Chapter 4

Café et Dessert

The next day, Kyungsoo arrived right on time at eight in the morning. Only Jongin was there as Sehun had school in the morning. Taking in a deep breath, Kyungsoo started to walk towards Jongin whose back was facing him. He seemed to be engrossed in preparing for the day, not noticing Kyungsoo until said man greeted him.

“Good morning boss! I’m ready to start work now!” The tanned male turned around to see a very cheerful Kyungsoo, eyes wide in excitement.

“No need to call me boss. Jongin will do just fine. The locker room is at the back. Sehun prepared your work attire yesterday, it’s in the locker with your name on it. After that start work on baking. The customers will start piling in at ten.” Jongin pointed towards the direction of the locker room before going back to what he was doing.

“Is there any particular dessert I need to make?” Kyungsoo asked as he started his way to the kitchen.

“Not really. Just make whatever you feel like making.”

After that, the café was quiet, the only sounds produced were the two males preparing for the day.

 

The morning went on smoothly as the number of customers started to increase by the minute. By noon time, the café was packed with people on their lunch break. It seemed like a normal day at a normal café at first, but if you look closely enough, there was something different about it.

The atmosphere in the café seemed lighter and more cheerful thanks to Kyungsoo’s bright personality. After he finished baking, he went to the front to help man the cashier so that Jongin would be able to cope with the amount of orders. Kyungsoo greeted everyone with a smile that whoever saw it would instantly smile.

Regular customers also complimented the desserts, finding the change of menu refreshing as they are able to taste the sweetness of Kyungsoo’s desserts blend so perfectly with the bitterness of Jongin’s coffee. Some even asked Kyungsoo how he was able to change the forever cold and stubborn Kim Jongin’s mind, to which Kyungsoo just gave a smile as a reply.

By lunchtime, the desserts Kyungsoo made during the day were all sold out. Kyungsoo’s desserts proved to be quite popular, as many of them have heard of Kyungsoo’s skills, so everyone was curious to see just of good the doe-eyed male was.

“Wow I didn’t know your café is so popular! I’m really tired now.” Kyungsoo told Jongin as they sat down at a table for their lunch break.

“I didn’t know either. There seems to be more people today. It must be because of your desserts. A lot of people seem to know you. Are you popular or something?” Jongin asked as he set their lunch on the table.

“I guess so? Some of them were my seniors in school, and they always praised my baking skills. But you seem to be popular as well. I saw quite a number of school girls staring at you over the counter.”

“I’m not interested in them. They’ll get bored of me sooner or later. Girls are always like that.” Jongin stated before starting to eat his lunch.

“Why do you say that? Did you have a bad experience with girls?” Now Kyungsoo was curious. What made Jongin become the way he is now? To become so cold and indifferent towards girls.

“Something like that. My mum left my dad for another guy when I was young. Ever since then I just lost interest towards girls.” Jongin didn’t know why he was opening up to Kyungsoo so easily. When he was with Kyungsoo, it was as if Jongin can drop his cold façade and depend on the small male.

“I’m sorry for that… But not all girls are like that, you know? There are very caring ones as well as loyal ones.” Kyungsoo didn’t know what to say. How could Jongin’s mother do such a thing? When Jongin was just a child who needs his mother to be there for him?

“Seems like Luhan hyung is a girl then. Caring and loyal towards Sehun.” Jongin started joking around to change the topic. He didn’t want Kyungsoo to see him as someone weak.

“Haha that’s true. Hyung has always been quite motherly. And he looks like a girl too! But don’t tell him that. He thinks he’s manly.”

Suddenly, it seemed as if Kyungsoo and Jongin had known each other for years. They felt so comfortable sharing things about themselves, talking about random stuff that doesn’t even make sense sometimes.

 

Before they know it, a week has passed and their new arrangement has worked out well so far. Sehun would come and help out at times, but mostly it was just Kyungsoo and Jongin at the café. More and more people heard about Kyungsoo’s desserts and Jongin’s coffee making the perfect combination and the sales went up tremendously. There were times it got so busy that they had to close the café early once the desserts and coffee got sold out.

“You two look like you survived a war.” Luhan teased them as he and Sehun walked into the café, hands linked together.

“That may just be it. There’s like twice as many people as before Kyungsoo joined the café. It’s getting harder to cope.” Jongin flopped down onto the plush sofa at the corner booth. Kyungsoo nodded in agreement, too tired to even speak. They had just closed the café early again, the desserts and coffee all sold out and leaving the two males exhausted.

“At least it’s Sunday tomorrow. The café’s closed so we can finally take a break.” Kyungsoo sighed in relief as he sat down on the sofa opposite Jongin. Luhan and Sehun pulled two chairs from a nearby table and brought it to the booth and the four of them just talked about their day and enjoying each other’s company when the door opened, revealing a well dressed man in his early twenties, an angelic smile adorning his face, emphasizing his handsome features. He glanced around the café before his eyes landed on Kyungsoo.

“I’m sorry sir, but we’re closed for th…” Jongin started but was interrupted by Kyungsoo.

“Suho hyung! What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo jumped up from his seat and ran towards the man, Suho, giving him a hug, his arms around his neck. Suho wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo’s waist, making Jongin clench his teeth, hands gripping on the sofa. Whoever this guy was, Jongin didn’t like him.

“Hey Kyunggie, how’re you doing? I heard some people saying there was a new genius around making the best desserts and I thought of you. Turns out I was right.”

“Hey, who’s that? Why is he so touchy with Kyungsoo?” Sehun asked Luhan, noticing Jongin’s sudden foul mood.

“That’s Kim Junmyeon, also known as Suho. He was Kyungsoo’s senior in high school, and I guess you can say he’s Kyungsoo first love. Since Suho was very popular in school, being the president of the student council, the smartest kid in school, and to top it off his family is very rich, Kyungsoo didn’t dare to confess to him. Although, I think Suho is interested in Kyungsoo as well. They stayed in touch after Suho graduated and now he’s preparing to take over his father’s company.” Luhan replied, and Jongin mood turned impossible darker. For some reason, Jongin hated the way Kyungsoo smiled at Suho, and the way they hugged each other made Jongin want to go up to them and pull Kyungsoo into his arms instead.

With Kim Junmyeon around, Jongin felt like there would be trouble ahead of them…


[A/N] Chapter 4 done!!! Oooohhhh, seems like there's some competition for Jongin. Hehe I actually dreamt of this chapter. Literally. So I just started typing away when i woke up. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! Comment and subcribe pls ^^