Four Corners of The Earth

1013

Four corners of the Earth : from all places in the world

Between someone and someone and the bedpost : telling a secret

Four sheets in the wind : intoxicated

 

***

 

The citizens of Blue Sapphire Kingdom gathered at the field where four archery targets had been put. They were eager to wait for princes from four corners of the Earth to compete against each other. The trophy? It’s none other than the kingdom’s youngest prince, Prince Kyuhyun.

“All rise!” exclaimed the protocol as King Kangin, Queen Yoona and their two sons entered the field and sat on their throne. Everyone could see that despite all the merry ambiance  Kyuhyun looked gloomy. His smile did not reach his doe-eyes no matter how hard he tried to look happy.

Four participating princes lined up before the throne and the protocol announced their name one by one. The first participant was Prince Zhou Mi from the North Kingdom. He was tall, fair skinned and handsome. The second was Prince Changmin from the South Kingdom. He was even taller than Zhou Mi, had a boyish look with an annoying smirk. The third was Prince Seunghyun from the East Kingdom, who was extremely handsome but intimidating at the same time, thanks to his intense stare. The last participant was Prince Eric from the West Kingdom. He was very handsome with tanned skin but looked oldest compared to the other three.

Kyuhyun sighed. He hated the fact that his fate would be decided in a stupid archery competition. But that’s how the rule was. His older brother, Prince Heechul, also got married to the winner of the competition two years ago.

He felt his side was nudged by Heechul. “What?” he hissed.

His brother smirked. He knew that Kyuhyun had been irritated with their father’s decision. But Kyuhyun was 17, which was the right age to find his spouse.

“Which one do you prefer?” Heechul whispered.

Kyuhyun took a glimpse at the four participants before shaking his head. “None.”

“If I were you, I’d pick the West kingdom guy. He’s handsome and y,” he said with a smirk.

Kyuhyun just sighed while staring at the citizens who cheered the princes. The four contestants were getting ready for the competition. But there was a disruption. A delegate from the North Kingdom protested the participation of Prince Seunghyun.

“With all due respect Your Highness, Prince Hangeng from the North Kingdom won the competition two years ago and is now married to Prince Heechul. Is it fair to allow his brother in this event? What about the chance for other princes?” the delegate questioned.

Everyone began to mumble, judging the delegate’s reasoning. King Kangin talked to his advisor Lord Leeteuk. They both discussed in low voice. After a short moment, the king announced his decision.

“Regarding the objection from the North Kingdom and for the fairness of the competition, I request Prince Seunghyun to withdraw from the event. It’s not because you are not qualified, young man, but let’s give the chance to the other participants.”

Seunghyun obeyed and left the field to sit in the available seats for the honorable guests. However, the prince’s withdrawal made the competition lacked in the number of archers. So, Leeteuk suggested to the king.

“Why don’t we ask one of the royal families in this kingdom to participate? The best one, of course.”

King Kangin nodded and quickly motioned one of the knights sitting in the guest stand. Lord Yunho was startled when he saw the king appointed him.

“But Your Highness, I’m married. I could not join in the event,” he politely refused the king’s order. His husband, Duke Jaejoong, already had a bitter smile on his beautiful face as if he was afraid to lose him.

The king looked confused and started to scan the guest stand, hoping to find a fine young man from the royal family to participate.

“Your Highness, what about Siwon?” Yunho suggested.

Kangin frowned, knitting his eyebrows. He looked at the said young man. Siwon had the quality to be a knight. He was tall, handsome and skillfull with weaponry. His only flawless was that he came from a poor family. His father was a servant at the palace. Siwon followed suit but his skills made the guard detachment recruited him. He was now one of the guards for Prince Kyuhyun.

However, only Siwon, Kyuhyun and the bedpost knew that romance was blossoming between them. How could Kyuhyun resist Siwon whose appearance beat all those royals? And how could Siwon not being tempted to hover over his prince as Kyuhyun looked as beautiful as an angel?

Nobody knew that Siwon often sneaked in Kyuhyun’s bed at nights, making love to his prince, worshiping him with his touches and kisses. And nobody knew that Kyuhyun was four sheets to the wind with Siwon’s ministrations and hard s.

The prince was scared. He was afraid if the winner found out he was no longer a . He was afraid that Siwon would face death penalty for crossing the line. He was supposed to guard the prince, not to be his lover. But what he scared the most was that he would live with someone he did not love. He had given his heart to Siwon and he wanted to spend the rest of his life with his guard. How could he tell the truth to his father?

The king approved Yunho’s suggestion. Siwon had no other choice but to stand up with the other three princes. They were all ready with their bows and arrows. Kyuhyun felt like throwing up. He could not help thinking “what if Siwon lost”?

Each participant had to shoot in four rounds, each round consisted of 10 arrows.

Prince Zhou Mi won the first round. Prince Changmin won the second while Siwon won the third round. It was a close tie. If Prince Eric won the fourth, then they would have to go back to square one.

Kyuhyun had never been this nervous in his whole life. He was nearly exploded when Heechul kept nagging him. “Shut up hyung!” He even forgot his manner.

Heechul raised his eyebrows. He observed his younger brother’s face. He watched closely how Kyuhyun bit his lower lips and sometimes closed his eyes whenever Siwon took aim. Then he realized something.

“Siwon is your lover, isn’t he?” he whispered. “Did you guys do it?”

“What?”

“You’re not a anymore, are you? Kyuhyun?”

Kyuhyun went ballistic. He forgot where he was and just screamed to Heechul’s face. “Shut up! I hate you! I hate this! I am a human, I’m not a trophy!” Then he cried hard.

Queen Yoona was shocked to see her son’s reaction. She approached him and pulled him into her embrace, trying to soothe him. 

“Mother, please… Why nobody asked me what I want? Why?”

The participants, the delegates and the citizens were stunned. A prince was not supposed to show any emotion in public. Yet, prince Kyuhyun broke down in such an important event.

The king looked furious but before he could express his anger, a glare from his wife silenced him.

“My beloved son, now tell me what do you want?” the queen persuaded her youngest son.

“I am not a bet nor a prize. I’m not the trophy in this championship. Please ask me if I want this kind of arranged marriage. Please ask me if I have someone whom I love. Please treat me as a human,” Kyuhyun said in between his sobs.

“Why didn’t you tell us before?” Yoona asked again.

“I was afraid. I was afraid you would see me as a disobedient son.”

Kangin sighed. He should had seen it coming. His youngest son was much more fragile and sensitive compared to Heechul. Kyuhyun had never asked anything before, yet his only request was for his parents to treat him as a human being. He felt a stab on his heart. How could a father not know what his son wanted? But he was a king and he had to live by the rules. And the rules had made their relationship distant.

“Now son, tell me what you want. Do you… have someone you love?” Kangin asked him.

Kyuhyun nodded. The king and queen could see the crimson tinge on the chubby cheeks. “Who is the person you love?”

The prince was stunned. He gulped. He looked at his father, mother and brother. Only after Heechul gave him an encouraging smile, Kyuhyun answered. “I… I’m… I love Siwon,” he whispered, almost inaudible.

The king frowned. He turned around and stared at the said man, who was still standing in the middle of the field with the other three contestants. The moment Kangin’s gaze landed at him, Siwon knew he got caught. He bowed down, put his bow and arrows on the ground and knelt down. He knew he would lose his head, literally. But he was in love with Kyuhyun. And he did not mind to die for his prince.

Kangin then announced. “Honorable princes, delegates and my dear citizens. I apologize for the disruption of the competition. However, after listening to Prince Kyuhyun’s wish, I have to cancel the contest.”

The three princes moved forward while voicing their protests. The king raised his hand. “I apologize for the inconvenience caused. Please understand that my son would be my utmost priority. And I would grant his wish to be wedded with Siwon.”

Kyuhyun rose from his seat, rushed to his father and gave him a bear hug. It was an uncommon manner but the king ignored the rules although Leeteuk kept whispering: “Your Highness, it’s improper.”

The prince kissed his father’s cheeks. The first time he did that in 15 years. “Thank you Father. You are the best.”

The king motioned Siwon to stand up and approach them. When the said young man stood in front of him, Kangin gave Kyuhyun’s hand to the guard. “My son had never asked anything from me before. Now I hand him over to you. Please love him and take a good care of him. If you shed a single droplet of his tears, I will kill you with my bare hands.”

“Yes Your Highness, I understand. I love Prince Kyuhyun and I will protect him with all my might,” Siwon replied, showing his dimple smile. His face was glowing. Not only because the king spared his life but also because he would eventually able to show his love to his prince.

Just like in all fairy tales  the prince finally found his soul mate  He did not need to search for his love in four corners of the Earth. Because the person he loved the most was someone who always stood right next to him, guarding and protecting him.

 

---end---

 

-Poktanju6686-