6/6

The Bet

There were twenty minutes until the recording was supposed to start and Himchan and Daehyun were starting to get worried. Neither of them had a clue as to who Rae could have been referring to. Because of the sheer amount of people, everyone was helping wherever they could. Daehyun had seen Rae with OneKet, Park Kyung, Jongup and Dahee. Himchan had watched her laughing with Cream, Doojoon, Zinni and Youngjae.

“Please tell me you have an idea,” Daehyun said, fifteen minutes before they had to go on.

“Not a clue,” Himchan admitted. “She’s been around too many people.”

“You don’t think she’s with one of the other members and everyone’s playing a big trick on us?”

Himchan took a moment to ponder this. Youngjae and Yongguk had both seemed smug the night before. It was possible they were up to something. Yongguk’s extreme desire to ‘not get involved’ was also a red flag, but it couldn’t be him. Yongguk was too much of a goody twoshoes to have a secret girlfriend.

“No,” he finally said. “I don’t think it’s one of the members.”

“Then who could it be? The only guy I saw her with was Park Kyung since we’ve ruled Jongup out.”

“I saw her with Cream and Doojoon, so it must be one of the three.”

Around this time, Rae walked up to the boys. She looked confident and it made the boys uncomfortable. They were sure if they were wrong that the show’s host would find out some kind of way and make them admit to it all on air. That would be the worst punishment, but that was also the risk they took by making a bet in the first place.

“Have you figured it out?” Rae asked sweetly.

“We’ve narrowed it down,” Daehyun admitted.

“Oh really? To who?”

“Cream, Doojoon, and Park Kyung.”

“You think I’m that obvious? I knew you guys were watching me. Maybe I purposely went to them.”

Himchan reached out and tucked a piece of hair behind Rae’s face. He looked at her through half closed eyes, turning on his appeal. “Rae,” he crooned, “let’s stop this game. Just go ahead and tell us and we’ll put this whole thing behind us.”

“Don’t get fresh because you’re about to lose,” Rae said. “Make your guess now before you have to go on stage.”

Daehyun nodded to Himchan, willing, for once, to be the quiet one. Himchan looked up and saw two people approaching them, one of them being Cream, who he’d seen with Rae earlier. He smirked before looking back at Rae.

“It’s Cream, isn’t it?”

Rae smiled as both Cream and OneKet came up to her, Himchan, and Daehyun. She put an arm around Cream and he nodded back to her.

“We’re right!” Daehyun exclaimed.

“Not quite,” Rae stopped him. She reached over and grabbed OneKet’s hand, quickly bringing the back of it up to her lips.

“Huh?” Daehyun asked, completely at a loss for words.

“OneKet asked me to be her girlfriend today and I said yes,” Rae explained with a cute blush.

“What about…?” Himchan asked, nodding in Cream’s direction.

“A friend of mine is the one who dyes Cream’s hair. I hang out at her shop sometimes and met him. We’re just cool.”

Himchan and Daehyun couldn’t seem to pick their jaws up from off the ground. There were five minutes left and the producers were calling for everyone to get in place. OneKet squeezed Rae’s hand and smiled at her before walking off.

“Hey guys….don’t forget, you have to tell everyone about what happened before.”

“Are you really going to make us do that Rae?” Daehyun asked. “We just got the shock of our lives. Shouldn’t that be enough of a punishment?”

“I’ll be waiting,” Rae responded.

 

“…I heard an interesting rumor,” Shindong said, making the assembled crowd oohh in interest. “I heard that two of the people on stage made a bet and lost.”

Himchan tried his damndest not to give away anything. He looked around with everyone else, throwing out accusations while actively ignoring s and the wings where Rae was no doubt watching. Daehyun just sat there and looked amazed.

“Himchan, Cream, Doojoon, Daehyun, Kangnam, Yoseob…stand in the front of the stage.”

The six men got up and stood in a line. Daehyun kept fiddling nervously as Shindong continued to build tension while playing with the crowd and the other guests.

“Hmm…Zinni, who do you think it is? Just one name.”

“I would say…Daehyun? He seems mischievous.”

Shindong laughed. “I would say the same.”

“Who else? Hmm…5zic, do you have any faith in your members?”

“None at all,” 5zic deadpanned. Everyone laughed good-naturedly before Shindong went up to the suspects.

“On the count of three, if you are someone who recently lost a bet, step forward. One…two…three!”

All six guys looked at each other hesitantly before Daehyun stepped forward. The crowd cheered and then Himchan stepped forward. The other four males went back to their seats while Shindong harassed the other two.

“Look at the camera. Send a video message to the person you lost a bet to.”

Himchan looked at Daehyun, making the other boy talk first. “We’re sorry we made a bet about your feelings,” he said.

“We’ll learn to keep our mouths shut and actually ask before trying something,” Himchan finished. They both bowed to the camera and scurried back to their seats.

The recording ended and everyone said their goodbyes. Himchan and Daehyun met up with the other members of their group, Rae, and OneKet. Youngjae, Yongguk, Jongup and Zelo were holding onto each other and laughing at the other two’s misery while Rae just smiled at them.

“What have you learned?” Rae asked them.

“Make sure the girl is interested before you make a bet,” Daehyun said.

“And…?”

“The only reason a girl isn’t attracted to me is because she isn’t attracted to men at all,” Himchan deadpanned.

Rae snickered. “See you tomorrow boys.”

“Wait!” Himchan called out. “If you were to choose one of us, who would it have been?”

“Oh that’s easy,” Rae said. “I’d pick Jongup.”