Chapter 3

The Last Farewell (The 78th Day)

 

     His long finger swept through the cloud of warm breath as his other arm pulled up his loose pants. For some odd reason, all of his clothing had become somewhat larger in size. Kyuhyun chuckled in the cold, calm air, creating more visible vapors. Trotting slowly, he crossed the road; of course before doing so, he eyed the quiet street, checking for cars. The lamppost flickered as the cricket chirped continuously. Leaves ruffled in the nearby tree, causing a lone crisp leaf to sail off towards the full moon. A few stars peeked through the blanket of clouds, shining their beauty as Kyuhyun smiled admiringly towards the night sky.

      “If only…” He muttered. He rubbed his wet eyes resentfully. With a sniffle, Kyuhyun picked up his pace towards his destination.

 


 

     Hana lifted her knees up to her chest as she listened to the heaving of Taehyun’s chest. Gentle snores escaped his lips.

     “Does he know yet?” She quietly muttered.

     “No, I don’t plan on telling him either, poor child.” Hana opened her cloudy eyes; the nurse’s breath shook as she saw the pain reflecting off of the girl’s blank eyes.

     “It’s best if you don’t.” Hana closed her eyes once again.

 


 

 

       Kyuhyun lifted his warm cocoa drink up to his lips as he gazed at the blank wall, a bad habit of his. He shifted against the bench as he lifted his legs up onto the remaining seat. Warmth devoured his body as Kyuhyun drank the sweet drink. His skin crawled from the overwhelming cozy feeling. He crushed the cup and threw it in the bin as he stood up to purchase another drink.

       He slickly withdrew a quarter from his back pocket and slid it into the slot. Kyuhyun pulled out a Styrofoam cup from the dispenser, gently placing it onto the machine. His eyes followed the stream of hot liquid pouring down into the cup. As he lifted the drink, slight sniffling echoed throughout the empty hallway. Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow as he saw a small figure crying by his room.

 

 


 

     

      Quick feet shuffled through the green grass. The night engulfed the tears the man shed. The drizzling of the rain seemed as if the sky too, mourned over his loss. He fell on his knees, in front a stone as his over-sized jeans became damp from the mud. His perfect fingers traced the engraving of the stone. The man silently prayed, rain seeping through his clothes, as he placed the bundle of roses next to the granite. He numbly wiped his wet face, confused whether or not it was from his own tears or the rain. A slight buzz of vibration broke through the pattering sound of rain drops. He quietly muttered a few curse words under his breath as he retrieved his phone from his soaked pocket.

      “What?” He carelessly slurred.

      “Where the hell are you?!” His hyung’s voice echoed out.

      “I-”

      “No excuses. Get back to the dorms right now. You have schedules tomorrow.”

      “Fine,” The man abruptly hung up. Within a few seconds, his phone received a text message.

      =You better get your here right now Kyuhyun.

           -Leeteuk.=

      Kyuhyun glared at his IPhone. He stood up and ran his hand through his wet hair as he gave a last glance at the granite grave stone. Kyuhyun gently smiled, and pressed his lips onto the cold, slick surface. “Why did you leave me?”