Stepping Out

Sweet Nothings

I tuck my hands deeper into my pockets and bury my face farther behind my scarf. The cold has a bitter bite against my cheeks and I shiver in the wind. I hate the cold, but I tell myself I do not. With my eyes on the sidewalk, I absentmindedly avoid every crack while walking. I begin to hum a tune in my head and I lose my train of thought as I begin to develop a steady rhythm of steps that correspond with my humming.

Maybe this isn't so bad? I'll start doing this regularly. Not too regularly though. A couple of times a week is enough.

I trip over my own toes.

Maybe not.

As I walk, already several blocks away from my home above the bakery I feel so fondly of, I start to notice things that I had before ignored. Things that melded into the monotonous background of the streets. I noticed the flickering streetlight and the rusted white delivery truck that is always parked outside the furniture store.

Before long, I'm passing the pet store again. Inside, I could see the disgruntled employee from before stocking shelves. He is attractive. Tall and lean, with strong hands that lift heavy boxes above his head with ease.

I cannot remember his name.

I catch myself staring and decide to enter the store again.

I'm on a mission. I'm only in here for my fish supplies.

The worker turns his head and acknowledges me only for a brief second. He grunts and returns to his work.

I turn down an aisle that looks promising and search for a filter that is small enough for my fish bowl.

"You look like you have no idea what you're looking for."

I jump.

He was just stocking shelves on a step ladder a moment ago! What kind of witchcraft stealth does he have?

"I do."

He nods and grabs a green box with a picture of a filter on it and pushes it into my hands.

"You do, huh? Then tell me what size tank you need this filter for?"

I glower at him and note his rudeness.

"I don't know. I'm not looking for a gigantic filter. I have one fish and a gallon sized fix bowl."

He takes the box from me and puts it back.

"Fair enough. Try that small CarboClean filter on the top."

I nod and reach for the filter, but my fingers fall short just by a couple of inches. I turn crimson. He grunts at me and reaches it with ease, then glances at me with an amused expression as he sets it in my open hands and turns away to finish his stocking. I say nothing and continue down the aisle to get a small bag of violet colored gravel and a container of fish flakes meant for hardy freshwater fish like goldfish or guppies.

I smile and imagine my little silver guppy swimming around in his bowl.

I've got to think of a name. How about... Xiah Junsu, after my dream man. He's the most attractive and most talented person that exists in my opinion; just like my handsome, hardy little fish. 

I start to mentally drool and my knees get wobbly.

That voice... I still have to get his newest album...

I sigh dreamily and head to the checkout counter. This time, there's no irritated woman waiting for me. I stand there for a few awkward moments before I spot a little silver bell on the counter. I ring it hesitantly. A second later I hear a familiar groan and the irritated shelf-stocker walks over to the counter.

My eyes are drawn to his new name tag as he scans my two items. 'KAI' was scribbled with permanent marker onto a piece of duct tape and slapped onto his shirt where his old name tag had been.

"Kai?"

He lifts one eyebrow.

"Er... Sorry. How much is it?"

He points to the price on the digital screen above the register. I nod and thumb through my wallet. After I give him the money and receive my change I rush back to my apartment, eager to get out of the harsh biting weather and end my walk. I'd had enough bravery and stepping out of my comfort zone for the evening.