Return Policy

Sweet Nothings

I sigh.

This morning when I woke up, I excitedly ran to my kitchen to see, not so excitedly, that my fish had died. I had spent all that money on a filter and other supplies for my little Junsi-Ssi and he became unhealthy so quickly despite my efforts.

I admit; I cried.

What had I done wrong? I killed a fish in a single night! I am not worthy of companionship; even from that of a guppy.

I sigh again and bang my forehead against my kitchen table, drawing sad circles with my fingertip on the surface.

I had already disposed of his body; and by disposed of, I do not mean I flushed him down the toilet.

I wrapped him in a washcloth, placed him inside a shoebox, and then buried him underneath the steps to my apartment. I painted his name onto a smooth stone I had found in the street and used it to mark his grave so that he could have a respectable resting place.

I suppose I'll return the filter and the other supplies today. It seems I'm becoming a regular at PETmaNIA.

I scoot my chair back and begin to box up the filter and clean up the fish bowl.

I hope I can find the receipts.

After 20 minutes of scrubbing on the fish bowl, I swing my coat over my head, slip my items into a bag, and push open my apartment door.

"Good morning, Sweety. It's rare to see you out and about. I noticed you left TWICE yesterday. Have you got yourself a girlfriend?"

My elderly neighbor, Eun Hyeshin-Halmoni, was standing on my doorstep with a basket of shiny, waxed apples. She giggled and pushed my shoulder before I could respond to her questions.

"I knew it! Oh, I just knew it! Here, take these as a congratulation gift. Have her peel them and make something yummy for you. Oh, this is great! What's her name?"

I stumbled back and wrapped my fingers around the basket handle hesitantly as she shoved it forcefully into my hands.

"Halmoni, I... I don't..."

"Oh... I see. I'm sorry. I had just hoped..." She took the apples from me and turned around, shielding, poorly if I must say so, her disappointment from my view.

"I... Uhh... I was visiting a girl! She's not my girlfriend, but I went on a blind date! She... wasn't what I was looking for. I guess I'll just keep trying."

I laughed nervously.

She turned around and grinned, her crooked teeth showing through her thin, aged lips.

"That's my boy! Breaking out of your shell! You'll find a nice young woman and you'll be so hap-OH! What's this?"

She took my bag from my hands and looked inside.

"A fish bowl? Pfft. What do you need that for? Silly boy. Ha! All you need is a woman!"

By this time I had already begun to sneak beside her. I took hold of my bag and pried it from her fingers, giving my best polite smile.

"I'm really sorry, Halmoni, but I must be going."

She shouted after me and shook her fist, with the basket in the other hand.

"You rascal, you! Go woo some women!"

What is it with the old ladies in my life? I don't need a girl! I need... Well... I don't know what I need.

I hustle down the street until I am out of Halmoni's view before slowing down to a normal walk. The goods bag rustled against the wind and I could see the flickering neon sign above the pet shop a few blocks down. A tan pickup truck rattles by and I wave my hand infront of my nose in an attempt to clear the smell of the exhaust. By the time the sour smell of the carbon dioxide mixture fades I'm already entering the store. A quiet chime rings as the door swings shut and I can hear the suctioning noise the doorseal makes as it closes.

"Hello, and welcome to Petnia, your petmania for every one of your pets needs!"

I was greeted by an employee I had not yet met who sported brown, wavy hair and a blindingly bright smile.

"I'm Chanyeol and I'll be helping you find what you need today!"

"He's mine."

I turned my head to see the familiar face of Kai.

Chanyeol placed his hand on my back and began leading me over to the sales aisle.

"Don't worry about our employee Kai over there. You see, he only needs one more customer satisfaction report for a raise. He's not helping you because he wants to HELP YOU, he's helping you because he wants a RAISE."

"GOD, you're evil! HE WANTS A RAISE TOO!", Kai exclaimed, pointing his finger blamingly at his coworker.

I raise my bag up hoping either of them would notice that I have something to say. "I just want to ret-"

"Over here we have a 2 for 1 sale going on. You can buy two food bowls for the price of one! It's perfect because you'll have a water bowl and a food bowl both!"

"That's really nice, but I came here to retur-"

"And over here we're selling bird feed for HALF price!"

Kai grabbed my shoulder and pulled me away from Chanyeol.

"Hey! Don't take my customer! That's theft!"

I grit my teeth in frustration and take a deep breath.

"I want to return something."

"Oh. Well why didn't you say so?"

I slap my hand over my face and groan.

"That's your job, Kai."

Kai lets out a sigh and leads me to the checkout counter. I lift up my bag and set it on the counter. He begins to take everything out and I search in my wallet for the receipts.

"So why are you returning these, today?"

He glances at me and back at the box he held in his hand. Then back at me. For an uncomfortable length of time. Then back at the box in his hand.

"Umm..."

He looks at me again.

"It's kind of hard for me to say..."

"That's sketchy."

I wave my hands infront of my face in defense.

"No no no! It's just that my fish died. Nothing sketchy."

"Already? Wow."

He diverts his eyes and starts punching bar code numbers into the register.

"What's your number?"

"Huh?" My cheeks flush a deep red and I can feel the warmth radiating off of my face.

"I need a contact number for the return. Policy."

"Oh. Yeah. Right. Eh... 453-555-9054."

I spot the receipts and place them on the counter. He picks them up and examines them before opening the register and slipping them beneath the bill tray. He counts out the amount owed and slaps it on the counter, then slams the drawer shut. I pick up the money and slip it into my billfold. 

Well that was embarrassing.