chapter 1

Soul Touch With Fingers

Chapter 1

 

Chatter filled in the classrooms, outburst of laughters and constant horse playing were heard few feet away. Song ah-ri, who stood aside from her classmates, was breathing in the fresh air that was like a light, silvery dream. Her eyelids were shut close and she let the warm rays of the sun hit against her milky skin. Day by day, Song ah-ri cared less of what will the future bring her. One’s life has it’s own struggles and fears, so has Song ah-ri. She felt like there was no hope in her life. A heavy sigh was let out of her and she opened her eyelids. Around her was white walls and white floors shimmering in the sunlight. Song ah-ri who just wanted to hear complete silence turn herself the other direction from the ruckus that ringed her ears like a church bell. As she was walking down the narrow hallways, the tip of her fingers were lightly sliding against the wall. Every step she took down the hallway, a sweet, melodic voice was being heard clearly to her ears. The person did not stop and kept pressing a key on the piano’s keyboard. It brought desire to her sensitive ears. She kept up her walking pace and stop when she found her designation. She stood quietly behind the piano player, trying not to distract him. That moment, she felt free, it was like she was floating right off her feet. Her soul was being pulled into another world.Though tears were forming in her eyes. She took a grip onto herself, hoping it won’t fall like rivers. He kept playing and singing not noticing that a presence was in the room with him also. Until a little weep was heard, he suddenly stop pressing an off key. He slightly turn his head to the right and fully turn around himself. He was surprised that someone was watching from him behind. Before he could get up from his seat, Song ah-ri suddenly panicked, letting out a gasp while her hands try to cover it. All of a sudden, she ran out of the piano room.

“Hey! Wait a minute!” He shouted at the end of the halls.

She led herself into an old, rusty room locking herself from behind and duck. The young boy followed her from behind though lost her in minutes. He scratched his little forehead, quite confused of her actions and wanted to apologize for scaring her. He checked through the hallways and lost hope due to the time was left until the last class of the day would start. The bell ringed and he turned himself around. Song ah-ri who hid herself in a classroom, sighed in relief and stood up.

Thank god.

She dusted herself and exited the room. She quickly jog her way to class and patted her seat before sitting down.

“All right class. Settle down. Bring out your notebooks and start copying these notes down.” Her classmates did as what they were told to. For the whole lesson, she sat there, staring blankly at her desk. Her mind was completely empty in thoughts and wasn’t aware of the time.

“Ms. Song?” Her teacher lightly tap her in the left shoulder waking her up to reality.

“Huh?” She jump in shock.

“Class just ended. You may go home now.” Everyone rush out the door in lighting except Song ah-ri.

“Oh.” She stuffed her belongings in her vintage backpack and threw it over her narrow shoulders. She bowed and left. Every step she took, she counted it.

“45, 46....53, 54.” She murmured to herself. Luckily, not many students were roaming around this time and it would be embarassing for Ahri to see someone how childish or ridiculous of what she is doing.

She then continued walking her way out to the front gate.

“91, 92, 93, 94....98, 99-” Before she could say 100, she collided onto someone else causing that person to drop his phone.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.....I’m sorry.” She repeated herself as she got on her knees searching the guy’s phone on the gravel.

“It’s okay. I got it.” The boy lazily bended down for his phone. He finally grabbed his phone off the floor and examined it if there was any scratches.

“Are you all right?” He simply asked. The boy was confused why she didn’t stand up. Ahri was frozen as ice on the floor because she recognized that voice from before. His white, soft fingers reach for her in the right shoulder, but she flinch away. Quickly, she got up and ran away in the direction of her house. The boy stood there dumbfounded.

“Weird.” He scratched his forehead with his right index finger.

He saw something else laying on the floor and it was a ipod with a pink, sparkly cover on it.

“Did she drop this?” He shrugged his shoulders and stuffed it in the front pockets of his khakis. Before he took a step forward, he glance at the direction she ran off to. His eyebrows knitted together as he tries to remember her facial features. All he saw was a doll like face with glowing skin and natural light brown hair with fringe bangs. Her upper lips that formed into a cupid bow and her rosy cheeks showing off her face complexion. One thing for sure was their eyes did not meet. Why was it hard for him to recognize her eyes?   

Haven’t I seen her before?

He took out her ipod and stared at it for awhile. Was he gonna see her again? Probably he thought. He gripped it hard in his right hand and sighed before leaving the school’s premises. 

* * *

Ahri got home before the sun was about to set and her heart was beating rapidly. She calmed herself taking long breaths behind her bedroom door.

“Song ah-ri? Are you all right?” Her mother was concerned. She heard her daughter’s loud footsteps running upstairs and a door being slammed from the kitchen. Her father also heard her coming in the house and was curious what happened.

“N-ne. I’m fine.” Her voice cracked up.

“Dinner would be ready in 10 minutes. Take a bath before coming downstairs.”

“Arrasso.” She rush her words. Her mother then walked down the stairs and continued cooking.

Song ah-ri who was in shock, did not move a inch. Though she did what she was being told and ran the faucet with warm water in the bathtub. She her uniform slowly one by one and threw it on the floor. She then dipped her little toes in the water before going inside. It was the right temperature for her and she firm her grasp on the edges of the bathtub when she submerge herself in the water. It was so relaxing for her, letting all her stress go away in thin air. She scrubbed herself at her neck to the tip of her toes and massage her scalp with her fingertips as foam build up in her hair. She got out of the tub after rinsing herself with cold water and wrapped herself in a towel. She rubbed her feet against the rug beneath her and swing the bathroom door open. She walked her way towards her bed and ran her fingers on the bed. She smiled until she felt a pair of pajamas folded nicely on her bed. She unwrapped the towel and folded it hamburger then hot dog style. After folding, she laid it down on her dresser near her bed. She slipped on the long, silky dress reaching down above her knees and the thick straps over her shoulders. Song ah-ri left her bedroom and used the railings as she got downstairs for support and step in the dining room where her parents waited for her presence. Both of her parents immediately smiled when their daughter stood before them wearing a dress. They wished she knew how beautiful she was, and that someday someone will notice her and love her like them. Her mother then ran up to her and linked her right arm with her daughter’s left arm, guiding her to a chair next to the table. Her father who pulled out one, smiled as his daughter sat down. Their dining table was not that large and only four chairs could be sit near the table. Song ah-ri’s parents both sat on each side of her and kindly prepared her doenjang jjigae. A dish that is one’s most beloved in Korea. They also served rice and kimchi on the side for her. Song ah-ri could feel her parents warm love and she was very thankful to have them. It would bring tears in her eyes but she held it in. She wanted to be strong infront of them, so she showed a genuine smile.

“Go on. Dig in.” Her mother was anticipating how she will react to her dish. Song ah-ri used a spoon that was placed to her right and carefully stick it in the food, suspecting what was inside. She then picked up a spoonful of the soup and savor the flavor on her tongue.

“Mmmmm.” She took another spoonful of it and added it to your mouth. Her mother felt satisfied of her cooking and ate along with her husband and daughter.

“So how was school?” Song ah-ri dad said after clearing his throat.

“Fine as always.” She replied.

“Are you struggling in any of your classes?” He asked.

She shook her head playfully before taking a bite of her meal with some chopsticks. Her parents chuckled at her cuteness. Ah-ri was the only child in the family and of course, her parents treated her like a princess. After dinner was finish, Song ah-ri and her mother started cleaning up while her father was working in his little office. Song ah-ri carefully stack the plates in a tower and carried it towards the kitchen. She placed it nicely in the kitchen sink for her mom to wash.

“Be careful dear. I don’t want you to hurt yourself.” Her mother rubbed the top of her little daughter’s head. Song ah-ri grin back at her mother because of her mother’s affection towards her.

“Song ah-ri?” Her mother spoke while cleaning the plates one by one.

“Hmmm?” Song ah-ri was curious what her mother would ask.

“Have you met someone by chance?” Her mom turned her face in the direction of her daughter.

“Me?” Song ah-ri’s eyes widen like an owl.

“It’s okay if you don’t tell me. It’s just that if you did, I want to be the first one to know.” Her mom was assuring.

“Omma~” She whined back.

“What’s going on there?” Song ah-ri’s dad peeped his head out the door, wondering what was going on. Song ah-ri and her mom just giggled silently and continued where they left out.

“Once in a lifetime you meet someone who changes everything. So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life’s a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.” Her mother said as she cleaned each dish, leaving it spotless.

Inside of Song ah-ri, she didn’t expect that her mother would talk about this topic. Most parents would not let a innocent girl like Song ah-ri to explore what could be out there for them. Love is a force of nature, bigger than us, free, cares what becomes of you, compassionate and empathic. Many girls like Song ah-ri fear love because they are not capable what may happen. 

“I’ll finish up everything from here. You can go to sleep.” Her mother turned off the faucet and patted her daughter on the back lightly.

“Ne.” Song ah-ri happily said. She carefully walked upstairs. As she reached to her bedroom, she closed the door from behind. She lay on top of her bed and pulled the soft, thick covers over her shoulders. It was a windy night and she could hear the curtains swaying and hitting against the windows that were slightly open. She slept fitfully, curling up in a ball. In her mind was filled with that boy’s voice ringing in her head. His soothing voice that give off such goosebumps on her skin again. She rubbed it off and try to fall asleep. It took awhile for her to stop thinking about him. She inhaled and exhaled clearing her thoughts. Though in her mind, she thought what her mother meant. Song ah-ri repeated what her mother has just said to her in the kitchen. Meeting someone that might be your true love, lifting her head high and smile like it was her last. She question, was there really someone who would be wanting to love her? Love her no matter what? Can that person really accept who she is? Most importantly, can she trust that one person? The world is very unpredictable, not knowing what to expect of the unexpected. Ahri was satisfied with her life. Having such warm love from her parents, able to go school as a normal kid. Finding her true love was not exactly what she wish for. She hopes that her life could stay the same as always of not going through such pain.

 


How was the first chapter? As of this chapter I have left a hint for you. Try guessing before I can reveal it to you...kekeke. I hope you are liking the story and I wish of you to subscribe, upvote or comment;) Enjoy reading the next chapter.

-Cassi