Chapter 3

Café et Dessert

“You sure this is a good idea? The thing with Kyungsoo. I heard from Luhan that Kyungsoo makes really great dessert. What if he really does manage to impress you?” Sehun asked as he and Jongin started to pack up and call it a day.

“I doubt he makes desserts that are special. I bet Luhan exaggerated a bit. I mean, Kyungsoo is his darling cousin.” Jongin started changing out of his work attire to his casual clothes.

“I’ve tried them before. It really is quite good. It has a certain taste to it that makes your day better instantly. Kyungsoo takes pride in his work you know. He always makes them whole-heartedly.” Sehun hummed as they locked up the place and started heading to their shared apartment.

“We’ll see then. If he really makes desserts like you and Luhan describe, then he’ll be an exception and get to join the café.” Jongin replied and the rest of the journey back was in comfortable silence.

This was how Sehun and Jongin usually are. They both don’t talk much, which was why they got along well because they both rather spend some quiet time together as compared to hanging out with a bunch of people who talk loud and laugh like a madman at some random jokes thrown into the conversation.

 

The next day, as the café was just starting up, Kyungsoo burst in, startling Jongin and Sehun. They did not expect Kyungsoo to appear that early, and not with all the things his frail arms seem to be struggling to carry while their owner is panting.

“Kyungsoo? What are you doing here so early? And what are those things you’re carrying?” Sehun asked, tilting his head in confusion while going forward to spare the poor guy’s arms of the burden.

“These are ingredients to make my special dessert. Mind if I use your kitchen? You can witness the process as well if you like. There shouldn’t be that many people at this time right?” Kyungsoo explained while fanning himself, trying to catch his breath.

“I guess. But don’t get your hopes up. If I’m not the least bit impressed, the deal’s off.” Jongin raised his eyebrows, as if he was taunting Kyungsoo. But that hardly affected Kyungsoo at all. In fact, it just made him more hyped up.

Kyungsoo wasted no time at all. He instructed Sehun to bring the ingredients to the kitchen and what happened next was a blur. Kyungsoo got to work, cracking the eggs, mixing in the cream and whatnot. Kyungsoo’s hands were as fast as lightning, so fast until Jongin couldn’t even see his blurred hands. How could such a small body be so darn fast?

After an hour or so, the dessert was done, and Kyungsoo presented his creations to the man-in-charge. He requested Jongin to make the cup of coffee he drank the day before, insisting that the beverage would be a perfect combination to the dessert. Jongin seemed skeptical at first, but after seeing the determination in the shorter male’s eyes, he agreed and proceeded to whip up the drink.

Finally, Jongin sat down and observed the plate of dessert situated in front of him. The cake was simple. Brown and crisp on the outside, yet light and fluffy on the inside, topped with a mix of brown sugar and cinnamon to present Sour Cream Coffee Cake.

Jongin stared at the cake for a minute or so before finally picking up the fork and cutting a small part of the cake. To Kyungsoo, it seemed like eternity before Jongin finally started eating the dessert. Jongin’s expression was unreadable, making Kyungsoo more fidgety and jumpy than he originally was.

Jongin then started sipping his coffee and hummed a little. Sehun and Kyungsoo did not know what that meant. Was it a disappointment, or was it so good that Jongin was speechless?

“Well, it certainly wasn’t what I expected it to taste like.” Jongin started, making Kyungsoo gulped. Oh no, was it bad? Did I bake it for too long? Or did I add to much sour cream? What should I do?

“I expected it to taste like any other cake out there. However, yours is way better than those. I guess Sehun and Luhan were right when they said you were good.” For the first time since Kyungsoo met him, he saw sincerity in Jongin’s eyes.

“So, does that mean…”

“Yeah, you’re hired, as promised.” Jongin replied. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, unable to comprehend the situation at hand. Did the almighty Kim Jongin aka Kai just agreed to hire him?

“Uh, Kyungsoo? You ok? You heard what Jongin said?” Kyungsoo got snapped out thought when Sehun snapped his fingers in front of his eyes that looked like it could pop out his sockets at any moment.

“Sorry, what was that?” Kyungsoo looked to see Jongin already walking towards the kitchen.

“Jongin said you’re hired. You start work tomorrow at eight. The café opens at nine and ends at ten, and then we need to clean up so the day ends at eleven at night. Think you can handle that? Of course you’ll have breaks in between, but the peak hours get really hectic, so you better go home now and prepare yourself for the big day tomorrow. Congrats Kyungsoo! Luhan and I knew you could do it.” Sehun patted him on the back and gave a smile before going back to man the cashier.

I can’t believe this. I… actually got hired by Jongin? Is this real? I better pinch myself. This may be a dream…

Peeling the pain in his squishy cheeks a few moments later assured the petite man that he was very much awake and the reality of him being hired by Jongin started sinking into his brain. Grinning from ear to ear, Kyungsoo then rushed into the kitchen where Jongin was cleaning up the tools, jumping onto the tanned male, giving him a tight hug while repeatedly thanking him. Jongin stood there frozen, too shocked by Kyungsoo’s actions.

What’s this? Why does it feel hot in here? Why is my heart beating so fast? Why do his arms around me feel good?

Jongin continued standing there before Kyungsoo realized what he was doing and released the taller male, blushing at his actions and muttering a soft apology before dashing out of the café, going off the find Luhan and tell him the good news.

Jongin brought his hands up to his face, feeling the warmth of it. Maybe, this might turn out not so bad…


[A/N] Here's Chapter 3!! A very ty update, but the main plot is starting soon!! So... I know nuts about desserts, only that I LOVE eating them. I feel so stupid. I was like okay I'm gonna write a Cafe!AU fic, then realised while writing that I have completely no idea what desserts to write. Soooo, I went to my best friend (Google) and searched up what desserts goes well with coffee and voila! Sour Cream Coffee Cake. So just ignore the part where I described the dessert kay?

Comments and feedbacks are appreciated!! Also, if you have any suggestions on the desserts to include, do comment down below and I'll take that into consideration. Thanks for all the support!! I love you guys <3 See you guys next time!! ^^