Mother, what is love?

What Is Love?

You might think that movies exaggerate. That in Shrek, the princess would not actually be locked up in a tower far away, with a dragon guarding her. Well you would be wrong. Princesses are locked up. Not in towers however, but in magnificent, fine mansions. And instead of a fire breathing dragon, a set of unbearable parents, tattle-taling servants and ever-loyal guards lurked this princess' tower. And instead of having her parents arrange a marriage for her, this princess was hidden and protected from all knowledge of love.


10 years ago 

It was another day at the mansion. Sunshine streaked into the room from the small window. Bella sat with her mother on the couch, knitting her 3rd scarf of the day. “Mother, what is love?” the 6 year old’s voice was sweet, pure and curious. Her father on the other side of the room choked on his wine furiously, his face turning crimson. Her mother stopped knitting and held silent. “Mother?” she looked up with large eyes. “Love,” her father boomed “is evil, worthless. It shatters this world and is the reason for our foul society!” “LOVE!” her mother raised her voice, her father stopped and went back to downing his wine. “Is nothing.” Her mother regained her posture. Bella was taken aback and confused. “But I heard servant Lucy said that she loves cooking! How can love be nothing?”

The servant was fired and shipped off to a deserted island. And from that day on, orders were sent out that the child was to be watched at all times, and if a trace of love were to come near her, the ‘watcher’ would be heavily punished. Queen and King Young became even more hostile towards Bella, and the weary, tad bit disgusted look they gave her came ever more so often. They scheduled heavier piles of lessons for the poor child and kept her busy learning everything in the world. Eery useless, nonsensical thing that existed. Everything, except love.

Now, the diligent child realized that whenever a delightful movie of a lady and a man showed up on TV, the remote was snatched from her grip and the TV was switched dead. And whenever she saw a lady and a man hold hands, her vision would be blocked by a hand, or she was simply steered away.

“Love, is something. I’m sure of it. Love must be quite well-kwown in this world,” She thought, 2 years after the incident. Starting then, she was determined to catch every glimpse of what she suspected was 'love.'

 


a much lighter chapter for the lady :3