A MISSING BEAST

M e m o r y

M e m o r y E P I S O D E T H R E E         “A missing beast”

 

 

 

“Kris!” Xiu Min came rushing over out of breathe. “What happened to uncle?” he worried along.

“Hyung!” Kris cried as he turned to Xiu Min fully in tears, “I don’t know, I came home and found him on the ground already.”

“Don’t worry, I’m one of the attending doctor tonight, I will take care of your father.”

“Oh, thank you hyung,” Kris thanked still in tears and watched as Xiu Min entered the ER.

Young Sook placed her glass of wine down in front of her and smiled, “So, if you want to really get rid of me… All you have to do is kill me.” She provoked her step mother who was now seen clinching her teeth tightly behind her small deceiving lips. “It’s very simply to kill someone. Don’t you think?” She said hinting that her father’s death was not just any accident.

Her step mother laughed and applauded, “You’re very smart.” She said and folded her arms. “My step daughter is one of the best in Asia,”

“Of course,” Young Sook evilly smiled.

“Your warm bath is ready Agashi,” The house maid entered the room quietly.

“Oh, I’ll be up in a minute.” Young Sook replied and the house maid left the room.

“Here’s a chance for you,” Young Sook looked over to her step mother. “I’m thinking about taking a long warm bath, while I’m in there… Come kill me.”

Her step mother sat up straight and frowned and Young Sook stood from her seat. “It only takes seconds to kill someone. I will be waiting.” She finished and exited the dining room.

Her step mother smirked and created a fist with her hands as she watched her step daughter exit the room. Young Sook was now entering her bed room, taking off her clothes to jump into the bath that was prepared for her. She tied her hair up into a bun and slipped into her bath tub that was filled with warm water with rose petals on the surface. She lay to sleep for the moment while her step mother sat in the dining room for the rest of the night.

The next morning came quickly and as Young Sook was dressing herself in a red 2013 Victoria Queen blazer and black knee length cotton Michelle black skirt bottomed up with a pair of ruby red 2013 Suzie heels. She had her hair braided in a fish tail coming down to her right side shoulders, and her makeup was done neatly. She slides herself out of her room and down the steps to exit the house.

“Where are you going?” Her step mother walked out from the kitchen, “You should have breakfast before you go to work…” Her step mother said pretending to be nice in front of others.

Young Sook looks back to her step mother with a serious face, “I’m going to go meet my future in laws.” She said and her step mother quickly frowned and smiled again.

“Really?”

“Ye,” Young Sook rubbed it in. “I will be having breakfast with them as well.”

“You didn’t tell me anything when you got home last night.” Her step mother released her hands to her side. “As your step mother, I think I should go with you.”

“Anio,” Young Sook stopped her, “I told them that you were busy with work. So you don’t have to trouble yourself.”

Her step mother became a bit angry, “You did?” She smirked. “Good, you saved me time. Have fun.”

“Ye,” Young Sook titled her head a little and exited the house.

“W-What?” Kris gasped. “Who is coming here?” He asked his mother who standing in front of him at the hospital now.

“Young Sook is…” His mother frowned. “I called her last night and told her what had happened.”

“Umma,” Kris frowned deep. “Why? Does she know that father has cancer?” He had found out last night about his father’s health.

“Y-Yes.” His mother nods with a tear.

“How?” He chuckled out with depression, “How can a total stranger know before the own blood child…” He whispered and turned away.

“Kris,” His mother grabbed his hands gently. “Young Sook isn’t just any total stranger to us,”

“I know!” He blew up a little. “I know, she’s our savior.”

Young Sook exited the elevator and walked straight up to where Kris and his mother were talking and stopped as she saw them there.

“I know that she is our benefactor, she saved us.” He added in and Young Sook stood still for the moment. “She means a lot to you and father… I know.” His facial expression changed into a child’s. “She’s important to you two…”

Young Sook was now confused. She was their benefactor? She was very confused on how she saved them.

“So, please fulfill this wish of your father.” His mother begged. “You know your father’s life is shortening now.”

Kris just stands there,

“Son,” His mother grasped his hands and smiled. “If it wasn’t for her, we would not be who are today.”

“How?” Kris asked and his mother just stared. “How did you and father come to be tied down with her as our savior?”

“You know the story don’t you? Because of her birth, we became families. And with her, we were never looked down upon on. I just want you and Young Sook to be kind to one another, just like how you were back when you two were kids.”

“Umma,” Kris frowned in sadness, “I can do that, but Young Sook cant.” He said and Young Sook frowned in embarrassment. “She can’t even trust me… What do you want me to do?”

“Whatever she says.” His mother said and he shook his head.

“I’m a man.” Kris said. “I can’t just let her play with me my whole life.”

Young Sook began to feel the emotions going through her heart as she listened to them.

“That’s all we can do for now,” His mother sighs. “I don’t want to see her use you too, what kind of mother will be able to see that. Your father and I only have you…”

Young Sook bit her lips together and grasped onto her bag tight, and within seconds she turned around to walk back to enter the elevator but Xiu Min had stood behind her a couple feet away the whole time. Her eyes stared into Xiu Min’s eyes and his vice versa.

Xiu Min and Young Sook was now on the roof top of the hospital, “I told you that you meant a lot to him.” He said to Young Sook who was standing beside him still confused. “You still don’t trust him?” Xiu Min peeked over to her.

“It’s not that I don’t trust him,” She sighs silently.

“What?” Xiu Min asked confused. “Then, why?”

“I don’t trust in myself.” She said and Xiu Min tilted his head a little. “I’m afraid.”

Xiu Min slightly smiled, “Why are you scared?” He asked and leaned his arms in front of him on the rails. “Kris seems like a good guy.”

“Anio, I’m scared of myself.” Young Sook stared into Xiu Min’s eyes and he backed up a little.

Young Sook walked her way back down to Kris’s father’s hospital room and grabbed the door handle, hesitating to open it or not. Xiu Min had gone back into his office and sat himself down.

“I’m afraid that I might have to love Kris too much,” Young Sook’s voice ran into Xiu Min’s head. “And then one day I will have to witness another loved one leaving me… Just like my mother.”

Xiu Min smiled and digged out his cell phone while Young Sook finally entered the hospital bed room at the same time,

“I promise,” Kris promised his father with a smile as held onto his hands at that moment. “I will marry Young Sook.”

Young Sook walked right in when he said those words and she stood there frozed. His father gave a light smile and as he held his eyes, he fell into a deep sleep.

“A-Abuji,” Kris whispered.

“It seems he is sleeping.” His mother assured him. “See, he’s still breathing…” She pointed.

Kris smiled, “I see. I guess I’m just too scared of losing him.”

Young Sook watched them as a family and suddenly thought about her family.

 

F L A S H

 

“Don’t you think Kris isn’t afraid of the same thing?” Xiu Min asked.

“What do you mean?” Young Sook shakes her head.

“You’re not the only one who has lost someone.” Xiu Min stared into the light blue sky. “Don’t you remember?” He asked and Young Sook shakes her head gently.

“He lost his twin sister when they were born into this world. Remember?”

“Oh,”

“Even though he never really got to meet her, they shared their mother’s womb for 9 months. I ask Kris all the time if he ever remembered his sister.”

“And?” Young Sook whispered, staring at Xiu Min’s side face.

“And he replies the same thing over and over…” He replied.

“What?”

“That he will always remember her… They shared 9 months together. How could he ever forget her.”

Young Sook stands still and smiles a little,

“Kris is a very trust worthy person.” Xiu Min told Young Sook to trust him. “Even though he comes out as a player, a bad boy… He has a heart of gold.”

“I know,” Young Sook nods, “But I don’t.”

“You think you don’t. But you do.”

B A C K

 

(LISTEN TO: “먼지를 털어내고 with Windy” Sung by Standing Egg)

 

That following night, Kris walked out his father’s hospital room and found Young Sook sitting outside on one of the small benches to the side. He stopped to frown and realized that she has been there for a while now. “Why aren’t you coming inside?” He asked her.

“Oh,” She stands slowly. “I didn’t want to interrupt your family…” She replied and shoved her bag across her shoulders.

“Did you hear me earlier?” Kris asked, rubbing his fingers. “About marrying you…”

“Oh,” She nods and Kris blushes.

“I’m not doing this because I want to. I’m doing it for my father.” He explained.

“I know,” She agreed. “I am too… For uncle.” She couldn’t stare him in the eye.

Kris brushes part of his hair back a little and smiles. “So, how do you want to do this?”

“What?” She finally looks up to his level.

“Our marriage… Today? Tomorrow?”

“… Whenever your father is ready…”

“My father?” He said and she nods.

“Yes, your father is still weak right now. Let’s wait at least one or two more months.”

Kris nods in reply as the two of them stood in silence for a brief moment. Suddenly thunder came roaring down and rain started to pour outside like crazy.

“Then, since I know uncle is doing much better today, I’ll be off…” Young Sook said.

“Oh,” Kris agrees. “Drive safely.” He said since it was suddenly raining outside and Young Sook took her leave from the hospital.

She exited the hospital and noticed how bad the rain got within the moments. She reached out her hands in front of her to touch the rain, and quickly her right palms were filled with rain water from the sky. She smiled.

‘Can I… Really trust him?’ She thought to herself and frowned. ‘Can I believe that he won’t hurt me…’ She added in her head.

Young Sook took a few steps into the rain and her cell phone started to rang. She digged it out and noticed it was her friend assistant Joo. “Hello?” She asked.

“Where are you?” Joo asked.

“I’m heading home now.”

“Good, I’ll meet you at your house.” Joo said and hung up her cell phone.

Young Sook stood there in the rain for another moment and finally walked towards her car. She throws in her bag first then her slides her body inside to secure herself from the rain. Meanwhile, Kris stood at his father’s hospital window watching as she walked in the rain, drenched, towards her car and watched as she finally drove off.

Young Sook parked in front of her house and exits. The rain has gotten much worse by now. She grabbed her bag shuffling it over her head and walking towards the gates. She slides her key card, the gates opened up for her.

“Agashi,” The house maid rushed over. “You’re all wet.” She frowned as she reached a towel over to Young Sook.

“I’m okay.” Young Sook said as she took off her shoes.

“Assistant Joo is waiting for you in your room.” The house maid told her.

“I know,” Young Sook smiles, “Please bring me some warm tea.”

“Yes mam,” The house maid bowed and left the room.

Young Sook walked up to her room and as she opened her doors, Joo was standing there in the middle of her room.

“What are you doing here?” She asked as she entered her room.

“Unnie,” Joo frowned. “You know why I’m here.”

“If it’s about firing you… I have nothing to say. Please leave.” She seemed a little weak.

“Anio, I know my mother has said a few nasty things to you. Please don’t take it to heart.” Joo grabbed her hands. “You know my mother, she can be very protective.” Joo pled but Young Sook didn’t want to hear anything Joo had to say, so she kept silent. “Why? I’m your assistant!” Joo shouted towards Young Sook who hasn’t gotten any sleep for the past few days from all the stress she’s been having. “We’ve been best friends since high school!”

“I just,”

“I don’t care! I’m not going anywhere!” Joo stated as she frowned deeply.

“I already promised your parents. I believe it’s best if you stay away from me.” Young Sook stood in front of Joo, looking a bit sick by now.

“I don’t care, this is my life.” Joo didn’t take noticed.

“Please, just leave.” She began to feel dizzy as she slowly walked over towards her bed to place her bag down.

“Anio!” Joo protested. “I’m not going anywhere.”

“Leave,” Young Sook looked up with a pale face and before she knew, she dropped to the ground.

“Y-Young Sook ah!” Joo called her and ran over to bend down to shake her. “Unnie!” She shook her again and again.

“What happened?” The house maid walked into the room.

“I don’t know, she just fainted.” Joo cried.

“Omo, she’s running a fever.” The house maid felt her forehead. “Hurry, take off her wet clothes and let’s put some dry one on her.” She said and Joo nods her head quickly.

The next morning as Young Sook awoke from her long night sleep, she slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes. “You’re awake?” Joo whispered sitting next to her. “How can fall ill? I have never seen you this sick before.”

“Why are you still here?” Young Sook removed the covers from her weak body.

“Yah, where are you going?” Joo asked, avoiding her question.

“Work,”

“What? Work?” Joo stands in protest. “ANIO! YOU’RE STAYING HOME!”

“Yah!”

“WHAT?” Joo stood up to her not as an assistant but as a longtime friend.

“…” Young Sook stood in silence. “Leave then…” She looked away.

Joo frowned, “Ok,” She said. “I’ll leave, so you stay home and rest…”

“Leave.” Young Sook said out of energy and Joo walked out the room in silence.

Young Sook sat down on her bed gently and began to think again. Before anyone knew, a month has gone by just like that, and as her car parked in front of her company, she exited. As she entered her company one by one of her employees all congratulated her on her upcoming wedding.

“Congrats CEO Jang!” They all shouted. “Congrats on your marriage.”
 

Young Sook frowned and titled her head a bit as a reply to them. “Who told them about my marriage?” She sat in her desk. “I don’t recall myself doing it myself.” She opened up the folders sitting in front of her.

“CEO Jang,” Her male assistant smiled, “You’re a very popular person in Korea. Whatever news about you… People will find out eventually.”

Young Sook looks up to him, “Really?” She asked. “All I know is that I’m a cold hearted beast.” She flipped the pages of the folder.

“Just to remind you, you have dress fitting at noon today.” Her assistant changed up the subject.

“That’s today?” She looked back up to him and he nods.

“Ye,”

Young Sook pauses, “Araso, cancel my lunch appointment with CEO Min.”

“Yes mam,” Her male assistant bowed and left the room.

That afternoon Young Sook walked into a bridal dress shop with Kris’s mother waiting in there already. “Ajuma,” She saw her.

“Oh, Young Sook ah.” Kris’s mother smiled as she saw her. “You’re here!” She walked over to give Young Sook a hug. “How are you feeling? I heard you caught a cold.”

“I’m fine now,” Young Sook smiled.

“Good, because today is going to be a long afternoon.” His mother joked and pulled her into the back VIP area.

Young Sook had tried on 25 different dresses, and every one she tried on fitted her body just right. Her shoulders and collar bone were sharp and charming, her long neck was beautiful and small slim fingers made the laced gloves feels even more pretty.

“I like that one,” Kris’s mother noticed how beautiful she was as she walked out in a long mermaid white heart shaped gown that fitted her body right. There were a few sliver jewels lined across her chest and lace patterns at the bottom. “You look so beautiful.” Kris’s mother started to tear.

“Ajuma,” Young Sook whispered in embarrassment. “Don’t cry.”

“Sorry, I’m just so happy.” Her future mother in law smiled with her hands in front of causing Young Sook to blush.

“What?” Kris gasped to his assistant. “That was today?”

“Yea,”

“Why didn’t you tell me anything?” Kris said and his assistant frowned. “Forget it,” He turned back to his work. “My mother will get the job done anyways…” He began to work.

“We found the one,” Kris’s mother and Young Sook exited the shop. “How do you like it?”

“I like it very much.” Young Sook said with a bright smile. “Thank you Ajuma.”

“Ani,” Kris’s mother shook her head slowly. “Don’t call me that no more. It’s omoni.” She grabbed Young Sook’s hands.

Young Sook hesitated, “O-Omoni.” She slowly called her.

“Yea, I’m your mother now.” She gave Young Sook a hug. “Thank you so much for accepting my son and help fulfill my husband’s wish.”

“Anio, thank you guys for helping me with everything.” Young Sook tried to hold in her tears.

Xiu Min walked into Kris’s office and knocked on his doors to heads him up.

“Oh, hyung.” Kris finally noticed him. “What brings you here?”

“Yah, you’re getting married in 4 days… You’re so busy with work…” Xiu Min shoved his hands into his pockets.

“Ah, work isn’t going to get finished by itself is it?” Kris closed the folders. “Sit!” He pointed towards the furniture in the middle of the room and Xiu Min walked over to sit.

Kris stood and walked over to sit next to Xiu Min as well, “What brings you here?”

“Nothing much,” Xiu Min smiled. “Just wanted to see how you’re doing with all these marriage stuff. Just wanted to see if you’re still standing well, just in case you need me to tend to your wounds.” He joked and Kris laughed.

“Thank you, but I’m doing just fine.”

“I can see that.”

“Thank you hyung,” Kris thanked him.

“For what?”

“For everything…”

“Yah, we’re friends… That’s what friends are for.”

The two of them giggled and joked for the rest of the time as they brought up old memories of themselves. 4 days, it finally came. Kris was now dressed in his black tux and with his hair sleeked back tight, going to be heading down the aisle as a new man. He looked at himself in the mirror in front of him and frowned. Meanwhile Young Sook was at the bridal shop dressed in her pure white heart shaped top wedding gown that left a beautiful laced trail behind her. She had her hair into a beautiful bun and over it was her laced veil with a diamond heart shaped neck lace tied on around her neck. She held in her hands another necklace that was shaped as a black colored anchor with a gold chain and a red bow tie onto the chain. It was a necklace Kris had given to her when they were just innocent kids.

 

F L A S H

 

“What is this?” 7 year old Young Sook asked 8 year old Kris.

“An anchor necklace…” Kris replied as he tied it around her small neck.

“What is an anchor?”

“It is a device usual made of metal that is used to connect a vessel to the bed of the body of water to prevent the craft from drifting due to the wind or current. These heavy anchors can either be permanent or temporary.” He explained to her.

“I see,” Young Sook nods her head with a bright smile.

“Young Sook ah,” Kris said with a smile. “I will protect you, just like an anchor, I will connect you to me to prevent you from sailing away due to the current or wind to keep you safe.”

“Promise?” Young Sook poked up her pinky.

“Promise!” Kris tied his pinky around hers and they both giggle together.

 

B A C K

 

She wrapped the necklace around her neck after taking off the diamond necklace and her eyes were sparkling the moment she took noticed that this was it, it was her D-day. Kris is already waiting at the church for her to arrive, while so many people came, wishing luck and blessing them already as well. Xiu Min was Kris’s best man while Joo became Young Sook’s bridesmaid.

“How you feeling?” Xiu Min asked.

“Nervous.” Kris chuckled holding a glass of wine in his hands.

“Don’t be, you’ll be just fine.” Xiu Min patted his shoulders.

“Thanks,” Kris thanks and took a sip of his wine.

“All ready,” Joo shouted as she saw the beautiful Young Sook. “Wow,” She blushed.

“I’m nervous,” Young Sook placed her hands on her chest.

“It’s natural to be nervous.” Joo smirked at her in a good way. “You’re so beautiful today!” She helped fixed her gown a bit more. “All done,”

“Miss Jang Young Sook.” An employee walked into the room.

“Ye?” Young Sook looked over.

“Your mother is here.”

“Mother?” Joo and Young Sook both said and walked in was her step mother, Chun Hyang.

“Mam,” Joo greeted and Young Sook’s step mother smirked evilly.

“Can you give us some privacy please? I want to talk to my step daughter alone.”

“Y-Ye,” Joo nods and slowly walked her way out the room leaving them alone.

“What?” Young Sook looked at her step mother.

“You look beautiful today.” Her step mother approached her. “Break a leg.”

Young Sook chuckled, “Thanks, I’ll try…”

“I really mean it,”

“Don’t act so nice when you’re not…” Young Sook approached her step mother as well. “I can totally see through you.”

“W-What?” Her step mother coughed a little.

“Since I’m getting married today, I will say one thing to you.” She said and her step mother listened. “You still have one chance left to kill me…”

Her step mother clinched her teeth in anger.

“This will be your last chance. Once I get into the car, you will no longer receive such a good chance…”

“Do I look that evil to you?” Her step mother looked her in the eyes. “Is that all you see in me?”

“Ye!” Young Sook stood strong. “Isn’t that why you married my father? For money… You think I don’t know?”

“W-What?”

“My father’s death… Wasn’t just any accident… You know best what happened.”

“You…” Her step mother frowned.

“I will admit that you did love my father… But what you did that night, I will never forget.”

Her step mother became afraid, “What are you talking about? You think I killed your father?”

“I don’t think, I know you did.” The two of them stood there fiercely staring into one another’s soul.

“You’re just a lonely beast who can’t seem to find love. That’s why you’re blaming me for your father’s death. How pathetic…”

“You’re the pathetic one here… A women who believes she is my mother, my father’s wife…”

The sky started to become dark.

“I’m the beast of the kingdom, while you are nothing but a mere pheasant who seduced her way into my family…”

Young Sook’s step mother then placed a hard slap across her face and frowned with anger, “How dare you…” Her voice evilly said.

Young Sook smirked and looked straight back into her step mother’s daring eyes, “I dare to.” She said and placed her hands into a fist to her side. “I will make sure that you won’t ever get rid me.” The two of them forced stare.

“… You said the only way to get rid of you is to kill you…” Her step mother giggled as she blew off steam. “Then, I will do that.” She added and Young Sook smirked.

“Then I will wait until that day.”

Her step mother frowned and walked out of the room, leaving a weak soul Young Sook standing there in the middle of the room half scared of what was to happen next. Maybe this time, she just provoked too much. Her step mother exited the bridal shop and stopped to peek towards her left. There stood a tall bigger man dressed in a black suit. She gave a nod and quickly headed off to the church wedding hall.

A few moments later as Young Sook brushed herself back on track, she exits the bridal shop and hops into her black car heading to the wedding hall; she noticed that the driver was a different driver, “Who are you? Where is Drive Kwon?” She asked curious as the car door closes.

“He had something urgent to attend to so he asked me to take you.” The driver peeked through the rear mirror. “Don’t worry; I will take you safely to the wedding hall.” He gave a weird smile.

“Y-Ye,” Young Sook rest assured a bit,

Young Sook frowned feeling uneasy and wrapped her dress up in her hands. As soon as the car started to take off, she noticed blood on the floor by her feet and reached quickly for the door handle to open the door, but it was locked.

“I wouldn’t do that if I was you.” The drive warned her and she sat still.

“Who are you?” Young Sook asked again afraid now.

“Me?” The driver laughed. “I’m going to take you somewhere no one will know.” He said and rolled up the window that was creating a view for them two as Young Sook, as quickly as she could, reached her hands towards that window but was too late. She started to panic and jammed the door with her hands.

“LET ME OUT!” She yelled. “YAH!” She panicked.

Everyone at the wedding hall started to feel uneasy since it’s pass the wedding time 30 minutes already.

“Where is she?” Everyone started to gasp to one another. “Don’t tell me she had cold feet.”

 Kris frowned and Xiu Min noticed how worried Kris looked.

“Kris!” His assistant rushed over and everyone stared

“What?” Kris gasped as his assistant whispered into his ears. “Missing?” His eyes popped.

“Missing?” Kris’s mother gasped as well. “What are you talking about?” She held her hands on her chest.

Kris looks over to his father who was in a wheel chair sitting in the crowd, “Abuji,” He said.

“Missing??” Everyone started gossiping. “She really did have cold feet?”

“The beast really did go missing…” Some gasped.

It started to rain a little now. Young Sook was still heard jamming through the car door that was automatic lock. Her hands began to bruise up from jamming into the door and her breathe began to slowly stop.

‘… You said the only way to get rid of you is to kill you…’ Her step mother’s voice popped into her head. ‘Then, I will do that.’ She began to laugh knowing who was behind her kidnap now.

The car finally came to a stop and the driver got out. He opened Young Sook’s door and dragged her out, threw her on the ground and took a spit to the side.

“What are you going to do to me?” Young Sook asked as her face was rubbed into the dirt. “Kill me?” She peeked over her shoulders.

“Yeah,” The driver smiled. “I have orders to have you alive for a few days but I think I’m going to kill you if worse comes to worse.”

Young Sook looked around and noticed no one in sight. She was by the huge rocky sea shores that were far away from where she lived. “Did Chun Hyang order you to do this?”

“Who else?”

Young Sook laughed, “That witch is finally doing it…” She teared a little. “Kill me then.” She yelled.

The man chuckled and shook his head, “No rush missy, your time will come.” He turned away to walk back to the back of the car to grab a few things.

With quickness, Young Sook digged out her cell phone that she hid in between her and dialed up Kris’s number.

“Kris! Young Sook is calling you!” His assistant gave him his cell phone.

“Young Sook!? Where are you?” Kris said and everyone in the room started to worry.

“What are you doing?” He heard her voice.

Young Sook had dialed up his cell phone and hid it back into her .

“Let me go!” She yelled.

 

(LISTEN TO: RAINY DAYS sung by AILEE)

 

“YOUNG SOOK!” Kris yelled. “Where are you?”

“Where is she?” His mother asked in tears.

“I don’t know,” Kris shook his head, “Young Sook ah!” His expression changed into anger.

“I will kill you!” He heard a man’s voice shouting in the back ground.

Kris’s eyes fell into a deep water fall, and the next thing he did was rushed out the room trying to rush to her side before anything could happen to her.

‘Everything seemed so faint to me…’

‘Wait for me…’ Kris kept running.

END OF EP3