Chapter Two.

The Last Farewell (The 78th Day)

 

“Someone to save you
What you need is
Someone to save you”

 

~------------------------------♬~

 

       The rain drops pattered against the building’s rooftop as Cho Kyuhyun stared out the window curiously. Being hospitalized on the second floor, he could see what was happening across the street, in the parking lot, the houses nearby and so on. His eyes shifted back and forth across the houses that were in a neat line formation, glimmers of soft light flickered against each window. He sighed as he imagined an aroused laughter coming from the houses, a warm smiling family to watch “Jeopardy” with. He had not had that chance in a while, Super Junior’s popularity has been rising (Because of a certain magnae he may say), which meant more schedules. In addition, Kyuhyun had been in the hospital for two months- two dreaded months of being alone in a boring white room. Well besides visiting hours of course; but it irked him how they got to roam freely outside and how he stayed inside for 24-7. Not that it was safe outside anyways. Fans swarmed around the hospital, curving around the corners of the giant building a few days ago. Kyuhyun smiled, happy that his fans stayed inside today in their cozy homes instead of waiting for him in the skin piercing cold.

       He bit his lips, ripping off the dry skin, as his long fingers fumbled with the TV Remote. A small piercing noise came from the TV and the news flooded onto the screen. Kyuhyun’s pupils dilated seeing the two month old news report. His hands began to shake violently, beads of sweat slid down his discolored face. In a split second, batteries scattered across the floor along with a broken remote controller. Raspy wheezing echoed across the confined barren room as Kyuhyun’s vision filled with blurred objects. Images ran inside his mind- images of himself in that bloody scene. The image of his body lying limply in the secluded corner, Leeteuk with glass shards jabbing into his back, Eunhyuk running over and calling out Kyuhyun’s name pounded inside his brain. The smell of rust clogged his nose. His tensioned body jerked to the left, causing him to fall off the mattress on the cold hard surface. He laid there, detached from the IVs, silent in the pile of blood that form around his body.

 

====

 

       A stinging pain came from his face as Kyuhyun stirred awake. He opened his eyelids to see his hyungs hovering over him. Heechul stood by Kyuhyun’s bed as Eunhyuk and Ryeowook stood by the door, glaring at their hyung.

       “Heechul Hyung! Why did you slap him?! He looked so peaceful sleeping!” Eunhyuk ran over to Kyuhyun to see if he was bruised from the hit. Being Kyuhyun, he rubbed his cheek and shoved Eunhyuk away.

       “Peaceful?! It looked like he was having a heart attack or like some ghost was haunting his dreams! I didn’t want him to be laying there sweating like a pig. Besides, we’ve been here for three hours now! He has to at least acknowledge our presence.” Heechul rolled his eyes.

       “Wait- What? You guys were here for three hours?” Kyuhyun looked at his arm; an IV was perfectly attached to it. He eyed the floor looking for some hint of blood but found nothing but spotless tiles.

       “Yeah… You were sweating so much we had to change your pillow cases twice.” Ryeowook shot him a weird and pointed to the small pile of fabric underneath a TV remote. Kyuhyun inanely stared at the unscathed remote. His eye twitched.

       “Well the nurse said you are getting better now, you should be discharged in about two to three weeks.” Eunhyuk smiled through his gums. “Leeteuk said that he’s going to buy you a new laptop too!”

       “Really?!”

       “No. But he got you this.” Eunhyuk snickered and dug through his navy blue bag, pulling out a small notebook. “He wants you to ‘write about your experiences inside a hospital’” His voice went higher as he mimicked Leeteuk’s words. Kyuhyun’s eyebrows rose as he reached out for the white book. His clammy hands flipped through the light blue pages, carefully eyeing its features. A soft metallic blue ribbon fell out of the thin pages, while the pages contained even blue lines sweeping horizontally across the book. A faint wing design covered the center in the background lightly as feathers gathered in the corner of the page. Kyuhyun admitted that the book was very well designed as pretty, but what was he supposed to write? “I’m bored.”? He placed the book on the windowsill and turned his attention to his hyungs.

       “So how are schedules going?”

       “Everything’s going great, but this anti is getting on my nerves,” Heechul started. “First of all she accused me of-”

       “Excuse me but visiting hours are over.” A soft voice called out, stopping Heechul from continuing his rant. They nodded, let out a sigh and trudged towards the door.

       “Bye Kyuhyun! Be a good kid and don’t cause the noonas anymore trouble.” Ryeowook mused and with a wave good-bye, Kyuhyun was once again alone. He sighed and the TV, silently hoping that the same incident in his so-called dream wouldn’t happen. Spongebob came on, causing Kyuhyun to smile with joy. Oh how he loves Spongebob.

 

====

 

       After many laughs, giggles and milk squirting out of nostrils, Kyuhyun finished his two hour long Spongebob marathon. Clearly satisfied, he opened his Angel Notebook and doodled in a few happy faces. He tried drawing his Donghae hyung but “Donghae” ended up looking like a goldfish cracker. He frowned and was about to try again but a light knock on the door stopped him.

       “Sorry but visiting hours are over!” He called out as if the person on the other side could hear him. The wooden door swung open, surprising Kyuhyun that there was a girl standing by the doorway.

       “I-I’m sorry but fans are not allowed-“  

       “Taehyun? Is that you?” The voice from the doorway called out.

       “Excuse me?”

       “Taehyun, Noona finally has a story to tell you.” The girl gushed with happiness, her eyes trailing towards the ceiling blankly. Kyuhyun, confused, couldn’t do anything but stare at the strange girl. Her long hair draped down until her mid-back messily, which didn’t at all help calm Kyuhyun’s nerves. Her skin was very pale- pale to the fact that Kyuhyun felt like he was staring at the sun’s rays just by looking at her.

       “Hana? Where are you?” A gentle voiced called out for the deranged girl that was apparently named Hana. “Oh My! I’m sorry!” the nurse bowed to Kyuhyun. “This is the wrong room Hana. Your brother’s room is two doors down.” She whispered to ‘Hana’.

       “Seriously?! Oh My Gosh, I’m so sorry!” Hana bowed a few times, facing the wrong direction. Kyuhyun knitted his eyebrows and nodded. The nurse led her out of the room, shutting the door behind her. After a few seconds of him trying to put all of the pieces together on what just happened, the nurse came back to his room.

       “I’m sorry for what Hana did… I hope she didn’t disturb you too much. She was looking for her younger brother that is a few doors down. With that vision of hers we tell her to never leave her room by herself but she doesn’t listen. Persistent child.”  The nurse tsk-ed and shook her head.

       “What’s wrong with her vision?”  Kyuhyun inquired.

       “I’m afraid she’s blind, temporary blindness at that.” A loud crashing noise echoed through the hallway, causing the nurse to jump. “I’m sorry for taking up your time, sir. Good Night!”  The door clicked shut abruptly.

       Kyuhyun awkwardly turned his head forward and tried to process everything that has happened. He picked up his Angel book and began writing.

 

“June 15th-

Today I had an encounter with someone strange.

There is something about her that makes me want to know more.

Her name: ‘Hana’

Curiosity kills the mind.

 

-Cho Kyuhyun

Currently Confused.”