Chapter 4

The Last Farewell (The 78th Day)

 

“Even now I don’t forget, from that day forward
living, believing; will this is change into happiness?
Forever, let’s walk together
Proud of your love”

-Proud; Tohoshinki    

 


 

            He bit his lip firmly as he looked out the window. The rays of the sun shone brightly through the thin fabric of the curtain. The crisp chirping of the birds rung through his ears as he peevishly grimaced. It felt as if Mother Nature taunted the fact that he was confined in the wretched hospital.

            Taehyun gingerly pulled the curtain back, taking a full view of the nature behind the windows. It was a beautiful day. The sun shone brighter than usual, the birds sung cheerfully, yet, he was stuck in his assigned room. He furrowed his eyebrows as the birds flew carelessly across the clear sky.

            “Stupid birds…” Taehyun’s childish voice came out bitter. He hated the fact that those mere animals could freely roam the world while he sits all day, being weak and vulnerable. He hated the fact that regular children have the chance to experience a happy childhood, while he helplessly waits for his death. He hated the fact that the sun shines so optimistically, when his sister and him were trapped inside this grim hospital.

            His breath hitched as he thought about his sister.

            Anger slowly overtook him as he mindlessly beat his pillow. His sister doesn’t deserve to be in her current state. It was that man’s fault that she is blind. Why is that man outside, roaming freely with no care in the world, while his sister is suffering because of his stupid mistakes?

            Taehyun pushed the soft blankets to the side and jumped off his bed. He grabbed a hold of his glass of water and swallowed his prescribed pills. He tied his identification tag around his wrist and made his way to his sister’s room. Even though it was too late, but he knew he had to do something.

 


           

           Hana cautiously walked towards the bench located in front of her assigned room. She reached out and patted gently on the cold metal, feeling that it is unoccupied. She let out a loud sigh and sat down, not attempting to hold back her tears. Hana could not believe the misfortune that the nurse told her. Her 10 year old brother only has a certain amount of time left to live. He has not even lived up his teenage years, yet his life is being shortened by the second. She quietly sniffed and continued to allow the tears to fall.

            “A penny for your thoughts?” A husky voice approached her and sits to the seat next to her. “What’s wrong?” Hana, feeling the presence next to her, hastily wipes her tears and stood up.

            “I’m sorry.” She bowed. Kyuhyun arched his eyebrow and let out a low laugh.

            “And for what are you apologizing for?” He smartly replied, smiling as the familiar girl shifted uncomfortably. That girl, Hana, could catch his attention from a mile away. Is it because she accidently stumbled into his room that made her so different? Or is it possibly her eye catching black hair? Or maybe… it’s pity? Kyuhyun didn’t know. It was just something about her that makes him allured and curious.

             “Aren’t you the guy that stays at the room across the hall from my brother? I’m sorry for bursting into your room last night.” Hana bit her lower lip and bowed gently.

            Kyuhyun, rather than being surprised, held an amused expression. “How did you know it was me?”

            “Have anyone ever told you that you have a very distinctive voice?” Hana exhaled loudly, letting out a dark smile. “I knew someone that was a big fan of yours…”

            “Knew?” He, once again, raised his eyebrow at her.

            “An old friend of mine…” Kyuhyun sensed the uneasiness and quickly changed the subject.

            “So, you didn’t answer my question yet… What’s wrong?”

            Hana pursed her lips. The transition of questions only made her feel worse. “It’s nothing.” She stood up and bowed to Kyuhyun again. “Thanks for asking though.” She started to feel her way back to her room, but an audible grunt stopped her.

            “Ouch. My stomach!” Kyuhyun’s voice dramatically called out to Hana. He didn’t want her to leave yet, for he was still curious.

            “Yah, you okay?” Hana carelessly ran towards Kyuhyun. She blindly reached out for him, nearly poking his eyes out in the process.

            “Yeah, I’m fine. My back is just a bit sore, that’s all.”

            “I thought it was your stomach?” Hana questioned as she raised her eyebrow.

            “Oh… Er, Yeah my stomach hurts too. But I’m okay!” He crookedly smiled. “You know,” Kyuhyun rapidly switched gears, “I never actually had a real conversation with a… female…”

            Hana chortled at his lame comment. Judging from his tone, she sensed that he wanted to continue the conversation with her. Even for a blind girl, it was quite obvious. “Well, there’s always a first time for everything.”

            “You’re supposed to comfort me and tell me that I’m too handsome and popular.”

            “I don’t even know what you look like, or how popular you are.” Hana’s words came out fast and sharp.

            Kyuhyun snorted, “I’m joking. So, have you heard any of my songs?”

            She shook her head.

            “Really?! You’re missing out! Come, follow me!” Kyuhyun grabbed her hand and led her to his room. “I’ll sing for you!”

            Hana helplessly followed Kyuhyun, giggling as he started to go on about his ‘large’ fan base.

            “Hey…” Hana tugged on his hand, “I know you’re famous and all, but I truthfully do not know your name.”

            “Cho Kyuhyun!” He answered, distracted by the numbers planted next to each door. “You could call me the Almighty Kyu if you’d like.”

            Hana smiled, “I think Kyu would be fine.”

            “I know I’m fine. You don’t have to tell me that.” She laughed at his cheesy praise and flicked his arm. Kyuhyun cracked a smile, playfully ruffling her hair.

            This could be the start of a new friendship.

 


 

 

            Taehyun turned the door knob, double checking to see if Hana was in there. He let a relieved sigh when he found no trace of his sister. After he let himself in, he quietly walked towards the cabinet in the far corner. He pulled the second drawer, revealing multiple pictures. Taehyun rummaged through the amount as he searched for a specific one. He paused when the image of his parents came up. He shot it a quick glare and continued his previous actions.

            Once Taehyun found his targeted picture, his plump lips pulled up to a wry smile. The man in the picture held a charismatic look, posing for the camera. Taehyun admits that the man is quite handsome, with his defined jawlines and his charming grin, even so, Taehyun did not like him one bit. He knew those were the reasons why his sister loved that man, but he never understood how she could tolerate such a nuisance. He hates that man with a burning passion, an emotion that no child should ever feel. That man is the cause of his sister’s sickness. That man is the reason why his sister is unhappy. And that man, needed to be reported to the police.

            “Ok Taecyeon… you’re done for.” The boy poked the photograph furiously and placed it in his pocket. After, he made way back to his room.



 

 

            Just as Taehyun arrived in front of his door, a wave of nausea hit him. His legs became jello-like and his vision became hazy. He felt as if all the life in him was out and thrown away. Taehyun staggered forward, but fell down in the process. His stomach churned and let out an unpleasant noise. Then, he heard a voice.

            “Taehyun!” He lifted his head up slightly, to see a blurred figure running up to him. Before he could recognize the figure, Taehyun out.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sup' Chicas! I'm back :D 

No one commented >< Even when I begged in the last Author's note. (Which I deleted btw) 

*sigh. Anyways, I updated either way ._. 

Character/Chapter Analyzation Time! 

This chapter is fairly important. Kyuhyun befriends Hana, and manages to cheer her up. Notice how she states that Taehyun only has a certain amount of time to live. Yes, very sad indeed. Hana also mentions that a "friend" (*hinthintex-friend) is a fan of Kyuhyun and that his voice is very distinctive. It may seems weird that she recognizes his voice, but remember, she's blind. Her senses are stronger than normal. She also stops crying right away when encountering Kyuhyun, which shows that she dislikes putting up a weak image in front of people. 

Now on to Taehyun.

As you can see, Taehyun is a very bitter child. Now, he once wasn't like that when he was younger, but because of a few events, his image of life changed. He holds a grudge to 'that man' , which is later revealed to be Taecyeon. He is also negative towards everything and is jealous of the people/things that have the ability to freely live. He has been hospitalized for a year for leukimia, from age 9-10; While Hana for over half a year. He also blmaes Taecyeon for their unhappiness. During that age, children start developing social skills and enjoy their childhood. Taehyun is restricted from that because of his life at the hospital. He secretly goes into his sister's room to look for a picture of Taecyeon. After he finds it, he goes back to his room but faints along the way.

What will happen to Taehyun? Why did he retrieve the picture of Taecyeon? What did Taecyeon do to make Taehyun so bitter? 

Stay tune and find out! 

And please do comment T^T