chapter 4

Soul Touch With Fingers

Chapter 4    

 

“Ahri! Don’t forget your lunch.” Her mother leaned in to give her daughter a soft, warm kiss on her forehead as she ties her shoelaces. Ahri faintly smiled and took hold of her mother’s hand, finding her lunch also.

 

“What’s wrong?” Her mother sensed her daughter’s slow like movements and her long face.

 

“It’s nothing.” She whispered and lightly squeeze her backpack straps over her narrow shoulders. She wish to tell her mother about what had happened to her yesterday, but was it such an embarrassment? Ahri replayed the scene in her head over and over again. But she had remembered that a certain someone has made her forgotten all about it. It was Kai. She wanted to thank him again for dropping her off home, but was a simple “thank you” be alright? Or should she make lunch for him? Ahri then shook her head lightly, getting rid of her bad thoughts. She grinned widely wanting to forget it especially yesterday.

 

“Theres my girl.” Her mother chimed and squeezed Ahri’s cheek, bringing her back to reality.

 

“Huh?” Her expressive eyes popped out and was confused at the second.

 

“Silly girl. Go in the car while your father gets his things.” She patted her on the back and push her lightly towards the front door. Every stair, she slowly brought her feet down a few inches, feeling the hard, concrete on the tip of her shoes. As she reached to the bottom, a light, cool breeze hit her face. Ahri closed her eyes, breathing the fresh air in her body, relaxing her tense muscles. She wanted to crawl back in her bed because she was sure, everyone will be talking about her. The girl who hid away from students time to time and in one day, gets rejected from Baekhyun. What else will go wrong?

 

“Ready?” She jolted up, scared right away. She gathered her thoughts together and nodded knowing who it was. Right there, she was following in her father’s footsteps to the car. Her father insisted to bring her to school in the morning and it was somewhat caring of him. Ahri’s father did his best of taking care of her; clothing and feeding her twice a day. Though Ahri’s mood wasn’t always a cheerful one because was he always at home? Ahri’s father is working double-shifts and trying his best to grant Ahri’s wish. But it had its side-effects. 

 

From time to time, she feels a burden to her parents that she had to live with a curse. They weren’t poor nor rich. They just didn’t have enough money. Though was seeing the world or beautiful sites more important than being with the ones you love Ahri thought for a second. She has loved her mother and father’s affection towards her, but money could not buy life. Money was one of the answers to her worries, but couldn’t her parents see that she wanted something more than just a green, printed paper?

 

Her father then buckled her up as she stared blankly into space as usual.

 

By the time school bell have rang, her father reached into the school’s parking lot. He unbuckled himself and ran outside to open her side of the door. Helping his daughter out of the car was like teaching a toddler how to walk their first steps.     

 

“Have fun!” He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and waved her off goodbye. She returned a nod before camouflaging within the students walking up to class. Her father left the school premises and left Ahri in a lonely state. She was like a lost puppy, not knowing whats happening around her. She had to use all her senses except one inorder to survive in this living hell. 

 

“20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25-”

 

“Oops. Sorry.” A boy nonchalantly said after he ran pass through Ahri. She has fallen down straight to the ground with her palms scraping against the pavement.

 

“It’s....it’s okay.” The students voice overpowered hers and the boy cared less to hear what she had to say. Ahri waited for a reply, though nothing came to her. She was once again ignored by her peers as always. Ahri brought her weight up and dusted herself as the whole student body ran off to class hearing the first bell. She could feel the cuts on her palms sting and was trying to bear it. 

 

“You know you gonna be late for class?” A stern voice caught her attention from behind and she could not tell who it was. She raised a curious brow though her heart raced as the person made contact with her. His hands just mere close to hers, but she flinched away. His hand was awfully cold, but was his soul also?

 

He let out a low chuckle seeing how scared she was. 

 

He tsked at the late bell and knew it was not worth running to class now. “Since we are both late, I don’t think the teacher won’t mind?” He tucked his hands in the front pockets of his khakis and glance over at Ahri one more time. She did not respond and only gulped hard. Could he not know the situation as of now? He embarrassed her infront of the class just yesterday, and acts it was nothing? Her head then whipped in the direction Baekhyun has left off. His footsteps that were pacing slowly and his shoes that scratched on the floors, giving off a squeaky sound. She followed behind quickly, only bumping into him.

 

“I’m-I’m sorry...” Her voice was a little shaky. She bowed down exactly a 90 degree angle. Baekhyun just waved it off and continued to walk in the school hallways. They reached to class in a few minutes, and Baekhyun took a second to fix his tie a little loose before entering the class and receiving everyone’s attention.

 

“Looks like you’re on time Baekhyun.” His teacher sarcastically said without taking his eyes off the chalkboard as he feverishly writes down today’s lesson.

 

Baekhyun smirks at his teacher remarks and shakes his head in amusement.

 

“Well thanks for noticing. I’ve came with Ahri along the way. She needed some assistance and I was glad to help.” He suddenly takes her hand and tug her to his side. 

 

Ahri’s cheek flushed into a rosy, pink color and face palms. “I was lost, but luckily he found me.” She felt the urged to say something before anyone would have misunderstood them.

 

The teacher was then surprised and placed his hand down. The teacher could sense there was a hint of a lie. Though it was Ahri and she would always tell the truth. Their teacher took Ahri’s condition as an excuse and let it slide. He thought it was out of the ordinary that Baekhyun would be eager to help her despite the fact he was not an outstanding student and only came to school when he wanted based on his profile. Did he change for the good?

 

“Since you are both here, take your seats and start taking notes.” He pointed to the class behind him with his chalk. Ahri bowed down immediately and was pulled by Baekhyun afterwards. He lead her to her assigned desk and sat next to her.

 

“Omo!” “Are they dating?” “That’s a lie.” “Doesn’t he sit by Eunji?” “Maybe Eunji isn’t his type.”

 

The class continued to whisper not knowing it was loud enough for Baekhyun to hear. He secretly grinned and it only made Eunji furious. She watched them in disbelief with her arms crossed over her chest. She was quite irritated at Baekhyun choosing Ahri over her. But was Ahri thinking the same alittle? Why would Baekhyun choose her over Eunji? Was it opposites attract? Was she dreaming right now?

 

“Aren’t you gonna take notes?” Baekhyun leaned in to whisper in her ear. Ahri then fidgeted to open the zipper of her backpack and getting her supplies out.

 

“Hey! Wassup!” A tall, handsome guy came barging in, disrupting the teacher’s lesson. He smiled widely showing his white, pearly teeth. Everyone’s head popped up hearing an unfamiliar voice.

 

“Omg...” Baekhyun hid his head in embarassment and did not dare to look.

 

“Who are you?” The teacher raise a curious brow with his hands on his waist in judgement.   

 

“New student. Chanyeol-ssi.” His low, deep voice that did not match his face complexion made everyone laugh or giggle. He bowed down to the teacher and turned himself towards the class to greet them also, but he stopped midpoint seeing his best friend among the students.

 

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol said cheerfully.  

 

“Wah~ Who’s this? Your new girlfriend?” Chanyeol stumbled his way over to Baekhyun and Ahri, ignoring the teacher who was about to ask him another question. Every pair of eyes followed him. 

 

Ahri could feel the tension as everyone wanted to hear if it was true or not. Baekhyun rubbed his temples and tried to make no eye contact with the teacher who was indeed upset with Chanyeol’s action. He has wasted the teacher’s teaching time, but not the student’s learning. 

 

“Annyeongsaehyo, my name is Chanyeol and you are?” Chanyeol fluttered his eyelashes.

 

“Ahri....Song-ahri.” She mumbled feeling the awkwardness building in the class.

 

“Your name sound familiar.” Chanyeol scratched his chin, thinking deeply. He have heard it once or twice, but from who? Did Baekhyun mention about her? Or Kris? Chen? Kai? Sehun? Or just maybe he met someone with the same name since he is quite popular with girls also.

 

Chanyeol then beamed a smile. “Well nice meeting you-”

 

“Student!” The teacher shouted across the room, giving chills down Chanyeol’s spine before he could shake Ahri’s hand. Chanyeol gulped down in nervousness and turned himself around. He sat down on a empty chair infront of Ahri immediately leaving the whole class to burst into laughter.

 

* * *

 

 “Kai!” Chanyeol blinked in surprise seeing his friend strolling the hallways. “What are you doing here?” He makes his way towards Kai.

 

“I attend here don’t I?” He spoke in a slight cocky tone. Chanyeol didn’t bother and let out a grin. Kai could be happy sometimes, but it was normal for Kai to be so cold to his friends. As Kai turned his head to the side, he immediately caught Baekhyun pass right by them. He took a grip on his arm, stopping Baekhyun in his tracks. Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows and stared at his friend, trying to find the state of his mind.

 

“I want to speak to you.” 

 

“Waeyo?” Baekhyun spoke in a monotone voice.

 

“Just shut up and follow me.” 

 

He lead Baekhyun up the rooftop of a building where no one would be. 

 

Kai then spinned around as the door shut closed behind them and glared at Baekhyun as if it was the right thing to do. “You better not hurt her again.”

 

Baekhyun scoffed, “Hurt Ahri? Why do you think that?”

 

“Because I know you shouldn’t be someone to associate with especially with her. Don’t be using your playboy skills on her.” Kai once again gave him a deathly glare. Baekhyun looked over this, and knew what Kai was really feeling. He was jealous. But was it too early to assume?

 

“What if I don’t? Are you....” Baekhyun was quite amused that he could see in Kai’s eyes were in shock.

 

“I’m not what you think?” Kai hissed. 

 

“Why are you even trying to be close to her anyways?” Kai was trying to state the main point.

 

“Maybe....she’s too good for me that is why she is so unique to me. I would like to know more about her. Is it immoral for me to meet people like her while others mights judge I’m not that kind of person?”

 

Kai looked down as if he was defeated with Baekhyun’s choice of words. Was Kai really thinking wrong of his friend? He was like any other person wanting meet other people. But why did he feel like there was something else behind this? Was Baekhyun using her?

 

“If I shouldn’t be near her, shouldn’t you be also?” Baekhyun slowly took small steps so he could meet face to face with Kai. It seemed liked a threat, but one was trying to warn his friend while the other cared less and knew what he was doing.

 

“Let’s not talk about this again. I should’ve known you’re such a wise .” Kai pulled the door open harshly and left Baekhyun behind. Baekhyun took his last sentence as a compliment and went down the building to find his other friends the meantime.

 

* * *

                                                                                     

“Ugh...so do you like music?” Chanyeol sat shoulder to shoulder with Ahri who did not speak a word for the whole 5 minutes. Chanyeol bumped into Ahri just right after Kai wanted to talk to Baekhyun up on the rooftop. Chanyeol was glad to find her because he wanted to know more about her, but it became awkward when she was looking for Kai instead. Sehun and Chen came right behind Chanyeol and greeted themselves to her also. They were now sitting in the backyard, trying to stay away from the crowd. On the way, Sehun and Chen found her beautiful. She was flawless and had the innocent look that some guys would like, but she had one flaw. Did Baekhyun really like her because of that?

 

“I listen to it a lot.” She murmured.

 

“What should I do? I never brang my guitar with me today.” He ruffled his hair and pouted. Chanyeol was trying to find a way to light up the mood, but could not figure out how. 

 

“How about a song?” Chen questions as Sehun on the side lifted up his head. Sehun shook his head in dissaprovement and knew what will happen. 

 

“Andwae!” Sehun declared. Both Chen and Chanyeol nod in synchronized and jump up happily.

 

“Too late.” Chen playfully said. He pushed Sehun back down on the grass next to Ahri before he could protest.

 

“Whatever you do, cover your ears.” Sehun softly said, only for Ahri to hear.

 

“How come?” She replied as Chanyeol and Chen relaxed their vocal chords.

 

“Trust me.” 

 

Before she could speak again, Chanyeol and Chen already started singing. 

 

“Cheoncheonhi neoui du bore BuBiBu
Ni son kkok japgo BuBiBu
Neoman bomyeon naneun ganjireo
Geudael bomyeon naneun rulluralla~”

 

Chanyeol and Chen were making fools out of themselves as they dance goofily infront of Ahri and Sehun. Ahri who could not see at all, felt entertained and was moving her body of the tune. She couldn’t see why Sehun didn’t like it, but she guessed why. He knew them long enough than her. Sehun sometimes come to think how are they even close friends? Sehun just whined over and over again, wishing this playful act would end already.

 

“Tadah~” Chanyeol and Chen who finished the song, received an applaud from Ahri. She was impress that they could sing very good. So she put a thumbs up and smiled. 

 

“Thank you, thank you!” Both entertainers bowed down.

 

“Ahri you must be hungry.” Chen could hear a growl that belonged to her stomach. She pouted and felt alittle squeeze in her stomach. She had forgotten all about eating lunch while her mind was too fixated on a certain person. Sehun, Chanyeol, and Chen just chuckled at her cute expression. 

 

“Me and Chen will get some food. Meanwhile, Sehun stay next to her.” Chanyeol pointed at Sehun with a serious face and went running inside the school buildings to get food.

 

“Ehem.” Sehun tried to clear his throat, breaking the silence that filled the air. He sat up straight and his head to the side before speaking. “So...ummm...how was your day?” It came out a little funny, but Ahri maintained calm.

 

“All right, I guess.” Ahri shrugged her shoulders.

 

Sehun couldn’t think of any other topic for this conversation to continue so he started pulling weeds off the ground and throw it in midair. Ahri felt guilty that she wasn’t able to communicate with others well, but she sure wanted to improve it also.

 

“How about you?” She questioned slowly.

 

“Fine.” Sehun laid back on the tree tunk and stared at Ahri for awhile. He admired her from the side. He then shifted his body, wanting to see a clear profile of her.

 

“I just wanted to say this, but you are quite a beauty.” Ahri blushed right away. She bend her head forward and removed particles of her hair behind her right ear. She could feel her cheeks getting hotter, so she let her hair hover her face. Sehun found it adorable especially when she doesn’t know that he did not take his eyes off her.

 

“Were you born....with you know?” Sehun’s unexpected question made Ahri frown a little. Just one minute he compliments her, but brings up something that it quite uncommon for someone to point out especially if it could hit her weak point.

 

“I’m sorry that I asked you that questioned. It’s just that I was curious.” Sehun rushed his words alittle. He never thought that his words could effect her, so he panicked and did not want to see her burst into tears.

 

“It’s okay. I wasn’t born with it.” Ahri said dryly. She knew she had it, but was it too hard to believe that she might not be able to do that much without her eyesight? She remained calm and took slow breaths. In her mind, she wanted somebody else to come because he gave a slight comfort even though she didn’t know him that well. It was just that he was also mysterious as the first. Were they close friends? What made her also yearn for him? Can it be that she was too curious of this creature because she can’t see him very clearly? All she knew was their names. She took Sehun’s question very well, but wanted to leave at the moment.

 

“You don’t have to answer him you know?” Sehun cringed and looked behind to find his friend eavesdropping their conversation.

 

Kai?

 

“If you want to know who I am, it’s Baekhyun.” He laughed light-heartedly. Ahri stiffened for awhile and was starting to worry. She could not tell them from apart. He was teasing her, but it feared her that she might fall for the wrong person. Or maybe not.


 

I’m sorry on behalf of not updating for three weeks. School has been hard as of 2nd semester *bows down 90 degrees*. Sorry for the short update also. How do you like the story so far? Is it okay because of long updates? I hope to please you in any way. Just to let you know that Ahri is blind. Though I would like your opinions on what will happen next. Who do you see Ahri with? Why did Baekhyun REALLY stood by her side? Who is this certain person that Ahri have thought about but dare not to mention his name? Please do comment below, like or subscribe :D

 

-Cassi