Trying to Work!

To List Or Not To List

Well there goes my morning. I almost break into an all-out sprint the rest of the way to XOXO Celebrations a whole four minutes off track. I’m still 18 minutes early for work but on my own schedule, I’m freaking late. I need that extra time to get myself in order, check my emails, make a to do list, enjoy my coffee…

 

it all! My coffee!

 

As I move across the lobby to the elevator, my shoes thudding against the tiled floor, I nod to Seunghyun the security guard. He nods back, as he has done every day since I started working here, but we never really talk. Everything there is to know about Seunghyun, I know from his blog, A Guards Job, which I’m pretty sure the company is paying for. I press the up button on the elevator, pointedly ignoring the empty feeling in my left hand without my coffee held there. The elevator doors open. I enter, all the while making a Ways to Improve Job Performance list in my head. I  have to make up for lost time.

 

Without taking my mind of the task, I get off the elevator, down the hall, and past Seungri’s desk, where I leave the box containing the key and a note that read “So Sorry. –J.” Much less confrontational this way. When I reach my desk, I’m already fifteen items on the list. Pleased, I put up my coat and notice that it has a stain on it from this morning’s coffee accident. A coffee splash mocks me from the left lapel. I take calming breaths and spend about two minutes running over my encounter with tattoo piercing guy who made a bad impression on me, not to mention on my jacket. It’s okay; Seoul’s a pretty big city. There’s little chance I’ll ever see him again.

 

And I have assignments to get done.

 

Geared with a list of my new goals, I reluctantly grab a cup of office coffee the stuff is disgusting, allow myself a moment to grieve over my lost Caramel Macchiato, and get into my work to-do list in intense concentration.

 

#1: Return Nam Jandi’s 8 messages. Not quite yet. I have some time before I have to plan her brother’s retirement party but she’s already harassing me about it. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’ll be our most demanding client. But she’s also the richest, so it doesn’t really matter.

 

But I swear she’s the spawn of a heathen. I don’t easily get scared of the customer’s we have, but I’ve never worked with someone like Jandi.

 

#2: Solidify Thursday's meeting with the Xi Family. That should be the easiest thing I have to do. I hurriedly leave a voicemail for Zhang Liang, son in law of Xi Feng, Feng is turning seventy this weekend and Mr. Zhang and I have been working to plan his birthday party since I came into office. He’s a really good guy, a little conservative, but always polite. Nowhere close to how Jandi is. At least I’ll have something easy going to look forward to this week.

 

#3: Get back to replying to office emails. The little devil on my shoulder is saying that I should just delete and ignore these. All eight of the Event Managers, Lee Seungri included, seem to be in this little imaginary world where I’m evidently here to serve them. The continuous complaints of Where are those papers, Did so and so call back yet…. And Do you still have the guest list for… emails are grating at my last nerves. But I can’t delete them. Stupid over-achiever.

 

“Joonmyun!”

 

Shocked by the sudden voice interrupting my thoughts, I close my email tab and turn to find Baekhyun standing just inside of my cubicle doorway. His skin is a fair color, making his already white teeth sparkle even more, along with his dazzling brown eyes. His currently bronze  hair was professionally done and looked perfect. He looks amazing and absolutely ecstatic

 

“Baekie!” I leap up, enveloping him in a hug. He’s my closest friend in this company, and I missed him while he was on vacation for the last few weeks. “How was your trip?”

 

Without a word, he lifts his left hand and wiggles it, showing me a five-carat engagement ring. When people refer to diamonds as ‘rocks’, this is what they mean. Baekhyun is positively beaming, his smile matching the rings sparkle.

 

“Oh. My. Freak!” I hug him again, pushing down the memory of my dinner with Seungri. Who on earth puts a key in a ring box, anyway? “Congratulations, Baekie-ah!”

 

“Thanks,” he says, his cheeks gaining a pink tint. “So care to join me for a cup of coffee? I know you have a lot to do, but we really need to catch up.”

 

There was a time, not so far back, when I had to plead with Baekhyun to make time for me. I look back at my desk, and immediately make up my mind.

 

“Deal,” I say, getting my stained coat. At least it doesn’t smell bad. “Down the yellow brick road?”

 

“Is that what we’re calling the road to Starbucks’s nowadays?” he chuckles.

 

As we make our way towards the elevator, I look over my shoulder one last time and admit defeat. I know that I’ll never get anything done now. Damn it!

 

A/N: So ummm… yeah. Y am I always so tired? But seriously, I hope u like this chapter. Who do u guys want me to put together with Baekhyun? Cause I really have no idea about it.

 

Sub, comment, and upvote if u like. Bye

<33

Cr. for pic goes to rightful owner.