Waking Up

The SHINee Heroes (Story On Hold)

Taemin slowly started to awaken, blinking for a few minutes to allow his eyes to adjust to the blinding bright light that was above him. He grasped his head as a sharp sting travelled around his mind, caused by that strange gas no doubt.

After a while, Taemin decided to push himself up, taking in the strange sights of his new surroundings. The first thing he noticed was that his clothes were now blue overalls instead of his concert outfit. He was in some of glass cell, complete with a single bed, monitor, and importantly a tightly locked glass door. The transparent walls allowed him to look around the large laboratory. As well as a lot of computers and equipment, Taemin could see two other cells to the right and left of him, each spaced out so the five separate cages made a semicircle. They each had a bed and monitor in them, as well as a body lying on the bed. 

Taemin looked to his right and saw Key lying on the bed in the cell next to his. A sprit of hope was opened inside of him as Key started to awaken. “Key hyung, wake up! Key, open your eyes!” Taemin knocked on the wall of his cell that was closest to Keys’, trying to get his band member fully awake.

“W-What’s going on? Where are we?” Key finally awakened and looked around, his eyes widened in surprise of the new location. Slowly he began to register the strangeness of the place, looking at the cells and monitor in the cells. The monitors showed a CGI body scan of the person in the cell, showing information such as name, age, birthday, blood type, and other random information. “Have you seen this?” Key looked over to the maknae, who shook his head and looked at his own monitor.

Taemin’s monitor showed the same type of information as Key’s. Everything seemed normal expect the final status that read “Power Type: Unknown”. Taemin raised an eyebrow and looked at Key, who gave the same expression. “What do they mean by the ‘Power Type’, what power do they mean?”

Key shrugged his shoulders, baffled by the whole situation. “I’m not sure Tae. It doesn’t make sense. Maybe~”

“No Key Umma I don’t wanna get up yet...” Key and Taemin turned around to see Jonghyun in the cell next to Key's, moving and mumbling in his sleep. “Yah, quit nagging at me, I wanna sleep some more...”

Key folded his arms and pouted. “I do not nag at you... That much..."

Jonghyun continued to turn about in his bed, still not quite awake. "Kibum I'm too tired, can't we do this another time...If we caught together they might find out about~"

"JONGHYUN WAKE UP!" Key ran to the side of his cell closest to Jonghyun's and slammed his fist into it, creating a loud bang that startled the sleeping idol, and caused him to fall out of bed. Taemin held his side as he broke into hysterics, watching Key scold Jonghyun for not waking up sooner.

Jonghyun rubbed his eyes and looked around in confusion.  "W-Where... What... Where are we?" Jonghyun took his time to look around the large room, blinking in disbelief. Jonghyun took a minute to think back to what happened. "Those guys in the van, do you think they~"

"Who else do you think did it, the tooth fairy? Get a grip and wake up!" Key shouted in frustration, managing to wake Minho and Onew in the remaining cells. Taemin looked at Onew, who was in the cell next to him.

"Where are we? Is everyone alright?" Onew quickly got up from his bed and looked around, taking in every detail he could see. His eyes widened in shock when he noticed the situation that they were in.

“Hyung, what’s going on?” Minho swung his feet off the edge of the bed and walked to the glass door, trying to push it open with his weight. “Who the hell brought us here?” Minho shouted in frustration, kicking at the door hoping it would break.

“We’re not sure who they are, but the men in the van are definitely behind this.” Key replied as he examined the large laboratory that the band was being held in.

“Well I’m not waiting around to find out! I’m getting us out of here!” Minho readied himself to kick at the wall again, but froze in surprise as the large metal double doors opened, allowing two men in glasses, lab coats and masks to walk in.

The men looked at the band and then at the clipboards that they were holding, nodding at each other and whispering amongst themselves.

Onew looked at his band members, rubbing the back of his head as he thought of a plan. After a while of silence, SHINee’s leader knocked at the glass, gaining the men’s attention. “Who are you and why did you bring us here? You can get in serious trouble for this you know!”

The men looked back at the computer monitor on their desk, writing and talking quietly. Key began to lose patience and clenched his fists. “YAH, HE ASKED YOU A QUESTION! TELL US WHERE WE ARE AND WHAT YOU WANT WITH US!”

The men looked up again and walked over to the cells, looking at each member carefully. The eldest man walked up to Minho and shook his head. “Aish, how can you not recognise us? You’ve joined us on the show two times!”

Minho’s eyes widened as soon as he heard the voice and gasped in surprise. “Ji Suk-jin, is that really you?” The man pulled down his mask to reveal that Minho was correct. Minho instantly knew the identity of the other male with glasses. “Yoo Jae-suk, what’s going on?”

Yoo Jae-suk pulled his mask away and smiled at the band, as if they had done nothing wrong. “I knew you would catch on as soon as you heard our voices Minho. How are you? I haven’t seen you since the last episode.”

Jonghyun scoffed in disbelief. “How do you think we’re doing? We just had the strangest concert yet, then we were kidnapped and knocked out, and now we are trapped in cells like wild animals!” Jonghyun folded his arms in anger, glaring at Jae-suk as he shook his head.

“I know this seems weird right now, but just stay calm ok?” Jae-suk held his hands up and gestured for Jonghyun to calm down, but it didn’t really work as planned.

“Stay calm?” Taemin spoke up, looking around in a panicked state. “How can we keep calm? Why are we in these cells? What’s up with these weird monitors?”

Ji Suk-jin walked to Taemin’s cell and looked at him with gentle eyes. “You’re starting to panic right now, and that won’t help with anything. Just breathe and listen to us ok? We aren’t here to harm you, we are just going to do a few tests~”

“What type of tests? I failed terribly at math, please say it’s not math!” Jonghyun rubbed the back of his head, going red with embarrassment. Everyone rolled their eyes at the singer, making various comments to themselves.

“It’s not a math test. It’s more like a body check up.” Suk-jin replied, looking at the clipboard again.

Onew raised his eyebrow in confusion. “So you mean to tell us that you had us stolen from our concert just to give us a check up? I’m sure that we can go to the doctors without your help, but thanks anyway.” Onew tried to get out of the cell, but almost ended up breaking his foot trying to kick the door open.

“It’s a little more than just a medical check up...” Jae-suk walked over to Onew’s cell and pointed at the monitor. “There’s something a little different about you, and the reason that you are here is because we believe that your time has finally come.”

Key tried to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. “Does this have something to do with the power type status on the monitors? Are you telling us that we have~”

“Superpowers, that’s right Key. You all have them.” Jae-suk smiled and nodded his head, watching as the band started to freak out. It was very amusing to see the band get excited in a very confused way.

“Wait, that’s impossible! There’s no way on this earth that anyone could have superpowers! If this is a prank I want to know right now!” Minho shook his head in disbelief, waiting for them to reveal the hidden camera. But to Minho’s surprise, the men just looked at him with a serious expression.

“We are serious Minho, you five all have superpowers, and so do we.” Suk-jin put his clipboard on the desk as a light started to flash above the door.

“Who do you mean by ‘We’? Are you saying there’s more like us?” Taemin watched as the oldest man walked to the panel beside the doors that lead to the halls.

Suk-jin pressed a button and watched as the large doors opened, revealing the other five members of Running Man. “I mean the entire Running Man cast.” SHINee gasped is shock and appreciation as five other figures coolly walked into the room, wearing lab coats like Suk-jin and Jae-suk.

“Wait, hold up! You’re telling me all thirteen of us have superpowers?” Jonghyun wanted to confirm what he was actually hearing, rubbing the back of his neck in shock.

Key raised an eyebrow at Jonghyun and muttered under his breath. "Twelve you pabo..."

Suk-jin sighed and rolled his eyes in frustration. “I’m being serious guys! I’ll prove it ok?” Suk-jin tensed his body, concentrating as his full body turned transparent. The whole SHINee members gasped in great shock, some almost forgetting to breathe in the moment. “Are you happy now?” The SHINee members slowly nodded, looking at the elders in shock.

“Y-You all have powers like that?” Onew looked at Haha, who smiled and nodded back at him.

“Yes we do, and no we aren’t doing this for a hidden camera prank, yes he is really invisible, and no we don’t have any chicken.” Haha raised his eyebrow as Onew stepped back, startled by everything he had just told him. “And yes, my power is mind reading and control. Are you satisfied?”

Kim Jong-kook walked towards Jae-suk and smiled. “In case it’s not obvious; my power is super strength and Jae-suk hyung’s power is wall crawling.” Everyone watched in amusement as Jong-kook picked up his hyung from behind and threw him in the air. Everyone gasped as the man stuck to the ceiling, and stood up; hanging upside down like it was nothing special.

Jae-suk held his glasses in his hand and stomped his foot in anger. “YAH, KIM JONG-KOOK! I SAID NOT TO DO THAT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!” The younger hero laughed as Jae-suk looked for a way to get down, the ceiling was very high up, and so he didn’t want to risk falling from such a height.

“Don’t worry hyung; I’ll throw Ji-hyo up for company!” Jong-kook called up, chasing after Song Ji-hyo who quickly grew cat ears and a tail in shock, and ran as swiftly as a cat.

“Like hell you will oppa!” Ji-hyo ran to Gary, who quickly multiplied into 4 clones, blocking the commander out of the way.

Taemin watched in shock as he saw his noona turn into a neko. He’d only seen something like that in an anime. “Hyung did you just see that? Ji-hyo noona just grew cat ears and a tail! Hyung did you see that?” Taemin pointed at Ji-hyo, who blushed as the young singer jumped about excited in his cell. “That was so cool! Look how many Gary clones there are! I want to do that!”

Key held up his hands to Taemin and raised his eyebrows. “You better not! It’s hard enough to control one of you! I don’t want five Taemin clones running about in our apartment!” Everyone laughed as Taemin pouted and folded his arms in disappointment.

“I hate to break the mood and everything, but the blood is going to my brain here!” Jae-suk called down to his team, who looked up in amusement.

“Just walk down the wall you pabo!” Suk-jin called, turning visible again next to Jonghyun’s cell, making the singer jump and hold his chest in surprise.

Jae-suk shook his head. “I can’t think properly! Will someone just give me a hand?” Everyone, including the SHINee members, clapped for the hero who started having a temper tantrum. “YAH, THAT’S NOT WHAT I MEANT BY GIVING ME A HAND! SOMEONE GET ME DOWN NOW!”

The maknae of the heroes, Lee Kwang-soo, shook his head and started to stretch until he was at least 20 feet tall. “Hyung, hold onto me and I’ll lift you down.” Everyone watched as Jae-suk wrapped his arms around the ( now very tall) hero. When he had his hyung firmly in his arms, Kwang-soo shrunk back to his normal size and allowed Jae-suk to sit on the floor.

“Ok, so you’ve made your point... You all have superpowers... So what have we got?” Onew asked, praying for a really cool power.

Haha shrugged and looked at a computer screen. “We can’t say just yet. We will have to do some tests first and see what we get. I may be a mind reader, but I can’t predict the future. And Onew, I don’t think making fried chicken appear in your hand is a superpower that you’re likely to get!”

Everyone looked at Onew who folded his arms in disappointment. “Damn it! I really wanted that power!”