This Soon?

To List Or Not To List

During our coffee and croissant break, Baekhyun fills me in about his amazing trip to Japan with his new fiancé Chanyeol. I don’t think he’s consciously using his left hand to do everything: eat, drink, and fix his hair… everything, so I don’t think too much about it. Every time, the ring reflects the light and gleams at me, I can’t help the envious jolt that runs through me.

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun visited Japan, met with his family (who were also there), took a mini cruise somewhere I’ve never heard of, and ate lots of Japanese food. The people were wonderful, a good lot of them spoke Korean, and Chanyeol proposed in some place with a crap-load of cherry blossoms the exact color of the strawberry cream in the crepes Baekie loves so much. I’m trying to focus on his words, but the child in me is screaming to get a word into the conversation. Really, Baekhyun is sometimes like the ‘older sister’ I never had, and while I’m ecstatic that his life is all picture perfect, I really need him to help me sort my life out right now.

 

“It all sounds amazing,” I try bravely, narrowing my eyes against the light bouncing off that huge ring. Baekhyun is a good friend. He helped me get my chance at this promotion and listened to me drone on and on about Seungri for weeks. “Have you guys decided on a date yet?”

 

“Probably not for a good while,” he says flippantly. “I’m pretty sure we’ll just wait until next year. Between planning someone else’s wedding for a living and being Himchan’s maid of honor this summer, we’ll both be pretty booked. Besides, we did kind of rush into this decision…”

 

His smile bends into a frown and his brown eyes come up to meet mine, looking for approval, maybe. I offer a consoling smile to him, because I have absolutely no right to pass any kind of judgment at this point. Baekhyun and Chanyeol really did get engaged pretty quickly; only a couple of months after dating, the thought of doing anything remotely similar is giving me hives. I can’t help but worry for Baekhyun, hoping he knows what he’s doing, and absolutely mortified at the thought of marrying someone without a full list in hand.

 

“But at least I don’t have to worry about hiring a wedding planner. Pros of the job,” Baekhyun says after several moments of tense silence, still smiling. I nod, allowing the awkward air to surround us.

 

With a glance at his hand, he straightens up with a grin on his lips. I return his smile as well I can, holding my tongue.

 

“Aren’t you scared?” I ask suddenly, after taking a chug of my coffee. “Getting married to Chanyeol so fast?”

 

“Well, I think when someone’s right for you; you really don’t have any regrets, right?” He beams. I pout, unable to keep the concern off my face. I push my mildly burnt tongue into the inside of my cheek. “Joonmyun, you’ll understand when you meet the right one.”

 

And when exactly will that be? Ever? Who knows?

 

“Enough about me,” he sits up straighter. “How’s Seungri?”

 

Wiggling in my seat, the only thing I can say is, “Over.” As impatient as I was to inform him, I suddenly feel sick to my stomach.

 

“Well, that’s what you wanted, isn’t it?” he says studying my expression. “You said you were going to end it before I left.”

 

I shrug, looking down into my coffee cup. “Yeah, I did.”

 

“So what’s the issue here?”

 

I shake my head. “There isn’t one.”

 

Baekhyun gave me a warning look, stops for a moment, and then stands; dusting off his slacks. “Ok then, let’s head back to work.”

 

A/N: Truthfully? i think this is just a filler chapter, but wateva! If u guys r happy so am I. Here's ur engaged Baekyeol ppl. I should be getting back on track for the story soon. So Sulay is coming soon, and perhaps someone should show up for our little Xiao Lu?

 

Comments much appreciated (as much as Lay's dimple). Sub and Upvote too plz <3