sat on the steps outside the building and waited for Eunji to come back with news. After 30 minutes, I could see a girl running down the road waving her arms like a psychopath.

"MINAH. MINAHH!!" Well if this wasn't embarrassing then I don't know what is. She was belting my name out as she ran towards me and by the time she reached the steps, she flopped down and had to take a 5 minute break to catch her breath before she could finally speak. She lifelessly pulled a list of names out of her pocket and handed it to me. I searched the list but no Hakyeon.

"Eunji, are you sure this is all? I thought there were more than this." She merely shook her head and tried to speak.

"Minah, I looked at over 20 sites to make sure the information was correct, they all said the same thing. That 5 boys disappeared and were probably either runaways or kidnapped by the owner." My heart sank after hearing that the current owner, who happens to also be the founder, was accused of kidnapping 5 teenage boys.

"Ruth Lee, right?" I asked a little scared since I just had a run in with him.  Eunji nodded and went on saying how she used to look up to him as a rooe model, but ever since he announced the opening of his arcade, he has given off an eerie vibe like the creepy old men you see in horror films. 

------------

Authors note:

Had this already written so I figure Id post it~ For the sake of not leavin any cliffhangers for too long! uwu

I shall get to writing Ch. 5 my lovlies~ Subscribe to get the next update :3