Chapter 12

Unspoken Words

The moment Mir’s awake, Joon choked his own saliva. He tensed, retread his hands from slowly brushed the younger’s lock away. He held his breath as Mir looked around him and then his gaze fixed on him. Joon tried his best to smile though his lips dried.

“Who are you?”

Question that left his mouth made Joon’s body as cold as dead. His eyes widened as he saw Mir looked at him with the confusion lingered in his eyes. Joon fisted his palm to stop the shiver then ran down. Took a deep breath, he forced calmness into his body and let out another smile.

“Do you forget me? I’m Joon.”

Mir moved his head that was on Joon’s lap, tilted it slightly. His brows furrowed. He tried to recognize Joon. It feels like he knew something. It’s at the tip of his tongue but he can’t touched it. Lots of emotions swirled and his mind became a stumble mess.

“Joon?” he asked, tried the name.

Joon nodded. He slowly caressed Mir’s hair, tried to calm him down. Mir suddenly felt his head ached and he jolted away. He tried to sit but it felt like his head would rip into half. A grunt left his lips. Joon held him still.

“Shhh, slowly,” Joon soothed him. His fingers gently Mir’s face. Mir shut his eyes tight. He clutched Joon’s wrist and gasped when a terrible pain hit him. It’s too much that stole his breath away.

“Mireu?” Joon called when sweat started to form on the younger’s forehead. Mir panted hard and held his head. The pain expression on his face hurt Joon. “Hey, it’s okay,” Joon said, cooed the younger in hope to ease his pain.

“It’s hurt,” Mir whimpered. Tears rolled down and wet Joon’s hand. “Joon, its hurt.”

A relief that Mir recognized him soon faded away when the younger squirmed in pain. The elder tried to touch him again but Mir quickly averted. Joon felt lost when Mir continue to let out a small whimper and cried. Tears brimmed Joon's eyes. He gulped down to hold his sob, forced himself to be stronger for both of them.

"Sweetheart, it's fine, I'm here. Calm down." Joon helped the younger to control his breath by breath with him. He slowly reminded the younger if Mir started to breath erratically. After some time, Mir able to control his breath. The model once again tried to reach onto Mir. It ripped apart his heart when Mir didn't have any strength left even to reject him.

Joon massaged his temple lightly, until Mir slowly became relax. “Better now?” Joon whispered, measured by Mir’s expression.

Mir nodded, still shut his eyes tight. His face was so paled that Joon afraid he’ll faint again. Mir parted his chapped lips to exhale and Joon knew the younger stronger than what he imagines. Mir slowly opened his eyes to look straight into Joon’s. Joon once again watched the changing in those eyes. Those sparkling eyes became dark in uneasy.

“Can’t we get out of here?” he asked in small voice. At that time, the fears in him became completely clear to Joon.

The elder soothed him with soft touch on his cold cheek. Every part of Mir was cold. Joon wanted to embrace him, protected him from the cruelty he was facing. He's dying to see the spark in those eyes grew cold and died. Those memories of painful times when Mir’s suffering alone to fight his nightmare rushed inside Joon and clutched his heart.

Joon carefully moved. He saw how Mir would shift uncomfortably and winced. When he cleaned Mir's body earlier, he saw those horrible bruises tattered his skin. Almost every part of Mir's body covered with wound. Some were open wound that still bleeding. Joon can't think of position that could lessen the pain.

Suddenly Mir clasped his hand around Joon's wrist tight. "Where are you going?" he asked. His breath started to become erratic as his eyes widened. The fears that lurked in his eyes became tenfold stronger. Joon rubbed his cheek as gentle as possible, tried not to hurt him more.

“I won’t go anywhere.” Joon reassured him when Mir choked and couldn't breathe properly.  “I’ve told you, I won’t leave you alone.”

It must be worked, since the younger once again got a hold of himself. Joon must fought another tears for put the younger under such a circumstance, forcing him to stand on his own and bear the unbearable agony. Mir nodded. “Help me,” he said.

Joon helped him to seat carefully. Mir hitched when every part of his body throbbed in pain. The model rested Mir’s back on his bare chest. It will be painful for Mir to lean to the cold and hard wall behind them. Mir shifted for the pain to become bearable. He took a deep breath as the small movement already tire him out.

“Where are they?”

“They left us alone,” Joon answered, carefully wrapped his arms around Mir to comfort the younger. The contact hurt Mir, but he didn't utter a single word. On a contrary, he leaned into the touch. Mir felt safe, as much as he could be on this situation. Nightmares and labyrinth of memories threatened to take control of him, forced him to give up and lost his sanity. Mir tried his best to focus on Joon, his anchor that held him to sanity, to the conscious.

Mir coughed when his throat felt dried. Joon immediately his back worriedly. It's as protective as a touch from mother. At the time, Mir remembered about his family. He wondered how Eunah took the news. He wondered if he could see his parent ever again. He shivered and turned to Joon to seek for warmness that the latter willingly provided.

Those smoky eyes peered at Joon. Joon stared back at him, forcing a smile to his stiff lips. While Mir's watching him, he knew that this very person has protected him more than his family ever done. Surely, the nightmare and fear clawed under his skin, but Joon stays with him. Joon held him.

"Joonie," whispered came out raspy from his chapped lips.

It caught Joon off guard to hear such an affectionate name after a long time. He stiffened under Mir's gaze. He doesn't want to hope, can't think about it right now. His focus must be on how to get them out of here alive, not egoistic hope that Mir finally remembered about what they've shared. Joon hummed as an answer, threaded his fingers on Mir's copper hair.

"What's the night city lights look like from your room?" Mir blurted.

It's not exactly the question he wants to throw though he wants to know the answer. On the most time, when they talked by phone, Joon talked about the light. He described the beauty of the city lights that mesmerized Mir, recalled something within him. He needed to hear those again, to think about something light, something beautiful that can chase away the fear that started to sink its teeth on Mir. He must know that Joon's near, both physical and psychological. On those times when Joon talked to him by phone, and told him everything the elder's feeling, seeing, at the moment makes Mir feels Joon's there next to him. They're at their closest.

"It's enchanting," Joon started. "It's always beautiful and shine. Those lights give me hope, give me courage to protect the only shine I have to keep. When the dark becomes too hard to pass, when it's too lonely and too hard to be you, those lights cheer you up. They make the world brighter in your eyes, even your world."

Joon smiled at the end. "Let's look at them together next time. I want to look at them with you." Just like the old times.

"We always look at those lights together before." Those words that Mir said shocked Joon. His eyes widened. Mir never talks about them before. He never shows that he remembers, until now. Joon lost for words therefore Mir continued.

"Home, how is it feel?"

Joon understood right away. "It waits for you to come."

"Can I?"

The latter smiled softly and patted Mir's head lovingly. "How can you not? It's your home." Mir looked at Joon's teary eyes that he can't hide.

"I know you," Mir softly whispered. "I remember you, us." Tears brimmed his eyes as well, but Joon smiled and wiped it away.

"Thank you."

***

Jay dried his hair with the towel that damp around his neck. He watched Hyuna who's sleeping on the bed, satisfied with their ual activities before. He saw the light from their window played with her milky white skin. Smile crept hid lips when he saw Hyuna's sleeping soundly. Seeing her this vulnerable, it's hard to believe she could do such a horrible thing.

However the image that stuck in his mind is the boy, Bang Mir. The image of him pleading, crying, and terrified all rushed in his mind. He can't erase those mental images no matter how hard he tried. And looked at Joon when Min ed the younger is something that also can't be forget. It looked like life has been out of Joon's body. Jay never knows such an agony exist but after he saw them, he knows it does.

Jay watched as Mir finally broken under Min's touch. Oddly, it reminded him with Hyuna's condition at the first time they've met. She's as broken as Mir, looked straightly at Jay with alerts filled her eyes. He remembered how Hyuna looked like a cornered animal, ready to bite everything that dare to come close. He felt the same feeling when he saw Mir before. Both Mir and Hyuna were hurt and they might be broken. Jay has seen it in Hyuna. How the pain covered her heart and made it cold, dead.

Jay saw how Hyuna became an empty shell that can't be fix, by the bitter she carried. She's blinded by the pain, no matter how much love Jay showered her. She can't return from her obsession, from her insane logic to make everyone suffer just like her. Jay became a witness of her inhuman ways to take what she hasn't had before. Jay witnessed that there's no cure to heal her too long broken heart.

Jay knew Mir will follow her path if it doesn't end soon. He knew the boy will become exactly like her, and the fact that he tainted his own hands to destroy the boy is something he can't take. For years that he spend beside Hyuna, hoping somehow he could reach into her, he just can't. He can't take it to destroy someone just like people destroyed Hyuna that time.

Jay once again looked at Hyuna's face. While looking at it, he knew what he should do. He leaned in to plant a soft kiss on her forehead. He whispered for Hyuna to forgive her before wore his shirt. He grabbed the keys of the house and without made any sound, went out of their room.

He went to an exact place he wanted to go. Entered the key to the keyhole, Jay opened the door and came in without made any noise. Those boys felt his presence right away. Jay took some time to watch them. Apparently the younger felt asleep or hasn't wake up yet. Joon, held him close to his chest, the gesture that as if he protected the younger from anything that could harm him, and that's exactly what he did.

Jay didn't miss it when Mir shifted up closer, let a low grunt and how Joon his back slowly to calm him down. Joon's eyes never leaves Jay. Jay took a step closer and Mir suddenly awoke. He looked right through Jay, those orbs looked exactly the same with another orbs. Just like Hyuna's when their first time met. It pierced Jay's heart to see Mir's hand weakly gripped on Joon's bare shoulder. It's not a gesture that seeking for help, it's a gesture of protection. Mir tried to protect Joon, although there's a hollow lurked in his eyes.

"We don't have much time," Jay told the two boys. He put the key on the floor in front of them. "This is the key to the front gate."

Both boy looked at him, tried to figure out what's going on. Jay kept his eyes on them. "I can buy you times, but it's only for a while. You must get out and run as fast as you can, you got it?" he said hurriedly to Joon. It's hard to trust him, to trust someone that hurts Mir. But he got no choice. He can't risk Mir to stay at this place. Only God know what they could do to Mir. Even if this felt like trap, Joon will walk right into it. Anything for Mir's safe. Therefore after a quick and may be careless decision, Joon nodded to Jay. He carefully took the key, stood up with Mir. The younger didn't have any strength left. They both stumbled but Jay held Mir, steady them.

The touch felt like fire on Mir's skin. Nausea rushed in him. It's strange and Mir terribly scared by the touch. Jay let go when he saw Mir's face started to change color. Panic was on the surface but Mir forced it back. He can't lost control now. Joon, realized the changing within Mir soothed him immediately.

"It's okay," he said, led the younger to the door of their room that Jay opened for them. "Let's get out of here."

They walked pass Jay. They didn't fast enough, with Mir that clenched his teeth with every step he takes. Joon's shoulder started bleeding again and Jay knows the stitches can't stop the blood any longer. Right before they really past Jay, Mir turned his head to look at him. Mir didn't even know his name. He knew the man in front of him is the part of the gang. He knew this man him at that night, so why did he try to help? Mir can't really understand but when their eyes met, Mir recalled something inside the elder that familiar with him; sorrow and fear.

"Thank you," Mir heard himself whispered to the man.

Jay blinked in surprise. He looked at the youngest face. Its pale littered in bruises and scratches, but it didn't change the sincere look on his face. Jay nodded and closed the door behind them.

"Quick," he urged.

Joon slung his arm at Mir's waist, guided him to walk to their freedom. Joon carried half of Mir's weight, burdened it on his wounded shoulder. They were in front of the last door that will lead them to the gate when some shout heard.

"WHAT THE HELL?!!"

They turned to see Min's fierce face as he watched them by the second floor. He rushed to down the stair.

"Go!" Jay exclaimed, pushed them lightly out of the door and shut the door behind them.

No time for being surprise, Joon walked, nearly dragged Mir across the front yard. Mir breathed a sharp intake when the pain became unbearable. "Please hold on, just a little bit more," Joon soothed him. Sweat started to form on his forehead. His shoulder's numb and twitched whenever he burdened the youngest weight onto it. By his condition, it's impossible for him to keep on going. It's solely his will that pushed his feet to keep on going. He can't fail now. He can't fail Mir. He can't waste Jay's help. He can't stand to let anyone hurt Mir ever again.

From the closed door, they could hear a faint shout and shrieked. The door’s banged hard, like someone shoved another on the back door. Joon kept on going, by now, they’ve reached the gate. Joon took the key from his pocket and opened the gate with an odd calmness he possessed. Next to him, Mir rested his back on the fence, can’t find anything left inside of him. He panted hard and his visions slowly darker. When he heard the click sound, he looked unfocused at Joon.

Joon bended and carefully lifted him and carried him bridal style. “Hang in there, sweetheart. Please, just a little more. Stay with me,” he said while walked finally to the outside.

He walked fast, as fast as his protested leg could bring them. Mir safely lied in his arms, trust Joon fully. Joon kept plead the younger to open his eyes, to stay with him. Mir heard and held on to his voice only, the voice that hold him to the conscious. His head felt like it was about to explode. In the mid of all pain, he could feel the warm liquid wetted his hand, dripped over Joon’s shoulder. He realized its blood. Mir wanted to tell Joon to put him down, but he can’t concentrate to do so. Even stays awake seem hard.

The loud crash sound made Joon turned away and he saw Min were chasing them. Joon gritted his teeth and started to run. The swing nearly sent Mir to unconsciousness, but he forced himself to stay awake. He can’t be weak, not now. Min was right behind them, closer any time past. Joon never had a strong will as now. Forced his body to the fullest, he ran, and kept running.

Both Mir and Joon gasped when Min pulled them down. The three fell and wrestled on the ground. Mir was being thrown aside. He rolled over a cold asphalt and hit the sidewalk. One meter next to him, Joon and Min wrestled. Mir wanted to scream, but he can’t find his voice. He watched helplessly when Min beat the hell out of Joon. Tears ran down to his temple, wetted the cold and dirty road under him.

The sudden yellow light blinded his eyes, forced Mir to close his eyes for a moment. Then the light past away. Mir opened his eyes to see a black van stopped not far from them. Min jumped off when the car’s door opened and revealed two man.

“Hyung,” Mir mouthed without any sound when he saw Seungho walked to them and pried Min off Joon. Doojoon secured the criminal and Seungho rushed to Joon.

“Joon, Joon, can’t you hear me?” Seungho called for the model.

Joon felt disoriented. He heard Seungho and relief washed over his heart like a gigantic flood. Then he realized he can’t see Mir anywhere. Panic soon replaced. “Mir,” he breathed, clutched Seungho’s front shirt tight, demanded his attention.

“Mir, save him. Save him,” he said weakly.

Seungho drifted his gaze to find Mir. He found the boy laying not far from them. It broke his heart to see Mir’s condition. His heart torn apart between Mir and Joon. They both need help and it’s hard to decide who got the most severe wounds between them. Seungho breathed in relief when he heard the siren near and another police car arrived, behind the police car was ambulance.

“Mir will be alright, he’s right there, you see?” Seungho tried to calm the raven haired. He lost lots of blood and he started to shiver. Seungho pressed the wound with his handkerchief, slow down the blood.

Joon hardly turned his head to see Mir. He found the boy laying not far from him. He watch as paramedic rushed to him and moved him from the cold asphalt to stretcher. Joon stayed when Mir being pushed to ambulance car. After he sure that Mir’s now safe, Joon closed his eyes. Seungho watched as Joon lost his conscious, finally could rest.

“You did well, Joon,” he said, signaled the paramedics to take care of Joon. “You did very well.”

Meanwhile Jay and Hyuna stood motionless at their home. Hyuna looked at the floor next to him. Jay didn’t utter any word. Hyuna sighed and finally formed a word. “Why?” she said faintly.

Jay drifted his eyes to Hyuna and saw her eyes brimmed with tears. “Why you let them go? Why you take everything from me?” she asked desperately. Her voice heard like a broken kid. Jay can’t stand seeing her so hurt. He walked closer and pulled her into his embrace.  Hyuna embraced him tightly, secured herself when he felt her world collapsed.

“I don’t have anything else, do you understand?” she said shakily. “You take it away from me.”

He held the girl as she broke down and cried. He held her tight, promised himself not to let go ever again. Hyuna sobbed hard. She stopped Jay who barricaded Min from chased those boys. Jay obeyed her and Min went to chase on them, but Hyuna knows it’s futile. She felt it. Everybody left her. In the end, everybody does. Jay will also.

“It’s okay, Hyuna,” Jay whispered, her back. “You have me. You always will.”

 Hyuna shook her head, buried it even deeper on Jay’s chest. “You left me, everybody left me.”

“I won’t,” Jay replied, pulled from her just to see her in the eyes. “I will stay with you forever.”

Hyuna looked at him with her big orbs that shining with tears. She looked at the sincerity the man had in his eyes. God know how much Hyuna wants to believe, to feel secure. She just can’t. She let Jay placed a chaste kiss on her lips, hoped to seek some warm but she felt cold.

“I don’t want to live this life,” Hyuna told him.

Jay kissed her hand. “I’ll go with you,” he said.

“I feel cold.”

The man fulfilled his promise, he was with Hyuna with her every steps. He helped Hyuna to pour down the gasoline she found at the storage room around the house. When her hand’s too weak to do it, Jay did it for her. Hyuna took the lighter. She saw how Jay held her hand, never once let go. Jay pulled her into another hug when she let the lighter dropped and fire started to spread fast around them.

“Will you really stay by my side?”

Jay ruffled her hair affectionately. “I will,” he reassured for the nth times. “I love you.”

Hyuna often heard those word from Jay. She never believe someone could actually loves her, but he can’t doubt the man in front of him. She smiled softly and it was the most beautiful smile Jay ever seen. Hyuna stayed at his embrace when the house burnt down, take them away from this world to another world that eternal.

***

Seungho and Doojoon were about to go enter the house when the loud exploding sound heard and they looked up in time to see the fire spread and burnt down the house. Doojoon quickly shouted his order to call firefighters, but it’s too late. Even when the first time they saw the fire spread, they knew it’s too late.

All the officers that ready to charge in before, now can only look up as the fire burnt the house. On the front line, Seungho and Doojoon watched helplessly. They could only wait. Inside the police’s car, Min gasped when he finally saw the fire. There’s lump in his throat as he watched the fire spread without blink.

He watched until the firefighters came and quickly handle the fire, but it’s way too late. The fire already burnt half of the building when it finally went off. Some of the firefighters and Doojoon with officers came in, searched for Hyuna and Jay. Min knows, they don’t need to search, he’s already known that they won’t find anything. He knew it before Doojoon came out an hour earlier, and shook his head to Seungho.

Seungho watched the burnt house, his heart started to cold. Paramedic called him, asked if they could go. They need to re-stitch Joon and take care for Mir intensely. Seungho nodded and followed them to the ambulance when Doojoon made a last call for forensic.

The prosecutor went to the ambulance with Mir, while Joon is on the front seat, still unconscious. He watched the oxygen mask that covered half of Mir’s face and the IV on his back hand. Seungho watched his younger brother carefully when they finally went off, leaving the house, leaving the nightmares.

When they was near the hospital, Seungho allowed himself to relax. He can officially called it’s over and now his family will be just fine. Seungho intends to make sure of it.

 

 

 

Written By : Honey June