Chapter 5

Someday

You woke up the next morning and sleepily looked at the clock. Then blinked at in surprise. Yongguk would have been to work for a couple of hours now. You hadn't even woken up when he left.
You rolled over and let out a heavy sigh. You closed your eyes and took a few deep, shaky breathes. Then you climbed out of bed.
You walked out into the hallway and looked in to Yongsun's room. His pyjamas were laying on the floor and you made your way over to them. You picked them up and went to put them in his hamper only to notice how full it was. Gripping the pyjamas in your hands for a few seconds, you turned and quickly made your way back in to your bedroom.
You grabbed the laundry basket and filled it with dirty clothes. Then you went over to the washer and started a load of laundry. While it was going, you laid in bed until you heard the buzzer go off. Then you moved the clothes over to the dryer and then went to lay down once more.
When that buzzer went off, you placed the now clean laundry back in the basket and then carried it in to the bedroom. You dumped everything on to the bed and began folding it without thinking. So when you heard a noise behind you, you jumped and turned around real fast.
Yongguk was standing in the doorway and watching you. You looked down at Yongsun's shirt in your hand before awkwardly folding it and placing it in his pile. You took a shaky breath as he walked over to you but you didn't look at him.
"I..." You swallowed. "I did laundry."
He placed a hand tenderly on your cheek and made you look at him. You bit your lip as a tiny smile formed on his face. "That's good enough for today."
You swallowed hard and tried to blink back tears as you looked away from him. "I'm sorry. I just..."
Instantly his arms were around you and he held you tightly. "I know, I know. Oh god do I know." he stated as his voice cracked. "It feels like a part of me is missing too."
Your arms s around his waist as you hugged him back. The two of you stood there and held each other for a while until he pulled back a little.
"I'm so sorry about yesterday. I would never hurt you." he said.
"I know you wouldn't." you reassured him. "And I'm sorry too. Those cruel things I said."
"You were hurting." he reasoned.
You shook your head. "No, no. You were right. She's your daughter too. You would never try to erase her."
He swallowed and nodded before wiping at your face. Then he looked at you with pleading eyes. "Please. Let me make you something to eat. You've hardly eaten anything and I'm.."
"Yes." you interrupted. "I'm hungry."
He blinked at you in surprise before letting out a sigh of relief. Then he took your hand and led you to the kitchen.
You sat at the table and watched while he cooked a quick meal. Then he brought it over and sat down with you. You noticed him watching you as you ate and knew he was making sure you ate enough. Which brought about a sudden thought.
"Yongguk, why are you home early?"
He blushed slightly as he set his fork down. "I was worried about you." he said, confirming your suspicion.
You nodded your head and then reached over to hold his hand. "I'm sorry."
"It's okay." he quickly stated, squeezing your hand. "I understand."
You offered him a small smile. "I love you."
"I love you too." he told you, smiling as well.


A few weeks later, you were going through the mail at the table and your heart sank as you spied one particular envelope. You grabbed it and your lips nervously.
"What is it?" Yongguk asked, seeing your discomfort.
You turned to him and gave him the letter. "I... I can't."
He looked at the return address and nodded. Then he sat down next to you. Taking a deep breath, he opened it and pulled the papers out. His eyes scanned over the documents but you couldn't read his expression.
"Was it..." You placed your hands on your stomach. "Did I do..."
He looked up real fast and stared at you. Then he quickly placed the papers down and grabbed your hands. "Oh no honey. No. You didn't do this. It's not your fault." he said.
You looked down and took shaky breath as you nodded. Only feeling a small amount of relief. "Then what..."
He sighed and looked at the papers, shaking his head. "No apparent cause. There was no infection, no birth defect. No chromosomal aberrations or complications with the umbilical cord." He let go of your hands and picked the papers up, scanning over them one more time. "Everything came back clean. It was just a rare occurrence and nothing suggest any future pregnancies.." He quickly stopped talking.
Tension hung in the air as you nodded. "I don't think I'm ready for..."
He set the papers back down and cupped your face. "No. Don't. You don't need to think about that. At all."
You placed your hands over his and gave him a small smile. "I know. But maybe. Someday." you told him as you eyes watered
He stared at you in surprise before biting his lip and looking down. Then he looked back up and nodded, a bit of sadness but also happiness in his eyes. "Someday."
"Mommy. Daddy."
You both turned to look at Yongsun.
"Were you fighting again?" he quietly asked.
"No baby." you quickly told him and wiped your eyes. "We weren't fighting. Did you enjoy your nap?"
He smiled and nodded his head. "I'm hungry."
Both you and Yongguk chuckled at the same time.
"Alright. Let's get something to eat." Yongguk said as he stood up. "You can help."
"Can mommy help too?"
"Sure." you told your son.
"Yay!"