4/6

The Bet

“One shot! One shot!” Daehyun chanted while Rae chugged the shot of soju in front of her.

“Wow Rae, you can really take some liquor,” Himchan commented after pouring the girl another glass.

“I’m going to be so useless in the morning,” Rae complained. Her head was swimming and all three of them knew she was close to being done.

“Maybe we overdid it,” Daehyun suggested innocently.

“Nonsense!” Rae hiccupped. “I haven’t been out in a while. I’m having fun.”

“You haven’t been out?” Himchan repeated. “Why not? Does your boyfriend have you on a tight leash or something? He must be wondering where you are right now.”

“I don’t have a boyfriend,” Rae told them. “And if I were to have one, it wouldn’t be either of you so you can stop your game now.”

Daehyun and Himchan exchanged looks before both turning to stare at Rae. The stylist seemed to sober up right before their eyes. She laughed at their dumbfounded expressions before explaining herself.

“You guys, I’m not stupid. I can tell when people are flirting with me and you two are the most obvious bunch of idiots I’ve met.”

“That’s hurtful,” Himchan told her.

“It’s the truth. You know damn well that you’ve never danced hard enough to bust a seam, especially not an inseam. Seriously Himchan, you couldn’t have been more obvious unless you stood outside my window with a neon sign. That belt buckle thing was cheap by the way.”

She turned to Daehyun who had previously been snickering as the older boy got told off.

“Don’t laugh. You’re not slick either. ‘Rae, what’s your ideal type?’ Did you think I wouldn’t figure out something was up? You even suggested yourself as a good match for me! That was just too much.”

Both boys looked defeated.

“Are you mad at us?” Daehyun ventured. He was only a year younger than Rae, but the tone she was using right now made him feel like a thoroughly chastised child. He didn’t want her to be mad at him for some inexplicable reason.

Himchan, on the other hand, was trying his hardest not to panic. His whole world had been its head. He…he’d been rejected? No one ever rejected Kim Himchan. He was an icon of y!

“What’s wrong with us?” Himchan asked suddenly.

“Nothing’s wrong with either of you. You’re just…not my type.”

“You said-”

“I know what I said Daehyun and I had someone very special in mind when I told you that.” Rae held both of their gazes for a few seconds. “Look. I don’t mean to hurt your feelings. While it’s true that I don’t have a boyfriend, I am considering a relationship with someone right now.”

Himchan let out a sigh of relief. “So you aren’t going to dress us in hideous outfits as revenge?”

Rae laughed, a loud, hearty laugh that made the other patrons of the bar turn to look at her. She wasn’t as drunk as she’d been acting earlier, but she was certainly close to it. “I considered it, but no, I’m not going to take revenge on you. Actually, I want to ask you a favor.”

“What is it?” Daehyun asked.

“Well since the two of you decided to play a little game with me, I want to play one with you. The person I said I was talking to…they’ll be at the shoot with you guys tomorrow. Why don’t you try to guess which one I’m with?”

“What happens if we figure it out?” Himchan asked. He always had to have all terms on the table before agreeing to anything.

“If you figure it out,” Rae started, “I’ll buy you a meal-anything you want and it can be as expensive as you like.”

Himchan’s eyes went wide as he thought about all his favorite cuts of meat and Daehyun contemplated how many different flavors of cheesecake   he could try in one sitting.

“And if we lose?” Himchan offered, shaking off his momentary attention lapse.

“If I win you will admit to everyone that you tried to play me and got called out on it.”

Everyone?” Daehyun asked.

Everyone,” Rae reiterated, holding out her hand.

Himchan reached out across the table. “I accept your terms.”

“Me too,” Daehyun added. “This is going to be fun!”

Rae nodded in agreement. “Oh, you have no idea.”