Guilt

The Last Farewell (The 78th Day)

 

“April 19, 2007

*Breaking News* Super Junior members Kyuhyun, Leeteuk, Eunhyuk and Shindong, along with two managers, have been involved in a car accident after a late-night session of KBS Kiss the Radio.  While they were on the highway, the front left tire busted as the driver was switching lanes and the van ran into the guard rail/medium on the driver's side and skidded for about 30M+. At some point, the momentum caused the van to flip over on its right side. Kyuhyun, seated behind the driver’s seat, had been the most injured. He is reported to have broken foot, fractured hip, broken ribs, and facial scratches/bruises. The fractured hip had been bleeding profusely and his broken ribs have come down on his lungs. He had already gone through tracheal resection surgery to improve his breathing. They made a 1-2cm incision in his chest and inserted a-“

 

Leeteuk threw the two-month old newspaper across coffee table. His bandmates’ reckless laughter (for they were playing the game “Twister) did not help his forming migraine. His hand made its way through the softness of his hair as his guilty blood-shot eyes glared at the stack of papers. As the leader, Leeteuk did not feel comfortable about the situation. He should have been the one that is currently being hospitalized, not the magnae for goodness sake. The stress is slowly suffocating him as his weariness piled on. His brain ran miles thinking about how physically young Kyuhyun is, heck, the boy’s mentality was of child’s! He already worried enough about Kyuhyun through daily basis; ten years left Leeteukafter the accident. He let out a loud sigh, causing the Super Junior members to freeze in their awkward positions.

 

“Hyung?” Sungmin cautiously broke the silence. He got up from his position, leaving three members tumbling down on the floor.  

 

“What?!” The leader slammed his hand against the couch. Heechul, sensing the obvious tension in the atmosphere, nudged Sungmin. Sungmin nodded and left along with the rest of the members, catching on that the hard-headed Heechul would deal with Leeteuk.

 

“Yah. What’s wrong?” The younger man asks as he watched the stressed one cringing from the minor pain on his hand.

 

“Ahh. Nothing.” Leeteuk rubbed his hand.

 

“It’s Kyuhyun, isn’t it. He’s going to be ok for goodness sake! How many times do I have to get that into your god damn head?”

 

“He has only a 20 percent chance of living! The boy is only 19 and his life is already being shortened.” The words that came out of his mouth were new to Heechul.

 

“T-Twenty?! WHAT? The doctor said he was going to be fine! N-No… Kyuhyun is strong... Our little Kyu… is strong…” Heechul’s voice started to crack and fade. Leeteuk’s fist clenched.

 

“We should’ve taken the other van; it was my fault in the first place. I told them to take the white van…”

 

“Stop it! Stop blaming yourself! You are not the blame. Kyuhyun is going to be fine. He’s not a little boy anymore, have hope in him.” Heechul’s words came out settled again, hitting realization across Leeteuk’s head.

 

Leeteuk sighed. He had enough of the same déjà vu conversation “Alright, I will.” He got up the couch and made his way to his room. He wanted to hope for Kyuhyun’s safety, his palms itched for it. He just couldn’t have that optimistic thought. Leeteuk had tried many times to convince himself that the magnae was going to be ok. He failed miserably after ‘nth time, there was no point into lying to himself.

 

Leeteuk lay down on his white-fabricated bed. His mind battled with itself; his thoughts pounded against his skull as his migraine grew. His hand desperatly reached towards his cabinet, pulling open the second drawer in hasty movements. The clumsy motion knocked over the bottle of Aspirin, the tiny leftover amount spilled inside the cabinet.

"." The leader cursed and got up to fixed the mess he created. Just then, a soft vibration buzzed from his pocket. The headache submerged, blurrying his vision as he tried to read the contact number. 

"Hello?" His voice croaked. 

"Hyung..?" A weak voice came from the other side.

"KYUHYUN?! How are you?! Are you alright?!" The weak croaking became restless.

"Hyung... Aish calm down. I'm not a kid anymore, I-" Kyuhyun stopped mid-sentence and a loud clang came from the other end.

"KYUHYUN. WHAT HAPPENED?! KYUHYUN." Leeteuk gripped his cellular device harder. All he heard were ruffling sounds. 

"Nothing Hyung! I just dropped the phone. It's ok." A distant fragile voice assured him. "Anyways, Like I was saying, I'm not a child anymore! I'm strong~"

Leeteuk smiled at his dongsaeng's confidence. "Well, Mr. Manly, how is the hospital food?"

"Don't call me that hyung. It tastes... gross"

 

Kyuhyun made a small "bleh" sound and continued to babble on.

Leeteuk felt like hundreds of tons lifted off his chestafter hearing that his magnae was alright. But it didn't mean the guilt left him; the guilt that came to him for treating Kyuhyun wrong when they first met. The cold words that he use to spit in Kyuhyun's face every time he was annoyed by the child's curiosity. Since the accident, Leeteuk tells himself everyday to cherish s.

Leeteuk made a small "Mmmh" sound to encourage Kyuhyun to talk more. The more the boy talked, the more Leeteuk couldn't hold in his emotions. Tears spilled out, soft whimpers were heard through the phone.

"So I was like- HYUNG ARE YOU CRYING?" Kyuhyun gasped.

The elder couldn't help but chuckle about how much the kid talked, even if he was not in the state to do so. "I'm fine Kyu. I'm just happy you're ok."

"Hyung is such a crybaby~~" Kyuhyun's voice cooed.

"Yah shut up. Look it's almost 11pm, looks like the little KyuKyu have to sleep." Leeteuk laughed his crazy laugh, recalling how much Kyuhyun hated having to sleep at a specific time.

"Fine. I'm tired from talking to an old man like you anyways. Bye Hyung, Good Night~" His deep voice faintly said.

"Night." Leeteuk smiled and hung up. Wiping off his tears, Leeteuk laid on his soft bed. Seems like the Magnae has grown up.

====

Credit to: Asianfantics for the information about the accident.

Please comment ): It gets lonely LOL